Who wants to go to the movies? "The Interview"

cant believe sony and the theater chains pulled this film.

chalk up a victory point for North Korea.

i want all of us to go see this film now, (i think it may a horrible film for me, BUT to prove a point about freedom i will go see it and pay the 10 bucks admission)

how about you guys ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

It is easy to criticize Sony (or anything) when one doesn't have to face the consequences that Sony does/ would have by showing or not showing the movie. Had Sony shown the movie and 1 Lunatic at even 1 movie theater goes off on a killing spree (not like it hasn't happened b4) then Sony would BLASTED for not taking the threats serious. I thought the basis of the movie was a bad idea anyway. We know KJ Un is a nut case, so why rile him up by making a movie about trying to assassinate him. Yes, it was only a comedy, but how would WE react if the situation was reversed (PLEASE not meant as an opening for Obama haters,or any POTUS). Also B-Dog it is easy to say: i want all of us to go see this film now, to prove a point about freedom i will go see it and pay the 10 bucks admission) how about you guys ? When there is NO MOVIE to see.

Or is this a Sony ploy to boost the film?????????????

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '14

i Have two things to say about this

It was wrong in making the film around the assassination of a real president. If another country did this about one of our presidents (not obama) we would also react somehow. But movies usually use different names, but this one used a actual presidents name, I feel that was wrong, and in a way, taunting north Korea.

On the second aspect, we basically folded to terrorism, something our government is supposedly not suppose to to. We also took our freedom of expression right and flushed it down a toilet for another country. Even obama said it was the wrong move.....but is that the same thing he would of said if the decision of pulling the movie was on his shoulders?

I think Sony should of consulted with government officials before making the call

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

the non- release of this movie has nothing to do with North Korea it's just a convenient excuse Sony is using. In some of the e-mails that were hacked there are some e-mails so damaging to Sony and some of its top executives and some in other companies that just the threat of releasing these e-mails has caused Sony to buckle under pressure this movie will not see the light of day

oldred
Dec '14

They were protecting the American people. S*it does happen. Remember 9/11?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

"I think Sony should of consulted with government officials before making the call"
There's a first :>)

And to keep the first coming: where does Obama get off lambasting Sony's decision to protect it's shareholders and the entire movie industry which could have seen faltering sales during it's holiday revenue season when it's his job to defend us from attacks?

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Dec '14

clyde, you may chose not to believe me, but i was saying this when the hacking scandal first broke out, was not able to comment before this due to a family tragedy which has hit us (my family) in an extraordinarily hard way here during the Christmas season, and it is not a movie i would normally go and pay to see, (we really don't go out much around here, nor do we like to support the wackos out there in lala land, (hollywood)) but i advocate supporting this film strongly now.

its a comedy, a joke, and last i checked this is still america? or am i wrong about that?

btw, fbi and intelligence agencies had no credible information about a real threat, just some hot air from overseas.

north korea - 1; USA - 0

what would the reaction be if the North Koreans hack into news organizations and released emails, personal information and employees home addresses and SS #'s and threatened them with violence against their children if they carry certain stories?

how about if the north koreans threaten news organizations with violence if they dont carry certain stories that they dictate must be shown?

think it all the way through . . . . .it's a short hop from canceling a film to regulating what news gets published,

why are we running scared ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

"think it all the way through . . . . .it's a short hop from canceling a film to regulating what news gets published"

I don't agree with Sony's decision, but it has nothing to do with (U. S.) government censorship. The news agencies already choose what news we see, although we are free to find other sources.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

botheredbyuu2
does that mean if North Korea threatens a terrorist attack on a professional football game we should cancel the whole season or does it mean if North Korea threatens a terrorist attack on a grocery store if anybody buys hamburger on a Wednesday we should shut down all grocery store's you're the kind of person that is so afraid of everything you should feel embarrassed and ashamed to call yourself a American

oldred
Dec '14

A badly executed move on Sony's part - not just the cancelling of the movie but the PR associated with it. For the CEO to say that they did not cave is just laughable.

Ultimately I believe that "the" hackers were able to obtain information that Sony doesn't want released and that is why they canceled the movie. I wish they had worked with other executives and the Government to have come out with a better solution. Sony has created a pretty bad precedent and considering how often hackers are hitting our companies/Government it will be interesting to see if the stakes go higher.

my understanding was the 3 major movie theaters didn't want to show it due to the threats and therefore made Sony's decision not to release it for them.

