New York Gets First Ebola Case

Figure it's time to start a new thread to help spread the histeria.

But don't worry he had limited contact with people because no one takes the subway, uses Uber, or goes to bowling alleys.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-23/new-york-gets-first-ebola-case-as-man-brought-to-hospital.html

radeo
Oct '14

And they are warning people not to "eat feces" that you may find.

I'm done with the news.

radeo
Oct '14

right there with you radeo --besides it has grown old(s) - not news--tired of hysteria and repeating of the same stuff over and over ---

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Maybe some doctors should have borders....

The thing that pi$$es me off is that this doctor went over to Africa to treat people with this disease. He then catches it and brings it back with him to possibly infect others with this disease. How can they allow this to happen?

JOKER
Oct '14

I find it baffling that the three or so people that he was in "close" contact with are being quarantined but HE was not after returning from treating those with the illness. That makes no sense to me.

littlelu littlelu
Oct '14

Warn the world..."You got 1 week to get home." Then shut er'down for 1 month. No travel. Military flights only. Yes it will hurt the economy a little but not as much as ebola could/is causing.

BlahBlahBouy
Oct '14

If Dr. Nancy Snyderman was quarantined for 21 days, why wasnt this guy?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '14

The problem is the term self quarantined. Don't worry I self quarantined, until they decide they need some soup or figure how bad could a subway ride or short bowling trip be.

fyi, just heard that apparently the reports of 103 degree fever should have been 100.3. No expert but that sounds pretty early to me, hopefully.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-craig-spencer-nyc-doctor-who-has-ebola-being-praised/

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

FYI - He followed all protocol checking his temp 2 times a day and reported immediately when he had the elevated temp and waited for EMS to take him to the hospital with full protective gear in place.

Unless people on the Subway and Bowling alleys have taken to swappin' spit there really is no cause for panic --- you're more likely to die of the flu than Ebola. --- Same drill wash your hands very well several times a day and cough into your elbow....

Look at the case two weeks ago NONE of the people in direct contact (other than the nurses) have contracted it --- If we got half as hysterical about Heart Disease, Diabetes and Cancer we'd be well on our way to a healthy population.

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '14

Once these Doctors Without Borders are done treating Ebola patients in Africa, they need to be quarantined IN Africa at the DWB facility for 21days. Then they can be allowed back to the US where they should be monitored for another 21 days. For people that come in direct contact with this disease to be so stupid is mindboggling to me.

And I agree there is a very small chance he gave this disease to the public but common sense has to prevail.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

+1 Darwin. Surprised that doesn't happen as a matter of course.

And I just found out I have a friend leaving for Sierra Leone tomorrow (with MSF). So worried about her.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

right, the selfless doctors who are volunteering their time to go over and fight the good fight should have a protocol announced to them that includes a 21 day wait over there before getting on a military flight (not commercial) that comes over here,

then be monitored not by themselves but by the cdc to catch any warning signs

we need to err on the side of caution, not just let everyone free-wheel it by themselves.

the Christian organizations who are funding / managing these help missions should implement these protocols ASAP

there is too much left up to the individuals to 'self-monitor', it's out of control , not in control, we need to err on the side of caution

btw, where is our new ebola czar on this issue? has anybody seen him today? anywhere? do we need to file a missing persons report?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

BD, so you think we need "bigger government" to take care of this? I just love the role reversals this particular topic is causing... very amusing.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

BD, no one is not appreicative of what the DWB are doing. But with this doc and the 2 nurses in TX, i'm sorry but those that come in direct contact with people with this disease should use a little more common sense. Getting airplanes, cruises, or going on the subway right after you have come in contact with the disease is probably the dumbest thing you can do.

So yea i'm all for having protocols in place for those that have come in direct contact of Ebola patients.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

"BD, so you think we need "bigger government" to take care of this? "

I think we need the government agencies that do exist to perform the roles they were originally intended to do. We shouldn't create more agencies.

That means *THIS* is the domain of the CDC, etc... while at the same time the CDC should stay out of the gun debate.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

no, no role reversal at all, what a simplistic throw back you hurl,

the president has already sent over the military and the national guard, they will have c130's making regular flights to re-supply them, on the return flights they can transport back the doctors and nurses who are retuning home. what's wrong with that?

the cdc already has a 'tiger' team set up, so using the resources already available is not advocating 'bigger' government. how absurd your quick reactions are without thinking them through at a deeper level.

fight it over there is good policy, not bigger government, they got all they need right now to make this happen.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

"That means *THIS* is the domain of the CDC, etc... while at the same time the CDC should stay out of the gun debate."

There's a HUGE guffaw in that bit of hypocrisy there.

