Jobs for the Disabled

any work available for disabled people?

suggestions? and assisted transporation for those who cannot drive?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

Abilities of North West NJ

JD4020 JD4020
Nov '14

http://abilitiesnw.com/

There is also a DVR office at 223-A Stiger Street that can help:
(908) 852-4110

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Nov '14

Hackettstown Municipal positions? DPW, HMUA

Love4all
Nov '14

http://www.arcwarren.org/

ARC of warren county may be able to assist

skippy skippy
Nov '14

is that a dig on the DPW at the expense of disabled people?

well played (i think)

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Nov '14

thanks guys, most of these organizations have been less than helpful to this individual, some seem to use this term, "too high functioning", even thought that is not quite the case, some have only offered dead end type jobs rather than skill building positions that would lead to better career opportunities.

also the jobs are so few hours at minimun wage that doesn't pay nearly enough for someone to rent an apartment or put food on the table, how is someone in this condition supposed to find housing ?

and then the transportation options are either not available or are so limited that work shift hours cannot be scheduled properly.

what to do ? what can be done ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

Employment horizons in cedar knolls is for high functioning adults... Pay is per piece. One of the jobs available there is cleaning memory cards for cable vision. Employees work in different rooms...not sure if it changes daily or weekly. The only transportation I know of is MAPS, but they only serve Morris county. Good luck!

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Nov '14

Also try Capitol care in Flanders for housing. They serve high functioning adults with mental illness and/or dev. Disability. They offer supervised apartments and group homes. I'm assuming this person is not getting money from DDD?

Nov '14

what is DDD ?

no money coming in from any agency, and none from a job either,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

here: http://nj.gov/humanservices/ddd/home/

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

There is a DDD office in Flanders on laurel drive. You can google the info. I urge you to apply for their services...

Nov '14

thank you, wow! there sure is a lot on that site to go through, appreciate the link.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

I just hope it helps

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

The # fir the Flanders DDD office is 973-927-2600. It may be easier to have a case manager guide you. I've been in the field since 2001 and still get lost on their website haha!

Nov '14

yeah, it sure is intimidating, how can those who have issues ever be expected to navigate the detail and complexities of the process?

i mean what are the requirements to be Medicaid eligible ? it's not clear at all from the 'faqs' posted.

if you have no income and want to work a job how do they determine your contribution to your own expenses? and how does one ever become self sufficient as a result?

very tough stuff to wade through i must say,

how does one get a 'counselor' or case manager? how much does that cost?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

I'd call the DDD - and just ask those questions-- or medicaid --- there are staff to help and if you give me a bit more information and a list of questions I'll be glad to sleuth it out --- my kind of challenge

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

Call the DDD office and ask for an Intake worker. They will guide you through the eligibility process. The individual must be Medicaid eligible. If not already, first step is to go to Social Security and apply for SSI. SSI is the best first step for Medicaid because is has some protections later if the individual then receives an SSI benefit from their parents.

thanks, i will follow/up pursue this via phone call,

another thought occurred to me yesterday; is there a wy to set up a mentoring/type of internship for one who would need on the job coaching? person is willing to work, but will need some basic interactive people skills building/coaching/mentoring.

is there anyone in the business world who might be looking for a way to accommodate and help someone who is less able than normal?

are there any tax breaks for doing this type of charity work?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

It's not charity work. Almost all agencies provide job coaches. I hope you called and were able to find help with this...

Dec '14

an evaluation is being done by a vocational rehab group, not sure what their process is or what the outcome will be

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

good BD- so a process has started ---and you've gotten some real information -- that's good news

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

Good Luck BD! Please let us know how this goes, we will be in a similar situation with a family member very soon.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '14

thx guys (and thx 5cat for your message)

i will look into the housing situation mon-tues, but i got another family crisis to deal with at the same time,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Will be praying for both situations BD.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.