Hot Bagels Abroad

hot bagels abroad in flanders located in the mall at 206 will be open tomorrow @ 5:30!

bagellover bagellover
Nov '12

did they get power back or did they get a generator?

Just tried to go in for a bagel
The police& sheriffs are there and would not allow me in. There is a big orange sticker on the door indicating that there is a seizure of the business
Did they not pay their taxes or did the health inspector shut them down?

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Oct '15

ugggh. I liked that bagel joint.

sack
Oct '15

I was in the building when they stormed the place. They locked the door behind them and told everyone to get away from the registers. They let us out one by one. They were definitely people form the State of NJ treasury dept.

Htown onlooker Htown onlooker
Oct '15

Is this the one in Hackettstown or the one in Flanders on 206?

soccrgrl08 soccrgrl08
Oct '15

H-Town by Quick Check

Oct '15

such a shame they were very good to many local organizations and charity functions. wish them good luck and hope for best. By the way H'town onlooker did you get your coffee and bagel?

tigerfan tigerfan
Oct '15

Oh noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! That was my favorite bagel place :(

Sunshine Sunshine
Oct '15

"H-Town by Quick Check" - that seems to contradict the original post, or is it that H-town is closed but Flanders is still open.

One way or the other, it sure sounds like something isn't right here...

The original post in this thread was from November of 2012 when the one in Flanders first opened and has nothing to do with today's events in Hackettstown.

(actually, given the date, it was probably when it RE-OPENED after SS Sandy...)

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

flanders is open,just passed it.

whatsup
Oct '15

when I couldn't get my bagel in htown I went to flanders and got it however the sign on the door says it has been taken over by new owners

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Oct '15

Wait a minute - they detained innocent civilians that were there as customers? With no warrant, probable cause or hot pursuit?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '15

Did somebody say "hot pursuit"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13YGy8ewCw

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Our sources tell us they got everything straightened out - The State had old information from the previous owners - they are back open!

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Oct '15

Ian

I thought you were going for this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gev9fNb0E

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

WINNING - someone mail me an everything flagel

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

Skippy - The last time I sent you a Sub Shack Roundhouse through the USB port both of our computers were a mess. I suggest resisting that urge...

ha ha true!

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

Relieved! I love their bagels!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '15

"The State had old information from the previous owners - they are back open!"

So... something that could have been resolved with a few phone calls instead of rolling in hot to seize the place with sherriffs and other alphabet agencies...

How much did that paperwork issue/response cost NJ taxpayers?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '15

They just wanted to seize some free coffee and bagels...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

not to mention probably causing the staff undue fear.

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

"They just wanted to seize some free coffee and bagels..."

...and Dunkin Donuts breathed a sigh of relief.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '15

One word.

Lawsuit.

Loss of income.

Go for it.

Htowner4ever Htowner4ever
Oct '15

That is horrible thing to happen! Glad I wasn't there. Different subject. So some of you mentioned that there are new owners. Did they take over around 5/6 months ago? That might explain my problem. I am not as happy with the bagles now. They are too chewy. Like they need to bake longer. You can take the inside and make a ball and it will stick together. Anyone else notice this?

Kathy K Kathy K
Oct '15

And the people from the State were complete A-Holes. Not the H-town policemen. I was in their and heard how they were talking to the owner before they let me leave as a patron. Their were 4 minions with the 2 older big shots. Kids about in their mid 20s. The big shot probably told them listen kids let me show you how this is done!!

Oct '15

Yes, Kathy K , I noticed the bagels are different too. To me they seem as they are baked from frozen dough. It's as if they don't make the dough fresh and don't boil the bagels before baking.

Walker Walker
Oct '15

I guess the old owner could bake better bagels but was bad at paying taxes.

hot under the collar
Oct '15

Are we saying Arty the old owner is not there any more. Did he have a special recipe that he took with him.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

CraftBeerBob, Arty had a partner and if i remember right his name is Pat. Arty sold his shares to Pat and moved down south.. Pat is still there as i saw him today. Maybe Pat changed the recipe?

Dadof3
Oct '15

It could be that in the interest of saving time, they're skipping the boiling water step or not leaving them in quite as long as they should before baking.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

If the bagels are chewy then they are boiling them too long. Below is the explanation:

A longer boil and a thicker crust prevents the bagel from rising very much at all, giving you a very dense interior. Sometimes lye or barley malt extract are added to the boiling water. Both of these additions help the crust brown in the oven and also give the crust a distinct flavor

I agree about the bagels not tasting the same. It certainly didn't improve and if anything, it made them worse.

GUNSnROSES
Oct '15

MK

Thanks, apparently I had it backwards about the boiling step! I may have been thinking of "proofing" when I wrote that.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Budd lake bagels are delicious! IMHO

townie14 townie14
Oct '15

The Flanders store has a sign on the door that says
"Under new ownership "

Their bagels def do not taste the same
Neither does their cream cheese (vegetable)

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Oct '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.