ISIS Beheads US Journalist

Journalist Thomas Foley was beheaded by ISIS today. They are also holding two more hostages and said they will do the same to them tomorrow. These guys need to be taken out immediately as they have served notice that will be coming after us.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '14

Just lets make that entire country a big litter box..Nuke the animals

boobalaa boobalaa
Aug '14

I agree. It's sickening how heartless they are.

LV Mom
Aug '14

Thats Nice and the United States lets more muslims into this country everyday.The Muslims get food stamps and handouts when they come to this country. The USA has not learned the lessons of 9/11 in 2001.

from
Aug '14

I have never agreed with an HL poster as much as I have with boobalaa right now. Nuke the goat effers so they glow in the dark and we can kill them easier.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '14

Every tyrant has a pretext for his tyranny.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Aug '14

Those people have been fighting over there for hundreds of years. What makes you think the US will be able to stop them now. We all know how they feel about Americans so what the hell are American journalists doing over there.

Onlooker
Aug '14

God rest the soul of the man who was just doing a job, & may those who did this
be damned. The US really needs to leave & let them kill each other and fight until
there is nothing left. Such a bunch of heartless, ruthless people with no respect for human life. People who can starve & torture innocent children what kind of monsters are they. Drop the bomb & put them out of their misery, & stop letting them into the USA at all cost. We cannot take care of our own, why do we keep giving to countries that all they want to do is harm their own & us.

GMmom GMmom
Aug '14

The same reason why the journalists are in fergeouson. To be able to get the savagages on tape when they do something horrendous.

Philliesman Philliesman
Aug '14

The time for action is now,Obama what will you do? Open a giant can of whooop ass on those pigs!Let's Napalm them,put a landing strip on there land, and say who is next! They just killed one of us! Are you still going to give your Muslim buddies free entry into our country?We need leadership so bad,how long can we look the other way !

Why are they still over there? Should have been brought home. Job or no job, your life is more important. RIP and god bless his family.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

ISIS has pledged to come to the US and I see no reason not to believe them. Our borders are wide open with no signs of being closed and we are already probably being infiltrated. Only a fool would no believe that this open border is not being taken advantage of.
And our disaster of a president, a disgrace on every measure, continues to golf and fund raise. Now, an American has been publicly beheaded with threats of more to come. The question is what will we do? My fear is that we will continue on our present path of being politically correct, deciding what is fair, allowing the continuation and destruction of our moral foundations and our constitution.

A personal thank you to the myriad of dullards and miscreants who placed this man in office twice.

I just finished an old Rolling Stone article written by a vet returning to Baghdad. Yeah, really dangerous, plus he was a disillusioned vet so had an axe to grind, but even with the danger brought some first hand views of the country which is now even more divided than US between the have's (new shopping malls, western goods, food courts,), have nots (what we imagine is all of Iraq) and the oil (the smell is 24x7). The money is rolling in, some have it but trickle down is not exactly rampant, and new stuff was being developed even though kids with guns still roam some streets. The reporter had to be lights-out, away from the windows, to avoid a long range ISIS bullet while in his fancy hotel. It was insights you couldn't get except from this brave lad on the street.

So perhaps that's why some go, to share first-hand accounts of what's going on versus fanning some agenda's fire. Have read similar accounts from Syria.

That said, ISIS is a very serious world threat and now they have financial backing as well. Perhaps funded by Qatar but doubtful as ISIS shuns foreign investment. Most of ISIS's revenue is internally financed via extortion, protection rackets, and war plunder from it's victims. They don't use banks so assets can not be frozen or seized. And they are cheap, they invest in themselves wisely. This makes them financially, very, very dangerous. They are probably making over $1M per day and are the richest terrorist group that we face.

So we can level these countries but that will not erase the bankroll ISIS already has. We can not use our same financial attack that we launched on Al Qaeda who got their funding from foreign investors and used banks; this financial warfare will not work.

First, the US must take back or destroy all oil fields generating ISIS revenues in both Syria and Iraq. Obama is dropping the ball every day he does not do this. Second, we must find any financial documents and seize any ISIS money we can on the ground via Iraq army or Syrian ISIS fighters. When documents are captured, the US must help decipher them quickly to find any assets we can and then destroy or capture them.

ISIS is a threat and will continue to be one until we stop the cash from flowing in and destroy any cash they have tucked in the bedrolls. With enough money, even a single ISIS member can do damage. And they have over 12,000 foreign fighters on which 2,500 are Westerners Best guess is about 100 Americans. These guys have quickly become a well-financed, savvy, global threat. They want to kill us all.

I don't think leveling the country makes sense but the time has come to immediately capture or level any oil field or revenue-producing asset that ISIS holds whether in Iraq or Syria. We need to strangle the cash flow financing this terrorist threat ASAP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/opinion/disrupt-isiss-cash-flow-in-iraq.html?_r=0

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

Bomb them into space,no more talking Obama,do something,please don't get on tv,and tell us one of your fairy tales,check your shorts !

Wow, a subject we all seem to agree on.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '14

Tabling the politics for a few minutes - it would be great to organize a common way to honor Thomas Foley whose only crime was being an American. ISIS seems to be playing with social media and it would be great to use the same medium to make sure they understand that we are still 1 nation. Especially, since the eradication of ISIS is something that we can all agree on (as JR noted ^^).

Bonv - Honoring Tom Foley is a great idea and I am sure there will be lots of talk and memorials going forward, as they should.

What we need to start to understand as a nation is that groups like ISIS do not care if we are one nation, they do not want to negotiate, they do not want peace, they want no deals or understandings of how we can all get along. They want us converted to Islam or dead and that is it.

To continue on our path of "working" towards a peaceful resolution or demonstrating how we are united as a nation does nothing to quell there goals.

JR - Wait for it......

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Hey JeffesonRepub - You're right! A subject we all agree on!

I grew up in the 60's and remember the images and protests of Vietnam. But when I was learning about the A-bombs we dropped on Japan in WWII, my Dad, who was a marine, would just close his eyes, shake his head, and say what the Japanese were doing to POW's was unspeakable.

When I heard of the beheading of children, I surprised myself when I thought that there is no way to stop this except for something that powerful again. I scare myself with those thoughts - but as Onlooker said - they've been fighting for hundreds of years. Well same for the Israelies and Palestines, but this savagry is different.

Yes, America again is the world's police, the world's hero and villian, but I agree, what do we do? Wait until they're here?

"Such a bunch of heartless, ruthless people with no respect for human life. People who can starve & torture innocent children what kind of monsters are they. Drop the bomb & put them out of their misery, "

yes because bombing innocent women and children show we have so much respect for human live.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

BTW, his name is James, not Thomas.

Lol. There's the liberal comment I've been waiting for.

Philliesman Philliesman
Aug '14

So me thinking it's stupid to say these people don't care about human life in one sentence and then in the very next sentence say we should nuke the entire region makes me a liberal? LOL

how about we eliminate the enemy without having to kill everyone?

darwin darwin
Aug '14

"how about we eliminate the enemy without having to kill everyone?"

As soon as you have that plan worked out, be sure to tell the administration how to accomplish it. Because, to date, that has never been accomplished in human history.

With the possible exception of the Nazis vs the Jews; they targeted a specific group, and did a fairly good job of exterminating them. Come to think of it, that seems to be what ISIS and all islamic extremists are doing/want to do... except the group is, "everyone who isn't a muslim."

Rest assured, we won't nuke anybody. People are using that term figuratively, not literally. But if we don't nuke, that means Gulf War 3. Planes in the air, boots on the ground. There's no other way.

And yes- the atrocities committed by the japanese in WWII easily rivaled what the Nazis did in the concentration camps. America may have interned their own Japanese citizens, but we did not treat them brutally, as Germany and Japan did.

Aug '14

Onlooker
Those people have been fighting over there for hundreds of years. What makes you think the US will be able to stop them now.

Thats a question I had for Bush on day one, a few years ago.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

What do you do with a rabid dog? Put it down. They are a rabid race. The only way to put an end to it, is put them all down. But of course it will never happen and we will dealing with this bs forever.

Philliesman Philliesman
Aug '14

The US, in its current state, should never engage in battle. Since Vietnam we have taken a stance that war should be fought by being fair, being respectful of the enemies rights, religious beliefs and locations. The media counting every single civilian causality and then denigrating nightly the men and women who fight. We saw this recently with Israel being ostracized every day by our media as the "bad guys", scolded by a president who has never had a job let alone led men into battle.

Whenever we fight and are bounded by rules of engagement, rules that the enemy are not required to follow, under the scrutiny of a media that for the most part hates their country we are destined to be committed to an engagement that never really ends and has little possibility of success.

For all of us who have experienced combat we know the horrors or war and why it is something to be avoided, but when a commitment is made to engage it needs to be done with the purpose of winning and protecting the lives of our men and women that are fighting for our freedom, our constitution and our way of life.

Mark. It takes a leader to accomplish that goal. I don't see any on the horizon that has a chance anymore in this environment. PRAY

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

"They are a rabid race." How dumb is that. The concept of leveling the country just won't work and will create more soldiers rather than less.

And get off our high and mighty righteousness. Sure we had to drop the bomb in Japan to save lives but look at Dresden where 50% of the napalm used in WWII was dropped, over 1.5Kilotons. While we used strategic targeting while the English carpet bombed the city with our permission. Then there's Vietnam and worse yet, the real hidden history of the Korean war where we napalmed a nation dropping 250,000 lbs of the stuff every day. It was a three-year war. Cheap stuff, each bomb carried 100 gals and cost $40. 600 Kilotons was dropped, that's 3.5 times what we dropped in Japan. There are still victims of that today. So we rate pretty damn high on the rabidity scale ourselves when we get our dander up.

