Suggestions on where to buy a portable generator

I know Mayberry sells them but I thought they were a slight pricey. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions?

Home depot

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Dec '14

Lowes

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '14

Tractor Supply Company

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

I got mine at Tractor Supply.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Dec '14

Mayberry probably has decent prices on Honda equipment, but that brand is always more expensive than the Generacs, etc. that you'll find at Lowes.

One thing... Generac has some models with USA made motors (OHVI) and some models with China made motors (OHV). Get the model #'s from Generac and compare to what the big box stores are selling to make sure you have the price/quality balance you desire.

From their web page:

The engines used on the Generac XP and XG Series of portables are manufactured at our Generac Power Systems, Inc. factory in Whitewater, WI. Generac engines are industrial grade engines designed to provide the ultra-quiet, longer-lasting performance required of portable generators. They also run 30-50 degrees cooler, are 5% more fuel-efficient and reduce oil consumption by 25%.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

Try to avoid the Chinese made models, the engine durability is not very good. I found out the hard way during Sandy!

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Dec '14

look up a company ONAN see what they offer they make all types of power plants I truly loved the natural gas unit we had at work 180kva we have at home a generac 18kvaunit station ary mount unit it all boils down to what you want out of a power plant and don't just look at price READ READ REVIEWS

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Dec '14

I'd keep a very close eye on Craigslist for one if you have the time, know your prices and don't mind waiting for a good deal to pop up. I got some great deals on power equipment over the last few years there namely my lawn tractor (Scotts brand manufactured by John Deere) and my Honda snowblower just to name a few.

My company, Aquatech-USA, sells portable generators and we are a local family owned and run small business. We will first make sure you are sizing the generator to fit your needs. We also assemble the unit, test run the unit, train you on how to properly operate and maintain your generator, and if needed we can deliver the generator to your location. We have a few different models of portable generators in stock. Call my office at 908-852-6110 or stop by our showroom located at 200 W. Stiger St, Hackettstown, NJ 07840. You can also visit our website at www.Aquatech-USA.com.

THEMORP
Dec '14

Look up Electric Generators Direct. Free shipping, no sales tax, free power lift gate.

Pete422 Pete422
Dec '14

Used Generators Direct, there was no tax, no shipping, but extra charge if you needed forklift.

Had a friend use a portable but still put a "transfer switch" in his garage. This let him pick a "Chinese menu" of circuits to power or not power and save the time of running extension cords and still use a portable.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Dec '14

We had gotten a good deal at Harbor Freight.

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Dec '14

Got mine here: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/ I didnt opt for the extra charge for forklift and the truck driver removed the generator from his truck and moved it to my garage. Very happy with mine. As others have said, stay away from brand X motors ie Chinese motors. You'll be sorry when it fails when you really need it.

sack
Dec '14

I can not recommend or remember the brand but the new (small?) "Lots" store at Mansfield Plaza near the theater had very inexpensive ones.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '14

Be careful buying from a box store, a mail order catalog or from an online company can come back to haunt you.

Please remember to support local small businesses. You might pay more for the generator but that extra money that you pay up front is a good investment for the future. It helps you build a relationship with a service center who can offer parts, maintenance supplies, warranty and accessories that will suit your needs.

A good local merchant will have valued experience in selling you the right piece of equipment, the first time and will offer to demonstrate the equipment before you part with your hard earned cash. They will pre-assemble and test run the equipment and then train their customers on how to properly operate and maintain the equipment. A respectable service center should also offer local pick up/delivery, on site service repair, loaner equipment programs and maintenance contracts. You won't get that from an online internet, catalog or box store purchase.

Another benefit is that you keep your dollars within your local community, which in turn, helps keep neighbors employed, keeps businesses in storefronts, which helps keep taxes lower and that saves you money in the long run.

The bottom line is that the old adage is true, you get what you pay for.

THEMORP
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.