Rattle Snakes in Blairstown

My parents live in Blairstown and about 2 years ago we started to see Rattle Snakes on the property. Every year they seem to be getting worse my father stumbled across one stretched out along his garage door the other day he came very close to getting bit thank god for the rattle. Anyone else noticing this? I realize that there is a large den up on the mountain but now they seem to be venturing down.

Painkiller
Jul '13

Those snakes have been there long before your parents,and long before the Indians set foot there. They are just trying to survive like you and me.Try to give them some space if at all possible.

old guy old guy
Jul '13

I believe like 5 years ago we went camping up there and never again!!! I couldn't believe how many times we almost stepped on one.

Nosila Nosila
Jul '13

That area is similar to Fox Gap over in PA. They live in the rocks, they're probably coming out now more often because of the heat.

Be happy they are still here. And not dying off like so many other species . You are lucky to see them.

A good day
Jul '13

Years and years ago Blairstown was known as Gravel Hill. Gravel comes from rocks, rattlesnakes thrive in rocks. Their homes (as with the deer and bear population) are being taken over by human developement. They can't hop a plane and move as we do. They are not the invaders. Learn to share and respect their space. My inlaws have been in Hardwick well over 100yrs. And grandma made the best rattlesnake dishes. Miss it.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '13

They are Timber rattlesnakes. DO NOT kill or harm them. You will be fined. They are endangered species. See under Status and Conservation on the link below.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/end-thrtened/tmbrrattler.pdf

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

OMG...the guy did not say he was out to get them. He was just asking if any has noticed that they are becoming more invasive.

Yeah lets all just be grateful we get to see them...how awesome...give them the space in the corner of the garage. Just don't bring the kiddies over to visit the Grandparents. ????

Sorry for the sarcasm but sometimes I can't help myself.

Painkiller...read about how to "Rattlesnake Proof" a yard here. Hope this helps your parents.

http://www.wikihow.com/Rattlesnake-Proof-a-Backyard

Good Luck!

Astrat Astrat
Jul '13

Thank You Astrat! Yes being a single father my kids spend a lot of time up at my parents that's why I was asking. I am very concerned for my kids safety. I just wanted to know if anyone noticed it. As we would love to sit by the pool next to a Rattle Snake and have a drink together I don't think we can live like that. But thanks for the live and let live attitude as your children are not playing around Rattle Snakes.

Painkiller
Jul '13

Some of you need a real attitude adjustment. And yes we are fortunate to see them and live in this area that has so much to enjoy . Wake up! You are not the only living creatures on the planet.

A good day
Jul '13

My parents and brother both live in Blairstown (I lived there for some years) and we have never seen a rattlesnake. We have seen our share of wildlife up there but never rattlesnakes.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '13

I have a friend who lives in Panther Valley who saw one climbing up her deck a couple of months ago. She assumed it was a pet that got loose, but I guess maybe not? Kinda scary if you ask me.

Mamatotwo
Jul '13

I think you need to be more concerned with rattle snakes than bears...so I can understand people's concerns

Nosila Nosila
Jul '13

Painkiller you may want to touch base with NJ Fish and Wildlife. They may come out and take alook and locate the den for you or give you some things to be aware of. You are looking for Non Game and Endangered Species in the Northern Region. I do not have the number handy currently, but if you try 908-637-4125 during the week they should be able to help you.

fishmaker1 fishmaker1
Jul '13

WOAH....Just posted some info on it. RELAX. Safe walking to you all in the tall grass and near warm rocks. Have a great summer :)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

I was just asking a simple question "A good day". Not sure I said I was the only living creature on the planet just don't want my kids to die!!! Maybe they are only on my parents property I don't know this is why I asked a question. Not sure Im the one with the attitude.......