Same with spouting the liberals are doves crap. Liberals have started just as many wars and served with distinction in them as non-liberals. Uh, Truman --- liberal. Johnson --- liberal. Clinton --- liberal. Heck, Bill used to drop a few bombs whenever he need just to change the headlines. And if you didn't have this to decry Obama's weakness, you'd be crying about the drones and all the killing he has done with them calling him a ruthless assassin.

Yes, we have to kill ISIS, plain and simple, because they will kill us and they will not stop. But leveling countries won't kill them, they will just duck to cover. They learn well as they are not repeating the Al Qaeda mistakes. They are well-funded, have many Western soldiers, and are hell bent to kill us. We need to be smart too and take out the revenue-producing ventures first. Then, during battles, let the guys of the ground find any documentation to uncover hidden cash reserves but help them decipher what's there. And search and destroy the ISIS members with the least amount of collateral killing as possible. But the money is the critical part; without money they can't do anything. They get all there money internally, so stop that and there is none coming from the outside. But one guy with $10M is more dangerous than 1,000 broke guys. This goes for Iraq and Syria; screw the Russians.

And yes, we may never stop terrorism as long as there are disenfranchised and nuts. When it rises though, we need to beat it back ASAP and with as little collateral damage as possible since that just creates more disenfranchisement.

So we may agree as to the goal but it seems our implementation is quite different.

Aug '14

After my son did his tour in Iraq, some things he shared with me I found very disturbing. I cannot see any positive outcome to this current situation. And personally for myself, speaking of open borders, I was almost surprised we didn't capture Saddam Hussein in Florida living in Miami Beach.

Denise Denise
Aug '14

Let those people over there kill each other and as far as the reporter he knew his life was on the line when he got on the plane to go over there . And as far as ISIS comeing over here just because you don't see amicans walking the streets with gun don't think we don't have them or will not defend our self or this country

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '14

Those people are Muslim ( we all know that) it is their religion not their nationality. How do you kill off a whole religion? They are in many diff. countries all over the world. This does not make all Muslims bad people. Just look out your door or window and you may see a Muslim how do we know if they are part of ISIS or not?

Onlooker
Aug '14

IDK maybe the same way you don't know if every Christian you see out your window is part of the KKK

Why do you want to kill off a whole religion?

darwin darwin
Aug '14

FYI, not every Christian is part of the KKK. Why would you possibly think otherwise?

War is going to happen and Im glad my kids wont be going into combat.

Aug '14

as of last year there are 1.6BILLION Muslims in the world. You think there are all part of ISIS? You there majority of them are? Or do you think a teeny tiny portion of them are?

You want to wipe out 1.6Billion people?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/07/worlds-muslim-population-more-widespread-than-you-might-think/

darwin darwin
Aug '14

Quite a response to a Muslim questioner.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204326980673843&set=vb.1209145283&type=2&theater

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

If you let their off spring live, they will come back to fight you again, just like Iraq did ten years later,Bomb the villages,burn the crops, pollute the water supply,kill them all, then say I'm sorry,to anyone thats left! Because then we have made a statement,the team with the bat an ball makes the rules,and the rest of the world will know you have just woke a sleeping giant !Now close the borders,the Muslims have been coming through for quite awhile.Liberals, aren't you glad you put him in office! Lets see how long he takes to act on this.The press conference was joke,so sad.

Stupid armchair generals let's drop a nuke kill all Muslims really then is it okay to kill all Christians some of them, bomb abortion clinics Christians have walk into a church and kill a doctor does that mean all Christians are bad well I guess according to the armchair generals they are. Some people on here say the dumbest things.. As someone said earlier these reporters know the dangers they are getting into and being kill was one of them. Yet they still went thank God Obama is in the White House and we don't have some knee-jerk Republican in their ready to go to war at the drop of a hat That's how we got in to this mess

oldred
Aug '14

it's time to stop being nice.get rid of the Stone Age fanatics now while we can.Oboma grow a pair!!!!!

Population of the US is 300 Million.
As per Darwin, the Muslim population is 1.6 Billion. How many of those are radicals? Do we really know? Do we really *want* to know?

I'm a little nervous for the World right now.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '14

Lobo, you forget to take your meds? You must be a scream at dinner parties.

yankeefan2014 yankeefan2014
Aug '14

Population of the US is 300 Million.
As per Darwin, the Muslim population is 1.6 Billion. How many of those are radicals?

Well, let's do the math...

If 1% are radicals (and I think that is a MORE than safe bet), there are 16 million radicals.

If 10% are radicals (and I think that's a safe bet), there are 160 million radicals.... already getting pretty scary here.

If 20% are radicals (and from everything going on in the world today, I don't think that would be out of the question), we are now at 320 million radicals. Concerned yet?

If only we knew....

I've posted it before, but anyone who thinks Islam is a "religion of peace being co-opted by a FEW radicals", go do some reading.....

www.thereligionofpeace.com

BTW, the last time an abortion clinic was bombed was in 1998.... 16 years ago. 1 person died. Care to put that up against the persecution of all anti-muslims currently happening every single day around the world?

Aug '14

The powers-that-be have been poking that Mideast hornet's nest for years, using your money to buy the poker and your family members to do the poking. Their money and kin are off-limits, unless there is a significant return on their "investment."

Useful idiots polarize around the consequences of this nest-poking, and demand that the region be turned into a glass-lined parking lot via nukes (except for Israel, since the "conservatives" and "liberals" they both support seem to really like that country.)

This is yet another tragic consequence of a foreign policy designed to keep us all divided, keep us in a continuous war (gee, where does all that money come from...and who does it go to??) and "unite" us against a "common enemy" ...............for the ultimate purpose of controlling us.

History repeats itself, in rhyme if not in rote.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Aug '14

very good point jjmonth - so easy to go with the understandable flood of emotion, to join in the hue and cry... step back, look at the history and look at who benefits - whose pockets are lined.. on and on.. we are pawns in the game, playing our role, as our country declines, polarizes and divides further economically... who benefits?

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '14

FWIW, ISIS has no interest in "lining their pockets"... THEY are doing this because it is a HOLY WAR. Extermination of all races on the planet that do not practice extreme islam.

That being said, of course their are politicians and governments looking to profit from it, but the CORE problem is the INSANITY and CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER of the extreme islam movement, regardless of who's holding the flag currently (Osama, or the Tali-ban, or the muslim brotherhood, or ISIS, or...or...or.....)

Aug '14

The only thing to do is unleash the dogs of war http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dogs_of_war_(phrase)

Aug '14

Uh....we trained all these guys?

Obama wanted a second front against Assad in Syria - remember his ill faded idea of bombing Syria. We trained these guys & they flipped the script & now Obama has his second front...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z97JapLe5nw

ISIS Trained by US Government

http://guardianlv.com/2014/06/isis-trained-by-us-government/

Americans are training Syria rebels in Jordan: Spiegel

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/10/us-syria-crisis-rebels-usa-idUSBRE9290FI20130310

How many of you think this would be happening if America would stop putting its nose in places it doesn't belong. The US went to war there looking for something they knew didn't exist killed well over even by conservative estimates 4 to 5 hundred thousand civilians mostly peaceful Muslims you think that might have something to do with why Muslims don't seem to like the US. Let me try to put it in a way even some of the dumbest people on here can understand. Let's say India attacked US destroying most of it and killing 500,000 Americans how many of you would have love for India and their religion

oldred
Aug '14

I think the irony of wanting to murder hundreds of thousands or millions of people vs the savagery and shock of an individual killing (even in multiples) is lost on some of you posting. I mean murder *is* murder, which is what you all are condemning (myself included). It truly is ironic that the "solution" is to act 1,000,000 times worse.

justintime justintime
Aug '14

JIT,

While I understand the point you are trying to make, when you have 1.6 billion carpenter ants who have sworn to destroy your home, you don't just go looking for the ones who are ACTUALLY destroying your home- it's can't be done. You kill them all. Or as many as you possibly can. Until the threat has been reduced to a size that does not require massive action.

If a group of people (be it ISIS, or over-militarized police, or a gang of punks, or an intruder in my home), tells me that they are going to make me "swim in my own blood", it's kill or be killed. I prefer kill. Personally, I enjoy breathing. If someone tells me they ARE going to kill me, I'm not going to sit around and wait for the attempt. I'm going to kill them first.

I don't like what happened in Tokyo, or Dresden, or Hiroshima, or -pick your battle-, any more than anyone else does. But what is the alternative? Attempt to capture every single 1.6 billion ISIS members who have sworn death upon all who do not follow their law, and try them in court? Come on now....

In war (whether officially declared by congress or not), the rules change. You know that. It can't be done otherwise. The goal ("winning" so you get to stay alive) certainly can't be accomplished any other way.

Aug '14

And "the US trained them" argument isn't lost on me... I don't agree with "enemies of my enemies are my friends" way we have handled the middle east. However, NONE OF THAT MATTERS once death has been sworn upon us. I don't care who trained them, where they got their weapons, or which religion they are fighting for.

You say you're GOING to kill me? Bang bang you're dead. Have a nice day.

Aug '14

So how many of you folks who want to wage war will be signing up at your local recruitment office? Or better yet, sign up your children? It's so easy to be big and tough from behind a computer.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

RU: It's funny when you go to the Reuters article forming the basis of your "opinion" news piece, they do not mention ISIS but instead the "Free Syrian Army." The FSA is actively fighting ISIS..... http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/syrian-rebel-group-calls-for-u-s-airstrikes-against-isis-1.2738650

The Telegraph Story, also referenced for the al-Douri connection, notes that al-Douri was on the run in Syria but LEFT due to the war and as of May 2013 was hiding in Mosul as of May, 2013.

