Rte 46 closing by Pump House / Bridge Repair

Why is Rte 46 in Htown closing on Aug 16???

bnikit
Jul '14

I think if I'm not mistaken it's due to this bridge repair..

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/rt-46-bridge-replacement-project-to-begin-friday-last-9-months#.U9hUUbHQqQM

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/616421

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/578629#t578639

Grascal
Jul '14

I think they're working on the bridge. It'll be a traffic nightmare for sure

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jul '14

I really wish they can finish one bridge at a time. Look I have no clue what it takes to repair a bridge but these time estimates are crazy. Funny thing is every time I drive by Newburgh Road, I see maybe 3 men working if they are even there. I swear it is time for people to call bullish%%t when they see it. I think we need smarter people to help oversee projects. Prime example, if you are going to close a road for a year and back up traffic for a mile, would you not think to adjust a traffic light to accommodate the overflow of cars. After all it is our tax dollars, right? I think it is great to update and maintain but productivity matters. Sorry had to vent. Took me 25 minutes to go from Hastings to Shoprite today.

Summernico Summernico
Jul '14

I thought the bridge over 46 by mill st was only supposed to be closed for 2 weeks

townie14 townie14
Jul '14

Yes I was venting about Newburgh because that estimate was 8 months. I went off topic. Sorry

Summernico Summernico
Jul '14

So the Rt 46/mill st bridge is gonna be closed for 9 months or 2 weeks. I heard 2 weeks from a dot guy

townie14 townie14
Jul '14

Summernico, I agree, the Route 3 Project was supposed to be completed before the Superbowl. I drive by everyday and there maybe you 15-20 people working on it, what a joke. These construction companies are spreading themselves real thin and taking their time in getting these jobs done. same thing on Route 80, hardley any people working on that project either.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '14

Sounds like there will soon be one lane leading out of Htown. Hope there's no extreme weather related emergency.

bnikit
Jul '14

46 too?! I'm blocked by the work they're doing on Johnsonburg by Allamuchy school! The detour I take dumps me on to 46. WTH! I can't figure out where this is exactly. I need land marks to see it in my head. It says Washington twp and Hackettstown. For the life of me I can't place it. The crap they have going of by the old library on 46 is still going on too.

jaemae jaemae
Jul '14

I think it means the bridge by the Pump House Restaurant.

happycamper happycamper
Jul '14

Lets give our elected officials - town, county and state - a round of applause for creating this traffic nightmare and lets remember them all come election time. A bit of foresight and cooperation could have eased the pain considerably..

njdad2 njdad2
Jul '14

No surprise- just more bureaucratic ineptitude from our "leaders".... it is the world we live in now.

And because NJ is such an over-populated state (yes, even Warren County, at least in the city centers), anything related to traffic is usually an unmitigated disaster.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '14

OH! Thank you happycamper. Is that considered Washington Twp? Ugh everyone will have to go down to the light by Ihop and Mcdonalds to make the left to get up Hackettstown hill.

jaemae jaemae
Jul '14

One side of road is Washington Twsp./Morris County (Pump House side) - when you cross the bridge it's Hackettstown/Warren County. County/town line MAY switch right before the bridge - by STS Tires/Tynan's - thus County Line Sporting Goods/across from Bills Service Center.

Either way - nightmare! IF East Ave. floods (which is has in recent years) then we're all stuck.....not sure which way out of town at that point? Hopefully we won't have hurricane/trop storm during the 2 weeks that bridge is completely closed....only after the one-lane thing starts.

ss2cats ss2cats
Jul '14

And Schooley's Mountain will be closed too. If you have to go towards Chester, it's going to be a nightmare for you. So glad I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

Trucks over certain weight are not allowed on East Ave. - plus difficult to navigate that sharp turn by the river So.... will they have to get off in Allamuchy? (on Rt. 80) and come into H-town that way? State DOT hasn't thought this one out.... folks in Fort Lee thought GWB "Bridgegate" was crazy and that was only one day..... our "Bridgegate" will last for 9 months!

ss2cats ss2cats
Jul '14

That's right ss2cats...I forgot about the flooding. Damn. Thanks for clearing up the town line thing for me. I didn't know any of that. And Schooleys Mountain too? We're trapped!! lol. Exit 19 sounds like the solution.

jaemae jaemae
Jul '14

Maybe this poor planning that could potentially put commuters/area residents at risk would be a story the Star Ledger would have interest in reporting. If a major storm occurred with all these bridge/road closures it could be difficult getting "out of town."

