Switching School Districts

Hello,

Is there a "legal" way to keep your children in a school district if you move to a different town? Example: I live in Independence Twsp and they go to Great meadows school district (Central school) if I moved to Hackettstown they would technically have to go to a Hackettstown school district i.e. Willow grove etc.

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see.

Thank You all

Yes, you can if you are willing to pay tuition to the school.

When I checked a few years ago, it was $10,000 to stay in Hackettstown. Needless to say, we didn't move.

hopeful hopeful
Sep '14

Not unless you want to pay. I know people that moved mid school yr to the other side of Main st in hackettstown and their kids had to go from Hatchery elementary to Willow Grove. That seemed silly to me that they couldn't finish out the school yr at one school and start the next yr at the other school

Darwin Darwin
Sep '14

It depends on if the school is an approved "Choice School"

http://www.state.nj.us/education/choice/

Nosila Nosila
Sep '14

I lookat it as if you live in a school district then you send them to that school or to a privet boarding school

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '14

We have had others move to H'town and drive their kids to Indy. Until, that is, they got caught. Not worth the risk, and what are you teaching your children. They will all end up in HHS, so what's the big deal of changing schools.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '14

To MOST of you thanks for the comments...and to a few of you jeeez typical Hackettstown lifers.

Looking for a fantasy answer, LOL...

Only legal way to do it is pay tuition to the out-of-town school you want your kids to go to.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

You definetly will have to pay to send them to another school. I don't understand since we pay so much in school taxes, we should have the choice as to where we want to send our kids.
As far as living in town and going only to HHS, that's not true. When the time comes to send them to high school, they can go to Warren Tech as well.

Sherry Sherry
Sep '14

If you are moving near the end of the school year and talk to the principal, the superintendent usually gives permission to finish the school year out. If a family has to move in with another family because the family (moving) lost their home, then they are considered homeless and the last district of residence is responsible for education. Often, to provide for stability, the children are permitted to stay in their original school. If the district gives you a problem, request to speak to the homeless coordinator. In other circumstances, a child may reside with someone other than their parents and go to school where they are staying; however, the parents must sign custody over to the person the child is staying with (on paper) for the school year. The last way is sometimes used to get around the system (obviously). It is important not to put your child in a position where they have to lie. And as far as warren tech, students must apply and be accepted. Not all students are accepted, sometimes without apparent cause.

talktoya talktoya
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.