Traffic lights at Exit 19 and 517

I just received a call from Assemblyman Space's office saying DOT says new traffic lights at Exit 19 of I-80 and Route 517 will start flashing Oct. 10 and become operational on Oct. 15, weather permitting. That is good news. Thanks to Assemblyman Space's
office for helping in this matter.

attsully attsully
Oct '14

Thanks for the update attsully, and being proactive.

It would better if they fixed the Potholes there too when you come off Route 80!

Edward PizzaEater Edward PizzaEater
Oct '14

I too thank you attsully. Also agree with BD's post under "Crash @Exit 19". Be very cautious, even when light is active, when turning left off exit ramp

luvlife
Oct '14

hopefully once this is completed someone can get the timing on the light at Grand and Main adjusted so more than 4-5 cars get through-- ridiculous and not just at 5pm

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Wait till the first snow/ice event!! Got an interest in a wrecker business ??
Get stopped if you can,lots of luck getting going again.

Oldtimer Oldtimer
Oct '14

Oldtimer, I do not understand your statement. It has always been a stop sign so why would snow and/or ice make a difference?

Christine Christine
Oct '14

Christine
The trucks heading north on 517 do not have a stop sign. They will get stuck at the light during a bad storm

Brad2
Oct '14

Would it be fair to assume that during inclement weather, the light would be adjusted to flashing yellow for 517, and red for the folks coming off the highway? I know when I used to travel to Cedar Knolls for work on Hanover Avenue, the lights at the bottom of the steep hill in Morris Township would be turned to flashing during snow storms so the cars with the most momentum wouldn't have to stop. Makes sense, no?

Tracy Tracy
Oct '14

Life is dangerous..................but I won't let that stop me............and......I can't wait for them to turn on that traffic light...............

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Christine: Brad gets the idea. A south bound truck better hit a green,because if he stops he could be there,period!! Having done ten years of wrecker service on that hill I only hope the jurisdiction (state/county) are on the salt big time at a hint of snow/ice. If not ,the language of the trucker will be hot enough to dry the entire hill!!

Oldtimer Oldtimer
Oct '14

They don't do it (flashing yellow) with the light at the top of the hill by quick check, many of times with the work van having to slide onto bilby because there was no way i was going to get going again if I stopped

Darrin Darrin
Oct '14

Hoping this alleviates rather than makes worse the backups on the ramp during the evening rush; it's been backing up all the way onto the highway almost past the scenic lookout turnoff - this is exceedingly dangerous for those on the shoulder as trucks whiz past at 70 mph.

Matt D Matt D
Oct '14

NJDOT is a failure at pretty much everything they do.

LJRubi LJRubi
Oct '14

Not a complete failure, just slow (or very slow) to respond at times. But they spend a lot of money, so we should get faster response to such issues as this (or cut the budget)...

Just look at traffic flow in NJ. Its pretty much impossible to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time on any given day. Construction projects take forever. Infrastructure crumbling and roadways that cannot handle the volume. Yet taxes are sky high and they want to take more. They even have those trucks that put on a light show for the sheep and cause even more traffic for the dummies that run out of gas or can't change a tire. Complete failure.

LJRubi LJRubi
Oct '14

Oct. 13 and the lights were not blinking at 04:30 this morning.

Dave S. Dave S.
Oct '14

I think I found the ministry of silly sidewalks in action across from the new light. 3 weeks ago they were working on the sidewalk across from the new light.

Today they are still working on it and seem to have half a dozen vehicles to help. Does it appear to anyone else that we now will have our "sidewalk to nowhere?" I think this sidewalk both starts and ends nowhere making me wonder:

who walks up that hill and, if they do, where are they going?
do they plan to sidewalk all the way to Panther Valley?
who walks down that hill and where are they going?
does the sidewalk actually lead to anywhere going downhill?
will the new sidewalk be handicapped accessible and will it have wheelchair safety runaway ramps?
==================
bottom line: is there any newshound that looks for bogus state money spent in silly fashions? I think NJ should know how we are spending their sidewalk money of this one. Maybe one of you can straighten me out, but it really seems like we have months of effort, lots of guys and equipment, to build a sidewalk that will never be used.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

They were blinking on Friday afternoon when I came home from work. A kind of weird red blinking red arrow. Then on Sunday they were off again.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '14

NJDOT engineers need to get out from behind their desks, pull up a chair to an intersection (or another other trouble spot) and OBSERVE AND TAKE NOTES AND STUDY AND FIX!