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '14

"If a major storm occurred with all these bridge/road closures it could be difficult getting "out of town.""

Ok that is getting a little exaggerated, even in Mountain Ave/East Ave flood during the 10 days the bridge is completely closed there are many ways out of town.

Ways out of town:
High St
Willow Grove
Grand/Rockport
46W

darwin darwin
Jul '14

Hi darwin, What you say is true about other ways "out" of town. But, IMHO, it is still poor planning to have so many roads/bridges under repair in the same general time frame.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '14

@ summernico: before Newburgh Rd was closed for the bridge replacement the Washington Twp police said that there would be adjustments to the traffic light on Rt57&Mountain Ave based on the experience of the Newburgh closure from a few years ago. Give them a jingle and see what they say.

The light is in Hackettstown though so perhaps it's better to call Hackettstown police.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '14

Holy Cow
i have a sign on rt 46 in Independence that states rt 46 will be closing August 16
I was thinking WHERE?
and you all now tell me it is clear over by the Pump House.

Talk about letting you know WAY IN ADVANCE.

I don't really travel that way too often so will not be a problem for me, unless I travel to Target or the trade zone.

Thanks for all this info
Wendy

wbeleno wbeleno
Jul '14

This whole town is one big detour! Trying to get through by the apartments behind the pool is a nightmare also!

Painkiller
Jul '14

From my sources, Schooley's Mountain closing is for paving and should be done by next Weds, so it should be back open well before the 46 Bridge Closing.
-------------------------------
From the Patch - 'Milling and paving on Schooley’s Mountain Road between the intersection of East Mill Road and Springtown Road – a 1.6-mile stretch – will shut the roadway completely from Wednesday, July 30 to Friday, Aug. 1 and again from Monday, Aug. 4 to Wednesday, Aug. 6.

The county-owned roadway is undergoing a complete milling and paving project between the two points, and more roadwork is expected this summer between the Springtown Road intersection and Hackettstown line.

Detours will be established at Camp Washington Road and Fairview Avenue during this week’s milling.'
--------------------------

Unfortunately the winter and infrastructure age has clearly taken it's toll and road construction of this sort is best done in the summer.

Most of the times they are timed so that most projects are completed before schools open up again. At that time the Newburgh Road project should be the only one taking place and all other roads should be fully open.

We'll be hoping that the weather cooperates and the Route 46 Bridge project stays in the 10-day estimate.

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Jul '14

i agree it is not the best planning but saying someone should call the paper and they are putting residents at risk is a little far fetch.

darwin darwin
Jul '14

I wonder why, on these small bridges, they can't do the site prep and build the bridge remotely at the same time. The when the site work is done, truck it in and drop it in place. Cut the time in half. The drawings are done so nothing should be in the way.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Jul '14

They have to get it all done before school starts. Less traffic now.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '14

Rt 46 fully closed for 10 days, then one lane only for about 10 months, will not be done before school opens.

eapos eapos
Jul '14

just had a visit from NJ State Dept of Transportation handing out notices that route 46 by the Pump House both directions will be closed august 16 thru 26th and the detour will be down East ave.

stressed out stressed out
Aug '14

there you go...

**Route 46 Bridge over Musconetcong River to be closed
Reconstruction work expected to take 10 days in Warren and Morris counties***

(Trenton) New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a project to replace the Route 46 bridge over the Musconetcong River in Hackettstown, Warren County, and Mt. Olive and Washington, Morris County, which will require the bridge to be closed for 10 days.

