Two NYC Cops shot dead in revenge for Eric Garner and Michael Brown

Two cops shot execution style sitting in squad car in Brooklyn. The shooter then turns the gun on himself and dies. I wonder if there will be any protesters out there on this.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '14

Confirmed yet or assumed?

Justintime Justintime
Dec '14

Confirmed. It's just amazing to me how people are this sick and twisted. This close to the holidays no less.

Prayers for the family and friends of the two deceased officers. Senseless killing. May they rest with honor.

Absolutely senseless, prayers to the families, may the killer rot in hell for what he did.

from another post

https://www.facebook.com/Thankyounypd/posts/389527784549214

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Re: Two NYC Cops shot dead in revenge for Eric Garner and Michael Brown

I posted this on another thread. See attached picture from the Facebook page of the killer, and the link to the page that posted it. Judge for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/Thankyounypd/photos/pcb.389527784549214/389525361216123/?type=1&theater

Denis Denis
Dec '14

Those poor families. My condolences.....

Christine Christine
Dec '14

Another senseless tragedy - prayers for the families and all of the Officers out there.

To kill two random police officers who had nothing to do with what happened is absolute retarded logic....and this guy thought he would be a hero, looser

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

And where is Reverend Al? I guess he doesn't need this kind of photo-op.

justwondering justwondering
Dec '14

Rotten piece of $hit, took the cowards way out with a bullet to his head. He new he was committing murder in the first degree. Two innocent people dead who most likely have babies at home. I blame the garbage who insight this kind of madness. You know who you are!! GUILITY all of you. That families blood is on YOUR hands. Savage pigs.

auntiel auntiel
Dec '14

Gunmen had apparently also killed his ex-girlfriend in Maryland last night as well

The Rev's statement :

"I have spoken to the Garner family and we are outraged by the early reports of the police killed in Brooklyn today, Any use of the names of Eric Garner and Michael Brown, in connection with any violence or killing of police, is reprehensible and against the pursuit of justice in both cases.

We have stressed at every rally and march that anyone engaged in any violence is an enemy to the pursuit of justice for Eric Garner and Michael Brown. We have been criticized at National Action Network for not allowing rhetoric or chanting of violence and would abruptly denounce it at all of our gatherings. The Garner family and I have always stressed that we do not believe that all police are bad, in fact we have stressed that most police are not bad.

We plan to hold a press conference in the morning to express our outrage and our condolences to the families and the police department. Details to follow."

Via BuzzFeed

http://nypost.com/2014/12/20/2-nypd-cops-shot-execution-style-in-brooklyn/

Why is there tension between NYPD and the NYC mayor? I am out of that loop

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

It's because he has made several comments against the NYPD

http://nypost.com/2014/12/12/cops-to-de-blasio-stay-away-from-our-funerals/

Nosila Nosila
Dec '14

Oh, okay, I knew about what he said at a press, but didn't realize the revolt from police officers it created

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Link please where it states this tragic shooting had anything to do with the protests.
Ive been watching the news and as far as I can tell,there is no connection.
Prayers to the families of the policeman killed.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

? What do you need bothered, his freaking Facebook said you took one of ours now we will take two for yours and had hashtags rip brown and the garner guy.... How much more evidence you need that there was a connection, do you own looking or start by looking at what has already been posted

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

This is the result of the Rev. Al, Obama and deblasio. Time to put these welfare sucking savages in the ghettos to work. When will they realize the Police are their neighbors, relatives. Shop in the same stores, kids go to the same schools. They are being portrayed as some type of occupying force . They are the only defense from criminals we all have...When will these communities take responsibility for themselves and their children and communities, They are the solution for their problems. No amount of money or entitlements will help.

boobalaa boobalaa
Dec '14

the dude wounded his girlfriend in Baltimore before driving up to NYC. Obviously very unstable and was likely to cause more violence of some kind, seems like he used these cases as a catalyst for his anger. Kind of like a school shooter acting out their rage on a target they can justify in the moment. The questioning of police actions' can't be blamed for one man's violent act.

kepa
Dec '14

I can't wait to read about all of the cops and white people that will be out protesting and looting as a result of this.
Oh...wait...

btownguy btownguy
Dec '14

All of these protests are ridiculous. What is it doing
To strengthen the relationship between the police
And the minority groups. If any person regardless
Of race or national origin commits a crime and
Resists arrest they should be ready to face the
Consequences!
As for the mayor of NYC he is putting his personal
Beliefs based on his own family dynamics before the
community he governs. NYC residents should
Ask for his resignation.
My heart goes out to the family both in blood
And brotherhood of the 2 fallen officers. May you
Rest in peace.

Cops wife Cops wife
Dec '14

Sharpton is total scumbag & your President allows him in the Whitehouse how many times 20+?

Google Tawana Brawley & that's all you need to know about Sharpton & I guess the President if he throws his hat in with that ilk...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations

Sharpton?

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

how come the mayor telling his children to be careful around white cops because there may be problems in their lives is okay, but telling white children to be careful around black people is racist?

makesnosense
Dec '14

No backing down. Act like savages, get treated like savages. There is a problem of epidemic proportions in the black community. The mayor has a black wife and black looking kids, the presidential family is black, I understand they want to "better" their people but personal accountable among the black community never seems to be part of the equation. Only Bill Cosby mentioned this, called the spade a spade, however he has been "uncovered" as a less than appropriate role model these days...

Didn't see that Darrin. Thanks. He's a lone wolf (nut). No connection to the Garner family. Just a nut!

