Christmas Tree allergy?

My son has hayfever in September, we know when to expect it and we treat it. But suddenly now he has allergy symptoms again, and yesterday after decorating the tree a bad headache. We have a Fraser fir. Has anyone ever heard of an allergy to a Christmas tree?

hktownie hktownie
Dec '14

All I know is my cousins had severe allergies to Christmas trees. They only had fake trees growing up.

Sherry Sherry
Dec '14

It's actually VERY common!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Dec '14

Not me, but a cousin with a son that is allergic to some types of tree sap. It can definitely happen.

I had no idea.. we've always had a Fraser fir for his entire life. I guess next year we make a change, and meanwhile out comes the Nasonex!

hktownie hktownie
Dec '14

Absolutely, you can have allergies to various things all year long - perhaps you could have him tested. Different foods can also cause allergies. Dr. Kanumury is an allergist located in Budd Lake - 354 Rt. 46, Budd Lake, just about 1/4 mile from the top of Hackettstown mountain on the left - 908-813-0230. Best of luck, I hope your son feels better soon.

luvlife
Dec '14

My sister has an allergy to Christmas trees. In fact she is allergic to any fragrant flower as well. My son seems to have the tree allergy as well. Last year for his first Christmas he had a constant runny nose and cough the whole time we had our tree. This year we decided to test him out before be got our tree and after spending 5 hours in a house with a live tree he got the runny nose and cough again. I put up an artificial tree this year for the first time since I moved out of my parents house. :(

jrsemom jrsemom
Dec '14

Thanks luvlife, we'll call Dr Kanumury and get an appt. The testing is a good idea.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '14

Am glad to help - I've been an allergy sufferer myself for over 20 years - ever since giving birth to my first child - my whole body makeup changed, very weird IMO. Unfortunately Christmas trees started to affect me as well as my youngest child and we had to make the switch to artificial trees. . . . : (
Just an advanced warning - testing does take awhile and sometimes more than one visit. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

luvlife
Dec '14

I have contact allergies to some types of evergreens... super itchy and inflamed skin reactions if I touch them. Came in from decorating an outdoor tree in front of our home this year and wanted cry my hands and forearms were so affected. I think most people above have respiratory allergies?... anyone else with skin reactions?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '14

The only thing I'm allergic to is real Christmas trees. I can't go anywhere near them and it doesn't matter which kind.

I have skin reactions too. Not just with the real trees but the fake ones too. It is when the prickly part touches my skin I break out in bumpy, itchy hives.

hopeful hopeful
Dec '14

My allergist told me it could be the mold spores on the tree that are causing me problems this year since I've never had problems with a live tree before.

Check out Dr. Barry Weinreb in Morristown. He was very detailed and easy to talk to.

Digital Digital
Dec '14

yep, skin bumps all over my arms after putting the lights on the tree on a douglas fir - and yes, respiratory allergies kick up for my family members if it is a live tree - zyrtec..

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '14

My youngest is allergic to a ton of trees and grass. We can not have real tree either. We go to some with a real tree and he immediately has issues.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Dec '14

some of the cut trees are sprayed with some type of hair-spray chemicals so they last longer, not sure what that stuff is,

luvlife wrote: "Unfortunately Christmas trees started to affect me as well as my youngest child"

same thing happened to me, my youngest has affected me, not sure if i am allergic to him, maybe we both should get tested . . . . . :)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

My poor husband is allergic to christmas tree sap and he sells them this time of year at Home Depot ! He has to glove up and make sure not to let it touch his skin . Dr gave him a cortisone cream to use....so very painful....poor fella.....he love summer cause he is the "grill and lawn mower guy" much better for him...

bowie bowie
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.