To prepare for the full closure, NJDOTs contractor, Creamer-Sanzari, Inc., is scheduled to close one lane of the bridge overnight from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning on both Thursday, August 7 and Friday, August 8. One travel lane will be maintained with alternating traffic directed by flagmen.

At 9 p.m. on Saturday, August 16, the bridge is scheduled to be closed to all traffic in both directions for approximately 10 days. Local traffic will have access to the businesses on either side of the bridge. The bridge is expected to reopen on or about Tuesday, August 26.

Signed detours will be posted for cars and trucks. A truck detour will be implemented around the project limits and will utilize only state and county roads.

Car Detour

· Motorists traveling on Route 46 eastbound will be directed to Route 182 (Mountain Avenue) southbound to East Avenue eastbound to Route 46

· Motorists traveling on Route 46 westbound will be directed to East Avenue westbound to Route 182 (Mountain Avenue) northbound

Truck Detour

· Tractor trailers traveling on Route 80 eastbound attempting to reach businesses on the east side of the bridge construction zone are to continue on Route 80 to Exit 27 for Route 46 in Netcong and proceed westbound on Route 46

· Tractor trailers traveling on Route 80 westbound attempting to reach businesses on the west side of the bridge construction zone are to continue on Route 80 westbound to Exit 19 (CR 517/ Hackettstown/Allamuchy) and continue south on CR 517 into Hackettstown to Route 46 westbound

· Tractor trailers traveling on Route 46 eastbound attempting to reach businesses on the east side of the bridge construction zone should take CR 517 (Mountain Ave.) north to Route 80 east to Exit 27 for Route 46 in Netcong and proceed westbound on Route 46

· Tractor trailers traveling on Route 46 westbound attempting to reach businesses on the west side of the bridge construction zone are to take Route 183 south to Route 80 west to Exit 19/CR 517 south into Hackettstown

Upon reopening the bridge, the normal complement of one travel lane in each direction will be available. However, construction barriers on both sides will reduce the lane width to provide a safe construction area as work continues on the parapets, sidewalk, curbs, and drainage. Overnight lane closures requiring a single lane of alternating traffic with flagmen may be necessary until the completion of the project.

The $3.4 million federally-funded project will provide for partial replacement of the bridge with a new superstructure composed of pre-cast, pre-stressed concrete beams with an integral concrete deck. The use of prefabricated components will minimize impacts and avoid a prolonged construction period.

When complete, the new superstructure will have 15-foot wide travel lanes in each direction and a sidewalk will be provided along the southern side of the bridge with an aluminum railing, similar to the existing condition. The existing bridge abutments and pier will be repaired in place and Route 46 will be repaved at the bridge approaches. NJDOT anticipates the project being completed by the end of 2014.

Route 46 is a rural/urban arterial route that runs parallel to I-80 from Pennsylvania to Northern New Jersey with an average daily traffic of 13,000 vehicles in this more rural area. This particular location is a vital link between Warren and Morris counties.

NJDOT coordinated the construction staging and traffic impacts with officials from Mt. Olive, Washington, and Hackettstown. A public information center was held in Hackettstown in November 2013 to provide residents and business owners the opportunity to review project plans and talk to key project personnel prior to construction.

Variable message signs will notify motorists of traffic pattern changes. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOTs traffic information website www.511nj.org real-time travel information.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

"Tractor trailers traveling on Route 46 eastbound attempting to reach businesses on the east side of the bridge construction zone should take CR 517 (Mountain Ave.) north to Route 80 east to Exit 27 for Route 46 in Netcong and proceed westbound on Route 46"

Obviously, the State of NJ isn't aware that CR517 North of Rt 46 is HIGH Street, not Mountain Ave. although technically Mountain Ave. IS part of Rt 517, as is Rt. 46 between the int. with Mt. Ave. and High Street.

Yes, it's comforting to know that they aren't even aware of their own road infrastructure and routing. NOT!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

holy smokes!

we're gonna get creamed!