Dec '14

Al Sharpton where are you,won't you get all the white people together and start protesting all over America? Your not a Racist are you ?Maybe you could show us how to loot,and burn things,and flip over cars,maybe get Obama involved,call Jackson get him involved,are they Racist too,we didn't know that !

I tell my kids to be careful always, around cops, groups, cars, swimming pools, and more.......

de Blasio started tweaking the cops running on a stop stop and frisk platform.

Then the famous mayor's comment about telling his mixed race son to be careful around cops.

Then during the summer the mayor sat by as Rev Al blasted top cop Bill Bratton when all three were on the same podium.

Bratton and de Blasio seem to get along, or at least not engage in open warfare.

So, stop and frisk, cop care comments, and rev Al support but not Bratton defense, keeps tweaking the rank n file.

Now "hands are literally dripping with blood because of his words, actions and policies" statements by the PBA is certainly over the top escalation far more inflammatory beyond anything de Blasio has done. And certainly "NYPD officers have been directed to arrest people only if "absolutely necessary" as cops adjust to working in a "wartime police department," according to a police union memo obtained by AOL News. Absolutely NO law enforcement action in the form of arrests and or summonses is to be taken unless absolutely necessary and unless an individual must be placed under arrest"

Top it off with Pataki tweating: “Sickened by these barbaric acts, which sadly are a predictable outcome of divisive anti-cop rhetoric of #ericholder & #mayordeblasio. #NYPD,” Mr. Pataki tweeted on Saturday night." and I think we have a spark in the tinderbox situation.

Meanwhile we have a nut from Baltimore who went off the reservation shooting his girlfriend and driving to NY to commit suicide by cop via violent attack. NYPD had a 30-minute or more heads up via fax by Baltimore police based on the perps web posting indicating where he was going and what he was going to do.

So that's the rap; personally I don't think de Blasio is anti cop, just wanted stop and frisk to stop, have black men be respectful to cops so they don't get shot, but he should have defended his top cop with the Rev. Don't think this murder is really about Garner, etc., but a convenient way for another nut with a gun to express himself.

But the PBA and Governor comments are not helpful and this tinderbox going to burn until it runs low on fuel. Good luck Mr. Mayor. Remember, crime is down, cops is good, mostly, and I like going to NY, it's safe and fun ---- please don't ruin that for me.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Dec '14

Can't wait to see the huge public outcry from the minority communities on this.

Philliesman Philliesman
Dec '14

"NYPD had a 30-minute or more heads up via fax"

Geez, what year is this? It probably got lost under the other faxes with Chinese food menus and travel agent deals...

" just wanted stop and frisk to stop"

I 100% agree with this. Simply being in public is not cause for being detained, even temporarily.

"NYPD officers have been directed to arrest people only if "absolutely necessary"

Oh the *horror*... they actually need evidence of a crime before arresting someone?

"Don't think this murder is really about Garner, etc., but a convenient way for another nut with a gun to express himself."

Couldn't resist, huh? Despite the clear social media message about it being revenge driven? Must be the NRA's fault, right? But I thought they are all old fat white guys. What's a young black male doing in their ranks?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

Chillax, lower thy radar. It was another nut with a gun expressing himself. It's too early to know much else except he seemed to be a gang member with many arrests. Not saying much else at this time especially about blame, much less the NRA.

Agree on the technology, fax seems a bit old, elsewhere I read a "digital message" with picture but again, still a bit early.

Dec '14

Another officer in Florida killed.. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/21/police-officer-shot-and-killed-in-florida-authorities-say/

Brad2
Dec '14

"personally I don't think de Blasio is anti cop, just wanted stop and frisk to stop, have black men be respectful to cops so they don't get shot"

My sentiments as well.

The comments by the PBA, as well as the literal blue wall physically turning their backs on DeBlasio as he walked past yesterday, are going to escalate a problem that could have been handled to one that may very well spin out of control.

Everyone should be very careful in this environment, that's for sure.

" If any person regardless
Of race or national origin commits a crime and
Resists arrest they should be ready to face the
Consequences!"

True, but those consequences need to be within the authority given to law enforcement officers, which many people see as the problem. With the on-demand availability of video capture today it's fairly easy to catch the small percentage of force-happy LEOs overstepping their bounds. If the NYPD and others really wanted to make a statement they should support dealing with those in their ranks who are causing the problems in the first place instead of protecting them at all costs and pretending that no LEO can ever do wrong. IOW, the police can fix this immediately by taking a conciliatory tone, even if it's not really conciliatory.

justintime justintime
Dec '14

+1 justintime

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

i haven't seen or heard any statements from deblasio on this? did i miis them?

have any of you got a link or a quote ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

Deblasio is a liberal Al Sharpton ass kissing piece of Sh*t. There is blood on his hands!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Dec '14

Do you really think these guys put on their bullet
Proof vests, strap on holsters and say hmm let's go
Kill or beat up a black or Spanish person?. Most of them are walking
In praying for a quiet night. Their actions are not
Premeditated they are driven by the specifics of
Each situation. Don't pass judgement police are not given
Manual as how to react to each situation. They are given guidelines
Here Is a thought. If these people would stop breaking
The law there wouldn't be any reason for them
To have any type of negative interaction with the
Police.
Trashy people are the problem not the police!

Cops wife Cops wife
Dec '14

Prayers for the MOS and their families.

skippy skippy
Dec '14

BDog: de Blasio has been pretty low key on this letting Bill Bratton communicate the issue. Probably feels like he got a frying pan in the face after seeing all those blue backs. Plus, how does he get out of this spinning vortex until the spin slows just a bit.

