Mosque coming to Hackettstown?

Am I the only one who's heard about the mosque and madrasa (school) coming to Hackettstown?

JimmysMommy JimmysMommy
Dec '14

And your point is?

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Dec '14

I'm with Andrew's Mom....so what? Does the idea of allowing people to worship as they choose somehow offend you, JimmysMommy??

JerryG JerryG
Dec '14

Religion is like believing in Santa Claus to me. If it floats your boat then have at it.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Dec '14

This should be interesting....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Dec '14

I have no problem with people praying to a god of their choice and having a set of beliefs unique to themselves, as long as their beliefs and prayers do not infringe on my beliefs, safety or security.

If Santa starts blowing people up,or preaching anti-American sentiment or demanding the fall of us infidels I would expect him to be removed from the planet also.

tired of it all
Dec '14

Its a good thing Santa is on the peaceful side; he has this uncanny ability to break into homes unseen.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Dec '14

Dam I am out of popcorn!

Christine Christine
Dec '14

@tired of it all....not sure what you're trying to say....

I'm hoping that you're not implying that all Muslims believe in "...blowing people up,or preaching anti-American sentiment or demanding the fall of us infidels...?"

JerryG JerryG
Dec '14

Andrew's mom and Jerry G - Jimmysmom said nothing negative about the Mosque coming to Htown. It was a simple question. I am thinking of starting a thread asking the EXACT same question she asked, but substitue the name of a large chain pet store (which I've heard is coming). Will my thread evoke such a response? I had heard nothing about a Mosque coming to Hackettstown, but if there is one planned, it's news, and I like to stay informed. This forum is great for keeping people informed. I think you both were quick to assume the OP was making some sort of negative statement, when, if you actually read her words, it's not there.

Has anyone ACTUALLY heard that a Mosque is coming to our town, or is this just a debate about the idea?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

I read about this months ago, but do not remember the source.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '14

Thank you Rebecka! People on this forum are quick to jump all over people. There was nothing negative in the OP's question. This is why so many people don't come back to HtownLife!

townie70 townie70
Dec '14

I saw it in the Onion!

Hackettstown, NJ—With complaints about everything from “raggedy prayer mats” to “the grimiest ablution fountain ever,” local Muslims have slammed the al-Wali Mosque on 14th Street as “the worst of the worst,” giving it an average review of 1.5 stars on the website Yelp. “Frankly, this place is a dump—between the poor lighting, the overall dirtiness, and the crowds, it’s almost impossible to concentrate on anything pure or holy,” user Faruq43 wrote in a scathing review posted this week, claiming that he once even had his shoes stolen from the mosque when he removed them for Friday prayers. “On top of that, it doesn’t even face Mecca. Seriously! According to my iPhone, it’s at least 10 degrees off. I now drive an extra half hour to the masjid in Ames just to avoid this place.” According to congregants, the place of worship’s only five-star review, an unqualified rave, was almost certainly posted by the mosque’s imam.

yankeefan yankeefan
Dec '14

+10000 townie70

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

There are too many wackjobs on here that love to scream racism or bigotry every chance they get whether justified or not. Look in the mirror as you are probably a bunch of frauds. Nothing negative about the original post and I also like to stay informed. I am officially done with this second rate forum. You will no longer have privy to my wisdom , sarcasm or all around presence. Good bye !

jerseycash5
Dec '14

So can I ask where the OP heard the news and where might be the site be?

Darwin Darwin
Dec '14

I thought we already had one.

Islamic Society of North Jersey

https://plus.google.com/106499710684733458856/about?gl=us&hl=en

46 New Jersey 57, Hackettstown, NJ 07840
(908) 850-9925

MikeL MikeL
Dec '14

Unless there are going to be two relatively close to each other, I believe there is a planning board application for one on Route 46 in Mount Olive, maybe half a mile or so east of the TD Bank.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

Its on Rt 46 not Rt 57.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

Private schools do decrease the burden on the public school system. All of the kids that will move to the Bergen Tool apartments will need desk space somewhere.

It's not only Route 46, it's Budd Lake. It's nothing new, it's been there for a bunch of years.

If you build it they will come.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '14

JimmysMommy was just asking a question!!! Some of you are ridiculous for jumping all over someone for asking a question. Stop already

sickofit sickofit
Dec '14

I do not think the large chain pet store is coming to Hackettstown, that is the last I heard.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Dec '14

Oh thank you, Nature Lover! Now I don't have to start a new thread lol. And I'm glad. I like shopping at Jim's, Tickner's... I like the fact that we still HAVE family-run, non-chain stores, and was worried for them when two different people told me that a chain was thinking of moving in (you may be one of them, if you are a person I know in real life but I don't know your screen name).

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

God I hope not. I want myself, my wife and my children to be safe and secure. A mosque does not make me feel safe, after all we've seen in the last few months and years.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Dec '14

Sorry. I forgot myself and my position.

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Dec '14

GC the Islamic center is in independence not Budd lake. Unless we have two Islamic centers in a 5 mile radius

townie1 townie1
Dec '14

Please confirm sarcasm, LngVly. I seriously am not sure here :/

kepa
Dec '14

RT 46, structures, on top of the hill, have Hackettstown addresses as far as the Suburu dealer. I don't know exactly where it stops. Somewhere prior to Wolfe Road. So a mosque could have a Hackettstown address but be 4-5 miles away. Lets not get to worked up about this.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Dec '14

townie1 - There is no Islamic Center in Independence, I think instead you mean the Bosnian Center, in the old library before moving to the current old Best's location, which is different and not a mosque. The center in Budd Lake (354 Route 46) is an Islamic Center and does have a mosque there.

kepa - If you think that wasn't dead serious.....

"God I hope not. I want myself, my wife and my children to be safe and secure. A mosque does not make me feel safe, after all we've seen in the last few months and years."

Is this a joke?

hluser
Dec '14

I don't see why it would be a joke. Is concern for safety of my family and my community a joke?

LngVly22 LngVly22
Dec '14

Big one came to Bedminster and now all the condos have gone to poopity poo. Some people just don't get it !

Horshey
Dec '14

No, but we assumed your prejudice was. Some terrorists are muslim. Not all muslims are terrorists.

btownguy btownguy
Dec '14

How would having a mosque in the area put your family's safety at risk?

Darwin Darwin
Dec '14

Bedminster condos "have gone to poopity poo" when they were built. They have always been over priced based on real estate bubbles and then tanked when reality set in. And took a worse turn when the economy did the same. Nothing else to blame for that one.

Give it a break. Common sense would say why ask for trouble. I think I would prefer a child care center, an old folks home or something equally "docile" as my neighbor if I had a choice.

sientje smith sientje smith
Dec '14

GC,
When prospective buyers come and comment on your immediate neighbors i beg to differ. Obviously as a seller in that particular community you were never put in that spot.

Horshey
Dec '14

Your correct. I apologize GC

townie1 townie1
Dec '14

The problem is there are so few in NJ that when they build them they are huge. The one in Bedminster just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Traffic is huge issue. There are less than 80 mosques in NJ. So people travel a good amount to get a one.

Darwin Darwin
Dec '14

My daughter's good friend moved here from Egypt 3 years ago. She is Muslim. Her dad goes to mosque every single day and her mom wears the hijab and bilbab. I have spoken to her at length about terrorism, the qur'an, the Egyptian government, etc.

Let me just say that most American's have NO CLUE what they are talking about.
The people on here who are attacking those who have concerns about the Muslim infiltration are just plain IGNORANT and stupid.

Once you understand the qur'an and what an infidel means you will finally get it.