NJDOTs contractor, Creamer-Sanzari, Inc.

let's see now, since everything takes twice as long or more as first thought, the bridge will be closed till columbus day, approximately, right?

maybe there's a little turtle under the bridge? or a salamander? that will hold things up till sack can counsel the little critters on career change.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '14

To bad they never built the cut thur from rt 46 to rt 57. That would have relieved some of the gridlock. I guess I won't be eating at mickey D's or Ihop for awhile. 10 days... right

dot is evil dot is evil
Aug '14

anyone have the latest information on this ? are they still scheduled to close it on the 16th?

mom of one mom of one
Aug '14

Yes, still scheduled to close on Sat. Aug. 16th

Reminder - it's just by the Pump House - Mountain Avenue and Main Street will remain OPEN.

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Aug '14

The count down begins,this is not going to be good.

Is it real
Aug '14

Dot-just take East Ave into town from the Rt 46 mountain and out of town from Mountain Ave. Fast food alley will still be accessible.

Aug '14

I don't think it is closed yet, but I just came through there and traffic was backed up from the light at 5 corners all the way to the Ihop plaza. Can't imagine what it will look like next week.

I'm so glad I don't live in that area anymore. I feel bad for all of you who will have to battle this nightmare. Just be glad it's a relatively short project, not one of the ones that go on for months or years.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

East Ave is going to be so backed up. Besides that the tractor trailers cannot use East Ave. This will make rt, 46 back up past Target, will make Mountain Ave a nightmare and rt. 46 in town backed up. Lets pray they get this done in the 10 days they say it will take because rain is coming. I feel bad for the store owners.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Christine is so right....

will make Mountain Ave a nightmare [[ Christine Message 55 mins ago]]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It only takes One Lion ( i.e.the closed bridge ) inside a herd of Water Buffalo to cause panic and confusion.
A jam up can affect all surrounding roads to turn into a Mass traffic confusion.

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

Re: Rte 46 closing by Pump House / Bridge Repair

Wow... they are busy today!

OP on the phone
Aug '14

Christine but it is just as much an opportunity for some - they have 10 days of traffic that normally don't go that way normally - hopefully some of the businesses grasp the chance!

trekster3- trekster3-
Aug '14

Not sure if this be on the venting thread or here :). It just took me 42 minutes to get from the Honda dealership to Arthur Terrace, where I live. Yikes! Hope it is just 1st day pains???? Otherwise, it will be a looooonnnnngggg 10 days. I would recommend avoiding the area right now. But on a bright note, I did hear construction sounds in that area and I think I saw the big crane moving around.

MO Htown MO Htown
Aug '14

I will not be going near Hackettstown for the next 10 days or more so that is one less car to add to the congestion.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '14

If it's that bad on a Sunday, I don't even want to think about what it will be like during rush hours!!

Mariann Mariann
Aug '14

What's going on on rt80 west?

LJRubi LJRubi
Aug '14

Living on Washington St has just become more frustrating with traffic - I've had 2 cars in the last 1 hour using my driveway to turnaround in (the last pick-up truck going over the corner of my lawn). It is going to be a very long 10 days.

Silly question...are there any Hackettstown Police Officers stationed at any of the traffic lights (46 & East, East & Mountain, Mountain & 46) to help DIRECT TRAFFIC, or are they staying far far away and letting people stop in the intersections and totally obstruct traffic when the lights turn red?

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

Just came up Willow Grove to Main St. about 1/2 hour ago and could see Police presence over to the left by the bank. However, coming home on Rte 80W long before the ramp to take you onto Waterloo Road there was bumper to bumper traffic that we were stuck in for some time. Really don't know what that was all about but probably the same thing LJRubi experienced.

joyful joyful
Aug '14

I saw NO police at all, from 12-12:45. It did not seem like either the light at East Ave and 46 nor East Ave and Mountain Ave had been adjusted to accommodate the extra traffic on East but I was so angry at that point I just might not have been paying close attention. My roommate just called - I warned him NOT to take 46, so he said he would take 517 down through Panther Valley. He just called to tell me 517 is backed up onto 80. This is going to be a very lllllllooooonnnnnggggg 10 days if this is any indication.....