I am all for changing the protocol to 21 day quarantine, even if "at home" after delivered by the hazmat team but have to laugh at personal responsibility being OK on one killer and not so OK even by a trained professional on Ebola. I know, I know, disease versus willful expression, personal choice, second amendment, la la la.

So we can't trust a Doctor to monitor himself but look at the level of trust with guns and the resultant carnage? Better just to stay on point versus these hypocritical comparisons.

Oct '14

BD, the CDC is already part of "bigger government"; I didn't say you were advocating "even bigger government".

But, we already have "health departments" on the local, county and state levels... aren't you always advocating eliminating the Federal "redundancies" such as Dept of Education and the EPA?

"there is too much left up to the individuals to 'self-monitor', it's out of control , not in control, we need to err on the side of caution"

Should we round them up and put them in the FEMA internment camps? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Darwin, I agree wholeheartedly with you for a change :)

These doctors should know better. How many people are loosing business and even closing for a time due to their arrogance.

LV Mom
Oct '14

ianimal, how about a quarantine at the source of infection for 21 days before allowing them back?

It seems like their humanitarian efforts stop at our border.

LV Mom
Oct '14

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/ny-police-caught-throwing-waste-ebola-scene-public-trash-cans

NY Police Caught Throwing Waste From Ebola Scene Into Public Trash Can

LV Mom
Oct '14

"ianimal, how about a quarantine at the source of infection for 21 days before allowing them back?"

LV Mom, I'm all for that and I believe I already suggested it, actually.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

"There's a HUGE guffaw in that bit of hypocrisy there."

It's hypocritical to think the Center for Disease Control should, oh I don't know, control *diseases*?

Would you prefer the BATFE start screening for fevers?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

"LV Mom, I'm all for that and I believe I already suggested it, actually."

I thought so but your post to BD threw me off. My apologies.

LV Mom
Oct '14

ian; you didn't get what i posted, at all, please go back and reread my suggestions,

21 days over there while still in country, then hoping a ride back on the already deployed and returning c130 cargo crafts the military is already using.

what's wrong with that? seems practical and smart.

there is public health concern with retuning aid workers who are not being careful enough, and protocols need to be adjusted,

just look at he last few weeks at what's happened

btw, where is our new ebola czar on this issue? has anybody seen him today? anywhere? do we need to file a missing persons report?

on what planet does this doctor think going to a public bowling alley is ok? did he use one their balls? did he use the common shoes that they spray that mop&glow stuff into and then just hand out to the next chump? that whole place needs to be de-loused now.

another question is did he have an intimate encounter with his fiance upon his return? is she going to come down with symptoms? doesn't he love her enough to leave hands off for the required incubation period? or does his selfish needs trump all concerns for her health and well being? maybe she needs to re-evaluate the relationship.

it's the carelessness and lack of concern for potential outcomes that is the most troubling, and this is from a Doctor!

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

"it's the carelessness and lack of concern for potential outcomes that is the most troubling, and this is from a Doctor!" BrotherDog

I couldn't agree more. And from doctors who have experienced it firsthand.

LV Mom
Oct '14

You know what "they" say... doctors make the worst patients.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

You're right Mark, if you only think about half of what you said, there is no hypocrisy.

Oct '14

"if you only think about half of what you said, there is no hypocrisy."

So why? Because I've referenced CDC reports in the past to prove you wrong?

Just because I don't think they *should be* involved doesn't mean they *haven't* been involved, and I'll use the data that's available. If I didn't have it from the CDC there's plenty from the FBI.

You have suggested that they start getting involved in making policy decisions, but that would be just as ludicrous as the CDC recommending speed limits, driver's licensing requirements, etc. simply because they happen to aggregate the report data for how many car accident injuries there are per year. I guess we can dissolve the DOT and NHTSA then, right? After all, that would be a step towards smaller government.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/24/new-york-new-jersey-set-up-mandatory-quarantine-requirement-amid-ebola-threat/

New York, New Jersey Set Up Mandatory Quarantine Requirement Amid Ebola Threat
Christie: New Policy Has Already Been Used At Newark Liberty International Airport
October 24, 2014 5:00 PM

The patients with the highest level of possible exposure will be automatically quarantined for 21 days at a government-regulated facility. Those with a lower risk will be monitored for temperature and symptoms, Cuomo explained.
The New York and New Jersey health departments will determine their own specific procedures for hospitalization and quarantine, and will provide a daily recap to state officials on the status of screening, New York State Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker said at the news conference

LV Mom
Oct '14

Still hypocrisy. I never suggested that the CDC make policy decisions, but they do all the time or at least recommendations. But your hypocrisy is heightened when you look at all the things CDC does provide recommendations for, some of which are policy decisions, others lead directly to policy decisions.