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

Was the OP's question (Mosque coming to town) actually validated?

Oh, and on the subject of the Mosque; there is a group trying to open a Mosque and a primary Muslim school somewhere in the Hackettstown area. As of now (from what I am told) it is something being looked into, but not yet happening.

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

"Common sense would say why ask for trouble."

Actually, common sense would say why assume there will be trouble. Can you show us the crime statistics to support your assumption that there would be trouble?

justintime justintime
Dec '14

Every person on this sight must have too much time on there hands?
This world is the way it is because of ignorance ... People get over yourself !

Justify Justify
Dec '14

Hey Justintime, just a serious question - Do you know any Muslims personally and have you spoken to them about terrorism?

Common sense would say that it's not a good idea to make assumptions based of feelings instead of facts. Just saying.

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

Heidi, your daughters good friend is a terrorist? Wow. I'd put my foot down if I were you.

Seriously though, people can think anything they want. It's when they take action that there's a problem. Take those fearful of all Muslims for instance, how long will it take before you've had enough and decide to exterminate "them"?

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

Heidi, I think JIT is actually on your side on this one. He was quoting a Xenophile earlier in this thread.

btownguy btownguy
Dec '14

Btw, the answer to your question is yes. And, as strange as it sounds, there are some truly decent, non-judgemental people in the world, no matter what race, nationality or religious affiliation they happen to believe in. And yes, even many of those mean and nasty Muslims that you hear about daily committing crimes in the United States are kind hearted souls. Which is the point: anyone who judges an entire group based on the actions of a minority percentage of that group is fooling themselves.

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

And anybody who pretends to know what they are talking about (when they are only basing what they "think" they know on their "feelings"), is also fooling themselves.

This is not about being "judgmental" or "non-judgmental." This is about educating yourself or choosing to sound like a "truly decent, non-judgmental" person.

Personally I like to learn about things (including terrorism, the Muslim religion, the qur'an, etc) before I "decide" what my position is.

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

Ok Heidi. Educate me. I'm always open to new information. Sadly, most of what I've discussed and read is nothing more than fear cloaked in religious bias so I'd love to get some unbiased information.

"Hating" isn't something that comes easily to me, I agree. Perhaps I am too tolerant. My bad.

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

Where is there a mosque in Bedminster?

Aquarius Aquarius
Dec '14

I don't think "hating" anyone is a good thing. I like to learn about something (be it a religion, a movement, a political party, etc). Sometimes I learn something new and change my own perspective, sometimes I find some common ground and other times, not so much.

Through my daughter's friend and her family, 3 Muslim coworkers, and a number of other Muslim's through the years I learned a lot about terrorism, like why the terrorists are doing what they are doing. Two years ago I spent an entire year studying the qua'ran with a group of Muslims my co-workers introduced me too.

It's too much info (I have to get up at 4 and I'm fading fast), but I will say I have not met a single non Muslim that really understands any of this.

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not a racist thing. Common sense means the very young and the very old are not as apt to cause traffic delays, have loud, large gatherings, not cost the tax payer as much and in general, not affect the neighborhood to the extent that ANY group with a specific belief (Catholic, Methodist, Budist,Wiccin) would.

sientje smith sientje smith
Dec '14

Wow what a topic and how it ( like most Topics Bend from one thing to another just like the road of life bends) we live in America my friends where we are the worlds melting pot of people . and I thought that being a American I Have the freedom to speak my mind and to see things how I want to see them and not have my life controlled in the way that others have been and are being controlled but I look at it like this if any American dose not feel safe at home ( and I mean in America 0 that is not a good thing and if they speak out that is there right .and to all so speak out about it . what I feel is that this world has the space for all of us , but has no space for any thing that says if you do not belive the way that we do that we must convert you or kill you .
so with that I say to all that this is to be the season of love of your fellow man reach out to some one and imbrace that were are all earthers
good wishes to every one it will soon be 2015 can you belive that we as a country and a world have come this far
Blessed be to the earth mother and father sun and sky may you have a safe travel no matter where you rome

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Dec '14

The danger with any religion is not the written word but the interpretation of that word by fallible man/woman.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Dec '14

You know, to those of you concerned about your safety because of your religious ignorance, let me remind you all that you are more surrounded by sex offenders and dangerous criminals than peace loving individuals who mind their own business, and keep their religion to themselves. Do you feel safe now?

Anonymous Anonymous
Dec '14

Mosque coming to Hackettstown,again,can we still put up Christmas lights in town?What if the schools have a dress code?Will it apply to them?Do we need Muslim cops now, so there comfortable?Does this really matter? Has anyone been to Edison in the last 5 years? I can hear it coming now---------,someone is going to think I'm a racist,I can feel it! Thank God I have free speech on my side,for now !

oohh.... I didn't think of that... will the local restaurants be pressured into banning all pork (that means BACON!!) AAAuuugghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec '14

I never feel save when someone posts under the guise of Anonymous

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Dec '14

If we were heading into the crusades, and somebody was building a church, people might be worried. I wonder what they will what's going on now in a hundred years.

Brendan Brendan
Dec '14

JeffersonRepub OH No we will be marching in the streets and our battle cry will be PULLED PORK PULLED PORK

Dec '14

I would rather be surrounded by sex offenders and dangerous criminals than peace loving individuals you just cant trust them why you ask and I know you said that Because at one time the sex offenders and dangerous criminals were once peace loving individuals its like that one card in a deck of cards is handing you flowers in one hand and a sward behind the back

Dec '14

I don't trust people who cannot use punctuation.

btownguy btownguy
Dec '14

"I don't trust people who cannot use punctuation."

ROFL

Dec '14

This thread is really disappointing and frankly I'm disgusted by some of the comments. There are Muslims living here in our community. Where are they supposed to practice their faith? It's appalling to think Muslims would be denied the same freedoms and opportunities enjoyed by people of other religions.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

They can practice their faith however they want.
However Muslims cannot be trusted including Barack Hussein Obama!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Dec '14

? Who says they will be DENIED anything? Just because a few people may not WANT a mosque in the area, has ZERO bearing on whether or not one will be ALLOWED.

You want to open a mosque? Open a mosque. You want to start teaching jihad? NOW we have a problem....

Dec '14

"You want to open a mosque? Open a mosque. You want to start teaching jihad? NOW we have a problem..."

Exactly my point

tired of it all
Dec '14

It sounds like quite a few posters here would like to deny Muslims the chance to build a mosque. However, I don't believe anyone said that explicitly, so l ll amend my statement to substitute "would be denied" with wouldn't be welcome to exercise". I hope that makes you happy JR. The rest of my statement stands.

The religious hatred expressed in this thread is despicable.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

I don't hate Islam or muslims. I hate Jihad and terrorists. Unfortunately, the two go hand-in-hand quite often these days.

Dec '14

Hey Gadfly, exactly how much do you know about the Muslim religion and it's ideology? If you would like, I can have an actual Muslim speak to you and explain things. You sound like you are going on "feelings" and political correctness and not facts based on education and understanding.

I felt like you at one point as well. The reason I changed my mind is because of what the Muslims told me, in their own words, regarding why the terrorists are doing what they are doing and why the non-terroristic Muslims are totally silent on the subject.

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

"The reason I changed my mind is because of what the Muslims told me, in their own words, regarding why the terrorists are doing what they are doing and why the non-terroristic Muslims are totally silent on the subject."

Good heavens.... I would REALLY like to hear that!!!!

