Bad gas?

Has anyone had any problems with the gas at the quick check on 517?? I have gotten gas there twice in the past couple months.. I usually go to Hess on Main Street.. In May I went there and filled my tank with regular gas and the next day my fuel pump went, last night I stopped for gas filled it with regular and my fuel pump went again today.. Round two of having the fuel pump replaced.

Concerned driver Concerned driver
Sep '14

One of the best thread titles. Ever.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '14

In these two instances...did you let your gas tank go down lower than normal and flirt too much with "E"? Some cars use the gas in the tank as a cooling mechanism for the fuel pump. So it's possible your fuel pump was over taxed leading to its failure.

Route 46 Route 46
Sep '14

No both times tank was about half full.. Probably just a weird coincidence

Concerned driver Concerned driver
Sep '14

. I usually go to Hess on Main Street.. In May I went there and filled my tank...

so, you went to Hess and your fuel pump died ... twice

MrCharlie2
Sep '14

Your fuel pump is probably electric. When they go it's usually related to the electronics dying in my experience. My guess is a weird coincidence.

I had both headlight bulbs go bad at the same time once. Checked fuses and wiring and couldn't understand why they weren't working until I replaced them both. Weird timing is all.

justintime justintime
Sep '14

Do you happen to have a VW...

I used that Quick Chek Thursday. Only $20 since their price was $3.17 & gas in Washington is $3. Got me to Yankee Stadium and home, no problems.

Concerned driver

Did the attendant "top off" the tank when you had it filled it up? Many people do that, but since the tank's under pressure and has a vapor vent system it's not a good idea, since it puts unnecessary stress on the whole system and I've heard of some vehicles having failures on various fuel system components that seemed to trace back to that. They may think they're doing you a favor, but they aren't and if you ask them to do it - you shouldn't!

There could be an issue with the original replacement fuel pump as well if the "sock" that covers the fuel pump inlet wasn't replaced or if the "sock" was replaced incorrectly.

Then again it could be an electrical issue, as "justintime" mentioned. There are a number of relays and connectors that could have an issue, including the inertia switch, etc.

What year, make and model of car is it? That may have something to do with it or to provide a better clue as to why it did that.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

And I was all set with some fart jokes. Leaving disappointed.

sack
Sep '14

If the fuel filter (Not the fuel sock on the pump ) is restricted, the pump pressure will increase; causing mechanical damage to the rotor lobes of the pump.
Usually fuel pressure should not be 20% over the rating of the pump design pressure.

The link below gives a good explanation and with pictorials that show the components.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/195

Embryodad Embryodad
Sep '14

Big Chrysler recall on fuel pumps just on TV news

eapos eapos
Sep '14

Embryodad is correct also

Usually the technician that replaces a fuel pump will also replace the in-line fuel filter, but if you don't follow the proper replacement schedule for the fuel filter, it can clog and cause back pressure against the fuel pump. In most cases I've seen (and heard of) however, you'd experience stalling and restart issues before you'd burn out the fuel pump if the in-line filter gets clogged. Depending on the manufacturer of the vehicle though, there may be model or make specific issues.

Another concern is the huge scandal among a number of parts suppliers that led to inferior parts being shipped and substituted for OEM.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.