Water in Highlands (Independence) Not Safe to Drink?

So, got a handwritten note in the mailbox today saying "There is a problem with our water. Do not drink" then gives the number to call for the IMUA secretary. Anyone have a clue about this????

indy5
Apr '14

Notice from IMUA:
Maintenance work is being done at the Highlands well house today and tomorrow. During this period, you may experience discolored water. If you do, you should delay doing laundry, and you may want to drink bottled water.

Good grief

indy5
Apr '14

I'm in the Highlands and my water has a brownish color to it. Never received a notice. If you have the number, please post here.
Thanks

I got the notice via email, but I haven't noticed the water being discolored.

Lynnada Lynnada
Apr '14

I checked my email after I first posted and had the above message.
No idea who the written note is from.

IMUA = 908-637-4041 x242

the email came from: imuanj@gmail.com

I emailed back, it's a member of the IMUA board

indy5
Apr '14

I live in the Highlands.

What is wrong with the IMUA that they cannot mail advance notice??????

Previously they were late about reporting failures to meet drinking water standards to their clients.

Thirsty
Apr '14

This is beyond ridiculous. Probably the third time we shouldn't have been drinking the water and never notified.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

This is their MO. I recevied no note or e-mail. Typical of government/municipality authority's. Last year we received notice like 4 months after the water tested had certain contaniments over the the allowable amount. How do you get added to the e-mail distribution list?

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '14

Not sure if that is even any good. We had signed up the email and neither of our accounts got a notice.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

I am in a back and forth email at the moment, and they are not admitting any fault in lack of communication on their part.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

Gee, what a surprise. As stated, that is their MO. Damm the people who are paying for it.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '14

Person in charge is working for the Board of Ed and the IMUA. Maybe we should have one person in charge of IMUA so they can concentrate on giving us safe water to drink and giving us advance notice when the water is not safe. This person will now collect pensions from BofEd and HMUA when they retire. I will be at the next meeting to find out what is going on and hope my Highland neighbors will join me. None of my surrounding neighbors received a notice.

I bet he told his family not to drink the water.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '14

Maybe it was an emergency situation???

indy5
Apr '14

My water has tasted weird for months. I get the notice every year of the levels of containiments, and every year they're at the highest legal limits. I finally bought a britta filters and it actually looks and tastes like water again. I wouldnt drink the water here ANY Day.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Apr '14

You shouldn't drink tap water anyway

Lunch lady Lunch lady
Apr '14

We do a filter as well but it's downstairs in our fridge, but if we are aware of a water advisory we put water bottles up in the bathroom for those midnight drinks of water and brushing teeth.

I also find it interesting that any back and forth emails I've gotten thus far I've been given no name even though I've disclosed my full name.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

And the next IMUA meeting is 8.00 pm on the 23rd.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

they like to hide, that's why no name, and really a gmail email account? that's not even close to being 'official'

so is the water safe or unsafe?

is there any kind of authoritative word about it? at all?

handwritten notes placed in a mail box? that's a joke right?

let me get this straight, the gmrsd boe president works for the IMUA? what's up with that? when/how does that even happen?

has anyone reached out to the mayor to clear up the confusion?

is the water safe or unsafe? any credible source willing to ring in?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

"And the next IMUA meeting is 8.00 pm on the 23rd."

Where?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Municipal building.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

BD I wish I could answer those but there is no straight answer from the gmail account entity. Just that a notice was sent out via email to "everyone" and that if I feel there is a better means of communication, then I should volunteer for the board. No idea if the water is safe yet, or for how long. Getting some bottled water today for the weekend so it's one last headache for the moment.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

is the water safe or unsafe, and what happened? (specifically)

should residents boil water beofre drinking it?

should residents avoid showers?

what the heck is going on?

i find that hand written notes placed in a mail box coupled with gmail messages to be a lot less than 'authoritative'.

is there anybody with a responsible credible source about what is going on with the water and the IMUA?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Good grief, who said the gmrsd boe president works for the IMUA ~ no one. And you can't collect pension from BOE and IMUA, it's from one source only. Once again, lets make it look like government employees are out to get all they can from taxpayers. Most municipal employees are now doing the job of 2 people AT NO EXTRA INCOME, because towns are laying off people to keep your taxes down.

indy5
Apr '14

"Just that a notice was sent out via email to "everyone" and that if I feel there is a better means of communication, then I should volunteer for the board."

that's worded like a true bully, typical for the boe behavior, bullies on that board just like here in hackettstown.

who is 'everyone'? what does that even mean? does 'everyone' mean the one person who got the hand written note?

hand written notes, hand delivered into a mailbox? are you kidding me? what a joke.

so for the almost 100 families in that neighborhood, is the water safe or unsafe? and why?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

The IMUA phone number I was given was on the handwritten note.

indy5
Apr '14

indy5; are you saying that this is not true?

