Jagerstein Biergarten

Formally the Buckwood bistro in Rt.46 Knowlton

Wifey found out about it and since she is 100% of German descent we will definitely be making a pilgrimage soon.

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

Great name... can't wait to see if the food and beer live up to it.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

GC, they've got Rouladen as the Saturday special... and Hofbrau on tap. Prost!

http://www.jagersteinbiergarten.com/Menu.html

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Glad to see they have several vegetarian apps. and a vegetarian sandwich too!
That's worth a visit for me!

happiest girl
Sep '14

Wiener Schnitzel is calling me

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '14

Me too, Clyde! Me too!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '14

Eggplant & Potato Pancakes are calling me, Clyde!

happiest girl
Sep '14

The Sauerbraten is waiting for me.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

Open at 11:30 Thurs Fri Sat Sun, 3:00 Tues Wed

eapos eapos
Sep '14

Rouladen., Yum. Give me that, some red cabbage, and some Spaetzle and I'm good. Is it the same owners as the Buckwood? We went there over the winter and the food was pretty good.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

Hmmmm, I noticed the name change when I drove by there recently. I was wondering if it was the same owners with just a new name and theme. The owner was a French guy IIRC. Place was a little odd, but I was only there once about 4 years ago for drinks and music.

Would love to hear some reviews.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

ianimal - They may have Rouladen, but do they have the winner of the Piggly Wiggly Chef Award trashing two little 90 year old grandmothers' cooking?? Oh wait, you have to be British for that. Never mind.

If their portions are about the same size as a lunch at Black Forest, it's going to be tough. Stanhope is only 7 miles for me and Jagerstein's prices are just about the same as lunch at Black Forest. I'm sure at one point I'll have to try it, but it's not the most convenient for me at least. If the prices were lower I would love to have something I could do more often than a splurge.

Went there today for lunch with a group of 15 from Paragon Village. We were the only ones in there and the service was slow. My portion of sauerbraten, red cabbage and spaetzle (spelling ?) was about the same size as lunch portion at Black Forest. It was good but meat was not as tender. The owner did come out and he was French, so it is probably the same owner.

Mariann Mariann
Sep '14

Calico,

Yes, same owners -new theme. I've been there twice now.
I like it. But we're running out of choices since so many places have closed.
I

MikeL MikeL
Sep '14

Thanks for the info.

Mike - I agree with places closing. It's crazy.

That said, Island Park was finally sold. Not sure what it's going to be. I heard a sports bar, but I also heard a liquor store. Not sure what's true.

Roaring Rock on Brass Castle was reportedly sold. Hopefully, that might turn into something decent as I only live a little over a mile from there.

I doubt Gunnar's will ever reopen as they sold the liquor license to the Belvidere Diner.

Not sure what's up with Hunter's Lodge.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I always liked Roaring Rock, Carol & George? were always very hospitable.
Did Thanksgiving there one year and had a wonderful time.

I didn't know the Belvidere Diner had a liquor license. Why?

I'm happy to hear that Island Park was finally sold. I can walk to it and stumble home.

MikeL MikeL
Sep '14

Yes, Carol and George, best mushroom soup around. Great people. George was never the same after he had the stroke. Unfortunately, old and tired.

I'm looking forward to some new places in the area. Especially the Draught House.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Yes! Mushroom soup at Roaring Rock!!! Neat little place, sorry it didn't work out for those two.... so RR is currently closed?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '14

Yes, currently closed as of a couple weeks ago.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Crap, I have gift certificates to both Roaring Rock and Buckwood.

Ouch MB. The owner at Jagerstein might honor the Buckwood one, since it's the same owner. It would be the right thing to do IMO. Give a call and ask. As for Roaring Rock, I think you are SOL, sorry.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

MB

We Will be delighted to honor your gift card from Buckwood Bistro. FYI Gift cards in the state of NJ never expire. Write to the state and you should be able to get the money back. It takes a while and is only applicable if your gift cannot be honored. Thanks Staff of Jagerstein Biergarten

Jagerstein Biergarte Jagerstein Biergarte
Oct '14

I'm 25% German, should I go :)

Has anyone else tried this place and can give a review? Thinking of maybe trying it next week.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

When we went, they had three beers on tap. Yuengling, Coors Light, and Palm. At a beer garden. Yeah. My friend went for dinner and said the wait for food was ridiculous. So I wouldn't recommend.

Fuji
Dec '14

Funny this thread popped up. I'm supposed to go here tomorrow night with some friends for our holiday get together

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Dec '14

Make sure you give us your review Jrzy. Have fun!

