"What are the odds"dare game in Blairstown High School

Anyone hear of this dare game at North Warren Regional:
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/11/warren_county_school_warns_par.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Ronnie Ronnie
Nov '14

Never heard of it, but:
1) nice of them to teach all of the young readers the rules
2) where are the examples of stupid, embarrassing things that the students have done? :)

This has been around for a year or so...not anything new - BUT- the kids are doing more and more outrageous stuff and then posting to You Tube, etc. their antics. Example: At the middle school where I teach, on 9/11 of this year we had 2 students use hand sanitizer to set paper towel holder/roll of towels on fire in bathroom. They use a lighter to set it on fire and left b/r. Another student was coming into b/r as they were exiting and smelled smoke and alerted staff. It was put out quickly - but was smoldering in the paper towel holder. Administration had names of 2 kids PLUS a clip on cell phone of them doing it (great proof) within 10-15 minutes. They had been heading to the stairway b/c they had put hand sanitizer on railing and were about to light/film that antic. Both students have not been back to school - in state juvenile rehab center (ages 13 and 14).

A student in one on my classes asked me a stupid question - dared by 3 other students and then cursed after the reply - he got suspended. They were playing the "dare game".

So... can be dangerous depending on stunt.... plus they are filming staff w/out our knowledge and then posting that to social media. CRAZY!!

PS. Not to worry about kids reading this in paper - they don't. They may see a clip on social site, but most already know the rules...they're onto something else by the time the adults catch on.

ss2cats ss2cats
Nov '14

Stupid things never happened in the "double dog dare you" days...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '14

A few things strike me about this:

1.) Heaven forbid any child should embarrass themselves. I'm glad that publicly funded representatives are taking so much time to prevent even the most trivial and short-lived inconveniences for our children. Thank God those kids will never have to grow up and learn how to deal with those inconveniences on their own.

2.) Back in my day we had truth or dare too. I don't recall anyone holding a gun to my head to complete the dares then and I'm pretty sure gun use in school has only become less tasteful.

3.) That was all I had but then I read the comment by ss2cats. I feel for you. Please let me know if you need any more PTSD counselors than the 3 you're already seeing after such a traumatic incident. That child asking a "stupid" question? And in SCHOOL no less. Asked of a TEACHER?! I mean really, there are literally thousands of more appropriate places for children to ask questions. Like online anonymous chat rooms or back alleys in central Detroit, right ss2cats? And to have the gall to curse afterwards. My god. We might as well put that horrible child on the suspected terrorist list RIGHT now.

And filming staff too? In a publicly-owned building; a facility with no reasonable expectation of privacy? I can't express how terrified I am. How dare there be consequences against teachers for things they do wrong that are recorded by these stupid kids, right? I mean nobody should be expected to have even a modicum of decorum while performing their jobs I this day and age. Thank God you've realized this and learned to completely disrespect and disregard the students you teach, ss2cats. I feel honored to have been in the same thread as you; as the poster child for entitlement you must be a very busy and important person.

Common Sense Common Sense
Nov '14

Re:

nothing new

Scott Farkus Scott Farkus
Nov '14

Never heard of it either. Stupid, IMO!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Nov '14

Thanks for the information, ss2cats.
I appreciate it.

Ronnie Ronnie
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.