BlahBlahBouy
Oct '14

They are off today

Brad2
Oct '14

...then tomorrow...

BlahBlahBouy
Oct '14

@mistergoogle- I was in total agreement with you. A sidewalk at that location seemed like an absurdity. Yesterday I noticed they installed a guardrail along that stretch of what looked like a sidewalk. Pehaps the concrete is just an expensive method of keeping the weeds out.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Oct '14

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/616332

Everything you ever wanted to know about curb ramps and much, much more...

http://www.sdmunicipalleague.org/vertical/Sites/%7B2540DC39-A742-459F-8CAF-7839ECF21E89%7D/uploads/ADA_Municipal_League_Presentation.pdf

Since many cities and State DOTs have been successfully sued regarding accessibility issues in public rights-of-way, they have taken to installing these ramps everywhere, even if no sidewalk exists. They HAVE to install them if the intersection contains a pedestrian crossing signal, not sure if that applies in this case.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Iman, I think this sidewalk will start and stop at places called nowhere ---- dirt.

It's on one of the steepest hills in Warren County and that says a lot. I even wonder how they get the cement to set correctly given the pitch.

The thought of a wheelchair accessibility which may be the law even for sidewalks that come from no where and end up no where seemed beyond ridiculous to me. The veritable icing on a lunacy cake. Imagine our intrepid wheel chair-er going off-road just to reach this sidewalk that's on an extremely steep pitch and then going nowhere except to another patch of dirt just because it was accessible.

You can't even cross the street at this light; the other side is the off-ramp terminus.

Oct '14

That is an accident waiting to happen along with the new lane changes, really bad !

tangerine tangerine
Oct '14

Plastic bags back over the lights this afternoon

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Maybe they're afraid they may get wet!

John C John C
Oct '14

The traffic lights are flashing at the intersection today.

from
Oct '14

Initially the work along the curbs there make it appear that sidewalks were being put it. However, the concrete work there is actually a support base to anchor the new guard/guide rails that were just installed. Not a sidewalk.

This is a joke, how long will they continue to waste time (and taxpayer money) before they turn on the damn light!?

Chuck Chuck
Oct '14

Vic, Yupper, I drove by yesterday and saw the same thing; massive support system for massive guardrail. Guess that one vehicle that hit it in the last 25 years scared them.

Now if we could only spend that kind on money to protect us from safety issues with higher risks.

Oct '14

The lights were working yesterday but it was kind of a disaster. When we got the green arrow to turn left onto 517 the drivers on Old Hackettstown Rd continued to turn right on what I can only assume was a red arrow. They need a no turn on red sign.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Oct '14

Came through last night at 6:20 they were just blinking red both ways

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Yesterday night around 10pm the sign next to the light said that the signal would turn on 10/21 (today).

Chuck Chuck
Oct '14

MG,

Perhaps they're hoping this time it'll hold back another dump truck! :-)

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/192229

I was at the intersection last night at 5pm and the lights were just blinking on and off....right next to the sign that 10/21 saying it would be working. UGH.

mom of one mom of one
Oct '14

Just came through there,must've been at least 10 trucks,cars all NJDOT you name it....it was there,light is still blinking !

Normal procedure for turning on a new traffic light (at an intersection that never had one before) is to activate it to flash only for the first 4-5 days so that drivers who normally travel that route have their attention drawn to the new installation.

After several days of flashing the lights are then turned on to normal (green-yellow-red) operation.

In other words, this is probably normal.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '14

Just drove through there; light is up & running.