MO Htown MO Htown
Aug '14

Its bad now wait til tomorrow.

Trekster I for one did all my shopping in town this week to avoid the next 10 days. Went to Pet store, Re-Style, Demi's but again they were closed on Friday by 3pm, Hit Treasure Trove looking for a bday gift and took Mom out to lunch. Now I will just stay here and go to my meetings. Roads are so backed up already can you imagine what tomorrow is going to bring?

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Flipped car on Rt 80 this afternoon.

Saw cops working light at Mt Ave and East Ave about 230pm today. Traffic a mess.

Aug '14

Route 80 westbound, overturned vehicle west of exit 26. One lane may be blocked, also pothole repair - as per Hackettstown PD.

I have to head over to Roxbury later, I think it's going to be a long ride, ugh.

Lynnada Lynnada
Aug '14

I left at 11am rt. 80 eastbound exit 19 and traffic westbound was at a standstill for miles and miles. I felt like it must be something going on by Hope or the Gap. Just got home now..took 80 west bound till Budd lake exit where it began to stop. Rt. 46 east was clogged so took Waterloo to Bilby to PV with no problem.

Any updates on the road conditions this morning and also are there any back ups right now?

Aug '14

RIN ROBYN POOLS IS STILL OPEN! Please feel free to visit us. :)

HOURS ARE M-F 9-7, SAT 9-5 AND SUN 10-4.

We can be reached at 908-850-8545.

The road is closed for bridge repair; however, you can access the businesses near the bridge by taking East Avenue over to route 46. You are permitted to bypass the detour signs.

Rin Robyn Pools Rin Robyn Pools
Aug '14

I drove 46 to mountain to east ave at 7am this morning with no issues,there was a state trooper on the corner(I hop)to keep trucks off east ave and the normal 2 Washington twsp cops sitting on h-town mountain(don't they ever patrol anything else?)but it went well because the is also no traffic coming at you by the hope bank(no delay).

Is it real
Aug '14

Just got a nixel there is a 10 to 15 minute delay right now.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

http://wrnjradio.com/wrnj-news-department/2014/day-two-of-46-closures-smoother-police-say/

I cannot wait for this to be over....

soccermom79 soccermom79
Aug '14

Just came through Mt. Ave at 5:00pm and it wasn't an issue at all. As a matter of fact I got home quicker tonight than I would have on a normal day.

That's great news. I need to make a Target stop this week!

Aug '14

Look out - overturned semi on 80W by exit 25 (206North). Everyone will be getting off at Exit 25 (Budd Lake) towards H'town .....

Indy Neighbor
Aug '14

This bridge route 46 closing won't be an issue if they did find a way to connect 46 to 57, Yesterday so many people made left of 46 by Target Way thinking they will avoid all the traffic, ....NOT, then some smart drivers drove thru the cemetery to save couple of minutes, and I just noticed there's a new camera installed across from Ihop

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Aug '14

I had to go over to Hyundai at 5 and it wasn't bad. Hardly any Route 46 traffic come off the hill which is usually quite busy between 5 and 6. People must be finding alternate routes.

hopeful hopeful
Aug '14

The light on Mountain Ave. heading North (towards the 5 points) lasted a good 30 seconds plus at 3:45 pm when I went through the area. That was enough time for the two semis at the front of the conga line to go, as well as me and others. I was just below the intersection with Little Street at the time. Normally you get through the light only if you're close to the Shell Driveway and there aren't any semis in front of you that have to get started on the hill.

Not too bad yet, just wait 'til tomorrow when the newest Schooley's Mt. fun gets started, then next week when the shoe really drops:

http://local.nixle.com/alert/5252378/

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

Regarding the work on Schooley's Mountain Road from the county line to Newburgh...