Dec '14

That's the problem, Heidi. If the Muslim religion is one of "peace," why haven't any of these peaceful ones denounced what the extremists are doing on an almost daily basis? Or are the peaceful people irrelevent? Do the peaceful ones realize how they are being lumped in with the psychopathic monsters? Until that happens, I frankly have seen enough.

If you care to answer given your experience with the Muslim population, I'd love to be enlightened.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '14

Gadfly, despicable is too kind a word.

justintime justintime
Dec '14

There are Muslims here that read this forum. They do not wear a hijab, they have blond hair and blue eyes, and were born in America.

yes the Majid or Mosque is already here in Hackettstown (mt olive). We already provide some schooling in the Quran and Arabic on Sunday's but we would like to expand and make it a full time school with real, certified and accredited teachers. Similar to Catholic schools... What is wrong with that?

Really now?
What about those catholic priests and the ones that bomb abortion clinics and kill innocent people all in the name of their cause?

Get an education, not an edumacation !!!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

I second the motion, JR. Let's hear it Heidi.

btownguy btownguy
Dec '14

There are people who are Muslims and there are muslims who are just People

Know the difference between the two and you will have your answer

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

3wbdwnj - Did you see the interview with people in Boonton on NBC 4 NY? That's exactly what they were saying:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Jersey-Pakistani-Americans-React-Taliban-Schoolchildren-Massacre-286021361.html

This thread makes me want to throw up! Why wouldn't a Muslim have the same right as a catholic?

Christine Christine
Dec '14

I think peaceful Muslims may fear for their own lives and the lives of their family members if they were to publically join forces with or assist " infidels" in putting an end to the terrorists in their own belief system. It must be a very difficult life for them.

Dec '14

That's great, GC. Four people in Boonton, NJ. But where's everyone else?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '14

Don't you just love the rhetoric displayed on this thread ? America is on a slow but steady downhill slide of its own making as indicated by the general BS herein!! Lies, ,misinformation,rumor.bury the very first question.

Oldtimer Oldtimer
Dec '14

"Really now?
What about those catholic priests and the ones that bomb abortion clinics and kill innocent people all in the name of their cause?"

Certainly the catholic priest thing is unforgivable.

People love to bring up the abortion clinic bombings, let's examine that:

"In the U.S., violence directed towards abortion providers has killed at least EIGHT people, including four doctors, two clinic employees, a security guard, and a clinic escort." [source: Wiki]

Now... HOW MANY people died on 9-11? HOW MANY school children were killed just several days ago in Pakistan? HOW MANY die at the hands of radical muslims EVERY SINGLE DAY?

Yes, I can see the comparison.

Dec '14

heidi wrote : "I felt like you at one point as well. The reason I changed my mind is because of what the Muslims told me, in their own words, regarding why the terrorists are doing what they are doing and why the non-terroristic Muslims are totally silent on the subject."

please explain this more fully? thanks.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Gee, when I tell Heidi anything, she never listens.

But she changes her mind instantly when Islam speaks..............

What's that: Islam ---- 1, Liberals ---- 0 :>)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Dec '14

Try reading up on what is going on in England on the rest of western Europe which has been infested with a muslim population. Do some research about how muslims there have changed the entire nature of society with demands for everything to be changed from laws to halal to the rampant anti-Semitism, rapes of children, etc. etc. Then tell me if you want to encourage islam in our area.

smartherthanyou smartherthanyou
Dec '14

This will increase taxes,because now we need camel crossing signs,and no frisking if they break the law ! Why do Muslims want to come here if they hate us so much?
Will are rules and laws apply to them, or do we need to be more liberal!

SMH --- unbelievable ----

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

To each his own.
Believe what you want, using sources that you want.
We'll see who was right in the end.
Peace be with you during this special season for so many...

Dec '14

"The reason I changed my mind is because of what the Muslims told me, in their own words, regarding why the terrorists are doing what they are doing and why the non-terroristic Muslims are totally silent on the subject."

so, you claim to be "in the know", but won't share?..

another request to the one who boasts advanced knowledge and judgmentally criticizes as "judgmental" those who criticize...

why should we be surprised at the polarized and emotional responses?... it's so in almost every area in this country at this time...

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '14

Now, let us have a closer look at what the Koran says about the infidels:-

Slay the unbelievers wherever you find them(2:191)
Make war on the infidels living in your neighboorhood (9:123)
When opportunity arises, kill the infidels wherever you catch them (9:5)
Kill the Jews and the Christians if they do not convert to Islam or refuse to pay Jizya tax (9:29)
Any religion other than Islam is not acceptable (3:85)
The Jews and the Christians are perverts; fight them (9:30)
Maim and crucify the infidels if they criticise Islam. (5:33)
The infidels are unclean; do not let them into a mosque (9:28)
Punish the unbelievers with garments of fire, hooked iron rods, boiling water; melt their skin and bellies
(22:19)
Do not hanker for peace with the infidels; behead them when you catch them (47:4)
The unbelievers are stupid; urge the Muslims to fight them (8:65)
Muslims must not take the infidels as friends (3:28)
Terrorise and behead those who believe in scriptures other than the Qur’an (8:12)
Muslims must muster all weapons to terrorise the infidels (8:60)

The Qur’an certainly proclaims that when the time is appropriate, Muslims must use force to convert the unbelievers to Islam. For the non-Muslims, the alternative to this is to pay the humiliating protection money (Jizya tax) or be killed (by beheading, of course). A militarily dominant Islam, without doubt, precludes the peaceful co-existence with the unbelievers if the Muslims have to abide strictly by the unalterable stipulations of the Qur’an.

Cornfritters Cornfritters
Dec '14

Well, I'd say that's some pretty damning evidence.... can't wait to read the rebuttal....

Dec '14

@JR, what'd you say 'bout my butt?

Cornfritters Cornfritters
Dec '14

Evidence of what JR, that Islam can be interpreted to an extreme? Well you get the big DUH award of the day!

Here's the issue once again: you're claiming an entire bushel of apples is bad and have no interest to keep any of them-they're all garbage to you. Others are rightfully pointing out that a relatively small percentage are bad and those individual bad apples should be removed from the bushel. I agree with you that should the bad apples remain with the good that the bad could very well spoil the good. But that's NOT the case today! The numbers simply don't support that conclusion.

Are the trends moving that way? Maybe, but is the cause Islam, some outside influence, or more likely a combination of the two?

See, the real issue is you wanting to persecute 100% of your targeted population to deal with a small percent that are actually causing harm. History tells this story over and over again, those taking your position being wrong 100% of the time.

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

JIT,

Your "I'm a thinking moderate libertarian and smarter than both sides" routine is wearing thin.

Quite a few things in the list above that would quite hard to "interpret" as "peaceful" in any way.... but go ahead- give it a try- I dare you.

"you're claiming an entire bushel of apples is bad and have no interest to keep any of them-they're all garbage to you"
"See, the real issue is you wanting to persecute 100% of your targeted population to deal with a small percent that are actually causing harm. History tells this story over and over again, those taking your position being wrong 100% of the time."

I have never "claimed" that. Not once. So you'll have to "re-interpret" what you THINK I think....

Dec '14

What's your claim then JR? All I keep reading is "all Muslims are evil" because (almost) all Muslims practice Islam.

Are you really trying to deny that?

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

I don't have to deny it, because it is not true. I don't know where you are "getting" your view of what I have been saying, but you certainly aren't getting it from this forum.

I seems to me you are guilty of manufacturing this persona you seem to think I have, so you can then disagree with it/me, and increase the confidence in your beliefs? IDK, not sure what your game is, but I have never said "all muslims are evil" or "almost all muslims practice JIHAD" (I think that's what you meant to type- JIHAD, not ISLAM... of course all muslims practice Islam lol.)