Went through at 3. Awesome. Just watch out for the idiot in front of you that doesn't get it. Green arrow left means you can go. Anybody going through at the height of rush hour let us know, just curious how it is.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '14

The traffic there was good tonight at rush hour. A very short wait as compared the usual backup all the way to Rt 80.

from
Oct '14

Traffic Stuck Light ALLAMUCHY EXIT 19 / OF RT 80 EB 10/22 2015

Oct '14

This light is terrible. I live on Johnsonburg Road, near the General Store. I saw that it has caused a lot of traffic! And confusion! I hate it. I understand it benefits the people coming off Route 80....but it is a huge inconvenience on the other end. Does anyone else hate it? Is it just me???

i'm_mad i'm_mad
Oct '14

omg - it just got turned on - give it a minute or two, people ---

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

I don't understand why I have to wait at the traffic light(red) and exit from 80 is also red, but whatever the other road got green,

Tinko Tinko
Oct '14

Yes there will now be traffic on 517. It's that road's turn! :-) If there is a truck going South that has to start going up the hill from a red...putt putt putt...traffic.

BlahBlahBouy
Oct '14

Maybe they should make it a flashing yellow/red most of the time, turning into a regular traffic light during rush hour times. No, on second thought, most people would be too stupid to realize it and cause even more accidents than there (apparently?) were to have the thing installed in the first place.

For the record, I've lived in the area (andover/newton/hackettsown) for 20 years, and have NEVER seen an accident at that intersection. I have seen TWO accidents on the ramp, both overturned tractor trailers.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '14

I was at the light coming home to Hackettstown on 517 and there was a long line of cars in all directions. Usually I sail right through. :(

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Oct '14

Kitkat , do what I did drove thru shell , you got a faster green light then if u stayed on 517, you are risking to get in trouble tough for doing this.

Tinko Tinko
Oct '14

Everyone said there will be problems with the light on 517 and Bilby but that has worked out much better. Give it time.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

It will work out, be patient

BrandyB BrandyB
Oct '14

Thanks Tinko I will try it tomorrow morning when I drive home. :)

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Oct '14

NJ 39:4-66.2. Avoidance of traffic control signal, sign; violations, penalties 1. Except for emergency vehicles and motor vehicles being operated at the direction of a law enforcement officer, no person shall drive a motor vehicle on public property, except public roads or highways, or private property, with or without the permission of the owner, for the purpose of avoiding a traffic control signal or sign.

Any person found guilty of violating the provisions of this act shall be liable for a penalty of not less than $50.00 or more than $200.00 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 15 days, or both.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Mark Mc, I was about to get gas at shell, but as soon as I pulled in, their prices were a little too high, so I decided to exit the gas station and get gas somewhere else, I'm not a lawyer,. but try me if you dare

Tinko Tinko
Oct '14

what Brandy said

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

I ripped on the DOT for how long it took to turn this light on, but I must say they ended up doing a fine job - went through from 80 at 5pm today with minimal wait (as opposed to the 10 min backup normally at that time).

Chuck L Chuck L
Oct '14

I don't have to try you Tinko... it would be your word vs. the State Police.

Who do you think would win? (With your confrontational attitude I'm sure the officers would be happy to find some other violation while you're stopped, even if they decided not to pursue the traffic signal avoidance.)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Huge improvement for those exiting 80 - past two evenings for me, minimal wait.. However, I did see someone coming down 517 (or is that up?) approaching the light - and had to skid to a stop - having failed to see the light apparently (!!!) - it had been red in her direction for at least 30 seconds - teen driver who was not attending to the road- so, it will take time to adjust as expected.

pmnsk pmnsk
Oct '14

I ride my motorcycle many weekends in that area. From what I can tell, I do not see any warning lights before the lights being constructed. I have seen these in other intersections and this area would be a great candidate for this.

I think if you drove by and did not notice the new light for a month or more, you would not notice the warning sign; there is a warning light board for the exit ramp.

I think on the down hill at the top of the hill this would be the perfect spot for a RED light ahead warning light. I would hate to clear the light above and be barreling down that hill with a full load to be surprised by a red on that grade. Probably save more lives than the mega guardrail.

Oct '14

Someone said that they've never seen an accident there.