Those are the foundation facts from the pieces referenced by the "opinion" that somehow jumped from these facts to US trains ISIS run by al-Douri. Oh yeah, somewhere the Jordanian Intelligence group provided secret insights making the factless story unsupported by it's own linkages to reputable news organizations true.

Shameful reporting, would more certainly find second sources before spreading this compost.

Here's al-Douri leading an anti-ISIS group: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118356/izzat-ibrahim-al-douri-saddam-husseins-pal-key-stopping-isis

Here's al-Douri with his own anti-government group hating ISIS but aligned with them to bring down IRAQi government: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/20/saddam-s-former-deputy-the-red-skull-of-baghdad-still-at-large-in-iraq-and-allied-with-isis.html

And here's a pretty good summary, although not current: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/al-douri.htm

So, chances of "opinion piece" al-Douri ISIS leadership in Syria being true look slim. al-Douri leading anti Maliki forces in Iraq and alligned, short-term, with ISIS there more plausible. US training ---- not proved by anything in this "opinion" piece; the author lies, plain and simple. BUSTED.

Are journalists really this bad that mistergoogle can shoot them down so easy?

Aug '14

Let's play nice, let's share,feed the beast,so he is not hungry,while we sit on our hands,time goes by,people die,we sit on our hands,more die,the ISIS is a cancer,and more dirt bags join everyday. So the beast grows,and grows,and kills, and we sit on our hands,and talk about the innocent people, and how they suffer. Sounds like Iraq, after the first Iraq war,then they grew up and became even stronger,and fought us a second time.A snake is a snake,a tiger is a tiger,a lion is a lion,you can feed them, care for them,and they will still kill you,because thats what they do!If you don't stand up to the Bully on the play ground,he just gets worse! This is pretty basic,quit crossing the street, to avoid the Bully,yes I took my meds! oldred,you say thank God we have Obama in the white house! Did you take your meds ! Should be cheap through Obama care! LOL

Why would you read a website to understand a religion when you could easily read the Koran instead and make up your own opinion? I know it takes more brain cells but it's this whole free thought thing that seems to be needed right now.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

new map of the middle east outlining ISIS presence

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9681939.ece/ALTERNATES/w1024/web-iraq-graphic.jpg

Skippy Skippy
Aug '14

JR says there are 1.6 Billion Muslims in the world. And believes that each and every one belongs to ISIS. And they are no better than carpenter ants and his proposal is to kill them all. Does that include the muslim carpenter ants in North America (3.5 Million muslim carpenter ants)? Or the 1 Billion muslim carpenter ants in Asia Pac? How bout the 900 Million Muslim carpenter ants in South America and the Caribbean? Collateral damage? Your "solution" is reminiscent of the German " final solution".

Yankeefan2014 Yankeefan2014
Aug '14

Your right emaxxman people now cannot compare to the greatest generation.

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

"Why would you read a website to understand a religion when you could easily read the Koran instead and make up your own opinion? I know it takes more brain cells but it's this whole free thought thing that seems to be needed right now."

Because, apparently, as we keep being told, the Koran has nothing to do with what the various islamist extremist groups are doing. Fine. For me, it's not about religion- it's about having our life (as a country) threatened. I don't care if you're muslim, atheist, or scientologist. Threaten to make Americans "swim in their own blood" and we will kill you.

I'm not condemning all of Islam. Just as others shouldn't condemn all of Christianity based on a few abortion center bombings or the crusades (and the crusades were IN DEFENSE of Christians being attacked by Muslims anyway...)

Aug '14

This thread is really disturbing :(

yankeefan said

"JR says there are 1.6 Billion Muslims in the world. And believes that each and every one belongs to ISIS."

Please indicate where I said that. You can't, because I haven't. So the rest of your post falls flat on it's face.

Aug '14

I anyone here can come up with a workable plan to capture, detain, question, and establish whether each one of the 1.6 billion muslims on the planet (oh hell, let's just settle for the ones in the middle east for now) intend to do harm to American people, I'm all ears.

But doing -NOTHING- is not an answer.

So what are we to do? Continue on as we have.... drone strikes, missle strikes, boots on the ground.... trying to "weed out" the bad guys who REALLY ARE the bad guys? We've been doing that since Bush. How has that worked out?

Aug '14

If we are to "police the world"- if we are REQUESTED to "police the world" by other parts of the world, we should have total authority to accomplish the mission. Get the hell out of our way. Hunt down extremists, and if they don't die in battle, throw them in prison forever. That will help minimize collateral damage.

Oh, but wait- you bleeding hearts don't like that either. Gitmo and all that.

So agan- I ask- WHAT IS TO BE DONE? The one wrong answer is "nothing- let it all happen."

Aug '14

JR, you drinking already? Here's your statement, see above:

I don't like what happened in Tokyo, or Dresden, or Hiroshima, or -pick your battle-, any more than anyone else does. But what is the alternative? Attempt to capture every single 1.6 billion ISIS members who have sworn death upon all who do not follow their law, and try them in court? Come on now....

Your words. And your words again:

While I understand the point you are trying to make, when you have 1.6 billion carpenter ants who have sworn to destroy your home, you don't just go looking for the ones who are ACTUALLY destroying your home- it's can't be done. You kill them all.

How's your face feel?

Aug '14

yankee,

still waiting......

Nothing you have posted has me condemning all 1.6 billion muslims to death. The carpenter any analogy was of course used to demonstrate how impossible it would be to kill ONLY those ants destroying your property. It is likewise impossible to find and detain or kill ONLY (and ALL of) those muslims who have sworn death to America.

I did not say, and have never said "kill all the muslims." You need remedial reading comprehension.

Aug '14

I'm a christian, and it pisses me off when people say "all christians are bad, because of abortion clinic bombings" or "because of the crusades." It's hatred, pure and simple. Well, hatred and willful ignorance.

So what makes you think I would have no problem with the opposite? Right is right and wrong is wrong. Genocide is wrong. Period. I don't care if you're a christian, jew, muslim, black, hispanic, gay, transgender, or whatever other flag you choose to raise.

BUT- something DOES need to be done, other than sit and watch this expand until it's on our shores. I figure if thousands of mexicans have no problem getting in illegally, well-funded ISIS members certainly wouldn't have a problem. Then..... BOOM! More people die. More INNOCENT people, to use the word everyone seems to be using in this thread....

Aug '14

MB, I agree. I think a lot of Americans are disturbed by what has transpired. I know I am. It's really very scary.

Cindy Cindy
Aug '14

"BTW, the last time an abortion clinic was bombed was in 1998.... 16 years ago. 1 person died. Care to put that up against the persecution of all anti-muslims currently happening every single day around the world?"

Why would you compare abortion clinic bombings in America to anti-Muslim persecution "around the world"? When was the last case of persecution of non-Muslims by Muslims in the U.S.? I think that you will find many more cases of persecution of Muslims by non-Muslims in recent years in the USA.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

ia,

I'm not comparing them..... that's my point. You CAN'T compare them. oldred mentioned abortion clinic bombings by Christians, presumably as some sort of "the christians are evil too" comparison or something....

Aug '14

Well said JR, on all your posts.

Aug '14

We are still sitting on our Liberal hands,doing nothing,now we are talking about abortion clinics , An American was murdered on video,in a another country,this is an act of WAR! Or does Obama have his pen out again? Please quit trying to put lipstick on a pig,Bomb the living hell out of them.We are sounding more like the government everyday.There is only one thing they understand,power, and force,then they will talk, they are 80,000 strong right now.And Obama wants to cut the man power of the military?Glad you put him in office?

But you ARE saying that we need to indiscriminantly kill Muslims in order to kill ISIS terrorists. How is that any different from indiscriminantly killing Christians in this country to eliminate right-wing terrorist organizations that are exclusively and rabidly Christian?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

No I'm not saying that. Read my recent posts. I'm saying we have to do SOMETHING instead of nothing. I have never, and will never, call for genocide.

IDK what "something" is, but if the usual crowd doesn't want more Bush-Obama style war, that leaves what? Kindly asking them to stop killing people? Kindly explaining to them innocent Americans aren't to blame for their anger?

We need to grow up here. REGARDLESS of how we got here, when someone has threatened to spill your blood, you take pre-emptive measures to ensure that does not happen.

Aug '14

My take is we start from bombing ISIS revenue production, the oil fields. In Iraq either help the ground forces take em via bombing or level em. In Syria, probably level em. Think we need to take any Russian deal over Syria off the table if it conflicts with eradicating ISIS.

Then assist the local ground forces whenever they win against ISIS to capture documentation, help decipher for money stores, and go after them.

And do whatever we can to help the locals kill ISIS all before they kill us because they won't stop until we erase them.

Meanwhile continue to work with partners like Germany, France, UK to get them to help either supply or otherwise augment the local forces.

None of this has to do with wiping out Muslims, just need to wipe out ISIS.

Aug '14

JeffersonRepub,kindly ask who, what,you must be related to Mr. Rogers!

Well JR North Korea threatens the US at least once a week. Do you think we should take pre-emptive measures against them.

I know with your vast military background that you have come up with a plan to take on the world's Muslims and North Korea just a word of advice don't forget North Korea has nuclear weapons. Oh thank God Obama is in the White House if not we would be fighting 5 or 6 different wars at the same time. The military would be so stretched out so thin that they would be calling me back into military service

oldred
Aug '14

The most prudent course of action, militarily speaking, might be to do nothing and allow ISIS to form their governments unmolested in Syria and Iraq while maintaining surveillance through satellite imagery and signals intelligence. Once they've become established and coalesced into an actual political entity, they will make much easier targets for death from above.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

JR- this is your statement:

"While I understand the point you are trying to make, when you have 1.6 billion carpenter ants who have sworn to destroy your home, you don't just go looking for the ones who are ACTUALLY destroying your home- it's can't be done. You kill them all."