Dec '14

"what's your claim then JR"

I've stated it already. The muslim extremist jihad "problem" is MUCH larger and more widespread than you (and some others) want to believe. I'm developing a theory you are suffering from "normalcy bias"- you simply don't WANT to believe it could be as bad as it actually could be, because that would be just too "terrible." So, you choose to not even consider the possibility. It's a foolish and dangerous position to take.

Heck, re-reading those passages from the Kuran above, it seems to me you would to MISinterpret the texts in order for it to be practiced as a peaceful religion....

Dec '14

OMG.....

Heidi Heidi
Dec '14

you really want to go toe to toe with the bible Cornfritters?

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything

This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

darwin darwin
Dec '14

JR, then WTH are you bitching and moaning about in a thread about a local mosque unless you are assuming those worshiping there are jihadists?????

This has to be the most insane thread ever.

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

I think you need to research how many Muslims are in Europe,and how many through out the world,the United States average couple has 1.3 children! The average Muslim couple,plus his extras, have 8 children per couple ! In this case,the world should be 80% Muslim soon.I rest my case ! Do the real math!

JIT-

Where have I "bitched" about a possible mosque? I haven't.... maybe you need remedial reading classes.... the most "extreme" thing I said was "if they start teaching jihad, NOW we have a problem." And frankly, I think you'll find most everyone would agree that statement is not "extreme" in the slightest.

Again- you're coming in here with some preconceived notion about how you THINK I feel about an issue, and not paying attention to what I actually said....

The topic of a possible mosque and the topic about "how many muslims are jihadists" are related, but DIFFERENT issues. Just because I think there are far more jihadists than you are willing to accept has nothing to do with a mosque opening.

I'll even repeat what I said:

"If they want to open a mosque, OPEN IT. If they start teaching jihad, NOW we have a problem."

Dec '14

The Christian biblical quotes are spot on. They do promote violence, slavery, oppression of women, and murder. The only difference in this day and age is that most Christians like to pretend that those parts of the bible don't exist and they cherry pick all of the loving parts. Unfortunately, many (not all) believers in the Koran take the passages literally and follow through like obedient little sheep.

My OPINION....take out religion, follow your heart, show compassion, and be kind to one another. You don't need a book telling you how to behave, for the better or the worse. I just think this world would be better for it.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Dec '14

Curious - has anyone (else) here spent some time in a Muslim country?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

Wonder if they'll be any complaining when the call to prayer is sounded over the loudspeakers 5 x a day 7 days a week.Kinda like the fire siren.

vous
Dec '14

darwin. Three of your references were in the old Covenant between God and his chosen people. Ephesians is in the new covenant for all people.The new covenant was given by Jesus is in Matthew 26 : 28

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

Will it be next to the Taco Bell.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '14

So... The almighty, omnipotent and omniscient God of all Creation went and changed his mind at some point? If there was ever a better argument that God was actually a woman, I've never heard it (-;

ianiimal ianiimal
Dec '14

Old gent, just a few more from Matthew.

Jesus clearly supports the laws of the old testament (Matthew 5:17).

Jesus advocates murder (Matthew 11:20)

Jesus advocates child abuse (Matthew 5:14-7)

john z john z
Dec '14

john z,

in matthew 5:17 jesus says he has come to fulfill the law, question for you sir: What is the 'Law' Jesus is referring to? (you have conflated it too mean something that is not there in the text)

Matthew 11:20 doesn't speak of murder at all, (did you even read it?) here is the verse King James Version: "Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not" john z?, i would thank you to please explain your point,

Mattew 5:14 says nothing about child abuse, did you even read it? again here is the King James version of the verse: "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid."

here is a fuller context of the verse;

Salt and Light
13"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. 14"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.…

http://biblehub.com/matthew/5-14.htm

nothing in there about child abuse, pray tell john z, where did you get your information from?

i can get you a copy of the bible for your own reference if you would like, just pm me.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Looks like JimmysMommy lobbed in the grenade and ran...

LOL Ben!

darwin darwin
Dec '14

I spent three weeks in Pakistan about 10 years ago. Lived with Muslim families. They were kind and loving. (of course women weren't allowed to touch the men unless they were related and vise versa) I was treated very well. We were able to go through the Khyber Pass. No foreigners were allowed at that time, so I was totally covered up. There were two armed guards in front of us and we were followed by an Army vehicle. The driver was a Major in the Pakistan Army and carrying. We went as far as the Afghanistan border. Came back to the officers mess, and had lunch. I wore long pants and long sleeves the entire time I was there. On special occasions, I wore my friend's clothes. I heard the call to prayer, but after a couple of days got used to it. There are good and bad in all races/religions. My experience was wonderful.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Dec '14

"My experience was wonderful.", right as long as you were "all covered up" and never touched by any man not related to you, otherwise there would have been a problem.

wonder if they would have let you drive a car? read a book? discuss politics?

talk about a war on women, holy molly !

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

"talk about a war on women, holy moly !"

Yeah, no kidding.... I guess I should be surprised the women of America haven't picked up this "cause", but I'm not.... especially since the MSM here will never report that sharia is anything bad for women in any way.

Dec '14

"all covered up and never touched by any man not related to you"

What woman do you know that wants to live like that!!!

It 2014 wake up Liberals!! Its not 2014BC !!!

The men treat the woman like garbage!

They are their slaves to the kitchen, forced to marry some a-hole because the family arranged it.

Macho Men and control freaks Migrate to that Cult of a Religion Islam!

Sorry I don't respect a religion that treat woman like SH*T.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Dec '14

JR speaking for all women, must be showing his clueless feminine side...... :>)

How could you miss the part about women's inequality in the Muslim world? Too much Fox? Hey, JR, there are other places, cultures, and religions that are not to good for your feminine side either........ google it. Hmmmm, he must have been busy touching unrelated men......:>)

Dec '14

So in this thread we have single lines from the Kuran (apologies for bad spelling) that describe infidels or violence and no one bats an eye...

...then we have single verses from the Bible which describe negative actions. Yet, someone rushes to say "Whoa, you're taking them out of context"

Irony anyone?

btownguy btownguy
Dec '14

Irony? Sounds more like permanent press.

Dec '14

btown wrote: ""Whoa, you're taking them out of context"

who said this ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Lol!
I'm a muslim woman and guess what?? I go to the gym where there are real men working out! I also go to the Htown pool wearing a bikini ( gasp) ! I drive a car, my own & sometimes I even have to drive my husband and members of the family who are male too! ( gasp again) I go to the Mosque and can even congregate with the opposite sex ( can you believe that??!!) sometimes it's hard for me to hear when it's time to pray because the microphone in the mosque is very low. I have talked to the Imam about that and he is working on getting it fixed. The adhan is not broadcast outside for all the world to hear even though I think it's one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard right up there with Handels Messiah.
I am allowed to work and wear make up. All this in the presence of my family, my husband and his family and other Muslims that are not related to me or are from the Mosque. What all you people fail to understand is all the restrictive crap that people love to use and bring up has nothing to do with the religion itself it's all cultural, demographic and regional based on what part of the country you live in or come from! There is nothing in the Quran itself that says women are not allowed to drive!! Lol

19 middle eastern men flew planes into the WTC not 19 Muslims
Muslims follow the 10 commandments, you know, the one from that dude called Moses! You might have heard of him?!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

For some it's just easier to hate, to lump people into nice little groups that they can categorize in whatever fashion they choose. Personally I think that's very small minded, but it seems that I'm in the minority thinking that way.