It all the other watchers fanning the fires helping this fire reach out of control proportions. Now its Ghouliani spouting off. Giuliani says de Blasio should apologize, has let the protests get out of hand, and should focus on fatherhood, education and seeking opportunities in poor communities instead of picking on police. What? Ruti, ruti, ruti ----- since when have you ever focused on fatherhood, education or poor community opportunities? Do you even know anything about that besides cutting budget? Anything to get that FOX stipend hey rudolfo........

Dec '14

De blasio will never condem a black man who commits a crime. He will do what all libs are going to do, stick his head in the sand.

Philliesman Philliesman
Dec '14

De blasio is a liberal ass clown!!! He has no back bone, leadership abilities and people skills.. Anyone who would cater to Al Sharpton should not be in charge of a large city much less a McDonald's.....

Mr tone Mr tone
Dec '14

Amen
Mr tone

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Dec '14

Philliesman, I think there are more than enough buckets of sand to go around...

justintime justintime
Dec '14

I think you can mourn the senseless killing of police officers AND mourn the senseless killings at the hands of police. It is not one or the other; it is and can be both. Both Al Sharpton (who I do not care for) and President Obama (who I also don't care for) spoke out against the killings of the police officers. It is ridiculous to say that the blood of the police officers who were murdered is on anyone's hands but the lunatic who killed them. It is extremely inflammatory for the police union president to suggest anything else.

Birdie Birdie
Dec '14

The problem I see is people have taken two cases which IMHO have been proven to have not been police brutality or profiling, or anything other then a policeman doing their job correctly, and these people have convinced themselves of "what happened" (meaning what they think happened) based on lies, stories they heard, or whatever other source of info that have listed to that spread these lies to rile people up.

The civil un-rest is reaching a breaking point and something needs to be done, officials taking sides is getting us nowhere other then growing each team against each other

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

"You're ruining the conservatives' fun! Party pooper :/"

Yep, I'm sure every single officer in NY is a conservative, huh?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

+1 copswife,
bottom line is for anyone black or white, do not resist , do not commit a crime small or large in the first place and if you did, cooperate and submit with the Police and cry foul later. Blacks want equal rights but don't want equal responsibility either in their communities or in their own family lives...
Garner would have gotten a simple summons to appear in court, not much more than a traffic ticket but he decided after being arrested over 30 times before for selling loose cigarettes and other petty crimes , to chose this time to resist.
At most Brown would have been arrested for shoplifting and maybe a simple assault, but no, he had to decide to try to punch a cop and try to take his gun. Bad choice that. Where were his parents when it was time to tell their son don't steal...
With equal rights and freedoms come equal responsibilities both as a citizen and more importantly a person in our country...

boobalaa boobalaa
Dec '14

The Internal Affairs division within the NYPD does a good job at weeding out bad cops once it is brought to their attention. The PBA along with any other Union always goes to bat for their members so no surprise there, it's just getting a lot more attention due to the recent grand jury decision. The mayor through the cops under the bus when he said the assault on two Lieutenants which was on tape as " alleged assaults". He also sat quietly as All Sharpton criticed Commissioner Bratton while Bratton was sitting next to him. Unfortunately the NYPD has lost all faith in the Mayor. Giuliani should take a que from former President Bush who has stated he will not criticize his successor but he is getting paid to be a commentator. The Governor of Missouri made a big mistake by not calling out the National Guard and telling the price to do nothing whle people's businesses were looted and burnt down by criminals. I guess MG doesn't remember NYC when Mayor Dinkins was Mayor, Giuliano came in and cleaned up the mess he left behind. I don't see the criticism of Blomberg who didn't cave into the Unions. and was a big proponent of Stop & Frisk.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '14

De blasio, can now climb the blue wall, put before him! I guess his only friend is Sharpton now!

Cops wife

don't pass judgment on police. And a few sentences down you write trashy people are the problem not the police. Please define trashy people it's obvious you and your husband have a bias against people you to think are trashy are you and your husband passing judgment on trashy people sounds like it to me so why wouldn't I assume and most likely does !!!!!!!! that when you're husband pull's over a rusted out old pickup truck he is going to treat the driver differently than you would a another person driving a top-of-the-line BMW your one of those people who think money equals class and if you don't have it your trashy your husband is one of those cops they need to be fired for having preconceived notions of people classy good trashy bad

oldred
Dec '14

KB: I agree de Blasio made many messaging mistakes and the Sharpton sit-down was deplorable especially since Bratton seems to back de Blasio up all the time. Maybe being fired by Giuliani tempered him....

And while crime was rampant under Dinkins and you have to give credit to Giuliani for cleaning it up; it's not that cut and dry. First, the crime decrease started under Dinkins and I think he owns the highest percentage drop in a year. Probably helps when you start at the top.... Also, Dinkins started the budgeting to add cops, Clinton added 70,000 nationwide between 94 and 2000 while Giuliani reigned. Not to mention that crime nationwide went down which Giuliani benefited from. And that his broken-windows theory has pretty well been shattered. Again, NYC crime went down more than the nation; however he got it down and whoever helped; Giuliani owns the result.

But even given that, his remarks were not appropriate coming from him and to add all these things that de Blasio should be focused on, that Giuliani did not ---- seems a bit hypocritical. That's what I was trying to say, not trying to take away from his crime prevention record.