Sounds to me like you think 1.6 Billion Muslims are all in ISIS, and the only way to stop them is "you kill them all".

Pretty straightforward to me. Backtrack all you want, but you said it.

Aug '14

" The military would be so stretched out so thin that they would be calling me back into military service"

God forbid, you can't even remember what you did the first time, if in fact you were even there.
Remember I asked you several times? Never an answer. Maybe you were a REMF?

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

Ignatz - We all know he's a bottom of the bottom 50 percenter but, you have posed the thought I've had about oldred as well. He's always quick to talk the talk, but the fact is, 99.9% of us who were in-country never ever talk about it, period. And, I think you know that. A pogue or remf may indeed be the case here.

Extownie
Aug '14

He posted company and unit, etc. on here within the last six weeks or so, IIRC. I remember thinking, "is that what Ignatz has been waiting for all this time?"... but I can't seem to find it through the forum search feature.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

oldred,

N. Korea isn't beheading American citizens, or massacring Christians en masse, last time I checked.

Aug '14

I don't think NKorea threatens us once a week and their last threat was a "if you bomb me, I'll bomb you." That's a tad different than the ISIS "we're on a jaunty jihad to behead you all. We live only to kill you all."

Iman, they're amassing at least $1M per day; I think we need to take out the revenue production now. Like I said, I would rather face 1M men with a dollar than one man with $1M.

Aug '14

JR and his supporters~
You do realize that there is at least one Muslim poster on this forum that reads this almost on a daily basis and has been a frequent contributer for a few years now? You do realize that some of what you have posted here is borderline terroristic threats among other things? Should I be afraid? There's more than a few instances on here where I have identified myself as "a carpenter ant"

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Aug '14

islamic terrorists use kidnapping and threat of murder as a source of funding - over 125 million has been paid to retrieve hostages taken - US and England refuse to pay - those countries that do pay include France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria - hostages are taken, money paid and terror funded further... Fully 1/3 of hostages taken and ransoms given have been from France - as it is known that they will pay

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '14

Honestly this thread has reinforced my thought that life would be so much better everywhere if there was no religion at all. Sigh.....

Signed the resident Atheist.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Come on calico without religion how would we know who we are suppose to hate?

Darwin Darwin
Aug '14

All humans worship something. Always have since there Creation. There has always been leaders and followers. Thats why MY Bible says wars will be with you always.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

"You do realize that some of what you have posted here is borderline terroristic threats among other things?"

Apparently we have a COMEDIAN in our ranks as well..... funny stuff....

Aug '14

So true Old Gent. Look at how some view politics - the Presidential position in particular. The things that so many seem to ascribe to one person whose job is to oversee one branch of government is quite frightening. The President is a person, one solitary person, yet so much is expected of the position without any real comprehension of what is being asked. I've thought for a while that American politics is the newest religion, supplanting the old ones, with the President being the preacher and promising the world to the flock.

justintime justintime
Aug '14

"I've thought for a while that American politics is the newest religion, supplanting the old ones, with the President being the preacher and promising the world to the flock."

I've never thought about it that way, but I can totally see that. The difference is, "the world" that is being promised is quite different on each side of the isle: one side seems to promise cradle-to-grave care and safety, and "the collective" being more important, while the other side seems to promise more individual liberty (smaller govt) and the opportunity to "be all you can be" (capitalism)..... they're both full of crap (lying), of course. And I'm glad to see people from each side waking up and realizing it..... as contentious as we are here on the forum in our debates.

But it is a very good point... people looking at govt, regardless of party, as some kind of "savior" is the REALLY BIG PROBLEM, and probably why the govt has been allowed to get as powerful as it is. From the beginning, the American govt was intended to only have JUST enough power to function.... even after going from the Articles of Confederation to the US Constitution.....boy have times changed.....

Aug '14

And, on the topic of this ISIS/Islamic extremist thing....

Most of you know that I am a Christian. But my faith has nothing to do with these issues- seriously. For me, it's all about self-defense. If I were an atheist, I would feel exactly the same way when someone tells me they are going to make Americans "swim in their own blood". For me, it's not a holy war of Christianity vs Islam, it's simply a war of evil (the attackers/threateners) against good (not saying "we" are squeaky clean).... but in the end, it comes down to kill or be killed.

The fact that the islam religion is where all these people come from is nothing more than a profiling tool for me. (and, let me re-iterate since many of you don't seem to get it: I do not think ALL muslims are evil. I think EVIL muslims are evil. And that would go for any religion or secularist.) I don't care WHY they want to kill us, I care only THAT they want to kill us.

Aug '14

Agree 100% Calico

Aug '14

JR, what kind of Christian says "While I understand the point you are trying to make, when you have 1.6 billion carpenter ants who have sworn to destroy your home, you don't just go looking for the ones who are ACTUALLY destroying your home- it's can't be done. You kill them all." ?

Aug '14

. even after going from the Articles of Confederation to the US Constitution.....boy have times changed.....

I my view, the change came with the Warren Court. They decided the Constitution is a living document, As a result, the people lost all there control of Government. The lawyers came out of the wood work. They took over Government and made there own laws to suit there goals. A few years later I joined the NRA. They are the last thing standing to protect the Constitution. The people today look to Government to survive and make choices for them... Who would have imagined it would come to this in my life time. Certainly not the so called Greatest Generation.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

We are still sitting on our hands,today could be the turning point,lets see what the Muslims do today,I think it was lunch at the White House?

Press Trust of India

Washington, 22 August: Muslim groups and leaders from across the world, including those from the USA, have strongly condemned the barbarism unleashed by the Islamic State, also known as Islamic State of Iraq and Syria or ISIS, describing the extremist outfit's behaviour as “un-Islamic”.

“We strongly condemn this gruesome and barbaric killing as a violation of Islamic beliefs and of universally-accepted international norms mandating the protection of prisoners and journalists during conflicts,” said the Council on American- Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation's largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization.

CAIR's remarks came days after the ISIS released a video showing one of its members beheading American journalist James Foley, who was abducted in Syria in November 2012.

“The Geneva Conventions, the Quran ~ Islam's revealed text ~ and the traditions (hadith) of the Prophet Muhammad all require that prisoners not be harmed in any way. There can be no excuse or justification for such criminal and bloodthirsty actions,” CAIR said.

Aug '14

Keep pounding sand, yankee. I have made my point quite clearly. More than once. Your refusal to see it only shows yours blind bias.

Aug '14

PMSNK: You are right and we need to lay into these idiots and stop the payments. Sure, it's cruel, but "the needs of the many......" Every dollar we give these thugs turns is invested in the death of as many humans as a dollar of death can buy. They don't save people by paying off, they just kill more.

ISIS has gotten over $20M in ransom, lots from France. We need to stop this cash flow ASAP.

They sell oil through Turkey and other "friends" by the barrel or by the tank trunk reaping incredible profits. Time to blow the fields.

They gain Western recruits via internet video feeds, they are not stupid.

Time to cut off all funding, all communications, and begin to strangle the support chain for these inhuman monsters.

Aug '14

"Time to cut off all funding, all communications, and begin to strangle the support chain for these inhuman monsters."

That's a start for sure. But in the end, I don't think that alone will get the job done, unfortunately. I can't see anything less than military action, in the end. Which basically means more of what we saw in Afghanistan. And I know all of us have mixed feelings on that.

Aug '14

they will bring it over here, they have made the commitment to do so, ("see you in NYC", "see you in Wash. DC") , they mean what they say, make no mistake about it, when someone promises to bring the fight to you, you had better expect them to do so.

so we can fight them over here, or we can fight them over there, which is the better choice?

time for the big US banks to stop all bank orders from France that are used to pay the ransoms. france is running scared. just look at how their country is being changed by these radical islamists. the french government is scared, (no surprise there)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '14

http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/08/report-on-obamas-law-breaking-prisoner-swap-gives-boehner-schadenfreude/378996/

The interesting part of the comment by Boehner.

At a time when we are grappling with the evil terror of the self-proclaimed ‘Islamic State’ in Syrian and Iraq – a group whose leader was once an American detainee, before being released – it is difficult to imagine a more potentially serious lapse in judgment by the Obama administration.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

I might sound insensitive here, but truly do not mean to be. If someone is ready to behead you, why sit there on your knees and let them? What's the worst that could happen if you stood up and resisted? You get shot?? I'd rather be shot to death. Especially knowing the video was going to get out to my loved ones.

Bananas
Aug '14

"That's a start for sure. But in the end, I don't think that alone will get the job done, unfortunately. I can't see anything less than military action, in the end. Which basically means more of what we saw in Afghanistan. And I know all of us have mixed feelings on that."

I agree, but hope we can stick with Obama's approach of no or limited boots on the ground. If the Arab nations don't want to clean their own sandbox, it just won't get clean. Don't mind trainers and advisors but keep our boys away from the ground support. Or perhaps a few strategic strikes with agreement (but not plan sharing) if in host country, but leave 99.9% of it to the locals.

I mean ISIS just doesn't target us, they target any non-radical Muslim nation as well and they know how to turn oil into revenue. Should give any Arab nation pause to consider the cause.

And Old Gent: "Pirro said that Obama released the current head of ISIS from government custody in 2009. The Defense Department said that the man now known as Baghdadi was released in 2004. The evidence that Baghdadi was still in custody in 2009 appears to be the recollection of an Army colonel who said Baghdadi’s "face is very familiar."