It's real simple, if Americans all come out and say we give Sony a pass on any info that was stolen and will not hold it against them then there is no damage to Sony. And N Korea mission fails. If our media says we are not going to publish this stolen information or try and make a profit on it than this all goes away. But we are doing what N Korea wants by continue to spread the stolen material all over the place.

darwin darwin
Dec '14

I agree with Darrin that they should not be making movies depicting the killing of a real president, or any real person, for that matter. That being the case, I don't feel bad for Sony, and don't much care that they pulled the movie.

My real concern is, what is coming down the road in terms of cyber attacks?

"I think Sony should of consulted with government officials before making the call"
There's a first :>)

When it comes to terrorist threats, yeah, we shouldn't have a corporation making a decision on how to handle it.

This goes to show that any cyber attack is possible. Many people thought that after the first sony cyber attack they strengthened their security, goes to show that no data is safe, and if someone really wants it, they can get it.

If NK has info sony does not want released, NK has sony by the balls for a while now

Still. making a movie about the assassination of a real person, especially a nut like him was wrong, what did they expect?

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

North Korea is just ants at a picnic,what are we worried about?They are no threat,if they could attack they would! They hide behind there computers, make threats,please,there leader is a brat,so you spank him?

the South Park guys made the puppet movie years ago called Team America. they had a puppet of real life N Korean leader ( the daddy) in it and killed him off. No real protest from North Korea. Seems like the fat spoilled son has less of a sense of humor than is old man did.,

darwin darwin
Dec '14

The North Koreans were still pissed about how Kim Jung-Il was depicted in the movie Team America in 2004. Now that was a funny movie.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '14

Hopefully everyone realizes that the North Koreans are working on a nuclear tipped missile.

They might even get it working eventually, especially with help from the Chinese, who helped them with this hacking job. Remember, Bill Clinton gave Loral the license to give missile guidance technology to the Chinese in exchange for mega-campaign donations, without which he probably would not have won.

Think they will try to use it? Or use it to make really strong demands against us?

Have we been sold down the river by our own corrupt politicians?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Dec '14

Oldred-I can see both sides. I favor the better safe then sorry side. If there's a threat at a store on a certain day, I wont be there.

Dec '14

Wow, Darrin definitely changing spots. Now he wants government control over corporations when terrorist threats to the corporation are involved. What's next: the movie mandate for individuals?

Dec '14

Talk about publicity!!!! Sony will release the movie at some point down the road... They will sell many more copies and make much more money.... As far as North Korea they can't even figure out how to get electricity to its people much less build a nuclear weapon...

Mr tone Mr tone
Dec '14

MG.....stop putting words in my mouth and exaggerating on what I said to make it your own

What I said is "I think Sony should of consulted with government officials before making the call"

A far cry from "Now he wants government control over corporations when terrorist threats to the corporation are involved" as you try to portray

Strawman as usual MG, quite honestly your lies and bending the truth are becoming way too apparent and are causing you to loose a tremendous amount of credibility.

To try to inflate the fact that I said a corporation shouldn't of made a decision on how to handel a terrorist threat from another country is outrageous

I would appreciate it if you stuck to your opinion and left my opinion as I said it, not inflate it to something that it isn't to try to convince people of something I never even said......totally unnecessary and immature on your part

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Whatever reason Sony has for pulling the plug, it's their right to do so. It's ridiculous that they should have asked for approval from the feds first. While I've been a support of Obama, I think it's ridiculous for him (as well as the rest of hollywood) to call out Sony. As Clyde stated (which I agree with wholeheartedly), it's easy when you're not the one who's on the hook.

Regarding NK's use of nukes. They'll never use them. China will make sure of that. They know that they'll be blown off the planet before any of their nukes land. Cyberattacks, however, are the real threat from regimes such as NK, Russia, and China. They don't cost lives and cost relatively little money to execute.

Look at how helpless we were after hurricane Sandy w/o power. If you cripple our banking system or power grid, you'll see some real anarchy.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '14

Lobo - you are ill-informed about the capabilites of North Korea.

Reggie - where did you read that the Chinese helped the North Koreans with the cyber attack on Sony? I have not read (or heard) that.

