Best cocktails in Hackettstown?

Best cocktails in Hackettstown?

Happy Easter!

Just watched an episode of "Mind of the Chef" where chef David Chang intervies Julian Van Winkle (of Rip Van Winkle distillery) on how to make an Old-Fashioned bourbon cocktail.

What are the best places in and near Hackettstown to get a good cocktail/alcoholic drink? And what do you like to get there.

(Image from: http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/julian-van-winkles-old-fashioned-cocktail/)

Liz Z Liz Z
Apr '14

Since there are only three bars in Hackettstown. It's gonna be a short list. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Mattars is great and pretty close.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

The Pump House always made a good cocktail....

joyful joyful
Apr '14

Buy a book, make your own, cheaper. More rewarding. Join the Legion or the Moose.

fitter fitter
Apr '14

Although there are 5 regular liquor licenses, Marley's, Bea's, and Applebees are the ones regularly serving cocktails. David's is for their events, and Leo's is only beer.
The Elks, Moose, Legion, etc are social licenses which means you need to be a member or a guest of one.

But Mansfield, Long Valley, Allamuchy, and Independence all have places as close to Hackettstown - including Pump House, Ruby Tuesday's, Pasta Grill, Bar 46, Blackstone's, Nile's, and Mattars.

The list isn't that quite as small if you take all that into consideration.

Mattars makes th ebest Manhattans I have ever had.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

True GC, but they asked about Hackettstown. ;-)

If we want to include out of town, I'd say that Sarah at Riley and Jake's in Clinton makes some of the best mixed drinks (particularly martinis) I've ever had. Many are of her own personal recipes. She's quite the mixologist.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Calico - the original post is "in and near Hackettstown". Independence & Mansfield would seem to qualify for "near". ;-)

Ah.....missed the "and near" part the first time I read it. My bad. My suggestion isn't near, but worth the trip. Make sure someone else is driving you though. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Mattar's sounds like a good bet! Went there a couple years back before it changed it's name to Bistro and missed out on the Valentine's Day oysters. Still I'd imagine they would have great Old Fashions and Manhattans.

Would prefer local - nothing more than 10 minutes away for a good drink!

Thanks all!

I have yet to meet any food or drink I didn't like at Mattar's -- and there's happy hour till - I forget when every day

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

GC, the Pump House is in Budd Lake. Or is that Flanders?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Pump House is on the Morris County side of Hackettstown.

My cousin grew up over there and she always referred to it as Mt. Olive (Morris County) and went to Mt. Olive schools. However, she has a Hackettstown mailing address and telephone number.

positive positive
Apr '14

I think the Pump House is in Drakestown.

And yes, that is Mount Olive. 46 is the border between Washington Township and Mount Olive there, until you hit Drakestown Road and then that becomes the border.

And maaannnnnnny of us Morris County residents have Hackettstown addresses and phone numbers. Means nothing about our municipalities.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

I know Aquarius. When I lived in Mansfield we had a Hackettstown address and telephone number and when I lived in Liberty Township (Mountain Lake) we had a Belvidere mailing address and telephone number. Now I live in Lopatcong and I have a Phillipsburg mailing address and telephone number. Lol

positive positive
Apr '14

The worst part about the whole zip code thing is that for YEARS my husband would get served for jury duty from Warren County. He got so sick and tired of returning the postcard saying that he doesn't live in Warren, that he called and demanded to be taken off their list. (My husband doesn't call anyone). He told the lady to look on Mapquest - our address is Hackettstown but it is clearly in Morris County.

The funny thing about it was that the people at the library knew it wasn't Hackettstown when I went to get a card.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

The best cocktails are served up in our friends kitchen on grand ave!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.