Much better to have an enemy, I think, than to look at the bigger picture, right? On that note, anyone else feel ike we're being conditioned to hate certain groups, maybe to make it easier to take war to them? War is a business after all, and people in that business need to have targets... But alas, that's tin foil talk, isn't it? ;-)

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

No, I didn't throw a grenade. I was honestly shocked and appalled at the comments. I asked because I had no idea where it would go in Hackettstown as the place is built out. A school and house of worship needs space and I didn't know where that'd be. I won't say anything about the comments other than I welcome anyone to my town and I think the charity and community involvement a house of worship will bring is a good thing.

JimmysMommy JimmysMommy
Dec '14

"The adhan is not broadcast outside for all the world to hear even though I think it's one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard right up there with Handels Messiah." H-town Mama

Agree 1000% it is one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard. In Jerusalem, especially, where the calls echo through the ancient city streets... hauntingly beautiful. (I visited sites important to all three religions... such an amazing place.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

I remember the peaceful Muslims celebrating in the streets of Paterson NJ during that week.

auntiel auntiel
Dec '14

Thanks Mod, you've proven my point. H-town Mama can disparage one Faith while being protected from being called out about doing so. Where do I get the "No Mosque" sign for my yard? Yawn.

Sorrynotsorry
Dec '14

h-town mama- i have never lumped all muslims into the same group, as you keep correctly pointing out they are a very diverse community. the war between the sunni's and shia's is at least 1400 years old right now, correct?

as Ms Fishy described her experiences in a muslim community; "They were kind and loving. (of course women weren't allowed to touch the men unless they were related and vise versa) I was treated very well." , and i commented back, but for the record i never mentioned muslims in my questions even thought Ms Fishy did in her post. I know there are regional differences, in some immigrant communities they are attemtping to introduce these differences in western society, (France, England, Holland, Canada and the USA), there are efforts under way to change the schools, the local laws, etc.

h-town mama, respectfully i would ask you: What will your position be if they try and introduce some of these practices in our local area? will you 'cover up' ? will you stop wearing makeup? will you give up your drivers license? stop voting in elections? will you pull your daughters out of school and tell them they don't need an education? will you stop traveling outside the house unless you are escorted by a male you are related to?

these are serious issues, and i ask about them not to be harsh, but honestly wonder how the american muslims i have known and worked with will deal with this clash of cultures. because as you say, most who have been here for awhile do not live that way

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

hey there btownguy - who are you referring to? i corrected the record for a poster who was completely wrong in what he posted as bible verses, no irony was involved in correcting the bad information.

the other posters quoting the Qur'an can be addressed by you the same way if you think they are wrong, so pony up some research to vet that out if you have issue with it.

maybe h-town mama can shed some light on the quotes above from the Qur'an ? or emaxx, maybe you can vet out those verses and let us know how accurate/inaccurate they are

i have seen several different versions of the Qur'an, some of them have different wording on some of the verses, there are some intelligent critiques out there offering explanations as to why. anyone care to comment on this?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

BD, I'm not an expert on the Quran. Never studied it. I won't pretend to know anything. All I see is the quoting of a single verse without context. Similarly, this website does the same with the bible - http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

It's easy to do. If you believe there is truth to the violence in the quotes Quran pssages, please share your research. If not, we will just assume it's more quoting out of context
Remember, people of all religions will quote their storybooks out of context for their own gain.

btownguy btownguy
Dec '14

Bdog, "what if" a Christian community was told they could no longer pray in school?
What if every fiber of your being tells you that abortion is murder? What if you you question the origins of matter in the universe?

Point is there are always "what ifs". The answer is always the same, to respectfully disagree and allow others their beliefs as long as they don't cause harm to others. IOW, as long as *force* is not used to push your views on someone else.

My "what if" is What if you disagree with someone but also believe that using force is a valid way to make them conform to your views? Would you agree that's OK if someone else used force to do the same?

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

Do pardon the xenophobic message "I" made, my teenage daughter posted that. I believe one of her exes was muslim. I have no negative feelings toward islam.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Dec '14

Time for everyone to listen to the spiritual common sense of Osho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43PX7LkCzxQ

H-town Mama,take it easy,I thought Muslims were peace loving?Please leave Moses out of this,were glad your changing your country"s culture! Maybe if the women wore two piece bathing suits over there, there men would stop killing people!Do you know how many billion Muslims there are in the word?Also how many Christians?

Let's lump all Muslims together and create one general model to be able to despise them easily. Given the variety of Muslim sects, countries, and peoples, no chance for diversity, right?

Here's the dress code for Dubai and the UAE, not too bad, wish we had it, note the swimsuits: http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_dubai_dress_code_8955.aspx

In Saudi, it's strict: http://www.expatwoman.com/saudiarabia/monthly_saudiarabia_guide_Dress_code__11621.aspx

In Morocco it's no show wrist to ankle in the country, and pretty Western in the city.

In Turkey it's "smart casual," fairly relaxed except within the Mosques.

So, lots of variation, no doubt just like the people.

Dec '14

hey there b-town guy, i didn't provide the Qur'an quotes, you're talking at the wrong guy, go back and read what I posted for clarification

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

jit , i was asking h-town mama for her views, and wasn't offering up any of the things you keep projecting onto me. btw, some of the things i asked about are being introduced in France, Great Briton, Holland, Germany, Norway and Sweden and Canada and the USA, they are not 'what ifs'

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

BDog, I was trying to answer your what if's to h-town mama using other what if's as examples. The answer to my what if's is the same answer to yours.

I wasn't projecting anything onto you, sorry if you took it that way. Just trying to boil this down to what it will ultimately become - the use of force by one group over another group in order to achieve conformance to a particular viewpoint. Both "sides" are really the same if they both choose to use force to coerce an outcome, the difference between them being how much power each has to do the coercion. IOW, the more powerful mob will "win", if that's what you want to call it.

justintime justintime
Dec '14

"Both "sides" are really the same if they both choose to use force to coerce an outcome"

this is true, we are on the same page here

i am moving more and more towards libertarian views than the stereo-typical conservative positions i often get labeled with around here, i evaluate each and every issue on it's own merits, there is no platform owned by the major parties that accurately describes me, or delineates where I stand on most issues.

i'm finding that i have lots of company on that lately

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Thanks Mod, you've proven my point. H-town Mama can disparage one Faith while being protected from being called out about doing so. Where do I get the "No Mosque" sign for my yard? Yawn.

Sorrynotsorry

please point out where I have disparaged one Faith? If I did so, I apologize. Part of the faith that I choose to belong too requires that I respect Christianity and judiasm as that is where islam comes from..the last of the trinity of Abrahamic faiths

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

h-town mama, respectfully i would ask you: What will your position be if they try and introduce some of these practices in our local area? will you 'cover up' ? will you stop wearing makeup? will you give up your drivers license? stop voting in elections? will you pull your daughters out of school and tell them they don't need an education? will you stop traveling outside the house unless you are escorted by a male you are related to?

these are serious issues, and i ask about them not to be harsh, but honestly wonder how the american muslims i have known and worked with will deal with this clash of cultures. because as you say, most who have been here for awhile do not live that way

Who is they? I believe you are now talking about politics which has nothing to do with religion although that is the correlation now isn't it?

The first tenet in Islam is "there is no compulsion in islam" there is no force but only free will with regard to the religion itself and the practices so if something is being imposed than its not coming from the religion but from the man. Nothing in islam can be "introduced" that is called Fitna. All that already exists is all there will be.