Dec '14

Just a little background cops wife I had to deal with police state and local for most of my adult life and they are some of the worst people I have ever met from harassing my workers because they thought my PBA donation wasn't big enough I had a cop actually tell me he wanted me to fire 2 -N-word's and higher his brother and cousin when I told him to F-off my company trucks and cars were ticketed every day so don't give me this crap about how good the police are I know better because I've actually had to work with them

oldred
Dec '14

oldred, would you feel different if your wife was a cop? After what just took place,you are going to bash cops?I think you have a lot of anger going on,take a chill pill!

Pompous POS Sharpton.
He only calls for peace because he may be next. This jackass is more concerned that the killer invoked the names of Michael Brown and Eric Garner than he is over the executions. Never once has he offered condolences to the cop's families or even condemned the murderer. And if he's getting death threats, he brought them on himself. And I'm still waiting for him to admit he and Tawana Brawley lied. 27 years has not healed the wounds this idiot has caused the city and country.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Dec '14

If his wife was a cop he would hold a card or badge which would grant him special treatment from the law. He wouldn't have any of those issues.

john z john z
Dec '14

Whether you hate Al or not, a December 20th tweet from Al Sharpton:

"An eye for an leaves the whole world blind. We all at NAN express our prayers and condolences to the families of the 2 NYC officers."

Say it ain't so Mr. Negative.

From USA Today, 12/21
"Al Sharpton condemned the violence and said it was "reprehensible" that anyone ... "Everybody's talking about killing a cop, that you've got to take a cop out for Eric Garner."

Condolences and condemnation: Sharpton: 2 Mr.Negative: 0

Dec '14

Well said oldred. +1

Dec '14

LoBo
exactly what did happen the cops were killed in a senseless act. It's not the president's fault it's not the reverends fault it's not the mayor of New York's fault it's the fault of a mentally ill individual. Just like at Sandy Hook it was not the mothers fault it wasn't the NRA's fault it was the fault of a mentally ill individual. I see a pattern here maybe we should stop cutting funding from mental illness hospitals in should start giving them more John z is right if my, wife was a cop I wouldn't have to worry about getting tickets I have always told my children I will help you out in whatever career you choose in life my only exceptions are becoming a politician or a cop

oldred
Dec '14

I agree. This was a senseless act of one mentally ill individual who happened to latch on to a "cause" to give himself a reason to commit murder.

May the families of the fallen officers somehow manage to find a modicum of peace this holiday season.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

OKdoky, now we got mental illness and guns going........... Wonder if it's a defect in the mental health reporting system. Still awaiting the details but now you can get on your treadmill Mark.

Dec '14

I think we are all have a mental illness. I wonder who is the Judge.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

Mg - in my personal opinion, Oldred brought up the most interesting aspect of this event so far. And when he said it, a lightbulb went off in my head. This isn't *really* a story about race relations and the actions of grand juries and LE officers, it's a story about how someone who is mentally ill can go without getting the care he needs in this country. Oh, this is a much more complex topic, and one which likely won't even be discussed on the national media level unless it furthers someone's political agenda... but it's the real topic here. It's not even something that can be discussed here on HL with any real depth or thought, either, again IMHO. Because all that will ensue is knee-jerk, shoot-from-the-hip, politically polarized ("I'm right, you're wrong") vitriol. Sadly, it's so much easier to point to the divide between left and right than to think deeply and have a productive discussion about an important issue. It will be a matter of minutes before someone brings up Obamacare, and the next person blames the President for the actions of the murderer. Others will start the gun debate all over again (maybe you already did) with "how did a mentally ill person get a gun OMG there are too many GUNS in this country!" Again, a surface issue, and one that has been discussed ad nauseum here. What a shame no one will discuss the "hard stuff."

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

I saw the killer's sister on the news saying her brother needed help and "the system" wouldn't give it to him

So they wanted some one to come to them and offer help? How about you, as his sister offer to help? ever think of that? She did not once mention trying to help him, as his sister, only that the system wouldn't offer help

If you try to arrest them, you are a raciest.....if they kill someone, the system failed them

All I keep hearing is excuses for actions

SMH

the word "Mental illness" has become a scapegoat for making poor decisions, and then trying to make it seem alright

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Rebecka - you are right on target - and if any proof were needed, it's all in Darrin's post.

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

Darrin - I certainly agree that the insanity defense is attempted in many cases where the individual was in no way mentally ill at the time of the crime. Here, though, all indications are that Brinsley was mentally ill, and more than just a touch so. His sister's attempts at getting him help through the system were exactly the right course of action. A family member -- or an entire family for that matter -- cannot come up with proper care and treatment for a mentally ill individual.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

Also, it's not about making excuses for this lone gunman, but getting to the root of the larger societal problem to lessen the potential for future such events.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

her is a article found more explaining his mental state, of course, none of this comes out until it is too late

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/22/nyregion/new-york-police-officers-killer-was-adrift-ill-and-vengeful.html?_r=0

I am sure more info will be to follow

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

A starting point to me is, to start changing the terminology, Everything today is a war. The war on drugs. the war on women, the war on crime, the war on religion, War requires the devaluation of a life if they don't agree with you. There was a time when the 10 commandments were referred to in conversations and social settings as a guide. In many homes it was referred to while raising our children, even where religion was not practiced. "TODAY IT'S WAR, OR FIGHT" IMO

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

Rebecka: first --- one girl's vitriol is another boy's active discussion. The beauty of the anonymous discussion is the emperor has no clothes, myself included. Even if the poster is inciting riot, we still see that for what it is. I think that's good.

