Does your carpet match your drapes?

Just wondering how many people believe in buying curtains that are the same color as their carpet and how many choose for a contrast in colors.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Oh boy....here we go! LMAO!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Apr '14

Hardwood floors so no they don't match.

Just Asking Just Asking
Apr '14

Ah. Much safer question than asking if people polish their hardwood floors.

I definitely think you should call the good folks over at Marburn Curtian and inquire if matching is in style these days. That's be a hoot.

Antimony Antimony
Apr '14

I'm clueless....wood floors and area rugs and white-ish shades

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Wow what is going on in HL World the last two days... LMAO!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

i have light colored carpet and light wall colors, so my drapes are a few shades darker than the wall colors to make it pop.

Poppy Girl
Apr '14

This is hysterical! Thanks for a laugh on this dreary day.

Loud-mouth Jen Loud-mouth Jen
Apr '14

Hahaha!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

I like my rooms to be one color so I paint the furniture too :>) Keep bumping into things though.

Actually sometimes yes, sometimes no. Most often complementary, not the same or contrasting.

Lately I have been dabbling with imperceptible tints. So let's say the rug is mauve. Maybe I go with a pink-ish curtain to complement. Trim matches the rug (did the photo into paint trick) and is a bit glossy and therefore quite bright so ties to the floor but complements the curtains and really jumps out. (I have lots of trim so I am showing off my labors).

Then I go with a white ceiling (of course) but an off-white creamy wallboard paint with just a few drops of the exact color of the trim color which, remember matches the rug. Here's the cool part. Depending on the day, the time of day, etc. the wall either looks creamy off-white or seems to be reflecting the rug color; still looks creamy but there is a glow. So cool. Secret is only a few drops so that it mostly looks creamy off-white. Really a cool effect since the trim really snaps (it's bright) and the entire room tends to change color all the time, especially if the room gets a nice daybreak, sunset, or when the lights are on which is when the tint seems to come out. The room seems to glow at those times. During the main part of the day, the room looks creamy. So when it's glowing, you come away with ---- is the paint creamy or not, or are the walls just reflecting the other colors ---- it's a mysterious glow.

If you plan your glow to be warm, it is really a neat subtle effect. Have not tried it in the blue family yet but think it would still work even with a colder color like blue.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

My drapes are an almond color and my carpet is a cashew shade...I guess you can call me a little nutty. o;)

positive positive
Apr '14

i got gray, up and down

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

NOTE: I was not trying to be risque at all in my post...just making a joke about nuts.

positive positive
Apr '14

Blue/Grey Wall to Wall Carpet down the stairs, living room and hall..so in the Living Room off white walls and darker blue drapes(with off white sheers).. and floral living room furniture....making it very easy to change to bolder or lighter colors in my drapes or even furniture without having to repaint the entire room. Different color combinations in the other rooms of the house but a lot of blue in most rooms and carpet.

joyful joyful
Apr '14

Can't help wondering if any Brazilians care to weigh in?

yankeefan yankeefan
Apr '14

In the same color wheel, but not exact same color. Have mostly hardwood, which I prefer.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Inadvertently funniest post of the day goes to botheredbyuu, lol

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Nice hardwood floors with a small area rug is the way to go in 2014.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

Omg! This is too much! Lol

positive positive
Apr '14

Area rug is one way to go... a welcome mat might be a bit over the top, though.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

wife does most of the decorating, she always goes with hardwood floors. do they even use carpeting any more ?

Thanks iphone. Lol! Had to read my post 3 times before I got what you meant. Where's your mind, in the gutter? Haha!

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

OMG, this is hysterical! Welcome mat!!!!! Hahahahahaha!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

this is too funny..........just choked on my lunch! The older we get, the less inclined we are to match

mom of one mom of one
Apr '14

I see it doesnt take much to entertain people on HL! Lol!

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

mom of one - So true.

bothered - At least we aren't fighting. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

It really depends but it does require maintenance if you want hardwood floors or maybe a small area rug. If you get lazy and let it go then it just looks a mess and then there is a cost to really clean that area up. You may want the guys from Stanley Steamer coming over but I was never fond of strangers coming into my personal space although it is nice to have a quick cup of coffee with a stranger once in awhile. I will say this, first impressions really matter so I always keep my floors clean and well maintained even if I know company is not coming over for awhile

wellgroomed wellgroomed
Apr '14

+1000000000 Calico.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Just a small carpet runner is fine with me - it doesn't have to match.

