Hunter's Tavern Fire 7/28/14

Haven't seen this mentioned yet here on the message board. Heck I couldn't even find any mention of this place in the archives.......but Hunter's Tavern on Rt 57 in Stewartsville was destroyed by a fire early this morning:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/07/new_jersey_state_police_state.html#incart_m-rpt-1

That's terrible. I actually heard about a fire on Rt. 57 on the traffic...such a shame.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '14

Customer told me about it last night. Such a shame. He said it was a lightning strike, but the article doesnt say that. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hope they can rebuild.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '14

I was going to post this yesterday, but feared the "not local to H'town" argument would rage.

Very sad indeed. Jim and Sarah are great people and personal friends of ours. They are devastated for sure.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

The place is mentioned in the archives plenty of times, Vic... you just need to look under Playmakers, or Paisano's or Triple S Saloon, or....

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

ianimal - The archives also reveals I think you've confused "Paisano's" before which is different. I think you mean "Sebastiano's" which was an incarnation before "Playmakers". That era is the two times I can recall being there.

Yes, yes... correct. Sebastiano's is what I meant. I wonder how that name could have escaped me, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Was it Fieldstones for a while too? Or was that someplace different?

Aquarius Aquarius
Jul '14

It was the Franklin House awhile back.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Wasnt it once called The New Village Inn?

Jul '14

Been out of the loop lately. Does anyone know if a cause was ever determined?

Vic - Last I heard, they suspect a lightning strike.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I heard lightning, too... not sure what variety, though.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Yeah well ianimal, I posted that about the Main St. Shoprite fire and they deleted my post, even though it was correct.

Also, everyone at first said that the Hackettstown Diner owners were too nice to do that, until...

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '14

I remember being on my back deck that night and seeing one of the most amazing lightning strikes down in that direction toward Stewartsville. I gasped as it lit up the sky and it appeared that sparks or embers were immediately following the bolt back up into the clouds. This was almost exactly at 9PM that night. Could a building be hit (Such as Hunter's Tavern) by lightning, smoulder for 6 hours and then escalate and eventually destroy the building like what occurred? I know they were open until midnight that night. Could those in the building at the time know if lighting hit the building? Is that something one would know right away?

Not sure of the name of the place at the time, but it was where a few of the county prosecutors were drinking and got in an accident and people were killed.

Onlooker
Aug '14

Vic - From what I heard, from a local firefighter, there was a lightning strike which cause electrical sparks in the circuit box in the basement. Not sure the time of the lightning strike. Apparently, the sparks from the circuit box cause the fire which began in the basement. Obviously, this isn't an official report, just what I heard from someone who was involved.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Onlooker-I remember that. Same place, but different name and owners. Shame!

H'town diner was "owners" strike. Did they do any time for that?

Aug '14

The hackettstown diner , one of them passed as a result of his burns (a few years after the fire). And i think the other did some time in jail?

Onlooker
Aug '14

Lightning is the official cause of the fire.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/08/officials_lightning_caused_hun.html#incart_river

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.