Most often it's just ardent debate and only when personal generalities are thrown or the merits of the facts go out the window do I sigh. Darrin does that a lot, in the case of this thread he is making a bunch of incorrect assumptions about the sister's actions and generalizing conclusions for the entire society based on these bad assumptions.

Meanwhile Rebecka, the issue of mental health ultimately will roll to entitlements and no matter what you believe, as a nation, we should do, we undoubtedly are not going to fund it for quite some time. Not only do we not have the money, but the science is pretty squishy meaning the chance for fraud is higher than safe welfare. And it's hard enough to lend a governmental hand to a poor starving person much less someone who claims a mental health issue.

Now we don't know how Brinsley got his gun, but selling guns to those deemed mentally unfit should be something we can easily do something about.

Dec '14

A couple things...

Perhaps people would be more willing to get mental health care if doing so didn't automatically remove some of your Constitutional rights, for LIFE, without due process.

This man had a long violent criminal history, but the revolving door of justice ensured he was continually released back into society rather in jail where he belonged. There were NO gun control laws that stopped him... not the felon prohibition, not the NJ carry laws (if he drove through the state with a loaded weapon), not the NY SAFE act which limits magazines to 7 rounds (he had at least 10), not the large "gun free zone" called NYC , not the law against murder... So, just one more law would do it, right?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

@mg:

Paragraph 1: "The beauty of the anonymous discussion is the emperor has no clothes, myself included." I know the story of the emperor, and have no idea what your analogy means. And I, for one, do not post anonymously.

Paragraph 2: a personal jab at Darrin. So gratuitous and pointless, and adds nothing to the discussion.

Paragraph 3: attempt to make the issue all about politics, and say it can't be solved because of Washington. Washington does not hold the answer to all of this society's issues. "... the science is pretty squishy meaning the chance for fraud is higher than safe welfare." I can't for the life of me figure out what this means.

Paragraph 4: attempt to once again to start the gun debate, make this issue come down to gun control, and blame pro-gun-right groups for what happened.

It's just as I stated before:

It's not even something that can be discussed here on HL with any real depth or thought, either, again IMHO. Because all that will ensue is knee-jerk, shoot-from-the-hip, politically polarized ("I'm right, you're wrong") vitriol.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

P1 = Emperor = we still things as they are, less masks. You remain anonymous to me IMHO.

P2 = Perhaps it is a jab to point out Darrin has inaccurate assumptions leading to a generalized national conclusion. However, it was your factual reporting of the inaccuracy of his assumptions that led to my statement. Not sure how you can correct an inaccuracy without specifying the author.

P3 = Well, that's my take, any polarization is in the eye of the beholder. Apparently you have another repose in mind termed "real depth or thought" that can not be discussed on HL. Makes me feel shallow though.

P4 = Yes I agree and there is not enough info to know whether Brinsley even bought the gun yet.

I would say more but I must stay on a higher plane since there's not enough depth or thought on HL to comprehend the root of the my larger societal problem without politically polarizing some knee-jerk to shoot me in the hip with vitriol. Shirley, I jest by taking the theoretical high road.

Dec '14

"Darrin does that a lot, in the case of this thread he is making a bunch of incorrect assumptions about the sister's actions and generalizing conclusions for the entire society based on these bad assumptions."

Here we go again, vengeance from MG, nit picking on my post....

MG, for the record, ALL I said is what the sister said while standing behind her door in a informal interview, nothing more nothing less. Everything else was followed by a ?mark so no assuming, just questions, but you were to busy trying to find reason to pick on me to even notice that, an now you made yourself look bad. LMAO

You can twist my post into whatever you "want" people to believe, but do remember, they are your words, your thoughts, not mine.....I spoke in a very general context, and yet again you are trying to turn it into something it was never meant to be

BACKFIRE!

+100 to you rebecka for seeing what I have to deal with from MG!!!! (and it's getting worse) he follows my posts like a puppy following their owner for treats!!!

This killer had a history of using stolen guns, weather he stole them, or bought stolen guns, idk, as I said, time will tell...

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-officer-in-missouri-shot-killed-man-who-pulled-gun/ar-BBhaJGD?ocid=HPCDHP

People have no accountability... What was this cop supposed to let the guy shoot him... Another 18 year old kid... How about the parents of these kids teach their kids to be good people not thugs. Why is he carrying a gun anyway...

Metsman Metsman
Dec '14

"Why is he carrying a gun anyway..."

There is no problem with anyone carrying a gun...

Pulling that gun and threatening a police officer or another citizen (except for self defense) is the problem. That kinda goes back to your thug comment, though.

From the article:

"Belmar said the 18-year-old had a considerable criminal record in the less than two years since he turned 17, with three assault charges, armed robbery, armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon."

And just like the killer in NYC, this man has been through the revolving door or justice and released back onto the streets. When will people learn... Getting a gun (sounds like he was a prohibited person) was no problem for him. If you can't be trusted with a gun as a free person, maybe you should still be in jail.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

+ 1 Rebecca & Darrin

ignatz ignatz
Dec '14

They're doing it again, this time at a most unfortunate event:

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-officers-turn-backs-on-de-blasio-at-liu-funeral-180107259.html

Combined with the NYPD work "slow down" (that has it's own set of ramifications),
I really believe that these odd "protests" are going to cause more problems down the road.

justintime justintime
Jan '15

Good for them, respect is a 2 way street. Agree there are going to be going to be many more problems coming down the road for NYC while De Blasio is Mayor.

