Window Installation

Does anyone have experience installing new windows in their home - I currently have vinyl windows throughout, but of very low quality (builder grade). Cold air is very noticeable and they seem to not hide outside noise too well. Just wondering how big of a job it is to replace windows yourself - if you buy them from Home Depot. I want to remove the entire window frame - not a fan of keeping the same frame or renewal by Andersen. Thanks.

Oak HIll Resident Oak HIll Resident
Oct '14

Depending on a few factors, it isn't terribly difficult, but you do need to have some "home improvement" experience to deal with the details. My comments below assume you have a stick built house and not masonry (brick/stone).

You'll have to remove the interior molding and exterior siding to access the window frames. Vinyl windows are most likely nailed from the outside on a flange that fits against the exterior wall. That will be under some flashing/weather stripping (which of course needs to be replaced once new windows are installed.

With everything out, the opening in the house should be a simple box of 2x4's all around. The new windows will need to be made to fit this, minus a specified amount (1/2" to 1" per the manufacturer) to allow for leveling/shimming. Obviously you'll need to measure this opening before you remove the old windows since the custom sizes take some time to order/deliver (you should be able to do so by removing the interior molding).

Installing the new windows is simply a matter of lifting them in (could be a tricky job on ladders if they are heavy), shimming, and nailing per the instructions. Then it's some flashing tape, replace the siding, some low expansion great stuff to fill the gaps, and re-attach the molding.

I did most of the windows on my house with help from my dad and brother-in law. The only issue is my shake siding didn't reach all the way to the new window frames on the outside, as I was replacing large wood frames with slimmer vinyl frames. Just another little project to fill in the gaps, but if you have vinyl siding you could probably just cut new pieces.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

It depends. Sounds like you have a newer house, so not so much an issue but in older homes, it can get quite exciting if the house has some shift and some of the windows are racked. I only used slide-ins and did 6 the first day, 1 the second.....

This will get you started, give you some stuff to think about: http://www.dahp.wa.gov/sites/default/files/AHC_WindowRepairGUIDEBOOK.pdf.

PS --- try one before you buy some......

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

Thanks all - I saw some good videos on You Tube - quite informative - looks like the hardest part is cutting the outside window trim to fit.

Oak HIll Resident Oak HIll Resident
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.