"the gmrsd boe president works for the IMUA "

the current president of the boe in gmrsd does not work for the IMUA? (yes/no)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

so is the water safe or unsafe?

is there anybody out there who knows?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Indy5, I didn't say the BOE president works for IMUA. Call the number it will say BOD. When I called about our water testing, I thought I had the wrong number but she said she works for both. Not going to put her name on here. Do some research and you will find the same info. Where is your source they don't get pensions from both. As for our taxes, just because we were reassessed doesn't mean your taxes will go down. They will just change the tax rate. I received no notice and neither did my neighbors. When did you receive this notice the day before, the day of. Welcome to the real world, most people are doing the job of 2 in the private sector.

Sorry aju you are correct, didn't realize he was now BOE pres. I don't need to do research, I thought the person referred to was the woman you are referring to.
I received a handwritten note in my mailbox YESTERDAY. No name on it. I received an email from a rep of the IMUA around 4:00 YESTERDAY. And I do know all about government pensions.

indy5
Apr '14

I wouldnt ever drink the water in Roxbury either with the Fenimore landfill seepage of H2S into the local streams and water supply!

just sayin'
http://www.state.nj.us/bpu/assistance/complaints/

public utilities commission - otherwise, as my dad used to say, you're just talking to eachother

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Our friends are having to deal w. Fenimore...now that is a huge nightmare.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

I didn't get a notice or an e-mail. So far I haven't noticed any brown water. As for the BPU, when I called them a year or so ago, they said they don't have anything to do with independent water authorities. Last year the IMUA raised the rates by about 30% and this year they raised them again. We pay over 3 times as much as they pay in Hackettstown. The IMUA charges a minimum of 79.50 per quarter for 7,500 gallons of water while the HMUA charges 23.15 for the same amount. As for the employees, they have two. The secretary/treasurer who does the billing and also works for the GMRSD. The meter reader is a teacher who works in Bridgewater and is the President of the GMRSD BOE. They are both part time employees of the IMUA.

Indy2 Indy2
Apr '14

Here's a cut and paste of the email that was sent out. I did not receive a handwritten note, I believe that was only indy5, I'm guessing from a neighbor maybe. It doesn't say the water is not safe, but it doesn't say it is either.

Residents-

Maintenance work is being done at the Highlands well house today and tomorrow. During this period, you may experience discolored water. If you do, you should delay doing laundry, and you may want to drink bottled water.

Regards.
IMUA Board

Lynnada Lynnada
Apr '14

One prays that common sense will someday rule the day. What an unprofessional way of handling brown water ---- which to me would seem to be a cause for alarm if left to guess the reasons.

It just seems that if was routine maintenance, perhaps advanced notice would be possible. If emergency maintenance; hey why not just say it. I dunno but to explain it in a comprehensive and timely fashion should not take any longer than the time they expended to worry the heck out of folks with their lack of clarity. By now you would think they would have a form letter they could cut n paste, or maybe go to a more professional water company and copy/paste one of theirs.

I just love that part about you may want to drink bottled water, but don't wash your clothes...... I guess if you choose to continue to drink it, don't dribble it on your shirt..... And how about cooking.....

Well, so much for you know what sliding downhill if the Highland's water is turning brown :>( Yet another myth busted.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

Hello, this is Jay Woodruff. I am one of the IMUA Board members.

I’d like to take this opportunity to set the record straight, and address some of the comments made here.

First, neither the IMUA Board nor its operator distributed the mysterious handwritten note(s) yesterday. We have no idea who is behind these notes, or what their motive is. An email was sent yesterday afternoon alerting customers to maintenance work being done. This worked requires pipes and values to be exercised. Agra (the system operator) suggested this may cause some customers to experience discolored water.

Regarding the Gmail account; this is a no-cost way to quickly communicate to customers. Email addresses have been requested many times. If a customer decides not to provide one, they obviously will not get the messages. If you’re a customer, and would like to be added to the mailing list, please email imuanj@gmail.com and include your service address.

If there is real water emergency, communication would be made via email, and a letter dropped to each home. The letter will be typed and will carry the IMUA reference or on Agra’s leader head.

Next, the Board of Ed President does not run the IMUA. It is governed by a board of five volunteers (currently have 2 vacancies). We receive no compensation whatsoever. I have no idea what “MO” people think we operate under. Nor do we hide. Our names are on the Independence Township for the world to see. Monthly meetings are held, when we can satisfy the quorum requirements, and customer are welcome to attend.

The IMUA has two paid part-time employees. One is a secretary/bookkeeper, and the other is the meter reader. Both receive a minimal annual salary. Neither will receive a pension, nor any other retirement benefit.