Denis Denis
Jan '15

How disrespectful to turn the funeral of a police officer into a political statement.

Birdie Birdie
Jan '15

Seems everything is a political statement anymore.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

The Mayor is the one who brought this on. He won't or can't say he was wrong when he spoke along side Rev. Al. He never should have made this situation as personal as he did regarding his son. He is the Mayor for all New Yorkers, not just one segment. Leave the personal side out. He needs the police to help him run the City. Without them the City falls to the thugs. I also can't stand Bratton, much preferred Kelly.

justwondering justwondering
Jan '15

I find it absolutely nauseating that someone from the comfort of their home, who doesn't wear a badge or put there life on the line in the City, has the nerve to tell police officers who were actually at the funeral for a fellow officer they are being disrespectful.

http://nycpba.org/news/nd/nd-150104-liu2.html

Denis Denis
Jan '15

Exactly who is being disrespectful Denis? Anyone? No one? And do you care to even ask?

You're right though, this isn't the time to be discussing it. Today is a day to worship a hero who, for no other reason than wearing a uniform, was executed by a maniac.

Tomorrow will be better to talk about it. Hope you feel better in the morning.

justintime justintime
Jan '15

Is that question justintime? and I did accuse anyone of being disrespectful? My problem is with people like you and birdie who sit in judgement of those who were actually there at the funeral for a fellow officer, and put their life on the line.

p.s. I feel fine, but thanks for your concern.

Denis Denis
Jan '15

So pointing out an act that is certain to further incite anger and aggravate the situation is passing judgement? Interesting viewpoint. Are you sure that's what's bugging you?

ps- glad you're feeling better...

justintime justintime
Jan '15

The spin you put on it "act that is certain to further incite anger and aggravate" is absolutely passing judgement. What was the whole point of "They're doing it again"?? Just an observation with no connotation?? At least own your viewpoint. Like I said respect should be a 2 way street. I also find it amusing that you feel today is "not the day to be discussing", yet it was you who decided to post on this thread today which has been inactive for a week. Talk about hypocrisy!!

ps I never felt bad, but thanks again for your concern.

Denis Denis
Jan '15

What Denis - you never felt bad even though you were nauseated earlier? You little liar you ;-)

Relax Denis, really. I didn't turn my back on the mayor during a funeral service (an intentional act that some would probably call disrespectful). All I did was comment that the act *will* cause further problems, a view you would probably agree with if you understood that the issue isn't "blue uniforms" but rather individuals who are not following the law - regardless of what color clothes they wear.

justintime justintime
Jan '15

LOL I don't understand that the issue isn't related to the "blue uniforms" even though the officer who was laid to rest today was killed precisely because he was wearing one of those "blue uniforms". Once again making total sense.

Denis Denis
Jan '15

"Once again making total sense."

Thank you Denis! I always do, and am happy to read that you're seeing it too! ;-)

justintime justintime
Jan '15

"You little liar you ;-"

Amen.

Denis Denis
Jan '15

Anybody else notice what the NYC mayor's wife wore to the funeral on Sunday?

vous
Jan '15

"Anybody else notice what the NYC mayor's wife wore to the funeral on Sunday?"

Blue jeans... at least it's one step above jeggings.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

I guess not vous, what was she wearing? Looks like she was wearing a dark pea coat and dark slacks from the picture I saw.

justintime justintime
Jan '15

http://www.examiner.com/article/de-blasio-slams-cops-for-disrespect-despite-his-wife-wearing-jeans-to-funeral

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Jan '15

Those look like blue jeans to me, how disrespectful. Funny that Deblasio accuses the Police for that while his wife does the same thing. I assume Deblasio knew she was wearing them and was okay with it.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '15

Yes, blue jeans can be considered disrespectful. Not sure by whom, but I agree you're correct.

I wonder if she wore them backwards as part of her intentional disrespect? ;-)

justintime justintime
Jan '15

Yeah, unless it's a blizzard or some other extenuating circumstance, jeans are not respectful IMHO.

However, pants and pants-suits are OK ------ so my jury is out until we see the whole ensemble. It's looks pretty blue though......

Chump change offense versus cops making a political statement for press appeal at a funeral for their own though.

Jan '15

2 more NYC cops got shot... Big surprise the suspect is black. And they wonder why they get racially profiled. There's no racism in it, it's just that there's too many young black men who are thugs. If the black community doesn't like the profiling, then teach your young men to make something of themselves and go to college and get jobs instead of stealing, dealing, and shooting.

Metsman Metsman
Jan '15

"2 more NYC cops got shot... "

How's that NY SAFE Act working out?

* Bans possession of any "high-capacity magazines" (>10 rounds).
* Ammunition dealers are required to do background checks.
* Requires creation of a registry of assault weapons.
* Requires mental health professionals to report threats to a mental health director.
* Stolen guns are required to be reported within 24 hours.
* Broadens definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one.
* Requires background checks for all gun sales, including by private sellers.
* Guns must be "safely stored".
* All purchases of firearms must go through a licensed firearm dealer (FFL).

... and more.

Amazingly, the criminal that killed two cops, and this one that shot two more during an armed robbery (plus all of the other gang bangers attacking private citizens) don't seem to care about all those pesky rules, huh? Not to mention the pure impossibility of obtaining a NYC carry permit... must be some well connected thugs to have all of their paperwork in order.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

"New York Police Commissioner William Bratton described the suspects as two Hispanic men in their mid-to-late 20s."
Black enough for Metsman. They always see Black.