Even if the colonel is right, Baghdadi was not set free; he was handed over to the Iraqis who released him some time later. But more important, the legal contract between the United States and Iraq that guaranteed that the United States would give up custody of virtually every detainee was signed during the Bush administration. It would have required an extraordinary effort to have held on to Baghdadi and there is no evidence that he was on anyone’s radar screen, assuming that he was in custody at all in 2009.

The U.S.-Iraq agreement drove the release of thousands of detainees in 2009, but Obama had nothing to do with that.

We rate the claim False."

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/jun/19/jeanine-pirro/foxs-pirro-obama-set-isis-leader-free-2009/

Aug '14

ISIS went from "nowhere" to "the world will end at their hands".

Interesting how obvious intentional manipulation is in our society today. I'm left wondering on a regular basis what's reality and what's not.

justintime justintime
Aug '14

I will give you that Obama had nothing to do with it, but some one let him loose. I will wait to see who corrects Boehner. It sure wont be any of the RINO's. I am just listening to what our ELECTED leaders report. I like your idea of cutting off the money supply by all means necessary. Nothing gets done anywhere with out money. Our so called friends wont like it, but who cares when it comes to living or dieing. When people starve, they fight back. It's a cruel world out there. Peace can only be found in my world through the King Of Peace

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

" I'm left wondering on a regular basis what's reality and what's not."

You could ask the thousands of murdered Christians, or perhaps the beheaded journalist....

ISIS isn't a "bedtime story" made up to "Scare the kids", if that's why you're implying. And besides- what they are called, or call themselves, doesn't matter. It's all radical islam. Taliban, muslim brotherhood, ISIS- all the same. The world will swim in it's own blood until everyone left alive swears allegiance to Allah. The name may change, but the story, and the violence, never do.

Aug '14

Its so nice to see all the 'lifers can agree on blowing ISIS off the face of this green spinning sphere.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '14

ianimal,

"He posted company and unit, etc. on here within the last six weeks or so, IIRC. I remember thinking, "is that what Ignatz has been waiting for all this time?"... but I can't seem to find it through the forum search feature."

Did you find it yet?

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

Obama said ISIS is the JV squad. Obama called the family and said he was sorry for their loss. He addressed the nation. Then hit the links. Laughing and fist pumping his friends. This guy does not want to be president anymore. He wants to be a playboy.

We have to continue the air strikes in Iraq. We need to take controll of the oil feids that ISIS has. Arm the Kurds. Help the Kurds. They are fighters. We need to do airstrikes in Syria. Send ISIS running and let some army to mow them down.

ISIS is not the boyscouts. They kill women, children and cut people's heads off.

We need to stop them. We have to do it now.

Just my opinion.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Aug '14

JR, if you don't think there's a group of government officials that is overestimating the impact of ISIS then you haven't been paying attention. How many times do we have to get hit with WMD syndrome before we get it?

Don't mistake my comments to mean that ISIS is harmless - far from it. It's just that six months ago most of us would have been "what is IS IS?". The speed at which ISIS has become a "top tier" enemy in public discussion is really scary.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%22isis+iraq%22

justintime justintime
Aug '14

@Bananas, I think it might be called dignity.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

Is ISIS to be considered a WMD? Just a thought...

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '14

Let's send in Al Sharpton,he seems to get the attention of many! Maybe he could set up a march,talk to Obama about bombing the pukes!Now there is a person with cranial rectal inversion, who may become a leader over there, we better think this over.

I feel so much better. (sic) The UN is jumping in to the fray.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/luay-al-khatteeb/the-un-strikes-back-at-is_b_5702240.html

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

There still marching over the young man that was shot,well it is terrible,why isn't someone marching over our captives! They are Americans,instead they release the news of one of our boys being released,nice deflection,let's get all our Americans back,or blow there rear ends up!Obama does everything but solve problems,maybe he could provide a golf outing for the ISIS.

http://www.news.com.au/world/london-hiphop-artist-abdelmajed-abdel-bary-key-suspect-in-hunt-for-killer-of-american-journalist-james-foley/story-fndir2ev-1227034541900

THE beheading of American journalist, James Foley, at the hands of ISIS militants shocked the world but forensic experts have revealed the video was probably staged, with the murder happening off camera.

LV Mom
Aug '14

LV MOM, murder is murder,he is dead,killed by ISIS,and Obama is still thinking of air strikes,what if it was someone in his family? Let's just sit on our hands,and become Liberals.Let them all hide before we do something,you know it's sad, I'm the only one flying the flag on my street.Maybe we could all fly are flags till our men come home!We need some kind of unity ,Al Sharpton wants to hang a cop, who isn't guilty yet, goes on the news for justice, has marches,why won't he get together for a march for our prisoners,sorry he is friends with Obama,that's why! He was told to create the news,I guess we all know that !

Uh lObO, about 100 airstrikes have been launched since you fell asleep at the wheel. "Hello, McFly, anybody in there?"

Aug '14

mistergoogle,I see your still on the porch,those air strikes did a lot ? Are you sure there was 100,where do you come up with this stuff?You need to get out more!Would you like the hours for the senior center?Better let you go, I know it's nap time !

"To date, U.S. forces have conducted a total of 96 airstrikes across Iraq. Of those, 62 have been around the Mosul Dam." FOX NEWS

As to the damage inflicted, of course there are not details as of yet, no duh.

Saved Mosul Dam, saved thousands of Yazidis, helped the Kurds fight.

try reading.

Next on to Syria, all we have to do is ask politely........

Aug '14

Good to know mistergoogle now ACCEPTS FOX NEWS as a LEGITIMATE source of information.

Aug '14

nah, it's just some of you won't believe facts until they are reported on Fox.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

...or is it that some of YOU won't believe facts BECAUSE they are reported on Fox.... hmm...?

Checkmate

Aug '14

checkmate? i'm on Fox almost daily.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

Lobo, I only posted that as an FYI. It could be why he didn't struggle as someone questioned earlier in this thread.

darwin, many news outlets ignore the news that FOX actually reports, imo.

LV Mom
Aug '14

That was indeed one of the points LV Mom. Also something about two knives versus just the Brit. And supposedly the Brit has been identified. I think they used his UK welfare mailing address to find him.

And I just posted FOX because that's where the BIG number came up. Since the tally is changing on a moment by moment basis, it's last guy in with the biggest number. I think another report had it at 98, but what's a couple of bunker busters between Bedouins.

The new news is that Syria warned that US bombing in their country without permission is an act of aggression. Bombs, aggression, no duh. But isn't that just another day over there? Todays Weather --- Syria --- Sunny, Hot, with a 40% chance of bombing..... Then they said, hey man, we'll cooperate with any international effort fighting militants. All we have to do is coordinate with Damascus. Damascus, coordinate --- is that an oxymoron for a dysfunctional state to coordinate?

Then they asked if we could help fight the militants that are trying to take down the Syrian government. You know, the one's we are supporting.......

And yet not a peep of unsettledness after our boys went in to Syria for the failed hostage rescue attempt. Guess silent but deadly equals coordination.....

Meanwhile, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey dumpster says: he does not believe ISIS is plotting attacks in the US or Europe. Well, isn't that special. Everyone else says an ISIS terrorist is just a plane ticket away from New York.....

Apparently after talking to Ted Poe, the dumpster called the Mexican Cartels and they told him, "nah, we been talking with ISIS about selling some pot to Bagdadian Christians, but crossing the border to blow you up, nah, we know nothing, nothing, nothing...."

I think we are all OK now. The situation is well in hand.

mistergooogle mistergooogle
Aug '14

Heard another american journalist beheaded. Thats 2. When are we going to take out ISIS?

Sep '14

The words I am a AMERICAN no longer protects you over seas as it once did and if you go over seas you are putting your self at risk. in some of these places 9 year olds walk the streets with AK 47s and yet we will not unleash the dogs of war and put the world on notice that we will get if not to day may be to night in your sleep

Sep '14

botheredbyuu2
Caged Animal
I'm sure you two are going to be the first to volunteer it's easy to unleash the dogs of war as long as someone else is doing the fighting and dying

oldred
Sep '14

Mr. President, do something,anything,lead, follow, or get out of the way !

LoBo
what exactly do you want him to do he has already given the military permission to strike targets whenever they see them. So obviously he's doing something so your statement of him doing nothing is wrong

Do you want him to declare war and invade put Americans back on the ground to be killed that's exactly what these people want people like you are so quick to criticize but never have any answers yourself

oldred
Sep '14

"many news outlets ignore the news that FOX actually reports, imo."

that's because it's propaganda, not news

Sep '14

oldred,

Since you are so quick to criticize everyone else's "lack of an answer" for the issue, I would LOVE TO HEAR YOURS.

Lemme guess... you don't have one, right? Or perhaps you want to wait until ISIS strikes on the American mainland? Please, o wise veteran sage, tell us what YOU would do with this quickly escalating situation....

Sep '14

FOX cut off Obama's speech about ISIS in the middle of it. No wonder most of you don't think he's doing anything.

Sep '14

We don't need to watch Fox news to know he hasn't been doing anything. Or I should say anything that's going to make a difference. God help us.

BTW, did y'all see where ISIS stole 11 commercial airliners from a Libyan airport a couple days ago? Fun stuff....

Sep '14

"We don't need to watch Fox news to know he hasn't been doing anything."

Yes, that's what the rest of the right wing echo chamber is for.

