Engagement Rings

Hello All, looking to get the opinion of the ladies out on the site of their opinion or preference of the carat size of an engagement ring. I am focused in on a 1.5 carat (very good quality) round diamond that sits in a halo type setting... How does the 1.5 carat rate in your minds? Any input would be appreciated!!!

shopping shopping
Sep '14

Are you RICH!!!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

A 1.5 carat stone would please me very much!! I don't know what a Halo setting is, so I can't offer an opinion there. I am very traditional and would prefer a traditional setting. Not everyone does. My daughter is one. She has a beautiful stone, but an empire setting. I really don't like her ring, But SHE does and that's what counts. Do you have an idea on what the preference is for the setting? But the stone sounds perfect!

Tanya Tanya
Sep '14

1.5ct Certified Colorless Princess Cut Solitaire Diamond Ring in 18K White Gold

Colorless Solitaire Diamond Ring
SKU: R123081

Availability: In stock

$42,000.00 List

$14,500.00 sale price

Make sure she is worth it!!!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

Dear Shopping,
I'm sure if she loves you she will pleased with almost any ring size, however I would try to get some "hints" from her as to what she may like. Sometimes her girlfriends may have some info about what she has hinted at for a ring preference. A smaller stone ( carat) of higher quality ( clarity) may be preferred to a larger stone of lesser quality. Also, some women don't like very large rings because they don't want to worry about damaging it. 1.5 carats is a good size stone.
My best advise is get the ring you think she will like, but if you really love her, give her the option of trading it in ( without being insulted) if she would prefer a different cut or size. Most reputable diamond stores will allow you to do so as long as the ring has not been damaged. Ask them about this option before you buy. Good Luck and congratulations.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Sep '14

Personally, I'm not a fan of the halo setting. I think it's too trendy, but many women like them. A classic 4 or 6 prong solitaire is more timeless. Go for the diamond band for some extra sparkle. A 1.5 carat stone is a very respectable size. It will also look bigger or smaller depending on the size of the finger that is wearing it.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Sep '14

Congratulations on your engagement!

It really depends on your hand size. My stone is a smidgen over a carat. 1.5 on my tiny hand would look really gaudy. I had to Google "halo setting", as I had no idea what that meant and I agree with what Tracy said above.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

It depends on the taste of the woman and the budget of the man. My hands are tiny, but I like larger rings.

Personally, I love halo and other more detailed settings. I've never liked a solitaire setting with just a lonely stone sitting up on your finger. It really is personal, so I would consult your beloved! If you wanted to surprise her, that's another story. Consulting her friends is a great idea.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

dude, if she loves you it wont matter, but my experience is watch out, i have had about 20 women say they want to marry me, make sure you got the right one

joseph joseph
Sep '14

Thanks everyone, keep the input coming... She is 5'10" and has larger hands so I think based on everyone's advice, the 1.5 carat size is good! She had mentioned the halo setting in passing once...

shopping shopping
Sep '14

go to NYC - 47th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. Shops closer to Fifth Avenue tend to be pricier than those closer to Sixth Avenue. Avoid being drawn into stores by "hawkers" who earn a commission by enticing buyers in off the street. This small area has more than 2600 diamond businesses - get her a nice 1.2-1.5 ct well-cut Princess, E-F, VS1-2. bring an Ideal-scope.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart.asp

Skippy Skippy
Sep '14

What JBJSKJ said---

Find out what's important to her, some people only care about size/cost of the stone, others care more about the quality of the stone, others may be more concerned with how it was procured (fair trade/whatnot). Also, something I was a little surprised to find out is how much where it comes from will make an impact... Somehow if it comes out of that little blue box, it means more...

Brendan Brendan
Sep '14

If Mr Negative is correct, all I can say is ARE YOU CRAZY?
The cost and size of a ring doesnt make a happy marriage. If she WANTS something like that, SHE probably isn't the right one. You need to pick the right woman, not the right ring.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

Congratulations!