And obviously, government agencies were advising Sony on the threats. Why would anyone think that the FBI and other intelligence agencies were NOT in the room when Sony made the decision to shelve the movie? It's likely that Sony was advised to pull the movie, and of course Obama has to distance himself from that decision, so that we as a nation do not look like we folded under pressure from NK.

And IMHO, Sony would never have agreed to shelve the movie based on concerns for the American public. They did it because the hackers have way too much damaging information about them, including their top brass.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

I agree with rebecka, the underlying reason Sony pulled it is probably because of whatever info NK got from sony while they were in their system, not because of the terrorist threat.

But the problem is still that to the american public, it looks like sony folded to a terrorist threat, which America is never suppose to do, and because of this the government has gotten involved, but sony made the decision

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

"As far as North Korea they can't even figure out how to get electricity to its people much less build a nuclear weapon..." - Mr Tone

Wow. Newsflash: they've had nuclear weapons for years. And as Reggie pointed out, they are working on getting them onto a long-range missile to put our country within their reach. This is expected to happen within 5 years, according to official government sources. Maybe ask for a subscription to a newspaper for Christmas. It is astounding to me how uninformed so many of us are.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2014/12/20/3605987/sony-exploring-ways-to-release-the-interview/

Sony may be releasing the movie now.

MikeL MikeL
Dec '14

Well excuse me Rebecka...You seem to the expert on everything North Korea...What is fatboy having for dinner tonight??? Was I correct on the electricity part of my statement??

Mr tone Mr tone
Dec '14

Actually you followed consultation with "When it comes to terrorist threats, yeah, we shouldn't have a corporation making a decision on how to handle it." Sure seemed like you didn't want Sony making the decision how to handle it, but hey, maybe I misread.

Oh, and all those accusations. tch tch tch.

Dec '14

If knowing that NK has nuclear weapons makes one an expert for you, may I suggest you raise your standards a bit. Your calling the leader of the nation which you know nothing about "fatboy" is just priceless.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

what will you guys say when they target the papers, the magazines, the tv stations and threaten their employees (and their families) with harm if they go ahead reporting news critical to the North Korean regime?

when salmon rushdie was threatened with the fatwa (death by any muslim who found out where he was hiding) the publishing industry banded together to make sure the book was published.

why is the rest of hollywood not supporting sony at this time?

why are we all running so scared?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

As of yesterday there were a few reputable sources reporting China's involvement.
Here is one:
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-official-north-korea-hacked-sony-and-china-may-have-helped-2014-12

Dec '14

MG so....

"When it comes to terrorist threats, yeah, we shouldn't have a corporation making a decision on how to handle it."

became

"Now he wants government control over corporations when terrorist threats to the corporation are involved."

I didn't say the government should of stepped in, I said sony should of consulted the government.......big difference

The terrorist threats i am referring to were not to sony, I do remember them saying the would go 911 on us?

How about you add valuable info to the OP rather then following my posts like a little puppy nit picking on everything I say just because you have a person vendetta from being proven wrong time and time again when it comes to guns?

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Thanks, Reggie. Good article.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

Omg, terrorist threats over a friggen movie are at the same level as 911??? If that's really true we have much bigger problems and one stupid movie won't make a difference.

Either you're right Darrin and the world is going to end soon, or you listen to too much fear mongering and the bulk of what's reported is meant to drive you to a predetermined conclusion. Which it is I can't say, but give is propaganda works I know which way I lean...

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

North Korea is all bluster. Yes they have a huge Army, but its starving just like the rest of the N. Korean population. They have a lot of armaments, but how many actually work? Very old style technology, worse than Iraq had at the beginning of the Iraq war. He had thousands of tanks but they were all taken out within a few hours.
It would be great to knock down their army and just slap that pudgy idiot in the face.
I could easily see N. Korean troops surrendering by the thousands when they realize they are free of their dictator. Even as war prisoners they would have a better life with more food than they have now..The North doesn't even turn on lights in their country at night.

boobalaa boobalaa
Dec '14

"Iraq war. He had thousands of tanks but they were all taken out within a few hours. "

That must have been in large part due to superior American tank projectiles, the designer of those things really knows what he is doing, obviously. I mean, the M829A1s went right thru those Russian turrets...