Sep '14

Yes, that's me, good old dumb me. Can't think for myself and just follow the right wing echo chamber. Just because we disagree I'm the big dope who can't form an opinion for myself. I saw that ISIS stole those commercial airlines. And guess what? I heard it on several different local and cable news channels. Bye for now. Off to the right wing echo chamber. God help us!

ISIS is also in Mexico and since the borders are not secure you know they are in the US

oldred-Im talking airstrikes, not troops on the ground. If either journalist beheaded was your family member or friend, you would sing a different tune.

Sep '14

Old red please look up the what the dogs of war and what unleashing them means plus my statements you travel over seas at your oun risk

Sep '14

Osama Bin Laden: dead
Ringleader of Benghzi: captured
US Journalist Theo Curtis: Released from Syria
Beheader of James Foley: Identified

Maybe Obama should just wear a flight suit and declare Mission Accomplished on an aircraft carrier to make everybody happy.

Sep '14

"The words I am a AMERICAN no longer protects you over seas as it once did and if you go over seas you are putting your self at risk." As a world traveler starting in the 80's, we were told put a Canadian flag sticker on your suitcases...... It may be worse now, but we have had an X on our back for some time. Another thing that has changes was with bettering economies (some time ago), many of the European nations have hired Middle East expats to do their dirty work like we hire folks from South of the border to do ours so there are large communities in country.

Not ISIS stole the planes, group known to work with ISIS upon occasion. Still bad.

350 more soldiers on way to IRAQ for protection of embassy and airport --- sounding like boots on the ground to me, we probably would pull the embassy if it weren't so damned big and expensive (ty George); we are now up to 120 airstrikes since August. Plus, 16 armed ISIS vehicles destroyed a day ago by Mosul dam, Britain getting ready for boots and bombs to IRAQ, Amiril -- 100 miles north of Bagdad -- freed from ISIS control with US airstrike help,

Look, we got video, maybe: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1100194/Iraqs-Air-Force-releases-video-airstrikes-ISIL.html

Fact is we are proceeding, perhaps not fast enough for some, certainly not for me. I would like to see us take out any revenue-producing ISIS entities ASAP in Syria and Iraq to strangle the money flow coming into ISIS. Without money, their ability to extend the war becomes harder.

But we are not exactly doing nothing.

Sep '14

That"s true we could stop revenue producing ISIS entities,but they still have about half a Billion dollars,they captured from Iraq when they threw down there weapons and ran ! They also have of weapons left behind by the Iraq cowards who ran.They are getting stronger everyday,we keep sending drones, pinpoint targets for bombing,we need a massive bombing raid, this is war,nobody is stating that,but when you kill Americans it's a declaration of WAR!Mr. President check your shorts !

Irregardless of where it comes from.it's worth food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIFXYU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

lol, my boss will say, it's all Obama's fault and that he should send the military there and wipe them all out. Easier said than done. Hell, if he was in the army, he'd be the first one to duck, dodge, and avoid being sent over there. A lot people are bigger with words than actions these days.
The thing is, these guys are so brainwashed with their beliefs, there is nothing you can do to intimate them. They are also so hard to deal with when it comes to fighting them, that it's an endless battle. You say nuke them? Don't they have all these underground caves and tunnels? You think they will all be above ground waiting for a nuke to drop on their head? The majority will poke their heads back up after the dust settles and be ready for combat again.
You can't fight an enemy that has no fear or intimidation and that is what ISIS is all about. They do not care about dying, nor do they care that they are fighting practically primitively with the technology they have compared to us and other nations. They will fight until the end with whatever they get their hands on.
I think the worst thing ISIS is going to do as I read is that they are getting into other President's business and are going to piss off too many nations at one time. They are calling out Putin now. That dude sounds nuts half the time but in a more restrained manner than lets say Kim Jong-un (lol). Once ISIS has all the big powers against them, they'll seriously find themselves in trouble quickly.
But I don't generally follow politics so what do I know.

MikeB MikeB
Sep '14

Fact is we are proceeding, perhaps not fast enough for some, certainly not for me. I would like to see us take out any revenue-producing ISIS entities ASAP in Syria and Iraq to strangle the money flow coming into ISIS. Without money, their ability to extend the war becomes harder. MisterGoogle

On this, we agree.

LV Mom
Sep '14

Benghazi ringleader captured? Big deal. Only half of the news outlets interviewed this guy long before the great commander in chief decided it was a politically right time to do so .And wow we identified the terrorist who beheaded James Foley. I'm sure his family rest so much easier now. I wonder where the 5 are he released from Gitmo? Wasn't it one of them who said I'll see you in NY?

Yawn,

"As TheBlaze TV’s For the Record reported, Khattala had spoken out in media interviews in which he acknowledged being in the area the night of the attacks that claimed the lives of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, but denied direct involvement" the blaze.

So Simo, we are to arrest anyone who was in the area that night? How politically correct of you.

Sep '14

No we couldn't arrest anyone in the area that night. We had no one there to help them. Maybe we should have taken it more seriously when they were asking for more security. I'm past this being PC. Where has it gotten us?

Well JeffersonRepub
I would do exactly what the president is doing allowing the military to strike them with planes and drones every time they pop their head up.

Eventually they will think twice before coming out of their holes and the president is also trying to get other countries to help stop them. It's not easy to clean up the mess the former president left Bush is the one that destabilized the region so his friends could have easy access to oil. And people like you are quick to criticize that president Obama is not cleaning it up fast enough. I thought Bush did the right thing by going into Afghanistan but stayed way too long remember Russia was there for 20 years and couldn't win and they are right next to the country. And all these politicians who keep saying along with Fox news that ISIS is already in the United States just want to scare people as Nathan Bedford Forrest once said keep up the scare it makes people do things they normally wouldn't do the government wants its citizens to be afraid because they are much more willing to give up freedoms for security

oldred
Sep '14

Without a doubt there were ample unheeded warnings not addressed. Nor did those giving the warnings adequately amplify the risk. Once attacked, our forces were not in place or nearby notably because the threat was not being addressed. Post the attack the external communication was flawed. That's what the Senate report said.

Improvements better be in place.

From MSNBC 8/4 (can't find the FOX link......) "The House Intelligence Committee, led by Republicans, has concluded that there was no deliberate wrongdoing by the Obama administration in the 2012 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, said Rep. Mike Thompson of St. Helena, the second-ranking Democrat on the committee." That's what the Republicans said.

Simo's takeaway: and now for something completely different.

as far as I can tell, we have the ringleader in custody and other culprits will be as well in the future. Just because he testified to the media that he was there and he didn't do it, only to Simo is that a reason for arrest. Hindsight is ez Simo. Too bad you didn't have it when you blamed Obama for it.

Sep '14

simo and JR-

About those allegedly missing airliners:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/missingplanes.asp

Spreading false rumors is what happens when you only look to the echo chamber for your sources.

Sep '14

Oldred, "Russia was there for 20 years and couldn't win and they are right next to the country." The French were there before that for a short while.
Thats exactly why I was against going in to Afghanistan. They were unconventional warriors. Bush one went into Iraq for nation building and that stirred up the hornets.. nest. Bush 2 went for OIL plain and simple. His friends, the Saudis are watched the show.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

In order to bomb in Syria then need to have the Assad government not shoot down the planes/drones. Assad is a strong ally or Russia and armed by Putin so they have the means to do it. Putin is under current pressure from European allies in reference to Ukraine. Assad's approval requires American reduced support of his opponents. Bombing without his approval risks failure as well as undermines the European allies. Doing neither lets ISIS do what it wants.

Three bad alternatives. That's why there isn't as much being done as they would like. This is why the media keeps talking about how the two diplomatic crisis are related - they have Putin in common.

Otherwise "flight suit on an aircraft carrier" would be a damn clever funny joke if it weren't reality. Maybe we should focus on stolen jets if we want humor.

That's funny: I sourced it to USA Today, FOX News, Washington Time\s, The Blaze, Breitbart, ...... There's a certain amount of real journalism there.......

Are we going crazy out there?

Sep '14

It maybe without wrongdoing doing but the Administration repeatedly lied about the attack. It blamed it on the video and continued to do so for several weeks.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '14

If somebody "repeatedly lies" then it's a wrongdoing.

Saying someone "repeatedly lied" without providing evidence is a mere mistake, unless of course, you know there's no evidence.

Sep '14

WAR Pigs.....been going on my whole life.....pretty soon the hand of God will Strike the hour. O Lord yea.

fitter fitter
Sep '14

Hey Leroy, provide the facts that the attacks on the Embassy were the result of the video.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '14

Bush 1 was smart he knew not to take out Iraq as it would destabilize the region Bush 2 was just a bumbling idiot. And as for going into other countries to get ISIS we have plenty of radar invisible hardware they wouldn't know it until it was over

oldred
Sep '14

I have a very simple question. Expect a very simple answer. Is it ISIS or ISIL. Everyone pronounces it I-SIS. The pres clearly pronounces it I-SIL. Is there a difference between the two?

auntiel auntiel
Sep '14

kb-

You made the claim. You back it up.

Sep '14

auntiel

It's both actually, although the ISIL name seems to be being used more, possibly to avoid any confusion with the Goddess ISIS or the many other associations it has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis_%28disambiguation%29

ISIL refers mainly only to that group and has few other associations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISIL

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Here you go Leroy.

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/29/newly-released-benghazi-documents-reinforce-white-house-push-that-video-was-to-blame/

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '14

"Mr. Abu Khattala told other Libyans in private conversations during the night of the attack that he was moved to attack the diplomatic mission to take revenge for an insult to Islam in an American-made online video."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/world/middleeast/apprehension-of-ahmed-abu-khattala-may-begin-to-answer-questions-on-assault.html?hp&_r=1

Sep '14

I believe everything Khattala says. What would be his need to lie?

oldred-

So you would just continue with the drone strikes, even tho they apparently haven't been working, since ISIS is rearing it's ugly head? I agree continue with the strikes, but it seems to be not enough....