I'm in the minority, but I didn't want a big ring, I am always busy with my hands, and the solitaire tends to get caught on things. My engagement ring was .75, but now some years down the road I'm wearing an anniversary band with channel set stones for everyday. Take out the other when we go out.

Have you thought about how you will ask her? That's an important life memory. IMO more important than the box color. On a hike at sunset? Hide it inside some other silly little gift? In a nice restaurant? At the beach? At a ballgame? Braid it into her horse's mane?

hktownie hktownie
Sep '14

bothered - Crazy is relative. If the OP can afford it and that's what he wants his fiancee to have it's not crazy. If he is going to charge it and pay it off for 47 years, then.......

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Some cookbooks and a high end set of cookware would be a much better investment imo. Throw in some cooking classes and a gift certificate to Victoria's Secret.

jerseycash5
Sep '14

Lol good point Calico. But if his gf expects something like that, he better run the other way. Just because you can afford something, doesnt mean it makes sense to buy it.

Sep '14

My suggestion would be to get a "bubble gum machine ring" to give her. Then let her go and pick out her own ring. My husband had his mother embroider a "carrot" on a piece of fabric which he mounted in a bubble gum ring. It was my "one carrot ring". When we went out to pick a ring, I actually chose a ruby surrounded by diamonds. I still have my "one carrot" ring in its original box in the safe with my other jewelry. It's just as precious as my "real jewels".

Nancy Nancy
Sep '14

I disagree with letting her pick out her own ring. Pick out the ring you can comfortably afford and you think she'll like; if she doesn't like it, she's not the one for you. A woman should never know what you paid for her engagement ring; it's even worse luck than seeing her in her dress before the ceremony, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

I agree with Mr. Negative - think it through before you spend $40K ( if that is correct) on a ring. There are more important practical things in life to spend money on than an engagement ring.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Sep '14

I would go with one of these:

http://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-best-new-cars-under-15-000-112802/

and a $500 ring....

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Sep '14

DiaHillRes, that $42,500 number is the "list price", which means the price they set so ridiculously high that you actually feel good about being raped for the $14,500 "sale price" for something that is neither rare nor valuable.

http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/45768546804/diamonds-are-bullshit

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Re: Engagement Rings

Go with your gut instinct. My husband had asked me for a little input, but after 7 years he also figured out my taste in jewelry ( We were just married in April). Here is what he chose all on his own and I absolutely loved it.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Sep '14

sunshinenj- Your ring is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations

positive positive
Sep '14

Sunshine - that is lovely!

Mr. Negative and bothered - you are projecting your own financial situations onto the OP. Many women have rings much larger (and more expensive) than what the OP is thinking about. If a man is well-off, spending a good deal of money on a ring is the pretty much the norm. A 1.5 ct stone is not outrageous in the least. I'm amazed at some of the reactions here. It's not "crazy" to spend money you have on someone you love. Why assume everyone is poor here?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

What is CRAZY is to waste $50,000 or more on a Wedding!!!! Get married in town hall for $35.00 and have a sit down dinner at a nice restaurant like Black Forest Inn. Save the rest for a down payment on a house.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

+1 Rebecka

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Mr. Negative, you really are too much. Maybe the OP already owns a home and car(s). Again, not everyone is poor.

It's amazing to me how a thread about engagement rings can really highlight who is bitter about money or love, or both.

This is a wonderful time in OP's life! Let's be happy for him and give him advice on the topic he asked about?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

How about we don't tell the OP what he should do, and help him do what he wants to do? After all, that was his question

Secondly he did request "opinion of the ladies", so to all the guys who immediately posted, shame on you!

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

Rebecka, Well said. I could not agree more.

Rebecka nails it again!

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Dead on Rebecka. I tried to say something similar above, but it didn't come off nearly as eloquently as your post did. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Here are some samples of what he described. No where near that price above.

http://www.dacarli.com/engagement/halo-rings?gclid=CNft7YP1w8ACFSsV7AodCTsALQ

Shopping congrats it seems you listened to her and know what she wants go for it.

