New Scam Alert from H-Town Police

Hackettstown Police Department

**SCAM ALERT: Individuals that have accounts with Wells Fargo**

If you receive an email like the one posted below,you should contact Wells Fargo immediately because this email has been determined to be a scam. Make sure you don't click on the link and fill out any of the information that is requested. If you did receive this email and opened the link, make sure you run a virus scan on your computer.

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

Yesterday I got an e-mail supposedly from "Bank of America" regarding an account which I do not have that was identified by my anti-virus program as spam. It was sent to the trash can before even opening it to see what it was about.

Looks like some scammer is being creative

fusselfrei fusselfrei
Dec '14

Email posted below??

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

I've gotten texts like that in the past - from banks I've never dealt with---caution is the word of the day

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

5catsmom, " If you received an email like the one posted below"...could you repost this. It did not show up on your post above. Thanks!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '14

Re: New Scam Alert from H-Town Police

it's on their fb page - let me see if I can copy it - I tried unsuccessfully - maybe a screenshot---this should work

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

Thank you, that works...

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '14

I've seen similar emails to that for over 5 years now. I've even seen them from Westminster Bank, Barclays, and HSBC. Those are all big banks in the UK. Scammers throw emails to the wind hoping to catch just one person. Although the text in the email says the link is to wellsfargo.com, the site it is set to go to is often some web server in Russia, Nigeria, Malaysia, or other foreign country. Many email programs that help you fight that will show you the real site you are about to go to if you just put your mouse over the link without clicking. My email program give an alert right on the screen that the text and the link location are not the same. You get a further big Warning if you actually try to click on it.

What seems to be even more common at the moment is the fake UPS or FedEx email saying "your package is late, click here". The English is wrong in subtle ways like the use of prepositions that don't fit.

This is not new. Its fishing. Happens every minute of every day. And the answer to this problem is simple. Dont click links in emails.

sack
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.