Personal treatment experiences w Joan Knechel Ct

Would appreciate any and all thoughts...received devastating news today and trying to evaluate the closest/most successful lung cancer treatment centers close to our area. Due to numerous circumstances, trying to stay close to our area with the best care as possible. Personal experiences with Joan K. center at HRMC? Open to other success stories on Lung Cancer at other hospitals, but really need to try and keep as close as possible to Hackettstown. We are devastated and just trying to gather info other at this point.

Tiger Parent
Oct '14

I have no input regarding Joan Knechel, however I want to wish you the best. I'm very sorry to hear you are going through this. Good luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

I'd only consider Morristown, Hackensack, and any connected with Sloan Kettering - wishing you the best

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

My wife was treated twice at Joan Knechel. Once for colorectal cancer and once for a spot on her lung requiring partial removal. The chemo and radiation therapy was easy to schedule, the people were wonderful, the treatment excellent. When she was on chemo I would spend the day with her in a private room while she was attended to by extremely caring people. I often had lunch with her and even though I was supposed to pay not being a patient they always let it slide. It's only a little thing but it shows the depth of the sympathy they have for people going through a terrifying time in their lives. I wish you the best and hope all goes well with your treatment. My wife has been cancer free since treatment there,

There is also something else to consider with where treatment is given. Depending on the type and length of chemo\radiation therapy it totally saps your strength. A ride to Morristown or Hackensack would be a burden on the cancer patient who will have to endure the long rides to and from treatment. I know when my wife was under treatment the short car ride home and the ability to rest soon after the treatment at home with loved ones to care for her were invaluable to her ability to fight the disease. The choice will ultimately be yours but the cost physically and emotionally of long car rides is something to consider.

I completely agree with MK...When I was diagnosed with breast cancer over 10 years ago, HRMC did not have the Oncology Unit (Joan Knechel Center) that is available now. I had to travel many miles away to Sloan Kettering to receive my treatments. It was during the winter months and many days through snow and ice to get there. I have many friends and family who have used the services of HRMC Cancer center since, however, and have heard nothing but wonderful reports with the care and success stories from their going there for their cancer treatments. I wish your wife the very best with this journey in her life.

joyful joyful
Oct '14

I have no personal experience on any place for treatment. Just sending a little hope and good thoughts your way. Good Luck.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Wishing you the best, I know how it feels to have cancer.

I have been going to Sloan for 4 years and am very happy!!

Summer Summer
Oct '14

Dr. Baines at Sloan Kettering in NYC. He is great!

Sport
Oct '14

You do not have to go to NYC for chemo/radiation. That can be done In Basking Ridge.

Sport
Oct '14

I have used both, would vote Morristown over H-town. Have used H-town for "routine" stuff like radiation treatment, still was not 100% impressed.

Used Morristown for diagnostic and much treatment; they were very good, even helped with processing insurance and answering insurance questions. The basically did the paperwork even felt like they were doing the paperwork I usually had to do. So much more than just a good treatment experience.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

I went to Morristown Oncology in Carol Simon wing for breast cancer treatment in 2001 finishing radiation in 2002. Treatment was wonderful however the winter I was going was very mild and never had a bad experience with the weather or had the need to cancel any appointments. I thought about some of the awful winters we have had lately and whether I would stay closer to home and I would have to consider it. I had 37 treatments of radiation and needed to be there 5 days a week, weekends off. I know it is an awful time for you with so many decisions to make.but you are doing the right thing by asking for info. Good luck with your decision and above all, do what you feel is right for you.

justwondering justwondering
Oct '14

I would ask three questions...........Who has the most experience treating my condition?
What do they recommend for me? What is their success rate? These would be higher on my personal priority list than convenience.

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

I agree with Joyful. I, too, had to travel to Denville for chemo and then to Dover every day for radiation treatment in 2001. It was very tiring. I have friends who used HMRC and were very pleased with their treatment there. However, when I discovered I had kidney cancer in 2009, I went to RWJ in New Brunswick as it was a very extensive surgical procedure.
Like 5catmom said, I would ask a lot of questions at both facilities and make your decision based on what is best for you.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers and if you ever need to talk, please pm me.

Of course your three questions are important but the stress part of the treatment should also be considered. Any diagnosis of cancer comes with stress and wanting to be treated in the best, accessible place should also be important. I know for me, my goal was to get to the finish line as quickly as possible with the least amount of interuptions. Stressing out over the rough drive to treatment or the need to cancel a treatment would also be important. I am just giving my thoughts.

Oct '14

Justwondering: that's how we ended up doing the "routine" stuff at H-town. Primary care was still Morristown, we just got the radiation locally.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

"These would be higher on my personal priority list than convenience."
At some point of treatment you will have no choice but to rely on someone else driving you to doctor appointments, tests, treatments or be with you if you are admitted for surgery. Not every one has someone to drive you when it's needed. My family members went thru a couple of cancer treatments at different NJ facilities (Hackensack, Robert Wood Johnson, Sloan Kettering when it was in Denville/Dover) and if I might need to go thru treatment, I would think about convenience first. You can check bio of doctors in Hackettstown, they are very impressive. I will not deny that Memorial Sloan in Basking Ridge is the best diagnostic and treatment cancer facility in NJ but if you cannot get into this place - how good it's for you?

Forgot to mention - you always can get a second opinion for diagnostic, biopsy, or treatment at any facility, including Memorial Sloan Kettering. It's covered by all insurances.

Thanks Mistergoogle. Food for thought if, God forbid, need arises again.

Oct '14

I remember reading an article a while back that Hackettstown and Hackensack were now affiliated and that one of the first initiatives the hospital was going to have was their oncology department. Not sure if this is still the case, but could help with your decision

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.