If any IMUA customers have additional questions, please send an email to the address above, or you’re are always welcome to call the number on your invoice (which is not the number included in the handwritten note.)

IMUA Board IMUA Board
Apr '14

thanks for clearing the air, there are some posters who said they gave their email address to you but still received no notice.

your paid employee who reads meters is the current president of the gmrsd boe, correct?

how does one qualify or apply for that job? how/when was the job listed?
when were candidates reviewed? Was this an inside pre-wired appointment?

do taxpayers have to fund pension obligations for a part time meter reader? (yes/no, and if yes how much?)

why do you charge three times as much for water as hackettstown does? that's a big difference. please explain.

municipal taxes are going up 5 % in independence while communities all around (H-town, liberty, allamuchy are rising a fraction of that rate or not rising at all or even going down (as is the case for liberty))

why can't Independence look for ways to reduce the tax burdens on it's residents?

and now it comes out that water costs three times as much in indy as it does in hackettstown, ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Jay Woodruff, don't you think it would have been wise to let everyone know about this via a letter. If this is maintenance work, why couldn't we be notified before work started. Not everyone is on the email list. I for one did not know one existed. I was upset when I went to use the water and it was brown even after running it thru a water filter. Is it safe? Will they be testing it after this work is done? When will the work be completed? The sentence "you may want to drink bottled water" sounds like use at your own risk. I think this situation was handled terribly.

I agree with aju that the message seems incomplete giving rise to more questions regarding the safety of the water that we use for cooking, cleaning, drinking, and bathing. I mean "Agra (the system operator) suggested this may cause some customers to experience discolored water" or you may want to drink bottled water, but don't wash your clothes, seems to give rise to as many questions as it answers.

Personally, if I wake up one day to brown water, it IS an emergency to me.

Apr '14

It would be nice to know ahead of time, so we can get some bottled water. Maybe, it's time to keep at least a large jug or two on hand.

Lynnada Lynnada
Apr '14

I normally do not comment on things but this one is just too much. It always amazes me that so many people who comment on here lie and know nothing about everything.

The first thing I'd like to comment on is what does the board of education and my job in Bridgewater have to do with the water company and brown water. I mean if you want to attack me BrotherDog and Indy2 why not just stop by the house? You make it seem like working and volunteering for the board of education are bad things.

The second thing that made me laugh was the pensions. Those of you who are the experts on pensions, can explain to me how I can get a pension from a volunteer job? I'd also like to know how I'm getting one from a part time job?

This next thing really made me laugh! Indy2 isn't even on the IMUA system!!!! She's lives on Russling and doesn't pay anything to the IMUA! Yet she said on here she pays and said what she pays. I loved when she said she hadn't noticed any brown water. Of course you didn't!!! You have your own well water!!! Do you not know your water source? To go on here and lie to everyone and complain about the rate you pay when you don't even pay it is absolutely ridiculous and a LIE!! Oh and here's the best part everyone........she's also a board of education member!! BaaaHaaa!!!!
Hey BrotherDog, you've seen me checking you reader for three years! Now you want to know when the job was posted??? Next time I see you I'll explain the whole process.

It is unfortunate that those of you who turned to this forum for answers to your questions about the brown water were subjected to lies, complaints and unrelated information about me from two people who are just filled with hate. In the future, please use the IMUA email and you will get answers to your questions or call the numbers.

Happy Easter everyone!!

Ed O'Melia Ed O'Melia
Apr '14

The IMUA board is made up of all volunteers. I'm very thankful that we have neighbors who are willing to give of their free time to serve on the IMUA board.

When there is a water problem at dinner time, or in the middle of the night, it's one of our neighbors who gets a call and takes action on our behalf. For no pay or compensation at all. Often they do it without so much as a "thank you".

For those of us who live in the IMUA service area, we need to keep in mind that it's our neighbor(s) who are volunteering his/her time to help at the IMUA.
These IMUA board members have full time jobs and busy lives, just like the rest of us, yet they stepped up & give of their "free" time to serve on the board.

I'm very thankful for our neighbors including Mr. Woodruff, who are willing to do the extra work. As you can see by reading some of the comments above, it's a thankless job.

Fred Miller Fred Miller
Apr '14

I think if you remove the emotion, there are some good suggestions for improvement that should not require, behind planning, any additional efforts by these nice volunteers. Hopefully you can tiptoe between the cow-paddies and find the green grass in all of it.

Apr '14

Hey Fred and Jay,

A little notice rather than an email before rather than after the flushing was done is not too much to ask for.

If that is too much effort, than we need new volunteers.

How does the board solicit for the open positions? Have not heard or read of any openings.

Thirsty
Apr '14

IMUA only has 30 or so customers? correct?

Brad
Apr '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.