Daycare for Seniors

Anyone have someone in Heath Village Day Care...looking for day care for loved one with mild Alzheimers.

wonderful wonderful
Jul '14

Have you looked into Selah? It's actually right across the street from Heath Village. The woman who runs the center is amazing at what she does and has special training in Alzheimers care. http://www.selahadultcare.com/

heartsong heartsong
Jul '14

My MIL spent time in both facilities, starting across the street with day care, then moving into assisted living at Heath Village. As her Alzheimers progressed, she was moved into their full nursing home unit. I had nothing but positive experiences with both. I will be forever grateful for the kind & loving care they provided during her last few years.

My mother goes to Selah 6 days a week. It has been a lifesaver for her and us in the house. She loves it there and actually now has "issues" with the days that they are closed (they are closed on Sunday's and major holidays).

Also, Darlene has a full time home (I think it is in Blairstown) where she takes care of people and brings them to Selah during the day. We have used that option when I have to be out of town on travel and it would not be good to take my mother with us. This has also been very helpful for that type of care as well.

Lastly, you should talk to the VNA (Visiting Nurse Association) in Morris County or the Warren County Senior Services groups. There may be money available to help defray the cost of the daycare. We are in Morris County and are able to use the NJ Respite Care to help reduce the cost of several days a week of the care. This allows us to have my mother stay there the 6 days which really helps with the consistency for her dementia.

Darlene specializes in dementia care.

They offer transportation as well. You do need to provide a lunch each day, but they provide drinks and I believe a snack as well. They are very willing to work with each person to meet their medical needs as well.

My mother has been with Selah since they moved to that location across from Heath Village - they are not affiliated with Heath Village anymore. It has been over 2 1/2 years and it has been the only thing that has made it possible for me to have my mother stay with me during this time.

Coralie Coralie
Jul '14

Just FYI, the Alzheimer's Association of Greater NJ offers a one-time grant of $1,000 for the care of persons with Alzheimer's or related diseases.

After you enroll and are accepted into their respite program, you submit your paid receipts for the care of your loved one and a check is issued to you. I believe they cover a three month window from the start of your acceptance into the program.

The Alzheimer's Association of Greater NJ is also an excellent resource to answer questions and offer help or solutions to caregivers.

http://www.alz.org/nj/

Chickadee Chickadee
Jul '14

Thank you all for the very helpfull feedback. I will follow up on your suggestions. We need relief.

wonderful wonderful
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.