NY SAFE Act is perfect; crime is down, lowest murder by gun rate since 1993. De Blasio is doin it right.

Jan '15

Mark Mc. is correct.

But to be fair, one could also argue that if the New York law were national, the perpetrator *may* not have been able to obtain the weapon. State laws can only go so far.

Even so, there was a small chance he could have been caught with the weapon before he had a chance to use it, since having it is very much frowned on in NY. Didn't happen, unfortunately.

So, three men were involved in the latest robbery, shooting, and subsequent carjacking (sounds like they are nice boys just about to turn their life around, right?)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/05/us/new-york-officers-shot/index.html

The article says this about one suspect:

"Sometime after the shooting, a man checked himself into an area hospital with a gunshot wound to the back.

The 28-year-old man, who is on parole for robbery, is believed to be connected to the shooting and robbery, a law enforcement official said. He is not believed to be the shooter and has not been identified. "

To JD2's point, there were probably plenty of "small chances" to prevent this crime from happening. Not from a gun control standpoint (the laws didn't work in NY, so what logic would dictate that they would work anywhere else?), but from a *criminal* control standpoint. Recidivism is a bitch, eh?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

"NY SAFE Act is perfect; crime is down, lowest murder by gun rate since 1993. De Blasio is doin it right."

Violent crime as a whole is at historic lows across the country, even in those places (i.e. the vast majority of the country) that respect the individual's right to own any firearms they want (in many cases by a LARGER percentage drop than NY has seen). The NY SAFE Act and Warren Wilhelm can't take credit for that.

I also like how you always qualify it as murder "by gun" which completely ignores any shift in crime by other tactics.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

cops turning their backs on the mayor at the funeral is actually a sign of respect for their fallen brothers who were executed partly because of the current environment that has been created by the likes of deblasio, sharpton, holder and our president.

the families of the fallen have not had issue with those who have turned their backs on this 'out of his depth' mayor. they seem to be ok with it . . . .

from my perspective it's a sign of deference and respect to the dead police officers who were executed just because they were cops.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '15

"Black enough for Metsman. They always see Black."

It may not be racist if it's statistically true (see image).

Demographic data (2010 Census) from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

Crime data (2013) from:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/analysis_and_planning/2013_year_end_enforcement_report.pdf

Not sure why the census data adds up to ~109% for the ethnicities, but even a10% error doesn't hide some of the trends.

One thing we do know... you can generally trust the Asians in New York City.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

BrotherDog, you hit the nail on the head.

Denis Denis
Jan '15

"{It may not be racist if it's statistically true (see image)."

Really? Is it statistically true that two Hispanic men are really Black, statistically speaking that is, on average, most of the time?

"One thing we do know... you can generally trust the Asians in New York City."
Oh man........ Is that statistically true or just some Asian(s) you personally know :>)

Next you'll be telling us it's because they are smaller.

Jan '15

Mg, you try and try and try to portray what other people say as racism, yet they are your words, your thoughts.

If you would of as much looked at what mark mc posted you would of seen Asians are statistically less involved in the crimes that were accounted for, hence his comment.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

"Is it statistically true that two Hispanic men are really Black, statistically speaking that is, on average, most of the time?"

Not once the suspect has been identified, but if you were to guess (knowing nothing other than a crime was committed in NYC) the best statistical odds usually point to a black individual having committed it - despite them being the 3rd most populous ethnicity. The data from the NYC government simply backs that up, so your beef isn't with me.

"Is that statistically true or just some Asian(s) you personally know :>)"

Statistically true for the crimes detailed in that NYC report. They are significantly under represented (a good thing) as suspects/arrested individuals relative to their population percentage.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

For those that don't know the difference between a show of solidarity among thousands of officers at the funeral for one of their own, and what is disrespectful, watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2KhgngPYfY

Denis Denis
Jan '15

Link to the story

http://www.policeone.com/Crowd-Control/articles/8087361-Video-Ore-protesters-disrupt-Navy-vets-medal-ceremony

Denis Denis
Jan '15

"Mg, you try and try and try to portray what other people say as racism, yet they are your words, your thoughts."

Amazingly Darin, I never mentioned racism; feeling guilty?

I just quoted the author and then mimicked his use of the famous us/them characterization. If you feel tweaked by being "them," then you got the point.

Sure, I think we all understand the statistics as well as the statistics on poverty, unemployment, wage discrimination, unarmed killings, etc. etc. etc. as well as the statistics on the race for crime victims. Not to mention the statistics on hate crimes, few of which are perpetrated on white Christians in America.

But my point was that pointing the finger at Blacks when the perpetrators were Hispanic using the ole us/them comparison of pronouns seems shortsighted at best.

Nope Mark, it is the SAFE act; people just knew it was coming so stopped doing bad things in advance. Other parts of the country figured if they don't clean up their act, they would get SAFE too so just being proactive :>) I even hear the rest-of-world is feeling the effect as well.

Meanwhile --- protestor bad taste and low class is true whether cops protesting at funeral or cop protestors going at it for a 100-year old vet. One does not excuse the other. As far as the families of the officers supporting police protests because they have not spoken out against the protestors, give me a break. No news does not mean good news and why would they comment one way or the other ---- they are focused elsewhere as should be the cops. Perhaps right thing, but wrong place, wrong time for the cops and the Ferguson/vet protestors.