Why why why is this being done NOW, while the bridge on Newburgh is closed??? All the cars who are forced to go down Schooley's to get around the bridge replacement will now be forced to try to navigate yet another construction project. Doesn't anyone at the county or state DOT level have any brains????????

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

No State Troopers today and the first thing I saw this morning was a tractor trailer on East Avenue waiting to turn at Mountain. Overall though, it's been much less horrendous than I expected...but it's only been one work day so far.

JerryG, I'm shaking my head over that too. I live in Hastings and it's like we're trapped on an island.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Aug '14

I am like a walking zombie today, couldnt sleep due to the bridge construction !!!! DO they have to work all night??

The more they work around the clock, the faster the project will be completed.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

From my limited understanding; both bridges are federally funded, and both were deemed deficient long ago. The Rt. 46 bridge being severely deficient and nearing collapse under heavy load. For all the people complaining... would they rather see it collapse and kill people??? Then you'd REALLY have some delays! The new bridges will be great and help Hackettstown avoid more serious problems later. So stop your whining.

T Lack T Lack
Aug '14

To be fair, the traffic has been much better than I ever expected. The police are on top of things, the trucks are being turned around, and most importantly, the timing of the lights was adjusted. That makes all the difference. If they could adjust the light at Mountain/Rt. 57, the SMR traffic will ease a lot too.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '14

SMR I think is not a state Hwy any more since St Rt 24 was removed. Morris county has jurisdiction on CR 517 in Washington Twp. Morris.

Haaaa... It won't be long and they will send a drone to send video to a command center, and if need be. they will adjust the light timing to control the area, until the congestion is relieved.
That way, the police will be relieved of traffic duty, and will have more time to fight crime and be more efficient to the town (s).

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

I agree this has been considerably less painful than I expected. Good job to all involved

Puppydad Puppydad
Aug '14

Arggg, I only drive up Schooleys Mts occasionally, but last night I saw what is causing some folks to have issues. I was on Mtn Ave waiting for a green light to head towards Greenway. Only 3 car got through. I was the first car and went as soon as the light turned green. I thought maybe it was a glitch in the light, but on my way back it was the same short light, but only two cars got through. No wonder there is a such a long line of traffic heading to H'town from Long Valley. Just so happy the bridge by Happy Tails is now finished.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '14

No glitch, MsFishy, that's how it always is. Three cars, maybe, get through on the green turning arrow. It's very short, complicated by the fact that many cars blow through the red light going right onto 57 from Mountain, and by the fact that people like to put their head down into their phones at a red light and aren't ready when it changes.

I'm just not sure what it matters who "owns" the road. The light should have been adjusted.

Aug '14

Don't forget guys you can take the Waterloo exit off 80 and come on down to town like that.

Smack Smack
Aug '14

This afternoon (Thurs) ~4:30 pm traffic backed up on Rt. 46 to the radio station/car dealer/before Target traffic light! Making the left turn at East Ave. was a nightmare as some folks decided it should be a two-lane turn - NOT!! Washington Twp. police sitting at the Dr.'s office on corner watching people make illegal turns from right lane on Rt. 46 onto East Ave. as the left turn lane was also making the turn. GRRRR!

Little pet-peeve here: If you are going left on Mountain Ave. from East Ave. at Rite-Aid/IHOP/McD's it's a double, left turning lane. Those of us who LIVE or have to go toward businesses on the right hand turn section of Mountain/Main St., etc. HAVE to be in the right turn lane.....fill up the lanes folks....causes less back-up on East Ave., etc. I can't imagine that everyone turning left onto Mountain that is sitting in the right hand turn lane is going to McD's or the dry cleaners!!! (Hope this makes sense!)

Luckily the NOISE is diminished from the bridge repair. It was VERY loud all weekend - 24 hours and of course some loud blasting, etc. seemed to happen between 4-5 am. What's a little sleep in the name of progress!

ss2cats ss2cats
Aug '14

Ms Fishy, I agree .That light has been the biggest problem for me with Rt. 46 closed. I have been coming down the mountain after work and have been stuck there each night. Of course it would help if the people that were turning left would actually use their blinker and get in the proper lane.

