Cold Recipes for Hot Summer Days

With this blast of heat and humidity I thought we could share favorite cold dishes.
One of my favorite summer staples:

Cold Cucumber-Zucchini Soup

2 cucumbers
1 green zucchini
1 large onion
oil/butter/margarine
3 Tb. Flour
1 c plain yogurt (I use Brown Cow cream on top)

Peel cucumbers -- slice cucumbers, zucchini & onion.
(remove cucumber seeds if large)
Put 2 tsp oil & 1 tsp butter or margarine in large saucepan with 4 Tb water.
Add vegetables; cover and cook over low heat about 1/2 hr or until soft.
Stir in 3 Tb. flour & mix well --- then add 2 cups water. Stir over medium heat until boiling and thickened.
Puree in a blender. Pour back into pan and blend in yogurt.
Chill & serve cold.
(if desired, add white pepper and garnish with fresh or dried herbs like dill, mint, etc)

happiest girl
Sep '14

Cold beet soup!

Darrin Darrin
Sep '14

Simple creamed cucumbers & onion. Cucumber, sliced. Onions, diced. A touch of salt and in the fridge they go for a day or two. Drain the liquid that the salt draws out. They add a touch of cider vinegar, a touch of sugar, and a table spoon of sour cream. Back in the fridge for a week.

Pickled water melon!!

I'm working on my 5th watermelon this summer! Tell me how you pickle them, GC.

happiest girl
Sep '14

Salmorejo: Cold tomato and bread soup.

Take a dozen or so Roma tomatoes (or same quantity of other tomatoes), cored and seeded, rough chop. Two cups of crusty bread cubes (Day old French bread works great), 3 tablespoons of sherry vinegar, juice of one lemon, and a cup of EVOO. Put it in a blender and puree until smooth. Salt to taste. Refigerate for a few hours and serve with chopped up hard boiled eggs and some diced ham. A little drizzle of light EVOO if you like. It's a great way to use up day old bread and tomatoes.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

Pickled watermelon - just cut it up into inch cubes, put in a quart jar, add maybe a tablespoon of white vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, a touch of salt, dill or other spices to taste. Put a lid on it, shake it all up, and put it in the fridge for a week or two.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.