Anyone know what the meaning is behind the description of a Sunni Muslim? Right there is a fitna because in the Quran it explicitly says "there shall be no divisions between Muslims" yet thousands of years ago the Muslims tribes split into different sects and each believe in a different leader, caliph that took over when the Prophet Muhammad died.

Sunni Muslims are called this because they not only follow the Quran but they also follow the SUNNA which is the description about each and every verse or Aria in Quran. It goes into detail about how and why that Aria came to be and within that detail are some things like for example "women are to cover their heads and necks in the presence of unrelated men" So this is in fact where most of those cultural aspects come from that everyone sees and likes to use as bullet points. This happens to be the majority of Muslims in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Yemen etc and are one of the strictest sects. These are the people that are the suicide bombers, the terrorists because they are going by a book that was written thousands of years after the Quran by 4 different authors with Bukhari being the most respected and Bukhari's explanations are misogynistic and violent in my opinion.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

H-town Mama,take it easy,I thought Muslims were peace loving?Please leave Moses out of this,were glad your changing your country"s culture! Maybe if the women wore two piece bathing suits over there, there men would stop killing people!Do you know how many billion Muslims there are in the word?Also how many Christians?

Hey Lobo!
I am taking it easy!! do I appear excited to you? Why would I leave Moses out of it when we follow the 10 commandments which God revealed to Moses.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

+++ Brother Dog - a growing minority?

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '14

You came along way, way, too late, Brother Dog. I have been there most of my life and always in the minority. We are so far over the Dam, theres no going back. Most felt it won't hurt. "It's just a little thing". "Dont rock the boat". Now the boat has sunk.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

The most famous phrase was, " The lesser of two evils" They couldn't see they were being bought out, thinking they were getting something for nothing, not realizing the Freedom they were giving up. Now they learned there no such a thing as something for nothing with the bill coming due. Welcome to Europe where you fight over the spoils.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

H-town Mama,he did reveal the commandments to Moses, not Allah!Just what does a terrorist look like!

H-town Mama

With all due respect, you really should correct your time frame. You state thousands of years, when you must actually mean hundreds. Bukhari's work was written about 2 hundred years after the Prophet's death and the Quran itself was written down as dictated to him between the years 609-632 AD by the angel Gabriel (Jabril) as I understand it. Christianity itself is not quite 2 thousand years old and is predated by Judaism (from which it came). All of them have elements in common with an even earlier religion, later called Zoroastrianism, which had it roots in the area of Iran.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '14

Fun fact: there were already mosques and Muslim prayer centers in the world trade center when it was attacked on 9/11.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Dec '14

And 30,000 posts later......back to square 1.

Calm down people! The OP asked a simple question but of course most of you feed on controversy and jump in giving us "lessons" on how everyone is wrong and you are right. Move on people.....isn't there some other post you can start bashing on now?

JOKER
Dec '14

So right, JOKER !

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/terms.php

Lobo... What?

Phil D. So if I made a mistake in saying thousands instead of hundreds what does that change with regard to what I posted? Does this change anyone's mind? Not really. I'm not looking to convert anyone just spread a little unknown bits of knowledge

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

Usually when I come along and post things quiet down a little bit.
The answer to the OP's question is......again I will answer....

The mosque has already been here
We are not building a new one as far as I know
We already provide classes on Sunday's
We would like to expand and be an accredited learning institution

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

Hope all those that celebrate Hannukah and Christmas had a nice holiday! We had a cute little tree for the 1st time in our new house!

I would prefer if you are going to use the word " terrorist" you preface it by saying " middle eastern" or " Northern Ireland" or " "Iranian" " British" " American" etc... Bc terrorism comes from a place not a religion

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

H-townMama,your saying the Mosque is already there,we are not building a new one,we provide classes on Sunday,and we would like to expnad ! So now we know your a Muslim,welcome to the neighborhood! Isn't freedom of speech great!

"Bc terrorism comes from a place not a religion"

Nitpicking, I know, but "terrorism" (hate that word) comes from *actions* committed by *individuals* - not places or beliefs. Those individuals will come from many different places and can have many different beliefs, and it's the actions of those individuals that can be called terrorism.

Societies have always had people who do horrific things; nothing we can ever do about that except to deal with it.

IMO the trigger word "terrorism" in today's society is used exclusively to generate fear, period, and is used 100% for controlling behaviors today - that's all.

justintime justintime
Dec '14

Uh....HTown Mama was clear about that from her first post in this thread, as well as in previous threads.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Great Posts, but where is Terrorism the strongest today,that is the question,we know what the word means! The third world is the problem today,terrorist cells are the problem,this is why we need to protect Our country!

Lobo
Thank you but I've lived here since 1992 on and off
Freedom of speech is great! It's the only thing ive ever known!
So what happened? Where did everyone go all of a sudden ?

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '14

Do you have freedom of speech within the mosque?

H-town Mama,when you say you lived here on and off,do you mean in and out of the country?Everyone left for a new post,this one is going in circles!I guess the latest and greatest post is about the West Morris teacher who is sleeping with students! What would they do to her in the third world countries?

WOW: I would hate to see what you would all say about the gays in town....

Stay Positive Stay Positive
Dec '14

You people are all freakin nuts!

Painkiller Painkiller
Dec '14

H-town Mama

I appreciate you sharing "unknown bits of knowledge" and wasn't trying to attack you. I've had a number of friends through the years who were followers of Islam and we had good discussions on Islam, Christianity and other religions as well.

My point was that while sharing it is a good idea to try to be as accurate as possible in what you write to avoid people discounting what you write as just so much nonsense, when it actually is not. There is a ten-fold difference between a hundred and a thousand and by saying thousands, you would be placing Islam as much older than it actually is and possibly lose credibility in the eyes of some who are "on the fence" and may actually otherwise have changed their minds.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '14

Phil D. -you are absolutely right!
Lobo- oh my goodness I think I have to end here myself! I was born in California! I am an American but yes I have been out of the country a few times to Europe and Egypt on vacation but no I was referencing the fact that I have moved to other states and other parts of NJ. It's not going in circles only you are because you can't stick with your original thought process. I have created a dent in that so to speak... The teacher in wmm yea.. I knew her! Things like that happen a lot you wouldn't believe!
Ijay- freedom of speech in a mosque? Hmmm kind of a dichotomy there since we are there to pray and listen to the sermon not really speak but yes afterwards we mingle with everyone and I can't think of anything other than cursing or being disrespectful that would get me in trouble! Same thing like what you wouldn't say in church or the synagogue , right?

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Jan '15

"No hats for men, women must be in skirts or dresses, their heads covered, no lipstick. Shorts or other revealing attire are improper in church"

"In the church we stand, men on the right, women on the left. This custom is not to split families but to prevent distraction from prayerful concentration."

"Altar boys and others with business behind the altar use these doors, although no one is to go through any of the doors without an appropriate reason. Altar service - priests, deacons, altar boys - is restricted to males."

Wait, this is Russian Orthodox where separate rules exist for women too. Not as bad but certainly different than for men. Just saying.

Jan '15

"No hats for men, women must be in skirts or dresses, their heads covered, no lipstick. Shorts or other revealing attire are improper in church"
The Google search of this phrase brought me to rules for attending: Greek Orthodox church, Orthodox synagogue, Mormon church, and even to "Papal clothing and liturgical practices". Russian Orthodox traditions definitely have less restrictions for attire, service and everyday life than, let's say, Jewish Orthodox traditions.
Well, even fancy restaurants don't allow patrons to wear shorts, at least during dinner hours (should admit for both genders).

