*Update for cop killer in Pennsylvania

http://6abc.com/ Eric frein is in custody!!

townie1 townie1
Oct '14

Excellent!

hapiest girl
Oct '14

Very glad to hear this. Glad they took him alive as well. Let him sweat on death row.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Took long enough!!!! Wonder how many taxpayer dollars it cost?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '14

"Wonder how many taxpayer dollars it cost?"

So now these state troopers can allocate their 1000 person manhunt team to search for the killers of the approximately 48 people that have been murdered in Philadelphia since the Eric Frein search started... right? Anyone?

Oh nevermind... they just offer a $40K reward and wait for tips to be phoned in.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Seems as though they got in at least one good punch! Yea!

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '14

Why so bitter Mark? Police used to pick on you?

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

You think they would have put that much time, money and effort for someone else ?

Rambo
Oct '14

Photo of him in a police car:
http://wrnjradio.com/wrnj-news-department/2014/breaking-news-eric-frein-has-been-captured/

ooonoo ooonoo
Oct '14

No Bruin, just expecting the same level of service for the people that actually pay their salaries.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

No, and I wouldn't expect them to. Mess with the protectors of society, and the response will be overwhelming, as I would expect it to be.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

Protectors of soceity?? Really ? that's funny.

Rambo
Oct '14

"Mess with the protectors of society."

Too bad they have no legal duty to protect anyone.

If anything they should expend MORE effort to bring killers of innocent people to justice, considering everyday citizens did not intentionally accept the risk that police officers do when they sign up for what they KNOW is a dangerous job (relatively speaking).

I just don't get why police always get a pass when they clearly exemplify their thinking that they are more important than the public they *serve*.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Agree with mark. Nothing good can from the police seeing themselves as better than their neighbors. Leaving the hero worship aside for a moment, consider that equality is not something to be applied arbitrarily. If you feel otherwise perhaps you may want to think about why that is...

Justintime Justintime
Oct '14

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

So what is the answer? Maybe they should have just given up looking for him after a couple days? That would probably just embolden more yahoo's to shoot cops. I guess that would make all the cop haters on this board happy? Just wondering.

Redwing
Oct '14

That was quick Redwing. I can never understand the "cop haters" retort. It's not true by any means at all, so why throw something like that around?

To answer your question, of course law enforcement should do their job. Thats the point, they ARE doing their job. If they can do it for Frein why can't they do it for every other crime that LE's are responsible for solving?

Justintime Justintime
Oct '14

I would imagine there is a lot of celebration happening right now!

I just hope they don't overdo the celebration, and allow the "Jerk" the opportunity to escape! ...

Embryodad Embryodad
Oct '14

I don't hate any cop that does their job properly with no bias, favoritism, or infringement of private citizen's rights (all of which happened in the Frein case).

The problem is, just because someone puts on a pair of dark blue pants, it doesn't magically erase their human faults. If someone is an A-hole out of uniform, there should be no reason to expect that they will not be an A-hole in uniform.

Usually, I try not to deal with A-holes, but the problem is one of them who happens to be wearing the dark blue pants has a lot more leeway to ruin my life with no repercussions, so pardon me if I expect them to be held to a higher standard.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

Well said Bruin.

Solving crimes is about prioritization and from my standpoint making every effort to catch the rabid animal that walks into police barracks intent on murder is a top priority. Prioritization happens with other crimes (i.e. serial killers) but that doesn't mean everything else is forgotten.

So Bonv, are you saying premeditated murder isn't really murder unless it's done to a police officer? Dead is dead, no matter ones profession in life. Right?

Justintime Justintime
Oct '14

"I don't hate any cop that does their job properly with no bias, favoritism, or infringement of private citizen's rights (all of which happened in the Frein case)."

Where was the bias, favoritism and infringement of rights? I must have missed the Faux News story on this. Please explain that to me. Thanks.

JT-You're right I apologize for saying cop haters. It's more like authority haters. My bad.

Redwing
Oct '14

Really, I need to explain the bias and favoritism? 1000 cops searching for one killer, just because the victim was a cop. Compare that to almost ANY OTHER murder investigation where the killer is still on the loose. Actually, just show me ONE OTHER case where 1000 cops were involved in a search for a single private citizen's killer.