Over the last twenty five years or so, I have seen at least six accidents there; several times people have been in the process of being loaded on squad vehicles; on a couple of occasions there have been people on the ground injured and being attended to.

Also, there have been at least two occasions where a vehicle has gone straight thru the stop sign(now a traffic light) and into the guardrail at the end of the exit ramp. One time it was one of those large dump trucks that they use during road construction. He pretty much destroyed the guardrail, it took a few weeks for it to be repaired. Perhaps that is why they strengthened it now?

Also, there was an accident this morning at the entrance to Route 80 East.

Those are just the accidents/aftermaths that I have seen, certainly there have been quite a few more.

Oct '14

"I think on the down hill at the top of the hill this would be the perfect spot for a RED light ahead warning light. I would hate to clear the light above and be barreling down that hill with a full load to be surprised by a red on that grade."

This would probably be tricky depending on how they have both lights timed.

It would only make sense to the driver if both lights are red at the same time, since there isn't much space between them and having a "Red Light Ahead" sign while the nearest light may still be green is just going to be confusing.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Smilingbecs quote: "The lights were working yesterday but it was kind of a disaster. When we got the green arrow to turn left onto 517 the drivers on Old Hackettstown Rd continued to turn right on what I can only assume was a red arrow. They need a no turn on red sign."

I was almost the second accident on 517 this morning because of this!! At 7:45 had the green arrow coming off 80 west to make the left onto 517 south and another driver disregarded the red light arrow on Old Hackettstown Rd and blew through my green light. Thankfully I glanced over to my right before turning onto 517 and saw the other car coming off Old Hackettstown Rd seemingly oblivious to all the new traffic control devices. Be careful out there folks!

"This would probably be tricky depending on how they have both lights timed."

Yeah, I think timing is important on most street light systems. Can't disagree with that one.

Oct '14

I live in the area and I agree something needed to be done over there but in the morning during school drop off, it has created unbelievable traffic. They definitely need to work on the timing of the lights.
When you go to turn left off of rt 517N to go down to the school, rt 517S has a green light as well so you can never really turn because you need to wait for the line of cars to go first. Which there was never a line of cars before the light was installed.
Unfortunately, the traffic lights have created way more traffic in the morning that was not there before.
Hope it gets better!

dhmom3 dhmom3
Oct '14

I saw someone apparently monitoring traffic and the light yesterday - hopefully some adjustments will be made where needed

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Re: Traffic lights at Exit 19 and 517

For me the new traffic lights are a success. Very little backup on the exit 19 west Rt 517 off ramp. I dont miss the traffic or accidents.

from
Oct '14

couldn't agree more!!! :-)

azgirl69 azgirl69
Oct '14

Vic, riding in the same area and a damn pickup truck did the same thing. They need to post no right turn on Red better on the road that comes from the Allamuchy General Store.

Heads up to red light runners, A State police trooper is watching you, this morning anyways,

I just want to say, why I still have a red light if I'm driving 517 north, when nobody makes left turn from old allmuchy road when they have green,

Tinkodinko Tinkodinko
Mar '15

well said.

Hector
Mar '15

I saw a couple drivers early Sunday morning (7:40AM) blow through the red light coming off Exit 19 West making the turn onto Rt 517 north. Just curious, where was the trooper parked to watch the intersection? Not too many places there I don't think to conceal yourself if you're a cop looking to catch red light runners.

@Vic yeah parked on the shoulder on 517 south bound near the traffic light,

That traffic light is a joke, I guess it s good when there's traffic coming off interstate 80.

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Mar '15

I guess they haven't done anything with the no turn on red coming from general store. Just got off exit 19. I had the left green arrow (4 cars ahead of me had already turned left). I was 3/4 of the way turning left with a car behind me turning and here comes this guy never even slowed making an illegal right on red. He forced me to stop, and yes I blew my horn only to wake him up. I guess he didn't notice any of us turning. Glad the driver behind me was alert. Nothing happened thank goodness. But someday something very bad IS going to happen. I feel that light is a blessing coming off 80 W. There should be a sign on both sides, very big and blinking, no turn on red.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.