While the primary definition of disease is that which adversely affects human structure or function, a broader definition is "a particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people" like Calico's posts :>) (just kidding).

Therefore, amongst other non structure/function disease affectations of humans, the CDC has looked at:

Policy recommendations for child car seats, what a contlict with DOT and NHTSA.

Recommendations for family planning services, including "contraceptive services, pregnancy testing and counseling, helping clients achieve pregnancy, basic infertility services, preconception health services, and sexually transmitted disease services." OMG they're controlling our sex lives.

Risk behaviors for youth including those leading to violence. Now they're parenting!

Measures to prevent diseases from animals kept in public spaces. Oh, just leave it to the zoos. They're not even HUMAN.

Community strategies to prevent obesity. Man, even gonna tell communities how to force people to be thin.

Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Sounds like big brother to me.

Prevalence and Characteristics of Sexual Violence, Stalking, and Intimate Partner Violence Victimization. Do you see disease here?

Effects on Violence of Laws and Policies Facilitating the Transfer of Youth from the Juvenile to the Adult Justice System. Oh jailor.......

The point is that the CDC studies he broad spectrum of what causes morbidity in America. However, they are precluded even from JUST RESEARCHING gun morbidity by the vast lobbying efforts of the NRA. Can't even conduct ANY primary research.

The last study they did, from secondary sources only, was this year using 2014 data from 16 states only. SIXTEEN ONLY. 2010 DATA. The CDC National Violent Death Reporting System or NVDRS uses secondary sources and STILL requires state approval, just only 16 states comply so far. But no primary research.

However they found: "Suicides (n = 10,167; 62.8% of total) accounted for the highest rate of violent deaths (12.4 per 100,000 population) followed by homicide/legal-intervention (n = 3,949; 24.4% of total) deaths (4.8 per 100,000 population)"

"Firearms accounted for 49.6% of included deaths"

And yes, recommendations were made, policy was made based on the results.

But not for guns, nope, we don't want to know the truth. Matter of fact, some hypocrites believe "the CDC should stay out of the gun debate." I mean it's only 50% of the violent deaths in the most recent CDC review. No need to understand that versus less than a handful of Ebola cases.

Oct '14

So heck, let's get rid of every other organization.

Apparently the CDC can do it all! Imagine the savings!

Do you want them to cut your food into bite size pieces for you, because it seems you sure love yourself some "how to live your life" advice from big brother.

(I've also posted links in the past that even some higher-ups in the CDC itself opposed research into the gun issue, so good try with the NRA boogey man logic.)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

I have a question, actually 2 questions. If someone is "quarantined for 21 days at a government-regulated facility" who pays for "room and board"? Is this person on paid leave or unpaid leave or on disability?

Hagedorn in Lebanon Twp to be used as a quarantine facility.

"People who are detained may be placed in quarantine facilities, which in New Jersey could include Sen. Garret Hagedorn Psychiatric Hospital in Lebanon, which closed in 2012, and possibly the three hospitals designated as Ebola treatment centers in the state. They are Hackensack University Medical Center, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick and University Hospital in Newark".

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/nj-ny-announce-new-ebola-quarantine-policy-1.1117698#sthash.yXRBJMao.dpuf

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Oct '14

The fact that the NRA has successfully lobbied to stop the CDC from conducting primary research into gun violence morbidity remains whether others join their fight or not.

And you toss the "do you want government to control everything" versus personal responsibility red herring moral argument whenever it suits you as another piece of hypocrisy.

On one hand you want the CDC to clamp down as hard as possible at the first sight of someone with Ebola but with 30,000 violent gun deaths per year, it's too much government to consider conducting primary research as to the issue. Heck, you can't even see an issue. That's the hypocrisy you highlighted when you said:

"That means *THIS* is the domain of the CDC, etc... while at the same time the CDC should stay out of the gun debate."

But keep tossing out the strawman arguments and soon thanks to your diversion into guns.....again, we can jump the shark on this thread as well. It is you modus operandi.

Oct '14

How many of our healthcare workers are over in w Africa and how will they be returning? How many healthcare workers have already returned that we just don't know about because they did not contract the virus? I have family to be traveling to visit in different parts of the world. What if one healthcare worker doss not think they are contagious and get on a 15 hour flight in which the person develops a fever? I think we are putting a lot of trust in people to take their own precautions. Doctors and healthcare workers are after all human. All it takes is one person to think they are ok and get on a long flight.

It sounds like the "NY-NJ rules" will require a mandatory quarantine for anyone returning to the US that was exposed to Ebola (i.e. healthcare workers). About time!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.