Furnace repairs vs. buying a new system

Saw a thread on here but it was from 2009. Our heating/cooling system needs a few parts (so the maintence guy told us) We had a guy form air group come out verbally told us that the parts would be around $1,000 and a new system would be aprox $2500. its a small condo unit roughly 14 years old. the written estimate offers 2 new systems priced at $3200 and $4200. Of course we'd like to get other company estimates.
I saw on the old posting people recommended All TEch, Scotty and sons, First class comfot and karma heatng. Any other suggestions? thanks in advance.

stressed out stressed out
Sep '14

Two others are often mentioned in threads like this. TGM 908-852-6355 and Schulaka (908) 852-2999

Parts vs. New, depends on specifically "What Parts"

Appears from the OP that it is for (two systems) for your condo? ?

Embryodad Embryodad
Sep '14

stressed out

It may be a big cost to replace but look at it this way the old units may run at a larger cost for fuel and electric and might just be off set by the new unit running with less cost but by all means get get 3 estamats

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '14

I've usually purchased the annual service plans for the gas furnace/ac but now I'm wondering if they are really worth it. I really just use if for the annual cleaning. Curious if others have them and if so with which company?

On my 30-yr + boiler I used Budd Oil and, yes, it was worth it. Well worth it. If for no other reason than to give me very prompt attention.

On a new one......not so much. Plus, if you buy a new one it will usually have from 1 - 5 years in the purchase price which should be enough to knock any kinks out.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '15

we had 2 boilers in our house 0n3 40 yrs old and one 55 years old we pull them and put in one multi zone system we cut our fuel useage by 75% which in turn payed for the new unit in 3 years go new it pays

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '15

Only drawback with new is life expectancy compared to older generation stuff. I really wish the new stuff was built to last as long.

Justintime Justintime
Aug '15

@ Justintime......

True ... and the problem is, in some instances, these manufacturers are scrambling to squeeze every bit of energy input into usable output for efficiency.

The prototypes are not tested long enough, and then when problems or glitches arise, they are scrambling to produce the so called "Fix Kits", to resolve the glitches.

They do that with the auto industry and just about anything today.

A model is introduced, and in a year, some become outdated, and now that model / design, is changed....

I get a kick when they advertise "New And Improved" ..... Why wasn't it improved before it was put on the market?... LOL

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.