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Thanks Calico! Will let you know..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Dec '14

Restaurant was quiet for a Saturday night, so we didn't have a long wait for our food as previously posted, but then again I think that whenever food is truly prepared to order there is some wait time. The owner/chef came out and chatted with us for quiet some time. One of my girlfriends is from Germany and she truly enjoyed it. Would definitely go back. Very relaxed and casual. We had plenty of time to talk and catch up and were not rushed at all. I had the Jagerschnitzel and the brandy sauce was yummy. The dumplings were just made and reminded my friend of her moms. For desserts we had Black Forest Cake and Apple Strudel both made on premise and were very good. Can't say anything about the beer selection as I only drink beer at hockey games but I know they definitely had some german beer in bottles as thats what my friends were drinking. Not a Becks or Heinken something I never heard of..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Dec '14

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Will have to try it soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

A diamond in the rough. This place is fabulous!! The chef really enjoys what he does and it reflects in the dish brought to the table. I have been coming to this location for some time, it was great when it was Buckwood and is still great now that it is Jagerstein. The chef has always come out to talk to us. Our last visit he gave us drinks on the house. The food is out of this world delicious. I highly recommend Jagerstein. You will never leave disappointed.

Candy R. Candy R.
May '15

MeisterNJ - Rouladen, spaetzl, and red cabbage is *exactly* what I just had on the way back from PA.

Too good, just a hint of cumin to keep you guessing. And that apple strudel is dynamite. I'm not the biggest strudel fan, but that pastry will really knock you out.

The owner is born in Germany, grew up in France, became American, studied cooking in Switzerland, but has an Italian name. Sure said all the right things about my mom even before she said her whole family is German. She still couldn't hardly understand a word. Gotta love the thick Alsatian accent. Stayed like two hours avoiding the snow. ;-)

GC, Thank you for your review. I know you know good Rouladen. Will have to try it.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Apr '16

I found this article on line about not only local Warren County farm fresh, but also Jean Louis. No wonder the food is as good as it is, he's the former executive chef of Le Cirque.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2010/07/warren_county_restaurants_farm.html

He may have an Italian last name as he said, but in Italian it means "German". ;-)

Darn! I always forget that this place even exists when trying to decide where to have dinner. We will have to try it soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Calico - they have German wheat beers out the wazoo. I can't imagine how you aren't a regular. ;-)

I know, as they are my favorite. I just forget it's there since I don't head that far out 46 very often. I'm really thirsty now. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

I think the article is about Buckwood Bistro that closed, not Jagerstein, is it the same chef?

kepa
Apr '16

kepa - Yes, it's the same owners/chef. Buckwood didn't really close but changed theme.

ok thanks!

kepa
Apr '16

Sounds like a great place. Can't wait to try it. German good is good to eat

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

Based on recommendations from HL, I tried this place last night. My SO and I had the rouladen which came with choice of 2 sides. ( I chose croquettes and veg and my SO had red cabbage and spaetzle) Both dishes were delicious. The meat was so tender you did not have to cut it with a knife. We were also given the soup of the day complimentary. The chef is indeed the same owner as the Buckwood Tavern. He came out to ensure we were enjoying our dinners and and he was the executive chef at Le Cirque for 5 years and then worked at a well known French Restaurant in Bergen County for 28 years ( sorry I forgot the name) He commuted to his job from his home in Knowlton for all those years and decided at this point in his life he wanted to work close to home so that is the story. I told him his place was well received on this forum and he was happy word is getting out as he does not use the internet.. Looking forward to going back to try different dishes and siittng on the outside patio. PS- took home the apple strudel for dessert which was still warm as it had just come out of the oven- also delicious! Indeed " a diamond in the rough!"

studentofthegame studentofthegame
Apr '16

We are thinking of trying this place tomorrow. Has there been any improvement in the dinner portion sizes since previous reviews have stated them being on the lunch-portion size?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '16

3wbdwnj - I got two good size pieces of Rouladen, and my mom got three cutlets in her chicken Jager. She could only eat one and took the rest home. It was decent size as far as we were concerned.

Portion size is subjective for dinner. If one is enjoying a quality dinner meal with several courses as it should include, then the size of each course is appropriate and sized perfectly as so one is not either left feeling stuffed or yearning for more. The typical chain or diner mentality is usually give a large quantity as it is just stuff the gut type of scenario as opposed to enjoying an evening of having a world class chef offer a high quality experience.
Chef Louis delivers big time in my opinion.

Point taken Greg and I completely agree. I am not the big eater - hubby is. And if we are paying more than typical, it had better be reflected in the portion sizes! :)

Thanks for the review, GC!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '16

I went today and had the Rouladen with red cabbage and seasonal vegetables highly recommend it the chef came over and introduced himself and talked to us.The portion size was perfect for me and the price seemed right on tract...will be back again !

Went last night. Was very good.
Will definitely be going back.

Just read on Facebook that Jagerstein Biergarten is hosting a Mother's Day event as well. Hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

joyful joyful
Apr '16

Finally, news I can use!

About 10 years ago I had dinner with someone there (Buckwood Bistro??) Despite the linen tablecloths, it was a "meh" experience. The woman who appeared to be in-charge was apparently not having a good day, and the food was eminently forgettable. This probably explained all of the empty tables on what should have been a fairly busy night.