What is the penalty for not following the orghodox rules? Stoning? Stop being so naive and stop trying to put lipstick on the stone age pig

Love4all
Jan '15

Yeah you're right ---- a tough glare is probably as bad as it gets.

Jan '15

Since there is something called freedom of speech, including asking questions, I would think Muslim structures in this town could pose some concern. Along with Spanish signage and foreign workers waiting for a ride to work ON MY FRONT LAWN, perhaps it should be a community concern.

The foreign workers stand right in front of and in the door steps of our local business,and the cops just drive by and look at them!So get use to it,there are two sets of laws,one for the Legals,and one for the illegals!

LoBo, you can't stand on the door steps of our local businesses?

yankeefan yankeefan
Jan '15

We have gays in Hackettstown , no way .

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Jan '15

All foreign workers are illegal

All people standing in doorways are illegal

Hackettstown cops give illegals preferential treatment

Irish need not apply

We know what you are Lobo. We remember you. We have seen you before. Man up, make a citizen's arrest.

Jan '15

Steps of our local businesses? Those are the steps of the apartments they rent, you CERTAINLY can't stand there.

Glad see we have so many different views,and that mistergoogle is so informative! To bad he has nothing else to do,but we enjoy him.I like the statement we know what you are,we remember you,we have seen you before,Man up,instead of hiding behind my computer,I was just trying to fit in,looks like I did! Get a life, you spend the whole day on Hackettstown Forum!

Islam, by their sacred text, is hateful and violent. Look at some of the quotes from their Quran. Look at how they INVADE Europe and the UK and demand Sharia law. There are good muslims, but they are sadly the minority.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Jan '15

",instead of hiding behind my computer,I was just trying to fit in,looks like I did! " Lobo said hiding behind his computer posting on HL all through the day.

And yes, fit in like a glove.....but with who? Your use of the language and your punctuation skills indicate that you are illegal yet the cops have not put you away yet :>)

Jan '15

There are 1.6billion Muslims in the world so to say the peaceful ones are in the minority is a pretty ignorant thing to say.

Darwin Darwin
Jan '15

I"m moving to the area and I have to say I"m concerned by the amount of ignorance some posters show here. I sure hope this is just the minority that think and feel free to espouse their negativity, paranoia, and xenophobia.

The _only_ reason that I can think of for not wanting a mosque in the area would be traffic congestion. I've seen that happen with newly built houses of worship.

Equating a mosque with jihad lessons is like equating a catholic church to NAMBLA.
No one religion has a lock on perpetrators of evil who claim to be representing the religion.

newcomerToHT newcomerToHT
Jan '15

This is an interesting read that I just came across.
http://buzzpo.com/exposed-precise-location-22-terrorist-training-camps-inside-u-s/?utm_content=buffer989db&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=positivelyrepublican

villani villani
Jan '15

And this video too!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153056590344459&pnref=story

villani villani
Jan '15

+1 newcomer

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

You're a breath of fresh air new comer. Of course most people understand the difference between the real threats and the hate filled prejudice. Sure there is a set of old time haters around, but that's definitely not representative of the area.

Thanks.

Most people who equate a mosque to terrorism live in fear of others and things different from themselves. It is not their fault, they are programmed to be that way by Fox News, talk radio and other right wing nut jobs. Sadly they fall for it time and time again. Stop focusing on differences and focus on what we share in common as human beings. I certainly don't want to be held responsible for Timothy McVeigh because I'm a white American male. Fear is a powerful persuader, especially to the weak minded.

lollipopz
Jan '15

I think you meant to say *ALL* media lollipopz, otherwise you're inadvertently including yourself in the group you just described.

I too hope that it's just a very, very vocal minority making the broad-brushed comments. It would indeed be sad if the US vs THEM mentality was pervasive in all of society..

justintime justintime
Jan '15

Villani, funny how clicking on the map link to any of those jihadi camp locations in your link brings up an ad for a casino. Click bait or another terrorist plot?

Newcomer: yea, I link mosques to more than traffic. Elsewhere, i.e. England they are preferred recruiting grounds for jihadis. Here, not so much. Why? Because we continue to be an open and welcoming society (long may it wave!). We've had recruitment (I mean US, not htown), but mostly ratted out. Europe? Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

People, keep in mind: many Muslims in our area came here as the result of the VERY nasty genocide perpetrated by "Christians".

MrCharlie
Jan '15

MrCharlie
It is mostly muslim on muslim violence in the middle east right now..Christians are not involved in it at all

Brad2
Jan '15

I know I do not have "warm & fuzzy " feelings when I see someone masked / covered or hiding under cloth to the point that you can not define if they are man, woman, or otherwise, I have concerns as to their motives, whty do they need to keep their identity unknown.

This country is a melting pot where no one has had to "hide" from divulging who they are.......That is not being racist , that is just a fact of what they do.

I do not feel "comfort" seeing this in a store or on the street ...if this is your religion, excersice it in your place of worship / church, mosque or home..
I don't see why you can come to a foreign country and impose your beliefs on me without my consultation or permission.

In light of what is going on in the world these days, I do not belive it to be intelligent to walk around in that attire in this country .

Just my opinion.

I am of Native American Heritage , so don't even consider racist comments, they are not a consideration in my mind. YOU COME TO AMERICA , ADAPT, ADJUST , SURVIVE like the rest of us have done !

Steven Steven
Jan '15

Brad, I'm well aware of what's going on in the world. Christian's are quite involved, as victims.

Are you aware that the Bosnian muslim's who live around here are largely refugees from the genocide of the 1990s? It's a while ago, I know, but we should not just forget. I put "Christian" in quotes on purpose.

MrCharlie
Jan '15

Steven, I haven't seen too many burkas around here, have you? Like you, I find them repugnant, but I just haven't seen them outside Newark. And there I interpret them as some kind of weird political / black power statement, or may just a crazy scam.

MrCharlie
Jan '15

mistergoogle, you do fit in,correct yourself first,and I'm not illegal,or we would be friends.Thanks for your tips though,what would we do without you !

Mr. Charlie , PLEASE .....never said I find them repugnant.

Have you been to Rockaway mall ? ....geez perhaps Chester that has been mentioned more than a few times, may have been seen there as well.....know anyone living in "the hills" you can visit ?

Only gave my opinion , and yes, all that wear them are making a statement to us , "that we need to adapt to them"....<- that was part of my point.
have a great week !

Steven Steven
Jan '15

Steven What exactly is a native American I am assuming you mean everyone who was born here in America

oldred
Jan '15

Steven, OK you don't find burkas repugnant. I do. Nope, never saw any around here, never saw any at Rockaway mall, never saw any in Chester. I guess I must be stupid. or uninformed, you know, part of that low-information crowd.

MrCharlie
Jan '15

Oldred....not clear what your reaching for ...

you can research that question for an answer and get very subjective interpretations ...
The history of Native Americans in the United States began in the Pre-Columbian era with the settlement of the Americas by the Paleo-Indians. Anthropologists have identified and studied a wide variety of cultures that existed during this era. Their subsequent contact with Europeans profoundly impacted the history....

Steven Steven
Jan '15

I guess he means "original" Native American. And where did they come from, latest research states they walked over from Asia to modern day Alaska. And then we all came from a monkey branch-off in Africa. What does this mean, that everyone comes from the same mold if you go back far enough. And all life good back to the single cell Amoeba in the oceans that decided to split to 2 cells...

Where did this single cell Amoeba come from, probably deep space via an Asteroid. And it goes on and on...

