Budd Lake Bagel coming to Hackettstown

In casual conversation this morning, the owners of Budd Lake Bagel (on route 46) mentioned they were adding a new location. They are taking over and will transform Golden Skillet.

Sweetums Sweetums
Nov '14

Interesting......I like them. I wonder what kind of impact that will have on Hot Bagels Abroad?

However, I must say, the best bagel I have had in the area was in Long Valley. The bottom of Schooleys Mt.......The converted gas station.

theres a bagel shop down the street . we need something DIFFERENT.

mommajoe mommajoe
Nov '14

That is close to piggys for competition but if they keep the drive thru that would be nice.

So it can no longer be Budd Lake Bagel. lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '14

Sooooooo many bagel shops in the area. Yuck! We need a good steak house. Like Lone Star

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Nov '14

"So it can no longer be Budd Lake Bagel. lol"

It's going to flood out so often, they should name it Trailer Park Lake Bagel...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

A good steak house, like Lone Star?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

How about another taco bell?

dsl1029 dsl1029
Nov '14

Longhorn! Lol. Its been one of those Mondays. Got snow on my mind.

Taco bell coming to Comfort Inn, Rt 57 Mansfield

Nov '14

As someone who grew up on Sara Lee frozen bagals, I love all the bagal shops in this area, Hot Bagels abroad and Valley Deli and would love another choice, sadly, none of them are convince for my commute.

I'd kill to see a Fridays, Five Guys, and a Wawa come to hackettstown. A good steakhouse would be the icing on the cake ianimal.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Nov '14

There is a Lone Star in Easton, Pa ianimal. Haha! But I did mean Longhorn.

Nov '14

I know. Neither of them are especially "good" though. You can get the same or better steaks from ShopRite. But, they're perfectly fine for what they are and I've eaten at both more than once.

Personally, I prefer Texas Roadhouse as far as chain steakhouses go, just because they actually get some "off-menu" steaks that you can select from the refrigerator case.

A bunch of friends and I went to Blue Grillhouse between Easton and Bethlehem last Saturday night. The steaks were amazing, the Oysters Rockefeller were perfection and the bourbon pours were generous... of course, the bill was also north of $1,300 for 11 people, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Oh, got cha. Im having brain f**ts today.

Nov '14

"However, I must say, the best bagel I have had in the area was in Long Valley. The bottom of Schooleys Mt.......The converted gas station."

Wow, IMO that is the worst bagel shop in the area. I would take a slice of cardboard over their bagel anyday.

sack
Nov '14

Have you tried it recently? I heard a lot of bad reviews when they first opened, but I went 2 weeks ago, after someone told me they got much better, and I thought it was excellent. It was extremely busy too.

Piggy"s has the best Bagels, plus the place very clean,and all of there products are name brand! Opening by the river should be a hard nut to crack,that place floods.I'll stick with Piggy"s, just saying!

$1,300.00 for 11 people is that a typo? That is over $118.00 per person. I hope that included a couple of lap dances.

ignatz ignatz
Nov '14

Lol, ignatz

Nov '14

I thought Blue was more of a seafood place. $118 is pretty pricey unless you had a ton of alcohol (but Blue is a pretty expensive joint.) Peter Luger's cost me $90 but that included more appetizers (mmm...I can smell and taste that slab bacon right now) than 7 guys should be allowed to eat and a lot of alcohol.

Now, Lone Star/Long Horn are probably one step up from the Ponderosa and Sizzler. It is surprising that we don't have a better selection of steakhouses around Hackettstown given how many people are meat and potatoes-type folks.

Piggy's bagels are very good. I prefer them over Hot Bagels. Never heard or seen this Budd Lake Bagels place. Competition is good for the consumer.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Budd Lake Bagels are my favorite bagels! I would love to see them in that location. I am not a fan of either place nearby.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '14

I agree Tracy! Haha.

We definitely need a Chik-Fil-A in Hackettstown.

Sweetums Sweetums
Nov '14

Reading this..... I can go for an everything bagel sliced; buttered, and fried.

A fried Bagel or Hard roll is great! ....

Embryodad Embryodad
Nov '14

A... fried... bagel?

Is this really a thing? Because if so, I'll need to read my arteries their Last Rites. That sounds amazing.

As for existing bagel places, Hot Bagels is the best but the wait can be excruciating. Don't understand their method of counter service. Valley is good but the bagels are small and they run out fast. Piggy's is my least favorite, if only because it's further than the other two and the bagels there strike me as an afterthought.

Would kill for a proper diner on Main Street. Stella G's is great, don't get me wrong, but an old-school greasy spoon with booths that is open late on weekends would be clutch.

Fuji
Nov '14

Piggy's bagels are SO much better than Hot Bagels Abroad.
And the people at Piggy's are SO much nicer than the people working at Hot Bagels.
Good people, good bagels, good experience at Piggy's !!

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Ohh another bagel shop? They should put it next to the drug store!

Ru4real Ru4real
Nov '14

"Have you tried it recently?"