Spoke too soon....traffic was horrible today. What was different?? Like ss2cats said above...only it was still like that an hour later when I came through. People flying down the hill in the right lane and cutting over at the end--you all suck. You know the road is closed...get in line like you're supposed to.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '14

Why arent people taking Waterloo Rd. Home? Hubby did it and it was smooth sailing.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Christine, I don't live on that side of town...I was prepared to take Naughright to Flocktown to SMR but it wasn't too bad until today. Hopefully there will be more good days than bad for the duration of the project.

By the way, people cutting through a cemetery to save time...despicable.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '14

I understand Tracy. Its just seems not everyone lives ehere uou are. Hubby had a Dr. Appointment and came jome that way anf said it was empty.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Willow Grove to Waterloo to Rt. 80 is definitely the way to head east on 80, and in reverse coming home. Just don't understand why so many folks get off 80 in Budd Lake and deal with the traffic on 46. You all might find you like this route better without all the traffic lights. Nice scenic drive too.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '14

I live in Mansfield. On a normal day (without the bridge being closed) traveling west on route 80, it takes me on average only a minute or two longer to stay on 80 to exit 19 (Allamuchy) and then south on 519 and then Grand to Rockport Road, than to get off 80 at exit 26 (Mt Olive) and come down 46 to East Ave to Mountain Ave to 57.

Too many lights and too much traffic on 46 most "normal" days.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

Staying on Rt 80 all the way to exit 19 is almost 8 miles farther. There are no lights if you get off at the Waterloo exit till the 5 corners, and it can be avoided by taking the side street.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '14

oh great - just what a nice back county road like waterloo road needs - a line of commuters speeding to and from work to avoid lights and traffic on primary roads. Wildlife, "sunday drivers", bikers, and joggers don't stand a chance now on this beautiful winding road. Another hidden gem exposed to the masses - it's the new Route 46. good job! Tractor Trailers welcomed, too.

honey badger honey badger
Aug '14

I'll bet the police are on Waterloo road lurking and looking for speeders?

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

Tracy Message Tracy
15 hours ago

"People flying down the hill in the right lane and cutting over at the end--you all suck."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ME First ... Me Me Me Me First.... That's typical NJ Drivers.

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

Sorry honey badger, been traveling that route for years. Today was just as quiet as it always is. No tractor trailers, just us little ole cars. No hikers hiking, no bikers biking, and no runners running. (no police either-we were able to travel along at 40 - 45 mph) The roads to 80 have been there as long as Rt. 80 has been, and the traffic on Waterloo/Willow Grove is no worse than back when Waterloo Village was open. Nice to share the road with folks who know how to drive.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '14

The traffic gods hate me. Just came through from Schooleys Mtn Rd. Schooleys Mtn backed up coming up to 57 PAST Newberg Rd. Not sure how much longer it would take to get to East Ave or up to 5 corners, as I live in Kenwood so I turned off on Shelly. It took about 15-20 minutes just to get from Newberg to Shelly. Can't wait for all this to finish up, and hopefully they won't have to do any more major work like this for awhile. I understand this is a necessary evil.

MO H'town MO H'town
Aug '14

MO H'town, it was pretty bad today. Thankfully, the East Ave traffic was not. I'll say it again...if they'd only extend the light there, it would make a world of difference. This is a months long project...and only going to get worse once school starts and the resurfacing project starts.

I hate to jinx it, but the traffic on 46 from Budd Lake has seemed lighter this week too...it's the lack of trucks and probably some other people avoiding the area.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '14

Thursday I was talking to the Boss at the Newburg Rd Bridge. He said it should be done by November. He said they were going to bid on the Rt 46 Bridge but decided against it because of the clause in the contract. The successful bidder was going to have a strict 10 day window to complete the job regardless of weather. If the project is not complete in the 10 day window, there were very heavy fines per day till complete. So my guess is it will be on time or darn close to it!