Anyone else find the irony in Steven who says he is Native American complaining that Muslims who come over here should adapt and adjust to our customs like we all did. Really? if that was the case wouldn't we all be dressing, living like the Native Americans were????? Seems like the white man forced everyone that was already living here to adjust to their ways of life and their customs, religions.

Darwin Darwin
Jan '15

"I know I do not have "warm & fuzzy " feelings when I see someone masked / covered or hiding under cloth to the point that you can not define if they are man, woman, or otherwise, I have concerns as to their motives, whty do they need to keep their identity unknown."

Yeah, we know the feeling: "Sgt. Ron King, a firearms instructor and two-year veteran of the force, offered the target of a hoodie-wearing figure at the range near Cocoa during the first week of April, Rosalind Harvey, a port spokeswoman, said Saturday"

No Lobo, we will not be friends.

"This country is a melting pot where no one has had to "hide" from divulging who they are......."
I wonder what country Steve lives in. No Irish need apply.

"I am of Native American Heritage , so don't even consider racist comments."
Ever meet a racist Native American?
"YOU COME TO AMERICA , ADAPT, ADJUST , SURVIVE"

"Only gave my opinion , and yes, all that wear them are making a statement to us , "that we need to adapt to them"..."
Kilts must just about kill him.

Jan '15

is radical islamism enforcing strict islamic law on the rest of us a problem or not?

or should we all just accept their edicts and live like they tell us we have too in order to 'get along' or in order to keep living at all?

can we even talk about this openly without 'offending' the prophet or Islam? is that even possible in this overcharged dangerous environment?

what say you?

when roger maplethorp displayed photos as art of a an inverted cross sitting in a jar of urine did christians go and firebomb the art gallery that hosted the display? or did roger mapplethorpe get stoned in the village square for 'offending' the religion? yes/no and why/why not?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '15

"when roger maplethorp displayed photos as art of a an inverted cross sitting in a jar of urine did christians go and firebomb the art gallery that hosted the display? or did roger mapplethorpe get stoned in the village square for 'offending' the religion? yes/no and why/why not?"

EXCELLENT.

Jan '15

Out of this conversation ( and likely any others ) , too many waiting to pounce when you speak up and give an opinion..

Good bye & good luck to all of you !

Steven Steven
Jan '15

This is getting heavy,Good bye & no time to save the world,Peace!

Nj.com

Justintime Justintime
Jan '15

In the last 15 years there has been more immigration to the USA than at any other given time. Let these guys like mistergoogle and darwin live in one half of the USA with all the newbies and all their lib friends and i guarantee they would be running to the other side real quick where everything was pre-2000 with less crowds, same customs and traditions , more home town feel vibes, more laughing and caring , and the list could go on and on. Sorry New America ain't working folks !!!! Only a blind man would think it is !

Horshey
Jan '15

Perception versus reality

justintime justintime
Jan '15

of course, justintime's "perception" IS "reality".....

Jan '15

JR, aren't you the one agreeing that all news outlets are propaganda, ie BS disguised as "news"? Or is that just non-FOX outlets?

justintime justintime
Jan '15

They're all biased.... I'm just waiting for you to "enlighten us" with what REALITY "really" is.... since you seem to think you, somehow, are completely un-biased....

Jan '15

No JR, just pointing out that you are. But sometimes the obvious needs to be said anyway.

justintime justintime
Jan '15

JIT,

Ditto.

Jan '15

"where everything was pre-2000 with less crowds, same customs and traditions , more home town feel vibes, more laughing and caring , and the list could go on and on."

I'm sorry, where and when was that?

Freedom has always been a struggle; there have always been newbies with different customs and traditions, and they laugh, they care. We call it the melting pot that is America. We were all newbies once.

Jan '15

ok, ok, guys, you both win the 'my lack of bias is bigger than your lack of bias' contest, so you can both zip and buckle back up now,

getting back to a discussion point:

is islamaphobia-phobia part of the reason that many cannot talk about this threat honestly?

the real threat to open democratic free speech principals that radical islamism represents is alarming, agreed?

what do more even tempered moderate muslims have to say about this? anything?

one more question: is the fatwa on Salmon Rushdie still in effect? if yes, does that mean that any 'true' follower of the faith has to kill him on sight as the fatwa instructs? (this is an honest question, i would really like to know)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '15

For the record, I don't claim to be unbiased. I don't think anyone can be, because no one has ALL the information, EVER...and our opinions on matters will always be shaped by our sources, and even our sources are suspect of editorializing. That's my whole point. Calling someone "biased" has NO MEANING anymore, because EVERYONE is biased. JIT used the word "perception", but they are one in the same. The best we can all do is absorb as much information as we can, and hope to form a reasonable opinion based on what we understand to be facts.

And that is much easier said than done in today's world.

It seems to me, there are more people "closing their eyes" to evidence that disagrees with their preconceived notions on this issue... EYES OPEN is the only way to figure this thing out. You can't dismiss a source because it's Fox news, or CNN, or TheReligionOfPeace.....

We must discover the TRUTH. the WHOLE truth, if possible. Again- much easier said than done in today's world.

Jan '15

"Islam is a peaceful religion" has been shown to be at least partially UNTRUE.

"Islam is a violent religion" has been shown to be at least partially UNTRUE.

So, that leaves us somewhere in the middle. Somewhere in the middle is reality. Open your eyes, learn the facts, so we can DEAL WITH IT. Because it does need to be dealt with.

Maybe if pre-war Germany had all the social network and wide-ranging news sources we have today, Nazi Germany wouldn't have been allowed to happen. AWARENESS is key. Be AWARE of what is happening.

Jan '15

This thread is titled Mosque coming to Hackettstown? And on that question I do not know the answer.

Maybe a new thread should be started to discuss people's fears of cultures different then their own?

brown bear
Jan '15

Steven
I just have a problem with that phrase Native American and I have put a few Indians on the warpath with it. I have a problem with a group of people putting themselves out there as the only true Americans. They seem to get a little mad when I have question them about calling themselves Native Americans. Especially at powwows I have attended and once at a bar in Arizona. When they say they are Native Americans I tell them me to when they ask what tribe I'm from I tell them no tribe I was born here. In the first thing out of their mouths is just because you're born here doesn't make you a Native American. And I tell them it's kind of the definition of being native I was born here that automatically makes me a native American. And then I get the no your ancestral heritage makes you Native American and I tell them I believe I am the fourth generation to be born in this country originally settling in Wisconsin. And of course you get the you see your original family immigrated to this country. In this is where they start to get MAD at me I'm tell them so did yours. Yours may go back further than mine your ancestors certainly immigrated from somewhere else. And this is where they really get mad when I ask them exactly how many generations have to go by before you can call yourself a native American 5/10/ 15 this is usually the place where they tell me to F/off because they have no answer to the question

oldred
Jan '15

brown bear here let me try to answer the question of the thread,

There is and has never been a Mosque in Hackettstown. It may have a Htown mailing address for some weird reason, but it is located Mt Olive/Budd Lake.

if you go to their website under expansion, you will see they are looking to expand to a larger facility in Flanders. Again not Hackettstown. Maybe while they were searching for locations, an actual Hackettstown builing was being looked at but it seems they found their new site.

www.isnj.net

they mention that they went from 75 members when it first opened to 200 now and have outgrown their current house of worship.

address of new location will be 104 Bartley Flanders Rd, Flanders, NJ

there a simple google search was all that was needed to find the FACTS.

darwin darwin
Jan '15

Thanks Darwin!

brown bear
Jan '15

no problem, now maybe LngVly22 can sleep better knowing that there was a Mosque near him for the past 8 years and his family was never in danger.

darwin darwin
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.