Debit Card Fraud/Amazon.com

I noticed on my online banking statement that there were a few unauthorized charges from "Amazon Digital Services". I immediately called my bank and then I spoke to Amazon Customer Service. They said they would investigate the charges. The next day I received an email from Amazon stating that the charges were fraudulent. It does, however, seem that I am not entitled to know who made these charges. Amazon said they have to protect ALL their customers (I guess even the guilty party). I have to file a police report and Amazon will give the information to the police.

I am always very careful with my credit cards, I would love to know exactly how this happened....

Jackie Jackie
Nov '11

Never ever ever use a debit card to shop on line, pay pal only or a major credit card with 0 liability

shoebie shoebie
Nov '11

I have a separate checking account that I use for online purchases - I only keep a small balance in that account for when I am going to buy something online. This way my main checking account is protected. I don't believe in credit cards, I don't believe in buying anything that I can't afford. No credit cards = no debt! These fraudulent charges were only $18 but still wondering how it happened.

Jackie Jackie
Nov '11

I use my credit card daily and I am not in debt . Oh and I have tons of rewards points. As for credit cards being used fraudently it has happened to me several times. I also know of friends who have had tips added to thier cards at local restaurants. Check your statement always and save all reciepts.

superman
Nov '11

You don't have believe in using credit cards and carrying a balance, but you do need one if you want to build credit, rent a hotel or a car, or even for an emergency. Also, the liability between debit cards and credit cards is much different. A debit card, if you were to find fraudulent charges, could take months to get that money back... if the bank choses to, because they don't have to return the money, even tentitively, by law until the investigation is complete. Whereas a credit card, if there is any amount in dispute, it has to be made available during the dispute process immedietly..
Credit cards are safer because they aren't linked to the money you rely for bills, ect..

You don't have to keep a balance every month, but you do need one in today's day and age.. Esspecially to build credit, since revolving credit is factored in your Fico score in the realm of about 35%..

But, to digress... If you were using a card and number that you use only online, then there is no doubt in my mind that there is malicious software on your computer.. Spyware. Depending on what websites you visit, spyware downloads without you knowing and it sends all of your information to a third party, mainly your cookies, which if read properly contain your card numbers, address, social ect...
The other possibility is that if you have ever used an ATM or a retailers debit/credit card processing machine. The new scam is to attach readers on the ATMs to copy the card information and send it remotely.. Retailers machines are also very commonly compromised because when you swipe your card, the information is all stored on a server somewhere. All a ID thief has to do is get into that server, and they have access to an unlimited about of data. This happened about two years ago with 7Eleven.. about 100k card numbers were compromised..

On a side note, most ID thieves will send a couple tiny transactions through the card to make sure it is active, maybe a dollar or two... Sometimes if you don't catch it quick enough, your whole account could be wiped out..

Use a credit card, it's a lot safer. A separate debit account is a good idea, but still not as safe.. Your liable for a lot more than you know.. Unfortunately, you won't find this out until it's a substantial amount of money and the bank choses to be DBs..

Hanko Hanko
Nov '11

I seem to recall reading somewhere that someone trying to steal your CC# will send out a test charge first, for a small amount, to see if it goes through (card still active) and to see if you notice....they will then proceed to larger purchases.

I had a friend who had a big issue with Amazon last year and fraudulent charges, so I watch my purchases from there very carefully.

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Nov '11

Lately, I have noticed a $1 charge when we buy gas.......I thought it was just to test the card before filling the tank......because then later, that $1 charge is gone and its the correct amount.......I better check my statement carefully now!

Hastings Resident Hastings Resident
Nov '11

I went into my online banking account to check my balance and found that I had 53 charges from amazon digital services, all in one day! these were definately fraduelant charges! I too will never know who made these charges.

MARGIE
Mar '12

i just went on to make a payment on my credit card and had these too, also from amazon digital services. what a pain to be on hold for a half hour and close the card and everything!!

daytripper daytripper
Mar '12

I always use my debit card to buy things from Amazon. Have never had a problem. I looooove Amazon...I always work it out so I get free shipping and I save a lot of time and gas going to the store to buy things.

person person
Mar '12

Just had to close my bank account because of fraudulent charges from Amazon digital services. Never heard of using the credit card vs debit card for everything, but will do that from now on! Such a pain.

Thanks for the tip!

I was charged for a membership with Amazon Prime which actually wasnt approved by me. They did charged twice for it. $70 Twice.

I have only took part in the FREE membership trial. Even i wasnt able to trace any information regarding it on my email account.

Already on the dispute.
Reported this transaction on http://www.vcharges.com/amazon-com-a3

Nicky Nicky
May '14

This was a DEBIT CARD WITHDRAWAL DIRECTLY FROM HER BANK ACCOUNT FOLKS!!! - wake up - and stop beating your chest over being so non-credit card virtuous preachings!

What happened to Jackie, just happened me last week and showed on my online bank statement as the following . . .

12/12 Amazon Digital Svcs
-9.99 -6.17

POS PURCHASE MERCHANT PURCHASE TERMINAL 469216 Amazon Digital Svc s 866 216 1 WA 12-11-14 XXXXXXXXXXXX5153

>>> What this means is - that someone has used my debit card number on Amazon and that neither the security around my debit card was protected by my bank or Amazon . . . as was not for Jackie. Period.

I had to file a dispute via my bank and cut up the debit card. They will be sending me a new debit card arriving in 10-20 business days. Luckily I have another debit card with another bank - so that I can still purchase things online, as needed.