Christine Christine
Sep '14

Wowzers. This thread got out of hand. Thanks for saying what I was thinking too, Rebecka.

My husband picked out my ring on his own and shopped around for the best price. He did a wonderful job and I love and treasure my ring. He saved a long time for it, and he knew what kind of ring would make me happy. And I got a hot air balloon proposal!

Tracy Tracy
Sep '14

I'm a little baffled as to why so many people let someone like Mr. Negative get under their skin. It's obvious to me that's exactly what he wants, to get people riled and put him at the center of attention.

I know it's not easy, but I suggest ignoring Mr. N would be the best weapon to use.

Rebecka I'm not discrediting you for responding and doing an excellent job telling Mr. N off..I applaude you for that, but I really feel that he is not worth anyone's energy.

positive positive
Sep '14

You are so right, positive. This time he just "got" to me because I felt he was stomping on someone's joyful moment. In any case, carry on with opinions about engagement rings, all! We all seem to have different tastes, and thank goodness, because otherwise we'd all be wearing the same rings and how boring would that be?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Positive, you are so annoyingly positive! Mother knows best!

Rebecca and I have a love hate relationship.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

Shopping...I think your ring pick sounds terrific! I am sure your girlfriend will love it... especially since it's coming from the one she loves.

Sunshine...Gorgeous ring! Wear it in good health.

Rebecka...Not only am I taking you out for a drink, but I totally agree with you! Go girl!

Loud-mouth Jen Loud-mouth Jen
Sep '14

I can bet you that if she loves you she will LOVE whatever ring you choose.

Congrats on your upcoming engagement!

Remember.....20 women = 20 opinions. lol

abbadabbadoooo abbadabbadoooo
Sep '14

Christine, those prices are only for the setting.The stone is extra. Congratulations, shopping! Have a wonderful marriage!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Sep '14

Rebecka-you are so off. Im not bitter about love or marriage. Have been happily married for 22 years. NEVER said anyone was poor. Once again, on HL, you are not allowed to have our own OPINION about something.
If OP wants to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a ring, more power to him. Im saying the cost of a ring DOESNT make a marriage happy.
**Mr Negative-YOU GO BOY!! Lol
Abadoo is right. She will love you no matter what kind of ring you give her.
Congrats OP. Best of luck to you.

Sep '14

The Halo rings are beautiful and I feel that this is more antique looking than the traditional solitaire.

If she has mentioned it in passing, you should feel good with that choice.

Congratulations! This is a beautiful and exciting time in your life - Enjoy!

Coralie Coralie
Sep '14

Mr. Negative - I don't hate you. I send positive, joyful, optimistic energy your way every day. You aren't feeling it? ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

yeah I regret posting lol

Skippy Skippy
Sep '14

There is also the personal upgrade plan. Keep in mind your first ring, does not have to be your last ring. You can get bigger diamonds as time goes by using the smaller diamonds for the side diamonds, or any other custom design to use your smaller diamonds.

My advice is to get the best quality diamond you can afford. Make sure the setting is secure. I don't like the prongs, and have a custom setting that surrounds the diamond except for two small sections on each side. I like a raised round center stone, with two flush round stones on the band. What I like. I'll post a picture.

My first ring was 1/4 carat. Second ring 1/2 carat (10 years). Third ring, 1 carat (20 years). Fourth ring 3 1/2 carats (30 years) 2 1/2 carat center, with 2 side diamonds 1/2 carat each. Will not be upgrading any more, and married 37 years now.

I have had pretty much the same style, just bigger diamonds, but I like diamonds. I really like diamonds.

My daughter now has my 1 carat with two side carats of 1/4 each.

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Sep '14

Rebecka

Glad to see I have at least 1 fan in my club! I feel the energy Thank you!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Sep '14

Re: Engagement Rings

Here is my upgrade plan ring. You can see the setting surrounds the center diamond.

Peggy C Peggy C
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.