I'm dying ;)

Missrx Missrx
Apr '14

Calico and Mom of one- You can always remove the carpet and go with a bare floor so matching would no longer be an issue.

positive positive
Apr '14

I think the responses that make me laugh the most are the people actually telling us what color their drapes are and carpeting are.

M & K M & K
Apr '14

Wait. I can't tell who is serious and who is not.

Challah Challah
Apr '14

M & K - Totally agree!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Too funny wellgroomed! Lol!

positive positive
Apr '14

Why not MK? Thats the thread. Share and share alike.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

This thread and the nut thread can't help but remind me of the "sock" thread from way back when. For those who are unfamiliar, it was back when there wasn't nearly half as many posters here as there are now.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/14115

The "pickle on a stick" thread is a goodie too.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/108161

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

A lot of people change the color of their drapes periodically. Probably too much work to have to worry about changing the carpet at the same time.

Nobody's talked about the pile of the carpet. Shouldn't that be a factor on whether or not it matches?

Changing the carpet tends to me more painful. And expensive.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

Good point, Rich... there's a big difference between the shag carpeting of the 70s and a nice short pile like you would be more likely to encounter today. That shag was really known for trapping odors.... Febreze was no match for it.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Thanks ianimal. I know in some cultures, shag carpeting is still the preferred type.

who has drapes any more? We have blinds and they are a nice complement to our carpets. I think the yonger crowd like hardwoods, but I always enjoy the warmth of carpet.

need a drink
Apr '14

Matching carpet, rugs, drapes - too simple. I always try to match chandelier and ceiling lamp in the kitchen when I change cabinet knobs and pulls. Unfortunately every time when I am able to buy discounted knobs very cheap, matching chandelier and lamp are very pricey. And for some reasons my husband hates to hang them. I don't know why - I even don''t ask him to change pulls and knobs, I do it myself.

Are we getting into piercing now?

Joe M Joe M
Apr '14

. . . hee. . . now we're talking about knobs too.

Pile might be a factor for odor retention, but for matching, nope.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

Maybe we can get some pictures to see the carpet / drape ideas people have!

M & K M & K
Apr '14

I've heard that it's now common to have full carpet in the winter and then just a small area rug when the weather gets warmer.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

uh is that sort of like a jacket with a zip out lining, emaxxman? trying to envision it

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

My carpet is allergy free.so anyone is welcome...especially now with all the pollen around

neccy neccy
Apr '14

Cheap knobs? I would think you'd want to avoid those at all costs .

Antimony Antimony
Apr '14

This is probably the funniest thread I've ever read! Lol!

Thanks for the laughs ian.

positive positive
Apr '14

LOL...my face hurts from laughing..

I think pictures would be so helpful.

It seems in the 70's the full shag carpets were in...these days smooth wood floors with an ocassional throw rug looks nice...having that in mind any drape or covering will match!

Summer Summer
Apr '14

cracks me up

pmnsk pmnsk
Apr '14

This thread is great!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

This thread is killing me.

Njchia Njchia
Apr '14

this thread is unraveling

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Yes and it's probably giving most of the men hardwood...o;)

positive positive
Apr '14

I hear shades of red are always in style.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

I went to Newark the other day by the airport - Ikea- It is a Swedish Store- lots of textiles in the Marketplace area downstairs. The airplane strips they had there were all the rage. I sort of like that. There was quite a range of colors - mix and match.

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

This is hysterical!!!

lol positive -

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Why do I get the feeling we aren't talking about upholstery here, but something all together different.

Now I feel sick from what I have read.

Big-Man-s-Field Big-Man-s-Field
Apr '14

Big-Man- Maybe a little Carpet Fresh will help?

positive positive
Apr '14

maybe a little Oxyclean??

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Lol 5catmom!! Glad to see so many people on here..have a broad sense of humor!

positive positive
Apr '14

I always like to drive around town and imagine what the houses look like inside. Does that make me weird?

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

Darwin - yes.