LeRoy-

yeah, you gotta' watch those sources, don't you?

http://accuracyinpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/05/snopes-got-snoped.html

Sep '14

simo-

What would be the right wing echo chamber's need to lie?

JR-

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/snopescom/

Sep '14

Leroy-

So how many times do we need to go back and forth casting doubt on internet "news" sources until you are willing to realize none of them are 100% accurate?

You're wrong. No you're wrong. No you're wrong. No you're wrong.

Lemme guess, YOUR sources are "less wrong" than mine, right? If this wasn't so pathetic, it would be funny.

Sep '14

Another source:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2741428/Officials-warn-ELEVEN-missing-airplanes-Libya-used-carry-terrorist-attack-9-11-anniversary.html

Also, Snopes says the story is "mostly false", using the "evidence" that ---"several of the planes claimed in rumors as "missing" or "stolen" have actually been accounted for"---

So.... the ones that HAVEN'T been accounted for.... hmm..... wonder how much damage one of those would do, loaded with explosives, or flown into a football stadium, or....or...or.... "mostly false" doesn't mean much when even ONE of the "weapons" is still (possibly) pointed at you, huh?

"mostly false" = "partially true". Like a gun with one bullet in it. Mind if I spin the chamber, point it at you, and pull the trigger? I thought you might.

Sep '14

If you don't believe that some "media sources" are "less wrong" than others, you are hopelessly lost.

gadfly gadfly
Sep '14

Daily Mail is a supermarket tabloid in the UK.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-6484-the-daily-mail/

Maybe you're right, but you would be right "despite denials from all sides — the airlines who are not missing any planes, the Libyan transport ministry, and the anti-government forces in control of the airport".

JR, are you sorry for spreading lies about that Bud Gregg campaign sign?

Sep '14

Leroy, do you seriously want us to believe Mr. Abu Khattala who is all over the map with his statements. Time for you to go pour yourself a large glass of Kool Aid.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '14

Mr. Abu Khattala didn't talk to the New York Times. "Other Libyans" are the source of that report.

Sep '14

"If you don't believe that some "media sources" are "less wrong" than others, you are hopelessly lost."

Gadlfly, as usual, always missing the point.

Sep '14

LeRoy-

yes, because of course the government would never lie to it's people, or control WHICH information is allowed to be known.... unless Bush is president, of course.

If Bush (or any republican) is president, they lie to the people, fabricate stories of terrorism to get involved in a war because everyone knows republicans are war mongers, they blew up the world trade centers, and used their giant weather machine to create Hurricane Katrina to kill all the blacks in New Orleans.

Sep '14

Poor little JR......so put upon.

Just because you backed a guy who saw WMDs in his sleep and sent 4,000 guys to heaven to not get them, don't put it off on anyone but ALL OF US who get sucked in hook, line and sinker to the fear.

57 planes hijacked, ISIS coming through Mexico by the thousands, 5,000 Americans in ISIS all of who look like Mr. Roberts, ISIS has the nuke, ISIS targeting the Pope, ISIS teaching kids to behead instead of behave, etc. etc. etc.

But don't worry, we have VIDEO attack now: http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/world/state-department-anti-isis-video/

Point is we have been suckered into war from the beginning from either side. LBJ entered Vietnam over an attack (may or may not have happened) best described at "a fly attacking the fly swatter." Bush I on false reports of babies being killed in incubators and he was CIA, shoulda known how to spell intelligence information..... Least he was wise enough to avoid heavy footprints in the sand. All the Dems voted for Iraq save one, and he was probably the wrong one based on the evidence at hand.

So here we go again, and I think we have to. But be careful, don't get suckered into something we don't want to finish. I don't want to rebuild Syria, Iraq or any other place where they don't want us to. So far while I might hate his lack of ugly stick sound bytes and indecision, and Benghazi was a tragedy that should have been avoided, I applaud Obama's NOT getting too many boys killed while killing a whole lot more of the bad guys.

Sorry to drone on, bin laden down with too much coffee, al kinda stop now (man, am I clever sometimes).

Sep '14

ISIS threatens to 'bring the war' to San Francisco :

ISIS declares war on Twitter: Terror group warns employees they will be assassinated for closing down Islamist propaganda accounts

An ISIS-affiliated group has threatened to assassinate Twitter employees that close down their accounts.

Users linked to the extremists tweeted a series of messages on Sunday urging 'lone wolves' in the US and Europe to make the firm their target.

A specific warning was directed at staff at the Silicon Valley headquarters, warning they would 'bring the war' to San Francisco.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2749247/ISIS-declares-war-Twitter-Terror-group-warns-employees-assassinated-closing-Islamist-propaganda-accounts.html#ixzz3Cpl8MSrj

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

If ISIS promises to destroy Twitter, I might actually consider getting on board...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

A specific warning by a Jerusalem extremist group who pledged allegiance to the ISIS flag in February calls on sleeper cells to attack twitter employees for turning off their twitter accounts: "“#The_Concept_of_Lone_Wolf_Attacks The time has arrived to respond to Twitter’s management by directly attacking their employees and physically assassinating them!! Those who will carry this out are the sleepers cells of death.” and a number of more like that.

QUESTION: if you had a sleeper cell in the US, is killing a few twitterites the best use of your time?

But for real terrorism news, try my site of choice: http://www.terrorismanalysts.com/pt/index.php/pot/article/view/jongman-internet-websites/html

I suggest a subscription to Jane's for terrorism mapping. (I think our sites are better than theirs are......)

Sep '14

Here's a worthwhile post on the matter, from my point of view.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/09/beheading_jokes_a_new_low_for_new_age_journalism_mulshine.html

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '14

Great Article. Andy. These reporters give you the unvarnished truth before it hits the news room cut . They are getting captured because the enemy dose not want the truth to get out. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job without a weapon and others armed around me in. The military leaders have that support. Don't forget the camera man that gets no mention. .

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

The Jihadists are causing problems in Australia. The police departments in major cities in the United States have been training for more terrorist incidents in the their area of jurisdiction. Enjoy the link. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29249462

from
Sep '14

It's showtime in Syria!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/us-attacks-islamic-state-in-syria-with-five-middle-east-partners/2014/09/23/b78ad7e8-c8f2-4aa8-aaa7-ec92572f6716_story.html

Sep '14

Only took a couple of years but I applaud the start. Don't stop until EVERY one of them is eliminated.

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

I just heard the wife of a man being held hostage received an tape of him begging for his life. I pray for that family.

Uh, the wife of Brit hostage since 2012 Alan Henning made a tape begging for his life as ISIS says he's next. Cantile, another Brit hostage video released today has him describing the US ISIS attack as the worst mistake since Vietnam.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/isis-releases-new-hostage-video-american-strikes-begin-n209321

Sep '14

man he got it right http://youtu.be/C7axlcY3PU0

oldred
Sep '14

Latest headline from firstlook.org

Syria Becomes the 7th Predominantly Muslim Country Bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/23/nobel-peace-prize-fact-day-syria-7th-country-bombed-obama/

He's got a few more years. Can he make it eight nations before 2016? (actually, that's not fair-it's not Obama's fault, it's the continuing trend of imperialism that permeates our government and society) Even more pertinent, have the US acts of aggression (whether justified or not) toward seven foreign nations in the past six years (in addition to the much more severe aggression of previous administrations) had anything to do with the seemingly steadily increasing of tensions in the world? More, is there a better way out of this mess without further aggression? And if not, are we ready for it?

justintime justintime
Sep '14

Doesn't Russia get their oil from Syria? I don't think they will take this lying down.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '14

Russia has their own oil and gas. Don't think they depend on Syria for that. Syria is actually a net importer of oil at the moment.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '14

I have to disagree with your timeline, Justin in time. This mess started with George Bush in 1990 in his nation building invasion. This bombing is just putting out the fire but its going to smolder and keep flaring up. The terrorist are very mobile and are finding disgruntled people in every country.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

If Russia invades Turkey from behind, do you think Greece will help?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

LOL Ian - I'm pretty sure it helps in making a TurDockHen if nothing else.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

The Greeks always help from behind .

jerseycash5
Sep '14

ISIS,is making 6 million dollars a day,not bad for a bunch of rag heads,when will they be sold some missles?We know they will use them. If we don't wipe them all out,then we will be fighting there sons and daughters, just like Iraq! When are we going to get it,the average American couple has 1.6 children, the Muslims average 6.5,they will be the main culture,we can not maintain our culture at this rate.Do the math!They are serious about taking over the world,just ask Europe,you can't kill just some of the termites,can you?

Wow, they were only making $1M per day a week ago, they make more money while having more kids; that's a Muslim miracle............ Did you even look at previous posts or read anything before you post this trash LoBo?

I posted $1M above; I've seen $3M now that they have Iraq's fields, but $6M seems a complete fabrication. Source?

Then we go to the next fabrication; Muslim family size versus American family size. First, it's Americans against world Muslims ----- not Middle East, not ISIS, but world average....... We'll let that little hint of racism subside..... Or is Lobo at war with the Muslim faith?

Muslim families have been shrinking over time. More so in developed countries. It's under 3 kids per family.......around 2.3.

Not to worry Christian, you and your children will rule!!!!!

LoBo ---- look it up next time and quit spreading compost. Your attempt at fear and loathing is tiresome.

