Building permit for roofing

Good morning,

Does anyone know off-hand how much a building permit costs in Hackettstown for putting in a new roof?

I checked the Hackettstown municipal website, and found the applications, but did not see the cost (unless I'm somehow missing it ...).

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Robert Durana Robert Durana
Aug '14

$178. That's what the BD charged me in April...AND IT WAS A TOTAL F'N WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

The inspector came by shortly after the roof was done. He never even walked up to the house. Stood by the sidewalk, looked up, and approved the work.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

Wow! What a scam, eh?

Thanks for the info ...... much appreciated!

- Rob

Aug '14

Unless you are doing the roof work yourself, the roofer usually includes the cost of the building permit in his estimate for doing the work. Otherwise you have to pay a visit to Town Hall and get one yourself. The cost must have really gone up as I seem to recall 10 years ago it was only around $50..

joyful joyful
Aug '14

Thanks Joyful. The contractor gave us a quote, but when I asked about other additional fees, i.e. taxes, etc., he advised the only add-on cost would be the permit. And yeah, I had thought it would only be around $35 or $45 ..... glad I asked!

Thanks again! :-)

Aug '14

Mansfield charges $125 and I think they use the same inspection service.

My inspector looked at the roof ask me if it leaked. I said it was his job to tell me if it would leak. He gave me the permit and left. I agree with emaxxman

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Aug '14

If you get a permit for $50, let us know. I'll have a very interesting discussion with the BD and my roofer.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

The roofer should give you a guarantee along with your bill or estimate as to how many years the roof will last. Never could understand anyway why you needed the inspector when you had a written guarantee for the roofing work.....I think he just comes out to see if the job was completed and then notifies Town Hall that it has...

joyful joyful
Aug '14

It is just a wate of money. It is just an additional tax.
You are not going to get anything out of it....nothing. Again, NOTHING.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

Joyful - I think you're taking way too trustworthy of a view. The BD is there to guarantee that things are done right the first time. There are plenty thieves pretending to be contractors. Who's to say the roofer knows what he is doing? What if there was shoddy quality work and my roof started leaking and the roofer has gone out of business? No one necessarily dies from a leaky roof but a hack job with electrical work can be lethal.

"I think he just comes out to see if the job was completed and then notifies town hall..."

And for what purpose is that done? Taxes? Money grab? If that's the case, I could save myself $178 and notify the town myself. I could walk to townhall and back in less than an hour. I sure don't get paid $178/hr.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

Permits are a necessary evil - if you don't get one and someone tells on you or if they see you putting a new roof on without one, the fine could be up to $500. (Which is much more than a permit) My friend in Long Valley tried to put a roof over a back deck without a permit, unkind neighbors turned him in, inspector showed up and issued him the summons.
I know the inspectors do a poor job and you are on their timetable
and they don't care one bit if you are waiting for them and it's holding up the job.
The inspectors are supposed to protect you from a person doing shoddy, unsafe or just bad work.
Robert, give the town a call and get the current information (and let us know)
Good Luck!

Will H Will H
Aug '14

Back when I had my roof replaced the inspector got on the roof and told me that the roofers should have torn a section of the shingles in the one valley. He did the job and told me to pass on the information to the builder. Otherwise, the roofer did a great job.

I've heard that the inspector that's doing the job now doesn't like heights and doesn't climb to see high things. Personally, if this is the case I feel the guy shouldn't be doing the job, as he's not seeing if the work is being done properly. Maybe if enough people experience the inspector not doing the job correctly something will be done about it, otherwise nothing is going to change. After all, the permits are to protect the property owners in addition to revenue for the town.

Magpie Magpie
Aug '14

In the good old days you didn't need a permit. The banks would come around and check there house out. If you needed a roof or paint job. They told you to get it done or gave you a loan to get it done. Those that get a Reverse Mortgage are subject to those rules today.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

I just called the construction dept at the Municipal building. The permit is not a fixed price. It costs $34 per thousand square feet. The contractor has to supply this information upon submittal of the application.

Aug '14

Was interested to read this thread since we are roofing this year. Just called the construction office this week. One small correction, the permit cost is now $35 per $1000.00 of the estimated total cost, plus a few dollars for state fees. So cost will vary depending on your roof and contractor.

hktownie hktownie
May '15

just an f.y.i.,
I sent my roofing work receipts and inspection info to my homeowners as an f.y.i..
Don't know if it hurts, but they get copies of all the work I have done to my home.

Steven Steven
May '15

Mansfield charged me 299.00. Its a per square foot charge. And it worthless but you have to have it.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '15

@Old Gent - My sister has the same HOI company I do, in a different town and she said they came out to her house, looked it over and told her she has to get her roof replaced, and some other stuff or they will drop her. I have lived in my house for over 15 years and NEVER, EVER had anyone come out and look over my house and tell me anything.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.