Jan '15

Okay mg, you never mentioned racism, but then admit to insinuating it? I have no guilt, because i was right....you keep trying to lead the conversation to racism ( you don't need to use the word racism, we all know what you were doing )

Mg says "Nope Mark, it is the SAFE act; people just knew it was coming so stopped doing bad things in advance. "

THAT has to be the most ridiculous thing i ever heard! Criminals knew the laws were coming so they stopped being bad....is that what you honestly believe mg!?!?!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

"Criminals knew the laws were coming so they stopped being bad....is that what you honestly believe mg!?"

Must be some pretty forward thinking criminals... they stopped the carnage 24 years ago (1990 had the worst homicide rate NYC had ever seen - with 9/11 being the exception).

NYC had just about the LOWEST rate of homicide ever, when Governor Cuomo signed the NY SAFE Act under dark of night using an emergency "message of necessity" (i.e. NO hearings, NO testimony, and waiving of the public comment period).

It was signed January 15, 2013 - a mere month after the Newtown shooting that many say was the "inspiration" for the legislation. A *month* to research, draft, review, debate (amongst themselves, not the public), and sign a 39 page document into law - even if they started at the same instant as the crime? No, they had this thing ready to go for a while, just waiting for their "opportunity".

And some people still believe it's about the "safety" and not the "control"? How cute...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

Mr. G it's not about one excusing the other, there is no equivalency. One is a show of solidarity among the thousand of officers who actually came to the funeral for one of their own to pay their respects, and the only disrespect shown was aimed squarely at De Blasio. As far as crime rate going down under De Blasio, he inherited a City with a crime rate that has been on the decline for decades. There is not a doubt in my mind you will see the trend turn the other way by the time he leaves, and probably as early as this year..

http://nypost.com/2015/01/06/cop-wounded-in-shootout-didnt-appreciate-de-blasios-hospital-visit/

Denis Denis
Jan '15

I didn't make the comparison Denis, you did.

OK, the SafeAct did not cure crime overnight. Good research. Perhaps it's Bush responsible for the drop in crime in NY? Or maybe NY has just become "a whiter shade of pale."

And no Darrin, I did not insinuate anything. It's all in your mind, it's all a bad dream... :>)

Jan '15

"the only disrespect shown was aimed squarely at De Blasio"

this is true and spinning it the other way to deflect attention away form the mayor doesn't work, deblasio has helped engender the current environment that has encouraged attacks on police officers, he has to own that, his own words that he spoke and deal with it honestly, so far he has not shown the strength of character to do so.

cops turning their backs on the mayor at the funeral of their fallen brothers is a show of deep loyalty and respect for their comrades who were executued just because they were cops. the mayor needs to show the cops some respect. don't expect to get respect if you are unwilling to give it.

"There is not a doubt in my mind you will see the trend turn the other way by the time he leaves"

it has already turned, crime is already up in NYC , and it's going to get much worse, it's going to be like it was in the 70's, just horrible. thanks mr mayor . . . .

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '15

"OK, the SafeAct did not cure crime overnight. "

It hasn't cured anything, period.

The number of shooting incidents in NYC have *risen* 6.0% in the year since the SAFE Act took effect.

2013: 1,096 shootings
2014: 1,162 shootings

The number of shooting victims in NYC have *risen* 7.2% in the year since the SAFE Act took effect.

2013: 1,287 victims
2014: 1,380 victims

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cscity.pdf

Stellar results!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

"And no Darrin, I did not insinuate anything. It's all in your mind, it's all a bad dream... :"

Lets look back at the last three posts:

"Black enough for Metsman. They always see Black."

"If you feel tweaked by being "them," then you got the point"

"Next you'll be telling us it's because they are smaller."

Yup, definitely no insinuation there........

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Gee, out of context that sure sounds insinuating :>)

But continuing this argument is more certainly very, very silly.

Again....... and I quote ---- "I just quoted the author and then mimicked his use of the famous us/them characterization. If you feel tweaked by being "them," then you got the point."

Apparently you didn't get the point.

But if you see a race card it was initially based on the author's comments about Blacks committing a crime perpetrated by two Hispanics, I guess statistically speaking. "Big surprise the suspect is black. And they wonder why they get racially profiled. There's no racism in it, it's just that there's too many young black men who are thugs."

And yeah, I get offended by wrongly describing the criminals as Black but more so by the us/them stance. Just as you are trying to be divisive with all this talk about race, I find us/them descriptions to be divisive at face value independent of race, religion, etc.. But the author told you "There's no racism in it." I never said there was and any insinuation is in your mind or out of context or both or something else.

But then again, who cares. It's a silly argument.

Jan '15

There is nothing silly about it MG, It is you trying to lead people to the us/them argument when that was never what they were going for.

"Gee, out of context that sure sounds insinuating :>)"

It does when you make a summary of the main reason of every one of your posts

Guess you got MY point!

Not to mention "They always see Black." and ""Next you'll be telling us it's because they are smaller."

What you racy "jokes" trying to be funny I suppose, they were your words, not others, so stop trying to blame others for your actions.

Why does us/them immediately mean white/black? Have you ever thought that it may mean good guys/bad guys? That's how I look at it. There is people who live their lives as thugs, and there is people who abide to the law, the guy in this case was obviously a thug.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board on that one

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Getting sillier.

Jan '15

Just wanted to share here. We lost one helluva NYPD hero this past weekend on Saturday 1/17 due to the after effects of working at ground zero in the months after 9/11. RIP Chief...

http://www.odmp.org/officer/22341-deputy-chief-steven-bonano

https://apbweb.com/unfathomable-loss/

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.