Dec '14

JIT, Darin was referring to one of the threats the hackers made. It stated any movie theater that showed the film word be attacked and to remember the 11th of September. He wasn't comparing the 2 he just stated that the hackers promising to attack the movie theaters that showed the film

Darwin Darwin
Dec '14

I personally think making a movie about a standing president is disrespectful. I don't care who they are and trust me you would have been up in arms if it was done about one of ours. America needs to practice respect. Anyone who has lived in Europe or other countries understands what I'm saying.

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Dec '14

I know Darwin, I guess I was referring to what that threat actually meant. I mean, anyone can make the same threat at any time, correct? What gives credibility to it, the N.Korean connection? Let me ask this: if the investigation is necessarily in it's early stages how can anyone "know" who's responsible, or if those responsible are in a position of power in N.Korea? Once again we're programmed to assume the worst, allowing our fear "terrorism" (essentially the fear of the unknown) to dictate what we do.

Sony can release the movie or not. Just as you can go see the movie or not. If all it takes is a vague threat of "terrorism" to keep you from attending the show then so be it. At least it's your choice.

My choice? I wouldn't pay money to see a juvenile movie like that anyway, so I guess I'm biased toward my own safety ;-)

justintime justintime
Dec '14

Thank you darwin, that is exactly what I ment

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

It was due to superior weapons in general, The Warthog, our Artillery, our Abrams with depleted uranium sabot rounds, but most important our well trained, well fed and organized troops which showed great determination once set in motion. Of course they were stopped before completing the job. Our military is second to none, but our politicians are gutless. But the Military answers to an elected President as it should be , right or wrong. Its what makes our Country great..

boobalaa boobalaa
Dec '14

No need for Terrorists to make threats or launch nuclear bombs to start a war. All they need to do is post a thread here on HL

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Dec '14

Kit Kat - I agree with you. Making a movie about the assassination of a sitting leader of a country is just plain disrespectful and wrong. Almost everything about this fiasco was wrong. The movie shouldn't have got green-lighted by the studio, the studio shouldn't have been able to have been hacked, the hackers were obviously in the wrong... and then was Sony right or wrong to shelve it? That I can't answer. I can only imagine the threats that were being made to the insiders. Threats we will likely never know about. I would think that they had to be pretty credible and consequential (most likely to Sony chiefs, maybe also to the public) for a movie of this size to be quashed.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

clyde; i started this thread, are you calling me a terrorist?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

I would love to see the movie.....BECAAUSE I am a HUGE Seth fan!

Christine Christine
Dec '14

Wasn't there a Movie made about killing "President" George Bush? No one made a stink about that. Oh that's right what happens in America stays in America. Oops sorry, not any more.

auntiel auntiel
Dec '14

A Japanese owned company pulls a movie because of their poor internet security and doesn't want any more of it's dirty laundry leaked and that somehow becomes an attack on America ? I don't get it especially since it's just another awful Franco/Rogen buddy comedy that would have fallen on it's face had it been left alone .This is The End anyone - one of the worst movies I've ever seen . See the latest Hobbit movie , it totally rocks ! And I don't usually care for those movies , just hadn't gone to the movies since the awful Sin City sequel in August and enjoyed the second Hobbit flick on HBO. Non-stop action and Legolas actually runs out of arrows (gasp!) in this one .

Zombo Zombo
Dec '14

Zombo... the attack on america came from North Korea when they said the would "go 911" ion any movie theater that played the move. That, in this day in age, is a terrorist threat

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

North Korea didn't say they would go 911 , some hacker group that calls itself Guardians of Peace operating out of that country did . If you believe some computer nerds in Asia have the ability to do that better check under the bed tonight for the boogie man . Like Wolfman Jack used to say He Gonna Getcha ! But like I said that lame movie would've died a quick death all on it's own if they had just let it die in the cinema , which it would have done . They just gave publicity to a bad movie that would've bombed all on it's own at the box office . At worst they kept a bad movie by a Japanese owned company from being released . Making a big deal out of nothing seems to have become the Mare-kin way anymore . Maybe Hollywood should sic skinny arms Rob Lowe on them ?

Zombo Zombo
Dec '14

You are right, it did come from the group, but I was under the understanding that the group was lead by the Korean government? Weather it came from the country, or a group, it is still a terrorist threat

I found what the hackers (supposingly) actually said:

Warning

We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places “The Interview” be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.

Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.

The world will be full of fear.

Remember the 11th of September 2001.

We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.

