Question for veggie gardeners

I am new to growing veggies , last yr i got frustrated with the weeds , what do you do for weeds , it's really hard for me to pull them , my hands go numb , I read about laying newspaper , or using preen , I don't really want to spray anything , what do you do ?

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Apr '14

I used to use Sheets of plastic. I see the veggie farmer in Changwater uses it also.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

My grandfather always did hay and had a gorgeous garden. I do a deck garden so weeds aren't so much an issue.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

several layers of newspaper with hay on top.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

Thank you

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Apr '14

Last year we used grass clippings and they worked very well. This year, we are going to reinforce that and use layers of newspaper with grass clippings over it. We load up the grass clippings to 4-6 inches high (when fresh) or as tall as new seedlings can handle. Over a few days it compacts down to just an inch or so. We will add more as needed throughout the season. The trick is to start with a fairly weed-free surface to begin with (which is usually required regardless of what you end up using as a weed block). Grass clippings are the most effective and economical we have found so far.

Happy Homemaker Happy Homemaker
Apr '14

Grass clippings, straw not hay if you can (hay has seeds), newspaper (does not break down for me so I don't but many use just a few layers and then clippings on top like Happy said. I have used plastic but hate what goes on underneath plus unless permeable water can't get through.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

Thanks I think I will try the newspaper and straw , I like that better than spraying chemicals

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Apr '14

I don't have a bagger for grass clippings

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Apr '14

FYI for no baggers. When grass is longish, mow in circles blowing to the center, then rake the center and place in the garden. I like to let the grass dry a bit figuring that will leach some of the nitrogen out.

Lately, I have just been using straw.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

Great idea thanks

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Apr '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.