Let's see, who's rights were violated. Maybe the guy that had his ribs broken just because he was walking down the street. Maybe the homeowners that had unwarranted searches performed inside their homes and were restricted from returning to them.

What does Fox News (or Republican/Democrat) have to do with this?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

JIT – odd interpretation. Simply put - police departments across the Country spend invaluable resources to help find criminals (not just premeditated murderers) and these resources are prioritized based on many factors (threat against the community, etc...). The nature of Frein’s crime (not solely that he murdered a PO) combined with the danger that he posed to the community justify all of the resources spent on his capture.

"police departments across the country spend invaluable resources to"...

...do alot of things, some of which unfortunately include bullying, intimidation, brutality....

And no, I'm not anti-cop. But I call out bad cops as bad cops. And I also recognize cops are no "better" than anyone else, and do not believe in higher penalties for crimes against them than for crimes against anyone else.

Just like I don't believe in so-called "hate crimes" against gays or people of color (whatever color that may be).

And I don't believe in federal elected officials having a golden healthcare policy and golden parachute for life that we pay for. They aren't royalty. We don't have royalty in this country (or aren't supposed to).

Oct '14

+1 MarkMc.

Glad they got him. 5 states involved and it took this long? Wow! SMH!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

Reports say $1M per week? How long were they looking for this guy?!?!?

Oct '14

7 weeks.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Too long

Oct '14

Yeah, I'm sure you would have had him in a week. You're hired! They really need to start recruiting all the great talent from this forum.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

I wonder if they've reinstated the trick-or-treating that they had cancelled. The kids up there have been through a lot the last two months. Give them something fun to do.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Last week I read that the total amount spent so far was roughly around 11.4 million dollars, so who knows what the final total amount spent was though.

villani villani
Oct '14

Ianimal, I heard on the radio this morning that trick or treating was reinstated.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Oct '14

I'm glad to hear the kids with get to have fun.

Can trick-or-treat really be "canceled" legally? So if you were to take your kids around your immediate neighborhood, can you get arrested? Fined? I would think it's basically a suggestion to not trick-or-treat. I'm not trying to be silly, I really would like to know the answer.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Calico,

trick-or-treat WAS cancelled 3 years ago when we had the huge power-grid destroying ice storm!

Well, not cancelled.... but postponed.

Oct '14

I remember the storm quite well JR. LOL We were without power for a week.

I guess my point was, who is to say it's canceled or postponed? Are the local municipal officials the boss of holiday traditions? It's not like canceling school due to inclement weather. Can they cancel Thanksgiving? Do not under any circumstances roast a turkey or bake a pumpkin pie or you will face the consequences! Hey you....drop the cornucopia and put your hands on your head! ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

"I guess my point was, who is to say it's canceled or postponed? Are the local municipal officials the boss of holiday traditions?"

Maybe trick-or-treating is technically a violation of anti-soliciting laws unless approved by the local governing body? LOL, just a guess...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Here you go, Calico... one more reason to move to North Carolina:

http://www.wral.com/when-is-halloween-friday-oct-31/13966324/

Raleigh: The city does not set trick-or-treating day and hours. Trick-or-treaters will be out Oct. 31.
Cary: The town does not dictate when Halloween is. Trick-or-treaters will be out Oct. 31.
Durham: The city doesn't take a position on when Halloween is celebrated. Trick-or-treaters will be out Oct. 31.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Lol. The statements in NC are probably s response to former NJ & PA residents asking when trick or treat is. Dumb arse yankees!

LOL maja, probably.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Lehigh Valley Live has some coverage of yesterday's arraignment:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2014/10/eric_frein_paraded_for_public.html#incart_hbx#incart_best-of

well its not like they tracked him down and caught him. They sorta just bumped into him at a old airport. only 30 miles from original crime. Maybe a great effort wasn't made to catch him, do to crime against cop. most likely just a bunch of guys getting over payed to hang around PA. You know, the same effort as if it was just a crime against you or I. could of sent 30 day laborers into those woods for 75 bucks a day. they most likely would of found him the first day. they are hard working smart people. Who dont catch a easy break in the states.

"Lehigh Valley Live has some coverage of yesterday's arraignment: "

Pretty much the only thing I notice in those pictures is the goofy chin straps that PA troopers have on their hats.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

hmmm, wonder how he got all the cuts on his face

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

The police are very clear as to how he got the cuts on his face. Their explanation makes sense.