Painkiller
Jul '13

No attitude being thrown around, just knowledge. I know people that see snakes and decide to chop them up with a shovel or anything they can get their hands on. Forgive me for appreciating herpetology and the protection of a creature. I know how you feel about being worried about rattlesnakes. I ALWAYS keep watch when I'm outside. I know for a fact they are in this area. My BF use to catch them when he was little. (YIKES) Definitely keep a close eye when you are outside. It might be a good idea to buy a snake bite kit just to be safe.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

Re: Rattle Snakes in Blairstown

Yup, they all over up on the ridge. Here's one my brother came across on the lumber pile at Worthington State Forest about a month ago.

thehazguy thehazguy
Jul '13

WOAH! Great pic, thehazguy!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

Get a Honey Badger cause he don't care...

Honey Badger (Clean Version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6SBQNXnVcs

It's even illegal to move a rattlesnake in New Jersey. I know someone who was hiking along a mountain in Blairstown and stopped to take a couple pictures of a rattlesnake he found. But was stupid enough to pick it up with a stick. And posted the pictures online and 4 days later New Jersey Fish and wildlife was at his door with a ticket

oldred
Jul '13

Move it kill it or do whatever you have to do to protect your kids . Everyone on this forum has all the politiclly correct answers yet I doubt any of them have ever had a Rattler in their garage.

Screech Screech
Jul '13

You also want to beware of copperheads up in that area. This pic was taken 3 weeks ago up at the Yards Creek Scout Camp. At night!

3lilrascals 3lilrascals
Jul '13

I remember hiking Rattlesnake mountain in the 80s and it was a sunny day and the snakes were out. But like said above, they were here first many many many years ago. Live and let live...

iJay3 iJay3
Jul '13

This guy was coming out of the garage. I don't blame painkiller for being concerned. Even though they've been around long before us. I for one am not going to move it. I would be the one moving first and fast. In that area you have to be very vigilant about your surroundings. Looking where your walking, swimming, hiking, sitting. Whenever we are outside the kids are always on snake watch. See a rattler, get away.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '13

He has great reason to be concerned. I would be too. Very dangerous. Not grateful to be living amongst them, sorry.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jul '13

WOW great pics! I have attached another link of the snakes of NJ. And fishmaker1 is right. Any Timber sightings should be reported. Be safe :)

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/snake_broch07.pdf

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

I have attached a pic of a milk snake, a non-venomous snake in our area, sometimes people mistake them for copperheads. It's good to know your snakes. We have a book of ALL snakes of the world. Good to have a snakes of NJ guide too.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

Don't forget our little friends, the water snake. Their the ones that creep me out the most. You can't always see them coming.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '13

And then there's always snake love.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '13

My brother works for the park service. They have a trained snake handler. Puts the protective chaps on and is only allowed to move the snake 50 feet (I believe) so it's not too far from it's den.

thehazguy thehazguy
Jul '13

This is a pic from the Warren Reporter a few years ago. It's just a garter snake. I LOVE this pic! But makes you think, you have to be careful of pets and venomous snakes too!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

Great discussion. Keep posting about the snake sightings. Love it. Nj especially warren and Sussex counties are great to live in if you love the outdoors and the herps and animals.
Saw a bobcat this past week walking along with a muskrat in its mouth. Doesn't get any better than that.

A good day
Jul '13

Blue Herons think they are delicious

The herps?

Surely you and I are thinking of different things... Can't imagine anyone loving that, and if they do I hope they stay away from me!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jul '13

The only poisonous snakes native to NJ are the copperhead and the timber rattlesnake. Ive seen rattlesnakes in the area but never a copper. On another note Florida is having issues with non native snakes devouring the rest of the wildlife. If I recall its pythons.

jerseycash5
Jul '13

http://www.northeastparc.org/products/pdfs/NEPARC_backyard.pdf

Good to read

A good day
Jul '13

http://www.northeastparc.org/products/pdfs/NEPARC_SnakeBrochure_small.pdf

So you found a snake brochure. Another good read

A good day
Jul '13

We it's not a snake or in Sussex or Warren, but my grandson and I were riding by our place in the Pine Barrens. Here's a neat shot

thehazguy thehazguy
Jul '13

22 cal rifle loaded with snake shot works good if a shot gun it to heavy or get some one to relocate them

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '13

Hazguy. Nice picture. I love it when kids have an interest in herps. And the outdoors in general. I found a musk turtle the size of a quarter the other day in kittatiny. So cute.

