Classmates.com - just paid the "stupid tax"

If anyone has a Classmates.com "all access" account that you may have signed up for a bargain price at some time in the past, be aware that you are also signed-up for auto-renew and will get a surprise $39 charge on your credit card.

After a couple of pointless auto-generated email responses from them to my request for cancellation and a refund (the only option they give you is to turn off auto-renew, but mention nothing about the charge they just made.)

Finally checked out their latest (Jan.2014) terms of service - no refunds.

Considering how useless this site has become over the years, you may have chosen to send their email updates to your junk folder. Rest assured, the charge will find you just fine... and will definitely get your attention!

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Nov '14

I know what you are saying about this site, jjmonth4...I never did join (pay the fee) but did fill out a profile page long ago and they keep sending me email teasers...like...someone remembers you..click to find out and when you click they tell you that in order to see who wants to get in touch with you again you have to join and pay the fee. That made me mad and now very glad that I did not join from what you are saying they are doing now. Hope you can get this straightened out and that fee taken off your credit card...

joyful joyful
Nov '14

Same here Joyful. I just move it to the junk folder now.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Nov '14

P.S. I hate to tell you but they have started doing this now with magazine renewals too. They keep sending you the magazines when the subscription runs out and then you get a bill that they atomatically renewed you and you owe them so much money.

joyful joyful
Nov '14

just call the place and tell them you don't want to renew your membership.they did that to me when my son's x-box membership came up.i called told them and told them he no longer uses x-box and they took the bill right off.got my next statement and the charge was gone..ask for a supervisor or manager..

tunnel rat tunnel rat
Nov '14

place a dispute with the credit card company and let them fight the good fight for you.

Always has worked for me and gives them a black eye on the credit network.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

Of course after you call them and if they refuse to take it off your bill, call your credit card company and tell them you never signed up for auto-renew and that you were charged falsely or misleadingly and complain that you want them to chargeback classmates, and file a complaint about them. You could also let the BBB know about their deceptive practices, should you wish to go that far.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.