Mr. 4paws

4paws 4paws
Aug '14

Glad to hear there is a deadline. However, no one was working tonight when I drove by so their round the clock work doesn't seem promising.

Digital Digital
Aug '14

Making a left onto easy ave from the right Is unacceptable.

I can't wait for this to be over, I'm getting really tired of idiots that can't accept waiting in line like civilized people almost running me off the road.

Puppydad Puppydad
Aug '14

I'm with you Tracy & Puppydad. Nor is it okay to ride the right lane turning on East Ave (by Rite Aid) and then hook in front of all the other cars going straight. I wouldn't mind a Police Officer sitting at the old Rite Aid parking lot to grab a few of these drivers.

I went to Target yesterday and couldn't believe how bad it was to get home!! People flying up, cutting in the lines, then people making a right at the light, just to make a uturn in the middle of the street to be at that light coming in from the side street. I noticed cards cutting through Peachtree and the cemetary. If everyone wasn't cutting in front of everyone it would have moved quicker, it took me atleast 20 extra minutes to get home! I think that was my last trip to target until the bridge is fixed.

Sunshine Sunshine
Aug '14

One more day! (Hopefully) And then a whole week until they tear up the next road.

I got the heads up about the traffic yesterday so I went Naughright to Flocktown to Schooley's. Took me 10 minutes exactly including the light at Naughright and the slow poke in front of me.

Aug '14

Sat in this traffic last night for almost 20 minutes. I had merged and watched several cars fly right past me down the right lane passing everyone. I usually don't do things like this, but, at one point I cut over into the lane to block a car. I couldn't take it anymore!! Wait like the rest of us poor souls!
Well, he wasn't happy that I had come over into the lane to stop him so he went up onto the grass, around my car, and stopped to give me several unfriendly gestures. I waved and gave him a little smile. I'm not sure an a** like this got my point but I did it anyway.

blockingcars blockingcars
Aug '14

Given the fact that so many arrogant people are too impressed with themselves to wait their turn with the commoners, why aren't the police waiting for them to give them a ticket? They could make a fortune for the town!!

Tanya Tanya
Aug '14

it is not legal to control the flow of traffic with your car. so I would imagine the people blocking the passing cars are in the wrong.

arent people trying to cut through peach tree to avoid light? sure seems like a idea as i wait at that light.

I saw 18 wheelers blocking the right lane before the construction zone on I 78 in Pennsy last weekend. Because of them traffic flowed like it should. The Pennsy Troopers sitting in their cars did not seem to have any problems with it.

John C John C
Aug '14

It's not legal to block the flow of traffic with your car, but I love when people do it. It makes things go smoother when there's no cops to write tickets to the morons who drive 40 mph on the shoulder to cut traffic.

Puppydad Puppydad
Aug '14

Bridge open per HPD facebook page

Route 46 Route 46
Aug '14

Yes it is open just go slow there is a bit of a bump on it....everyone was making the left we said hmm no barricades lets go for it... woo hoo!

Grascal
Aug '14

brotherdog. Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy working on collecting all the frogs that get ran over on rt 46 during a rain storm. I remove the skin and then sew them all together. My plan is to create a large frog costume which I'll then use to coax all the living frogs from hiding. Once I've lured them all to my lair I'll use some jedi mind trickery to convince them that I am their leader. Then with my new frog army, I'll finally be able to take over the entire tri state area. All hail the frog overload.

sack
Aug '14

sack

It looks as though you're a member of the "Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz school of Mad Scientists" the entire Tri-State area indeed!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Now that has been almost a month since it reopened when are they going to finish the job. Doesn't look like they have done anything to the roadway except add a little asphalt where the bumps were.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '14

"The construction on the bridge over the Musconetcong River began in June and will be completed Friday.

Although the paving will be finished, the intersection of East Avenue in Washington Township to the intersection of US Route 182 in Hackettstown on US Route 46 will be closed in both directions from 10:30 p.m. Friday to 7:30 a.m. Saturday."

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/route-46-bridge-open-after-months-construction#.VD0QUfldUuc

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.