"the officers forced Frein to look straight down at the asphalt, during which time he sustained the cuts."

.....right......

not, that i care, I think it is great, i would of liked to seen him beaten so bad he had to be wheeled into court

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Nice Darrin. I like how you would dispense with the law when it's inconvenient or when you're pissed off. Or should I say when your emotions get the best of you?

The next time someone says that human beings are more civilized today than in years past I'll just point them to your post. I mean, what the heck - let's just start beating the crap out of each other (or better yet killing each other like Frein did, right?) vigilante style every time we're pissed off. Doing what you want pretty much means you're no better than he is if you think you can harm someone just because you don't like them. He killed someone because of it, but you only want to beat him to a pulp. But if it makes you *feel* better it's OK, right?

SMH

justintime justintime
Nov '14

so let me get this straight jit, you are all for protecting Frein and giving him a lovely life of pampering and protection because he for some reason deserves it?

I will tell you straight up, anyone who murders another human being, yes, deserves to have his face drug on the asphalt, and that's the least of it

"I like how you would dispense with the law when it's inconvenient or when you're pissed off"
Pretty sure Frein dispensed of the law when he MURDERED a human being.....I am all for do onto others as they do onto you, this guy killed another human, and you want to protect him?

Don't try to turn my post into something it wasn't

SMH

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

sorry - I am quite frankly surprised that this subject did not experience extrajudicial punishment - which he did not in this case - I am with Darrin

skippy skippy
Nov '14

Protect Frein? Hell no. He made his choices and will deal with the consequences - via our *legal system* - not from above-the-law police or types like you who share Frein's same desire to inflict harm, on your own and against someone you despise, outside the legal system.

Really, how can you type what you did - the desire to inflict all sorts of harm on another person because of their actions - knowing that the person you are directing your anger toward did the same *exact* thing, he took his anger out on others with whom he held a hatred? Sure you won't actually act on your hatred, thankfully, and that makes you better than Frein, but other than that what's the difference? Two people both having a hatred and wanting to inflict harm because of it. He acted on his hatred and WILL be punished for it. I sincerely hope you never act on yours, otherwise you will be him.

My comments have nothing to do with Frein being punished, he should be. They are about doing to him the same barbaric things he did to others. Sounds like a bit of moral confusion if you ask me...

justintime justintime
Nov '14

Your "feelings" are exactally why why have cold blood killers, child rapists, and mass murderers living a worry free life, given a warm place to stay, and food to eat even though what they did was so un human. I am all for doing onto these people as they did to others through the judicial system, and i am not afraid to say it.

Jit, you try to make me out for a bad guy, but my reason for feeling this was is the fact that the guy we are talking about took away sombodys life, its not any random person like you make it seem. You try to make it seem barbaric, but not too long ago we used the death penalty on people like this, and i heard inital talk they were going to use it on frein.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

How long before any kind of trial commences? Is the Boston bomber on trial? I am weary of the legal manipulations that go on until justice can be served .

A good day
Nov '14

Have we ever though about the possibility that the reason the US has such high murder rates and crime rates is because of how *humane* our justice system is? I mean face it, you can practically get away with murder as long as you are okay with living your life in jail, you will be given food and a warm place to sleep.

People need to stop ridiculing people for their opinions and stick to the topic at hand. Saying you disagree is one thing but trying to make someone look bad simply because you disagree with their opinions is pushing it. There is better ways to go about this.

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

"Have we ever though about the possibility that the reason the US has such high murder rates and crime rates is because of how *humane* our justice system is?"

I'm all for bringing back public hangings.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

I want to start stoning witches again. No need to worry ! I'm able to tell a real witch from someone just being railroaded through our system. so it will work out fine.

"Pretty sure Frein dispensed of the law when he MURDERED a human being.....I am all for do onto others as they do onto you, this guy killed another human, and you want to protect him? "

So, you are a staunch defender of the Constitution when it suits you, but when it doesn't, you would throw it away as an inconvenience and resort to "biblical" justice?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

"Well, they'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good
They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home
Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned."

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

ianimal, where in the constitution does it say no death penalty?

Biblical? The death penalty was last used in PA in 1999, far from biblical times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_in_Pennsylvania

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Darrin - He's talking about the 5th and 6th Amendments in the Bill of Rights.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."