Hope this helps Jackie :)))

Ginger Ginger
Dec '14

Ginger, if you had used an actual credit card instead of a debit card you would not be out any money unless an investigation shows you did the charges. I have had disputes with charges on credit cards and never had to pay a cent. never lost a cent. They removed the charge, made the company submitting the charge prove I charged the item or service. Credit cards are also better if you so any travelling. The hold on a debit card for a car rental, often $300 or more, could be 10 or more days until you can use that money again.

10-20 business days for a new debit card? That's absurd. I have never waited longer than 4 days for a replacement. I would find a different bank asap.

Usually 7-10 days from PNC

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

is paypal any safer if it's hooked up to a debit card?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Yes, PayPal has a fraud policy and will credit accounts -- best to report right away and I believe there is a 60 report policy (report after 60 days and you are SOL).

thanks,

so if a debit card is used to back up a paypal account consumers have better protections?

anyone ever have an issue with a debit card used with paypal?

can paypal be used with amazon?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

I don't use debit cards - except at an atm to take out cash - consistently there have been reports that credit cards are safer............
I use paypal all the time with a credit card - no problems and amazon with the same credit card............Once last summer pnc called me - some store- probably home depot though they wouldn't say - had problems and they had canceled my credit card - sent a new one - yes it took them too long - over a week to replace the card - but I appreciate their vigilance.....

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

The big thing with PayPal is you never give your credit, debit, or bank account numbers to the other end. PayPal does any bank transaction if it's needed. The down side to that is if PayPal itself ever had a large scale breach you'd see one of the biggest bankruptcies in history.

But PayPal can also get back money that never made it back to someone's bank account, and they can also get it back if there's any $ left in a bank account. The Credit or Debits used to fund PayPal transactions are usually secondary sources and not what's backing an account. There's usually a bank account behind it instead.

Even though this thread is over 3 years old.......

Anyway my son has had a problem with his debit card being used illegally and always has had it reversed within 1 to 2 days no problem, I use paypal with a bank account back up and NEVER have had a problem.

Christine Christine
Dec '14

I use PNC and had an issue awhile back, with a fake ebay store website. Long story, and haven't used ebay since.

I contacted the bank when I didn't get my item as well as ebay and paypal was also involved. Had to file a dispute through my bank , they did credit me back right away while they investigated but I did have to wait a week for my new atm card.

I signed up for text message notification when ever any debit goes through my account so I know immediately what transactions are taking place.

Makes more sense to use cash instead of cards in normal day transactions with all the security breaching going on, referring the the latest breach at staples a few days ago.

In PayPal you can have numerous choices on how to fund your purchase, you can use credit cards, debit cards, direct from a checking account, and PayPal credit line. When you check out you can choose any payment form you have registered in PayPal.

You can use any alternate method if you have a zero PayPal balance. If there is something in your PayPal account, then there is no choice.

GC how much is in your PayPal account is totally under your control. If you have money in you can transfer it to your registered bank account at any time. If you want to limit how much you spend you can put in that amount and then only use that and no backup funding. It is the safest and easiest way I have found to pay individuals, companies, and online shopping. I also sell on EBay and love the buyer protection .

I had a Cinnabon show on my debit card. It was for 11.38. Cancelled my card over the phone. Went to TD to get my new card. She said I was the second person to come in with a fraudulent Cinnabon charge. The other persons chsrge was 4.00 and some change. Yes, I have credit card.

Blisa Blisa
Dec '14

i use paypal for some expenses, the one bank account i have comes with a free debit card that i hooked up the debit card number to paypal. should i have used the routing/account numbers from the bank account instead?

i do only keep enough funds in that account that are needed to pay obligations with.

i think i used the debit card on amazon once or twice, i didn;t see a paypal option on amazon, did i miss it? should i remove the debit card info from my amazon account?

i have a verizon wireless bill i use that debit card with, is that risky?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Paypal is owned by ebay, so Amazon won't let it be an option as long as that's the case.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '14

BD this partly answers your question - It's a matter of which leaves you more vulnerable in part - http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/20/pf/expert/debit-credit-cards/

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

If you have a PayPal account you can get a card with a Visa Logo to use on Amazon if you wish. The card is tied to your default payment so you can choose where the charge goes from the card.

from a friend this morning: "Good morning all. BEWARE NOTICE I received a notice from pay pal this am that saying there had been an unauthorized attemp to us my account then asked to fill out attachment to verify I am me. The attachment is bogus, and when I looked at the sender address it is Paype.com not Paypal.com BEWARE do not fill out form spam it"

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

I got charge on my visa .for about 16.00$ -and I didnt order anything please help

Robert Leos Robert Leos
Apr '17

"I got charge on my visa .for about 16.00$ -and I didnt order anything please help"

Call Visa and tell them it as a fraudulent charge. Do not let them tell you it is a 'dispute' because then they don't have to investigate it. Then request a new number.

With full chip adoption 2-3 years away, the simple theft of data on the magnetic strip will increase over the next 2-3 years as it is technology from the 1970s, and any criminal can do it. The next generation of chip thefts will require more skill and fraud should drop but not disappear.

Sign up for text alerts for any charge (over 0.00) so you get an immediate heads up.

Chip and Pin should be the requirement. The fraud on chip and pin transactions is significantly lower in countries that have implemented that technology. Yes it will still occur but not as much. It's a shame the US Banks have not shifted to better technology.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '17

Some other countries also require a pin on credit cards. Chip only plus pin makes fraud much more controllable. In the end it is a business and they just pay the billions in fraud with high interest rates if you do not pay in full every month.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.