I haven't. I tried them when they first opened and the bagel was terrible. So bad that I at one and threw the rest out. I'll give them another shot as you say its better now.

sack
Nov '14

I can't agree with Piggy's - the people ignore you, they take a break in the middle of making your sandwich, and they put down other places unfairly. I've tried the bagels there and they were over baked and not dense enough for my tastes. Hot Bagels Abroad definitely has better bagels. But so does Harpers. Harper's has the best people around hands down no matter how you look at that one.

Good luck to Budd Lake no matter what. At least something constructive is going to happen with the space instead of emptiness like other towns.

Does any bagel place in the area actually cut their lox (smoked salmon) to order, or do they all have it pre-sliced in a plastic container? There's a world of difference in taste when it's cut to order!

JerryG JerryG
Nov '14

Re: Budd Lake Bagel coming to Hackettstown

The real Thing JerryG

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Nov '14

At least I'm not the only one who doesn't like Piggys.... They have 15 people workin behind the deli and I still have to wait 25 minutes for a bagel or sandwich that doesn't taste any different then quick check... I'll stick with Tonys!

Booster90 Booster90
Nov '14

I've been to so many chain restaurants, I should be dead by now.

Restaurants I want to see in Hackettstown most - Chick Fil A, Logan's Roadhouse, Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral, Qdoba.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Nov '14

DO any of the bagel places have fried bread? Getting that with butter is a combination directly from God.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Nov '14

Mr, Negative,

Thank you. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Now to find it for real without having to drive an hour.

JerryG JerryG
Nov '14

If a Qdoba or Chipolte came to town, I would be thrilled but probably end up weighing 500lbs :/

Jerry G, 100% agree. They also must have someone who knows how to cut it. I don't know if it is just me but I find the employees to be very rude and unfriendly at Bagels Abroad. I understand they are kids, but still. Their bagels are not the best either. Piggy's bagels are awful. However, they are not in the bagel business as this is just a extra for them. I love everything else from Piggy's. We always go to Budd Lake Bagels. Honestly it is a great bagel that seem to stay fresh for awhile. They have Boar's Head cold cuts and they are friendly people. I for one am excited but would rather see a Chipolte come to town.

Summernico Summernico
Nov '14

I see Golden Corral advertised all the time, but the closest is in Queens, NY, and somewhere in PA. What gives with that? A really good buffet in the area would be nice. We try to get to the Black Forest Inn for their buffet once in a great while.
Getting back to topic...we really like Hot Bagels Abroad. There is a reason why they are always busy! They basically do one thing and they seem to do it well.

USAfirst USAfirst
Nov '14

Bagels from Piggy's do not taste anywhere near as good to me as the ones from Budd Lake Bagel. Their Blueberry, Egg and other flavored bagels are great, but for a real treat, you should try their French Toast bagel. Put some butter right in the middle - YUM. Even though I really shouldn't eat gluten anymore, if I see one at work when they're delivered, sometimes I just can't resist, they're that good in my opinion!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

Piggy"s is local business,and I support local business,plus very clean,that is important! Bagels are New York style, and the only place I can get a Beali! Also using Boars Head cold cuts for there sandwiches is the way to go,and the service is top notch.I have been in Budd Lake Bagel and I'm sorry, it is just not clean enough for me !

I thought it was just me!! I went to Piggys to pick up a phone order and was ignored for about 10 minutes!! I was the only one standing there and they had 4 people behind the counter. Need a better system!
Happy to see a new bagel store coming to town!!

Htowngal Htowngal
Nov '14

Bring it on! Competition is great. Hot bagels used to be great but can not support the volume of people on a Saturday and Sunday. The line is out the door and most of the time the bagels (other than the plain) are hard. Their coffee is the best in town but change the stupid cup and lid supplier already!!!!!! I can't be the only one that noticed every single time the cups leak between the lid and rim of cup. Ridiculous.

Brian Brian
Nov '14

"I can't be the only one that noticed every single time the cups leak between the lid and rim of cup. Ridiculous."

Make sure the seam of the cup is directly opposite where you drink from and you shouldn't have that problem. Bagelsmith cups are the same way; if you don't pay attention to how you put the lid on, you wind up with coffee all down the front of your shirt, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

The construction stopped at the old Golden Skillet. Anyone know why? I heard they found massive mold and water damage from river flooding and someone else told me there were no construction permits issued. I can't believe that someone would build without permits in such a visible spot. Anyone know the truth?

go knights
Dec '14

I heard they unearthed a Taco Bell and a Mosque underneath the old building and were ordered to stop. So now they are just going to build another quick chek.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '14

Brian I totally agree with you regarding the coffee lids!! Multiple times I've spilt coffee due to the cheap kids

townie14 townie14
Dec '14

Do we really need another chain like Lone Horn, Chipotle etc? No, we don't. We need decent independent places like Tap House, which truly removes the stereotype of fast food row unless I'm the outsider here and I probably am.

Brian yes! The lids suck I spill more than I drink it's bs

Tunit
Dec '14

Yes its true, no permits,bad way to start off in our town! Plus water,mold ,and dough invite many things to eat, besides people!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.