Like it or not, everyone has these rights, even those accused of murder.

Should he be found guilty, fry him, hang him, or shoot him as the states allow, but until then we can't pick and choose which rights are applied or not applied to any one individual - especially since we're constantly advocating for the preservation of the 2nd Amendment.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I have no problem with the death penalty. The death penalty is fine and dandy once he's tried and convicted of a crime. You seem perfectly willing to forego the Constitutional rights of the accused up until that point, though...

"not, that i care, I think it is great, i would of liked to seen him beaten so bad he had to be wheeled into court"

"I will tell you straight up, anyone who murders another human being, yes, deserves to have his face drug on the asphalt, and that's the least of it"

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

i'm surprised the police didn't shoot him when they found him.more tax dollars going up in flames for a lawyer to defend him for the next 10 years.

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

This part of the bill of rights have been turned into a JOKE
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '14

Not just that one part Old Gent...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

I agree tunnelrat!

Nov '14

Mark, thank you for explaining it respectfully, and like a adult, and yes I now understand what most were trying to talk about, but most wanted to spend more time bickering and insulting then explaining, i do agree with what you said, and I thank you.

I guess the fact that he shot a police officer and many other law enforcers saw this happen was enough that I felt he was guilty

Darrin Darrin
Nov '14

Hey, we all have emotions, and sometimes they get the better of us.

The evidence in this case is strong against Frein, and were he exhibiting violence against the police at the time of capture then I wouldn't hesitate to say that they would be justified in applying force back. But, he was captured "peacefully" and is still an "innocent" person protected by the rights that all of us are entitled to - despite their degradation from years of disrespect of the Constitution (that doesn't make it right, just a fact of life).

If anyone is going to be an absolutist on any individual Bill of Rights amendment, then they should be an absolutist on ALL of the amendments (valid warrants, due process, fair trials, etc.). Otherwise we're just living where the mob mentality and majority rules - not in a Constitutional Republic.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

i don't pretend to be a tracker but i would think if i am looking for someone, i would check abandon building and i don't know maybe an abandon airport hanger first before i went foot by foot thru the woods. How do they not search buildings like this for so long. I get that it was 30miles away from the shooting but it seems from air they would have been able to see it as a high priorty spot to search.

https://gma.yahoo.com/inside-abandoned-hangar-where-eric-frein-captured-175200122--abc-news-topstories.html

" Listen up, ladies and gentlemen! Our fugitive has been on the run for 90 minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is 4 miles an hour which gives us a radius of 6 miles! What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at 15 miles! Our fugitive's name is Dr. Richard Kimble. Go get him."

darwin darwin
Nov '14

And yes i am playing Monday morning quarterback,

but i would think the first thing they would do is go over all the know abandon cabins, buildings, hangers in the area and put spotters on those. He wasn't hiding in the woods the whole time, if ever.

darwin darwin
Nov '14

"What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. "

I know it's a movie quote, but technically that violates the 4th Amendment (not that it stops police from doing this).

Unless there is probable cause to search a specific house (in which case specific warrants are needed) or the police *observe* a felony in progress (i.e. harboring a fugitive) they aren't allowed to just walk into everyone's home. Sure, you can "let" them in, but you can also, legally, tell them to pound sand.

That's why some people in PA may have a good civil case coming up...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

darwin - They searched a couple of hundred buildings just like that first all of which aren't very visible from the air. Abandoned Buck Hill Inn alone is over a hundred acres and much nearer where Frein lived. That's what people not from that area don't understand, the magnitude of the search area and all the caves and crevices.

I agree with Darwin. Abandoned buildings should have been searched immediately, because no way he was living in the wilderness all this time. And took way too long to capture him. JMO!

Nov '14

i get that there are a ton of abandon buildings GC, and i get how large of an area it was. However when i see videos like the one posted in the other thread of what looked like fifty armed military police walking side by side it kind of seem like a real stupid way of searching. tracking this guy was not the best way to find him.

darwin darwin
Nov '14

I agree with GC. I know the area some what. I was following the trail. It seemed to me the sightings were right and they seemed to lead over to the camp. Don,t forget they saw him before he did them. I feel it was a good thing the feds got him and not an adrenaline filled State Trooper.I don't think he was their very long.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.