Hummingbirds - still here?

Wondering if anyone else is still having hummers at their feeders. I was all set to remove, clean and put away my feeder and I thought I saw one this morning. It seems a little late to me.

justwondering justwondering
Sep '14

hmmm

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '14

It's been awhile since I had a hummer... but it's never too late for one.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

no more here

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

We still have them. They are looking for the feeder. Took the feeder down because the bees were having a field day with it.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

One was caught in my enclosed sunroom. Not sure how or why, but it was there. They're definitely still there, just perhaps not in feeders? Then again, I live on Schooley's Mountain, so you guys in the big city might have different ecosystems then me ;)

LngVly22 LngVly22
Sep '14

SSOO funny you should ask...... I never get any, now that my neighbor has been away this past year... BUT this past weekend they were all over my yard... thought it was a sign from a friend watching over me!!!! nope think they were just hungry and looking for food.... such a beautiful sight~~~~~~ they were playing around like little kids.... put a smile on my face for awhile... :) :) :)

scoop scoop
Sep '14

I saw one at my flowers a couple of days ago but not at my feeder.

kayaking kayaking
Sep '14

I think the ones we are now seeing are migrating through the area. They are here one day and then moving on...

I haven't seen any for a couple of weeks.... out feeder is still half full..... I didn't know they were "seasonal"???

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '14

still feeding at my flowers and feeder

pmnsk pmnsk
Sep '14

Thanks, I guess I will make a little fresh "happy juice" until I don't see any more for awhile. I sure do miss them when they leave.

Sep '14

Still hitting our feeders hard in Independence.

fishmaker1 fishmaker1
Sep '14

Have no feeders, but they are all over my flowers.

Dansker Dansker
Sep '14

My last sighting was 9/19. Took down and cleaned my last feeder on Friday. Maybe I'll refill it and put it out one last week. Thanks for updates, there is still hope!

Bruin Bruin
Sep '14

Jak - I think you're correct - I think these are migrating hummers, who of course really appreciate the food for their long journeys ahead.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

im putting out some fresh juice !

mommajoe mommajoe
Sep '14

My humming birds have returned and my feeders are out a male and female have been spotted.

Libertythinker Libertythinker
May '15

I'm making hummingbird food right now!

had one here plus I think there's a lot of honey bees after zero last couple year.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '15

I saw my first Hummingbird yesterday while dropping something off and chatting to another HL'er. Now I want to get a feeder for them. Iris, what's Hummingbird food?

Bessie Bessie
May '15

Hummingbird food is 4 to 1 water to sugar. 240 ml of water to 60 grams of sugar(4 heaping tablespoons)

ex sci teacher ex sci teacher
May '15

Bessie - In plain English, sugar water and red food coloring. ;-)

Mr G - I'm not so sure about "honey bees", the every day bee I don't see so much. What seems to be so prolific this year is the "bumble bee". I've consistently had a pair that protect their territory of my mail box every year. But now there are 4 fighting over that, another one buzzing my garage, another 3 dive bombing my deck umbrella, and a pair waiting in the wings.

Not to mention that yellow jacket (not a bee, but a kind of hornet) that decided to zip me while my friend Bubba D. Truk took care of some issues. (thanks Horatio, Bubba's got a 30 pack waiting for you any time)

no food coloring needed - not good for them---- and do clean the feeders well regularly as all sorts of things can grow in them and do in a whole flock of birds - Last year I had the feeders too close to the building - developed a mega beehive under the siding -this year they are not so close

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

Red food color is not necessary. They love sugar and water, 1 to 4 ratio. I microwave 4 cups water to boil and add 1 cup sugar. Stir and cool. Keep unused amount, if any, refridgerated. Fun to watch.

May '15

They don't need the food coloring as most of the feeders are red. That's what they are looking for.

Blackcat Blackcat
May '15

They love petunias. I keep petunias on the railing of my deck and get Hummingbirds all summer.

yep they're back!! Starting May 1, have had a few at feeders in front and back yard

pmnsk pmnsk
May '15

Put up our hummingbird feeder in its usual spot this year. The other day we had a visit from a bear who got not only into the garbage cans but climbed the trellis at the side of the house...trashed the hummingbird feeder completely to get at the nectar and torn down the gutter that the hummingbird feeder was attached to. Just a tip to be sure to put up your feeders where that will not happen to you.

joyful joyful
May '15

joyful, that must have been the same bear that visited me! I yelled at him and he went into my neighbors yard, went to his pond, went fishing and I guess then wandered up to your area. I bring my feeders in every night to avoid having to buy new ones once a month!

This was up pretty high, Iris...I never realized that a bear could climb like that...Now, I have to buy a new hummingbird feeder as he completely trashed the one I had.

joyful joyful
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.