(If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)

Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

All the world will denounce the SONY.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/12/16/sony-pictures-hackers-invoke-911-while-threatening-theaters-that-show-the-interview/

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Further:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/20/sony-hackers-guardians-of-peace-troll-fbi-fbi-is-the-best-in-the-world.html?source=TDB

justintime justintime
Dec '14

Sony should be denounced for ruining Spider-Man with that awful movie they released this spring ! That great American and defender of the First Amendment Larry Flynt isn't backing down though .

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/19/the-interview-porn-hustler-sony/

Zombo Zombo
Dec '14

from the Washington Post - among other news outlets: North Korea's shaky Internet infrastructure has been suffering from widespread outages this week, North Korea watchers said, who added that the network failures were highly unusual, even for the reclusive nation.
Hmmm- wonder how that happened

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

You have to imagine every hacker is taking a shot.

Dec '14

"Key North Korean websites were back online Tuesday after an hours-long shutdown that followed a U.S. vow to respond to a cyberattack on Sony Pictures that Washington blames on Pyongyang. The White House and the State Department declined to say whether the U.S. government was responsible for the shutdown in one of the least-wired countries in the world."

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korean-websites-back-online-shutdown-031509454.html

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

independent DOS attacks launched at the same time in aggregate could do this, but i'm not getting that feeling from the news reports.

could be the geeks in the basement of the NSA, but at this point it's unknown,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Denial of Service attacks leave very obvious trails right back to where they come from. Everyone would know exactly who did it. By all reports no one has to do anything at all to cause yesterday's outage. North Korea isn't worth spending 10 seconds on. Not their internet, and not any movie.

DOS attacks? Lol I can't help but think there are all BLUE screens across North Korea right now, Bill Gates would be so proud!

"A fatal exception has occured at (insert presidential address here)..."

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

The movie has a stupid plot... you want to make a movie about killing a current dictator? not surprising the outcome. also when threats are being made to the theaters who are going to be showing the film on christmas day - something had to be done. this kind of thing just brings all the nuts out of the woodwork and who knows what would have happened at one of the theaters... and we're supposed to pretend like its nothing. i wouldn't take my family to a theater that had that crap playing.

Poppy Girl
Dec '14

Darrin,

You wrote :It was wrong in making the film around the assassination of a real president. If another country did this about one of our presidents (not obama) we would also react somehow.

I agree it was wrong to make a film about the assassination of a real president of any nation...but am I correctly reading that you feel we would not react or be upset at a film depicting the death of our current President? Wow. Please clarify on that before I jump down your throat.

eperot eperot
Dec '14

Good clarification, and thanks for asking, it was meant as a joke considering many people are very unhappy with what obama has been doing in and to our country

Don't take it for any more then that, there is already too much of that on this forum and it is getting quite tiresome, and I certainly don't need any more pissy arguments on a darn forum like nobody has anything better to do two days before Christmas thank you

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Wasn't there a film out called Death of a President in 2006? Wasn't it about killing George W Bush? I don't remember any outrage. Did anyone jump down anybody's throat over that?? Not to my recollection.

auntiel auntiel
Dec '14

auntiel - You might want to look up Hillary Clinton's condemnation of that movie.

Looks like they'll be showing the movie after all in very few theaters across the country, but showing nonetheless

Developing news - the movie is being released online today (Google Play and many others).

+1 poppygirl (1 day ago)

Dec '14

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/547800431586725889/photo/1

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/24/7447267/sony-will-release-the-interview-online-today-at-1pm-et

sack
Dec '14

It was so stupid!!! We watched it tonight. Sony could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and just never made it at all.

Classic publicity stunt all along.

my son downloaded the movie - so glad i didnt pay to see it ! I was curious to see what the hype was all about. I woiuld not be surprised if this was a publicity stunt....

htown newbie htown newbie
Dec '14

If you're a Rogen / Franco fan you will like this movie. Not as good as pineapple but still funny.

sack
Dec '14

Personally, I wouldn't bother. The last movie "Neighbors" was funny to my sister and her DH, but what a bore it was to me. The previews didn't seem to be able to make this one funny enough for me to bother watching either. But then, that's just my own opinion and I wouldn't see a movie I didn't think I'd like, even if it was to slap some (possibly N. Korean) hackers figuratively "in the face".

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '14

Probably was not even as good as "This is the End"?

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.