Gas stove left on

Hello! I have a quick important question.

My husband accidentally left the gas stove on (no flame) for about less than an hour. He noticed it when he walked in to the kitchen to clean and saw the knob turned. Neither of us noticed the smell until I took our dog out to walk and when I came back in, I noticed the smell. We opened all of the windows and we already had a fan going in the dining room before this whole thing happened. How long is a "safe" time for the gas and the smell to dissipate? We've had a gas stove for over 7 years and this is the fist time this has ever happened and I am unsure of what to do.

Thanks!

I'm no expert but I think an hour with the windows open and fans on high should do it. I would leave them open tonight as well. When I stink up the bedroom, I turn on the window fan on high and the smell is gone in minutes. Same thing? Maybe...

sack
Jul '14

ab90 next time this happens get every one out of the house call 911 and ask for fire dept to respond do not turn any electric on no lights or switches please

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '14

Wow! I had the same thing happen in our home a few weeks back. We actually had the gas on without flame for a few hours!!! I noticed it and immediately ventilated the entire house for about half an hour. All was fine after that. We use natural gas. Propane could be a bit more problematic with the higher pressure and its properties.
Natural gas is lighter than air and will dissipate a bit easier as it will rise into the air. Propane is heavier than air therefore it will fall creating a layer near the floor or lower levels of a building becoming a potential issue to say the least.

I now check the stove even after I use the toaster! LOL.

Agreed with CA. Call the FD and never, ever turn on or off an electrical device. Even the smallest spark could ignite the gas when it's in an enclosed space.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.