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

Darwin, it depends. Are you completely naked with a gigantic bucket of popcorn in the passenger seat? If so, then no... not by my reckoning... not weird at all.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

it's late night humor time, (11 o'clock hour)

some really like the landing strips, others like a good throw rug, nobody likes a doormat, i mean reputations are easily wrecked.

some pull up their carpets to expose hard wood, then they polish the heck out of it, (that's after sanding it down, can i get an Ouch! ?)

i haven't seen any comments on the wall to wall thing? or is that just European?

how do you properly care for a high quality carpet anyways? some shampoo their's on a regular basis, some vacuum theirs daily, and i know some who use a steam cleaner on it. (can i get another really big Ouch! ?) they claim that it's a really deep clean, that there's nothing else quite like it.

some carpets are padded, i don't understand that

other carpets are woven. you can do that? get it woven? I had no idea.

when pulling up carpet in an old house you never know what you are going to get, sometimes hard wood, other times soft wood, (i'm given to understand that's not as good) i guess you have to try it to see what's there. some have wider planks than others, some are more narrow. and this is weird, some are tongue and groove. might be safer to just leave the carpet intact, other's are oak, that's gotta be a good find under your carpet. solid oak under a finely finished rug has got to be a good thing. esp, if they are well fitted together.

am i right?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

OMG - I was afraid to look at this one, especially when I saw so many posts! and I really don't need to see pictures, thank you ;)

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

Brother .... so funny

pmnsk pmnsk
Apr '14

Some stores will even let you take carpet samples home. I hope this news doesn't cause a traffic jam on Mountain Ave.

Antimony Antimony
Apr '14

uh - ordered an area rug from overstock.com - if I don't like it - do any of you want to bid on it??

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Reminds me of the Curtains/Drapes story:

After 25 years of marriage, a man dumped his wife for his young secretary.

His new girlfriend demanded that she wanted to live in the couple’s multi-million dollar home, and since the man’s lawyers were a little better, he prevailed.

He gave his now ex-wife 3 days to move out. She spent the 1st day packing her belongings into boxes, crates and suitcases. On the 2nd day, she had the movers come and collect her things. On the 3rd day, she sat down for the last time at their beautiful dining room table by candlelight, put on some soft background music, and feasted on a pound of shrimp, a jar of caviar, and a bottle of Chardonnay.

When she had finished, she went into every room and deposited a few half-eaten shrimp shells, dipped in caviar, into the hollow of the curtain rods. She then cleaned up the kitchen and left.

When the husband returned with his new girlfriend, all was bliss for the first few days. Then slowly, the house began to smell. They tried everything - cleaning & mopping and hiring a cleaning service to clean the place out; vents were checked for dead rodents; carpets were steam cleaned; air fresheners were hung everywhere; and exterminators were brought in to set off gas canisters. They even paid to replace the expensive wool carpeting.

Nothing worked. People stopped coming over to visit. Repairmen refused to work in the house. The maid quit.

They could not take the stench any longer and decided to move. A month later, even though they had cut their price in half, they could not find a buyer for their stinky house. Word got out, and eventually, even the local realtors refused to return their calls. Finally, they had to borrow a huge sum of money from the bank to purchase a new place.

The ex-wife called the man, and asked how things were going. He told her the saga of the rotting house. She listened politely, and said that she missed her old home terribly, and would be willing to reduce her divorce settlement in exchange for getting the house back.

Knowing his ex-wife had no idea how bad the smell was, he agreed on price that was about 1/10th of what the house had been worth - but only if she were to sign the papers that very day. She agreed, and within the hour, his lawyers delivered the paperwork.

A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood smirking as they watched the moving company pack everything to take to their new home...
... including the curtain rods.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Apr '14

What a great story htownnewbie! Now I know what to do if my husband ever does that to me! Lol

positive positive
Apr '14

htownnewbie, thanks!!!! That was great!!

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Apr '14

was looking for something and found this old post! So funny...worth reading it again

mom of one mom of one
Feb '16

OMG how did I miss this thread!

Sooo funny!!

Christine Christine
Feb '16

Personally I like the extremely long drapes that come down and spill onto a nice bare hardwood floor.

eperot eperot
Feb '16

htownnewbie -

Here's another one:

Mario was a master mason contracted to build a chimney. He suspected that the client was not going to pay. Somehow a thin sheet of glass was artfully installed in the middle of the chimney such that it could not be seen. The first time the slouch client lit a fire, thick smoke filled the house. The client begged Mario to fix the problem, and paid double what was owed, up front, to get it done. Mario took a brick and dropped it down the chimney. Problem solved, bill paid, justice served. I learned much from my father, Mario.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Does your carpet match your drapes?

No ...............

but ....................

l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l

My hats match my capes,
and
My napkins match my plates.

happiest girl
Feb '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.