I'll give the place another shot now.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Apr '16

Great food there .

We plan on trying Jagerstein tonight. Review tomorrow.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Calico - Save room for the strudel!! And the long, long conversation. The minute the chef hears 'culinary school' and you could be a while. ;-)

I'd say to leave room for Hacker Pshorr but I know better...

We enjoyed it too. I had the Rouladen with sauerkraut and spaetzle. Hubby had the pig knuckles special. The chef did come out and chat with us. They had a few German beers on tap.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '16

Although I love Hacker Pshorr, I might roll with the Dinklelacker tonight!

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Ooooooh..... Dinkelacker Dunkel. Now that's living. ;-)

I will start off by saying that the food was really good and so was the Dinkelacker. Other than that, a strange experience.

We sat at the bar. There was the bartender and one waitress working the place. I'm not sure if I have ever seen such confusion, neither seemed to have a clue. The bartender searched the cooler for over 5 minutes trying to find my beer. Then she said there wasn't any in there and was going to go downstairs to look for some. The waitress came behind the bar to make drinks, while she was gone, and asked me if I wanted something to drink. I explained about the beer and the bartender. So the waitress started searching the cooler not finding it. Finally, the owner came over and asked what she was looking for. She told him and he said that they were all the way on the far right, and what do you know.....they were right there. Weird.

We then got menus and the bartender said she was going to go and find the specials sheet. While she was gone, I could hear the waitress reading specials to the only other two diners in the dining room. The bartender comes back and says that she can't find the specials sheet, but she will take our order and when she finds the sheet we can change out mind if we want. Wait, what? So asked her why she wouldn't just grab the sheet that the waitress has? She looked and me and said....oh, she has a sheet? Weird.

I ordered the chicken schnitzel guyere with spatzle and vegetable of the day. My husband ordered the sauerbraten with red cabbage and croquette. I ended up with plain chicken schnitzel and my husband ended up with the vegetable of the day instead of a croquette. We decided not to say anything, because that's how we roll.

About 5 minutes into the meal, the bartender shows back up with the croquette on a plate. She hands it to me and says that she is sorry, but they forgot to put it on my plate. So I handed it to my husband telling her that it was he who ordered it, not me. She apologized again at which time I said that my schnitzel was supposed to be guyere too. She looks and my plate and says....oh it's not? Hello, do you see any cheese? Also, how did she not notice that there was no cheese when picking it up in the kitchen and walking it out to me. Weird.

She said she would get me another order done correctly. I told her not to bother since I was already halfway through it. When we got the bill, she had written everything down correctly, so I'm not sure why the chef read it incorrectly. Weird.

Upon leaving, there was this huge, filthy poodle that hangs out on the patio. It followed us to the car and just stood behind it. It took me awhile, but I finally managed to get it to listen to me enough to get out of the way. How can you let your dog roam free on Rt. 46? Weird.

All in all, a strange dining experience for sure. My husband said he probably wouldn't go back even though his food was good. He said the place is just too weird.

Incidentally, we were there once before many years ago. This was when it was Buckwood Bistro. We didn't eat there, just met some friends for drinks and live music. That night, there were two strange, twenty something girls with light up hula hoops on the patio and an enormous guy riding around on a unicycle. And no, they weren't part of the entertainment, as that was indoors. Can't make this stuff ups folks. Just weird. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Was waiting patiently for your review, Calico of Jagerstein Biergarten....From what I am hearing from other people I know that have been there...they have experienced pretty much the same as you and your hubby did when they were there.

joyful joyful
May '16

Wait, the imported German beer wasn't on TAP? It was in bottles?!?! I can buy my own bottles at the liquor store.... if I'm going to eat there, I would expect their "featured" beers to be ON TAP...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '16

It sounds like a challenge Robert Irvine.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '16

Calico, the area has always been strange LOL :)

JR - They had Hofbrau on tap. The Dinkelacker was in a can and everything else in bottles.

joyful - Glad to hear it wasn't just us being picky. Everything was just chaos.

Like I said, the food was good so I would recommend it for that. Just bring your sense of humor and you will be fine. We had to try really hard from cracking up while there, especially with the hula hoop and unicycle memories in the back of our minds.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

LOL Calico...thanks for the review! I've never been there. Too funny!

Hofbrau on tap, beer garden, quoits, those pretzels.

Personally I couldn't ask for more, except may be a return of the hula girls.

Calico, why not crack up and enjoy the place.

MrCharlie
May '16

Went there to tonight for the first time with my wife and really enjoyed the night. The waitress was extremely nice and friendly. We both ordered the schnitzel. While waiting for out food, we were treated to free soup since it was taking longer than usual, we hadn't really noticed it was a very nice gesture and great soup. They had hofbrau octoberfest on tap. The food was great, the owne/chef came around as others have mentioned and was a very nice guy and we enjoyed a short conversation with him. All in all, we will definitely be back and will make this part of our restaurant rotation!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.