"English! English! Behold, I'm Azeem ibn Bashir Al Bakir! I'm not one of you, but I fight! I fight with Robin Hood! I fight against a tyrant who holds you under his boot! If you would be free men, then you must fight! Join us now, join Robin Hood!"

"And they call me Barbarian"

The real facts: http://www.pewforum.org/2011/01/27/the-future-of-the-global-muslim-population/

Sep '14

So here's what smart Muslim commentators are saying. Not much, nothing glaringly wrong, just lots of risk and uncertainty.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2014/09/23/Will-U-S-s-anti-ISIS-bombing-campaign-succeed-.html

Sep '14

mistergoogle, thanks for the tip! I didn't know there were smart Muslim commentators,how can you tell?Glad your not in a foxhole with me,I think you might light a cigar at night !

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154561705550300&set=vb.567865299&type=2&theater

The only smart Muslims are the ones that left. .
Hossam Hasbani Well done Mr. Gomez, and very interesting and convincing comparison, but only to those who want to believe in it, and live their lives dedicated to it's goals and objectives,based on believes relating to certain Gods, prophets, prophecies and so on, something that might mean your life to you, but to someone else it means nothing, so who are we to participate (on both sides) in this religious war ? why carry on with something that looks like a myth to me ,a religion to you and kill each other for it ?we exist in 2014 but still behave based on books and texts that brought nothing but destruction to man kind, only when these texts are used in political agendas.
You see Mr. Gomez we might have swerved of the main objective here, which I apologize for, I never wanted to get into useless argument that serves no purpose, but what I wanted to make clear here is:
We are intelligent creatures that have to share this world in peace, and to do so we have to recognize the obvious existence of the different beliefs on this earth, and as long as we don't practice the separation of religions and governments, then we expect to see more radical movements, religiously motivated participating in their governments wars, and this is where religion and faith become a tool to recruit people, after all, protecting national interest and sovereignty of a certain country doesn't need or require God or his believers.
We need not to generalize, because when we do so, we leave no choice to those who are more human than religious, we need to leave faith out of it, When we generalize Islam with these radical groups, then we are calling all the moderate Muslim countries terrorists, and when we generalize Christianity with the radical groups who are calling for Armageddon and the establishment of a pure Jewish state in order for Christ to come back, then we are calling all Christians terrorists as well, because as a Palestinian who happened (by chance) to be Christian don't give a damn about all of this we call religion, what was reality for me is that my home land was invaded, ethnically cleansed,its history destroyed, and all of that for what? For the return of your Christ? I as a Christian don't believe in your Christ that made me lose my country, my heritage my future, your God to me is a myth. Do you get now Mr. Gomez.
After all, I really feel sorry for those who claim to be on right side, but still preach hate, you claim your God is the loving one, the right one but you all kill in his name, and I'm referring to both sides here with no exceptions, you all claim to have the way to be saved, to be saved of what? The atrocities you committed in your Gods name, and who knows about being saved but the dead ones ? Funny world
14 hrs · Edited · Like

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

So you don't think that there are any smart Muslims eh Lobo. Probably don't believe that Muslims ever contributed anything to the world you live in either.

I think that tells us much about your brain pan. Very shallow.

Sep '14

Mg - thanks much for posting the link to the alarabiya article. Very interesting.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Rebecka, the article you reference is slanted toward US businesses conducting international business in the middle east. I wanted to mention it because business perspectives are often at odds with the moral perspectives that are typically discussed here.

For reference, and ignoring the comment about the author being muslim (not sure where that came from or even why it's relevant), he's currently the president of the International American Council:
http://iaccouncil.org/about/

justintime justintime
Sep '14

mistergoogle,again your always right,in your own mind.I believe that old gent is giving you a run for your money,did you see his post?You better check and see if he is correct,that is what you do.You sound so much like a teacher,keep posting we all enjoy it!

He is smart, he is Muslim, he is a commentator, and the article was published in Al Arabiya News: http://english.alarabiya.net/tools/about.html I'm pretty sure that counts as: "So here's what smart Muslim commentators are saying."

It is captioned "OPINION"

As to the business angle of the article, of HL's moral bents being at odds with business issues, I haven't the foggiest idea of what you are thinking. Matter of fact, I don't see a business "slant" to either IAC and especially the author. Whack.

Lobo: I mostly agree with Old Gent, even enjoy the occasional misspelled rants off deep end; Bush did not help our war on terrorism with his useless nation building war in Iraq; he made it worse. If anything he did create more terrorism with this action because the disenfranchised (disgruntle to old gent) are often born of war, any war. And it takes a multitude of generations to remove. I am a child of WWII, never saw it, totally affected by it, it shaped my life. However timeline-wise, both Justi and OldGent are right, depends on what you are measuring. Heck, you can start at the WWI slice n dice of countries, the WWII version or even go back a thousand years or more if you want a beginning. Some even feel there is Muslim envy after being kings of the biblical world to being reduced to oil drillers fueling the modern Christian world. Whatever.

Had to laugh about your teacher comment; can't imagine you being able to recognize one :>)

Now, erase the chalk board....heh, heh... Whatever the past, we must diminish (I love that spin word) ISIS both in manpower and financial support with maximum force and minimal risk, i.e. death from above. They have people, money, and have said they would delight in killing innocent Americans; that's enough for us to act. We can not end it this way; the host countries and regional countries will have to do that. We need to continue to protect the home shores from incursion from within and external. And that will continue for decades.

But some day I hope to fly once again without waiting hours to be scrutinized. I call that freedom.........

Sep '14

http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2014/09/25/39531/more-than-100-islamic-scholars-issue-letter-detail/

The U.S. unleashed a new round of airstrikes against ISIS in eastern Syria late yesterday, targeting a dozen small oil refineries.

The group of militants operating in Iraq and Syria refers to itself as the Islamic State, but are they truly following the tenets of Islam?

Most definitely not, according to a group of Islamic scholars and Muslim leaders in the U.S. and abroad.

They have issued an open letter in Arabic and English refuting the ideology of the militant group, signed by more than 120 scholars and groups, including The Council on American-Islamic Relations and The Fiqh Council of North America.

Addressed directly to Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, the self-proclaimed leader of the Islamic State, and the group's followers, the letter lays out the case for why killing "emissaries," such as diplomats and journalists, is forbidden in Islam.

"You have mercilessly killed the journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff even after Sotloff's mother pleaded with you and begged for mercy," the scholars write in the letter. "Aid workers are also emissaries of mercy and kindness, yet you killed the aid worker David Haines. What you have done is unquestionably forbidden (haraam)."

For more, Nihad Awad, executive director with the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, spoke to Take Two.

Read the full 29-page letter here.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

This is from some obscure radio station. Why not buy a page in the NY times so it make's the news.?

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

It's all over Facebook and will be in Time magazine

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

Lettertobaghdadi.com

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

Where is it documented that the author is Muslim? Didn't see that anywhere.

justintime justintime
Sep '14

Hamza Yusuf is a well known Sheik/Imam and started the only Islamic university in North America, zany tuna college in Berkeley California
His given name is Mark Hansen
Check Wikipedia for his bio

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

Zaytuna College
Stupid auto correct :)

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

From
NPR.org

In a speech before the U.N. General Assembly laying out a blueprint for the global battle against the group that calls itself the Islamic State, President Obama called on the world to take a stand against religious extremism. "The ideology of ISIL or al-Qaida or Boko Haram will wilt and die if it is consistently exposed and confronted and refuted in the light of day," Obama said.
Then he singled out one organization and one man leading that charge: the new Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies and Sheik Abdullah bin Bayyah. Describing the group's purpose, the sheik said, "We must declare war on war so the outcome will be peace upon peace."

Bin Bayyah, 79, is a prominent Muslim cleric and, as a respected religious scholar, has issued edicts to explain why groups such as the so-called Islamic State, also known as ISIL or ISIS, are misguided and should reverse course.

Last week, key clerics from the Muslim world issued two fatwas, or religious edicts, against the group.

One came from senior religious leaders in Saudi Arabia, and the other came from bin Bayyah. His fatwa calls for dialogue about the true tenets of Islam and, over the course of many pages, questions just about everything for which ISIS says it stands. The fatwa says establishing a caliphate by force is a misreading of religious doctrine. Killing of innocents and violence, the fatwa declares, are wrong too.

Bin Bayyah said in an interview with NPR that he hopes the religious ruling will slow the group's momentum. "Primarily [the fatwa] is really about addressing the mistakes, and it's really warning them and advising them that what you are doing is clearly wrong," he said.

Bin Bayyah is known as a scholar's scholar. He was born in the North African country of Mauritania and studied in Islamic centers there. He served as a judge of the High Court in Mauritania and had a number of ministerial positions. Now he's a lecturer at the Aziz University in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

“ If you don't defeat the ideas intellectually, then the ideas will re-emerge.
- Sheik Abdullah bin Bayyah

When a figure like Sheik bin Bayyah issues a fatwa, it doesn't have an immediate effect. Instead, it filters down, from scholars to teachers, to local imams to people on the street.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

Yes, none of our posts indicate religious affiliation and the author does not mention it so perhaps I should not. I was wrongly quasi-replying to certain generalizations that everything Muslim is wrong as well as trying to show a viewpoint of our war from the Arab world and press.

The author is Shiite Muslim; family members were kidnapped in 2013 because of his commentary and religious affiliation. You can search on that if you really want a source.

Sep '14

This is the same Sheik that ordered a Fatwa against American Soldiers fighting in Araq in 2004. Maybe Obama should have done a little research before praising him.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '14

FYI H-town Mama

http://loganswarning.com/2014/09/25/nai-exclusive-muslim-scholars-anti-isis-letter-undone-part-l/

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXyLca22x1o&sns=em

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.