A good day
Jul '13

I've only seen a rattlesnake once in all my years in NW nj. I've seen a few copperheads. It's rare though. I would never harm one but it would be scary to have them start showing up near where you live. It's something I would definitely be careful about.

Bryan Bryan
Jul '13

Better be good to the snakes.....
If you are not. ......... They will eat your eye's out!

....................................."wink " .........................

embryodad embryodad
Jul '13

A Good Day...

Sorry if my attitude has bothered you. But if it was my child in a garage with a rattlesnake I definitely would not be thinking "oh no I will have to let my kid get snake bit cause they are so beautiful and I can't touch it.

Telling us that we should be happy they are here and how lucky we are to see them is not any help whatsoever. If you care so much about them then why did you not offer a kind word on how to manage them or where he could go for help.

Astrat Astrat
Jul '13

There are a few suggestions on this thread to call NJ Fish and Game. That would be your best bet. Perhaps they can relocate the snakes. 6-10 young are born in a clutch in late August-mid September. So maybe they can relocate before they give birth. There are repellents out there also that you can buy and some you can do yourself.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

One DIY tip is to keep your lawn mowed short, weed-wack and place mouse traps around the yard and garage to keep snakes away. Snakes prey on rodents and maybe that will keep them away if there is minimal food for them.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

Astrat How about you do something very very radical teach your children the difference between a poisonous and nonpoisonous snake. If you don't know yourself Google it and learn the difference. That's what my father did with us back in the day. He didn't freak out when he seen a snake. He would show it to us and tell us what kind it was and whether it was poisonous or not. And he always told us snakes would much rather crawl away then confront you. A rattlesnake rattles to let you know it's there so it doesn't get stepped on. He did the same thing with poisonous and nonpoisonous spiders to

oldred
Jul '13

Powdered Sulphur.

Just sprinkle powdered sulphur around the perimeter of where you don't want the snake (s) to cross.

Diesel fuel or #2 fuel oil works too. Snakes hate the smell.
Just add some fuel to a sponge in a couple dishes / pans and place them around the garage entry etc.

BTW... Fuel oil #2 or #1 Kerosene is the best insect repellant for skeeters.
Just rub some on the brim of a hat or on your clothing.
The old timers( farmers) used to rub Kerosene on their arms and necks when out working the fields. They all died from skin cancer, but got no skeeter bites. And they all lived to their 80's and 90's....happily ever after. AMEN

embryodad embryodad
Jul '13

Mow the lawn has always worked best for me. Snakes just feel real vulnerable crossing the short grass so I keep a pretty good sized barrier between buildings and "the rough."

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '13

embryodad, I can't help picturing one of those old time farmers lighting up a cigarette!

hktownie hktownie
Jul '13

hktownie Message hktownie
46 mins ago [embryodad, I can't help picturing one of those old time farmers lighting up a cigarette!]

Yeah! Fffffffoooooom! (Pop corn's ready)

Most didn't smoke in the fields though. They chawed tobacco, and spit in the snakes eye's!

embryodad embryodad
Jul '13

Here's last years rattler up at Worthington. Just finished eating something

thehazguy thehazguy
Jul '13

Make sure you respect nature up in those woods or you could end up like this

thehazguy thehazguy
Jul '13

oldred

You are talking to the wrong guy.

Again I am sorry for offending anyone who loves snakes. I lived in Florida and fished freshwater for 11 years and 90% of it was done at night. I know all about snakes and anything else that comes out of a swamp and so does my son.

Prior to that I fished this area since I was a kid and am fully aware of the copperheads and rattle snakes. I also never said to kill the snake.

The point I was making is that some of you instead of helping out the OP (original poster) went on about your personnel feelings about snakes...write a book.

Astrat Astrat
Jul '13

Astrat thanks for the suggestion. But then that is the nature of the forum and I wish you well.

A good day
Jul '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.