Police on RT57 near Shoprite

At first I thought it was a check point, but for the past 3 or 4 days there is a police officer at the entrance of Shoprite with cones in the road. Anyone know whats going on?? Just being noisy on my part.

Just Asking Just Asking
Dec '14

traffic control from shoprite. it gets really busy over the holidays.

hunter4lyfe
Dec '14

I saw that too on Sunday including the orange cones and thought it may also be related to the construction over at Fujiyama. But definitely traffic related.

They are directing traffic for all the shoppers out there Christmas shopping.

joyful joyful
Dec '14

Yup, just keeping the peace with the crazy drivers, with the mentality of "Im better then you, I have to be first". UGH! People need to chill!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

i'm glad there are police there. its a dangerous area with cars turning into and out of fujiyama and shop rite with the oncoming traffic in both directions. took me 5 minutes to pull out the other day.

Poppy Girl
Dec '14

Not there now. Traffic is building. Maybe this afternoon they will be there.

Dec '14

First of all, when I initially saw the cones the other day, I thought the purpose was to prevent left turns into that driveway and keep traffic moving to the left turn lane at the traffic light, but they're not near the driveway, and people are still making left turns into the Shoprite driveway.

Secondly, please explain what good it does if the police officer spends all his time sitting in the car?????

JerryG JerryG
Dec '14

Good question Jerry. I do recall over the years that an officer would be in the road directing traffic. Didnt see that over the weekend.

Dec '14

Also, the police officer is directing traffic in and out of the Shop-Rite and while stopping traffic that's headed westbound on Route 57, the traffic is blocking up at the intersection of 57 & Allen Road. So when the light turns green for the people on Allen road they cant go because cars are blocking the intersection. So they are helping people get out of Shop-Rite but in the meantime, causing more of a problem at the light. Stupid. Why cant they just block off the entrance/exit of that driveway to shoprite and have them go in and out the other 2 exits, one of which has a light to control the flow. Or they can take the back road behind the shop rite and exit out on Airport road?? DUMB!!!

BGood105 BGood105
Dec '14

I agree it has been a bit of a traffic nuisance in that area lately. It will be back to normal after the holiday rush I'm sure. Folks just need to cope with a minor inconvenience for a bit.

As far as drivers blocking the intersection at the light, that is all on the driver who ends up in the intersection when the light changes. Common sense and attentive driving dictates when one should move ahead into the intersection while sitting in an obvious traffic delay.

I believe the motor vehicle law says you are not to proceed into an intersection unless you have room to clear it. In other words, if there isn't an empty spot in the lane beyond the intersection for your car you are not suppose to proceed. Of course, no one pays attention to this . Also, if you leave that gap people waiting to make a right on red will do so and take that empty spot.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Dec '14

The weirdo drivers are out, be careful everone. I was tailgated so closely on Rt 57 this morning I couldn't see the headlights or front of hood on their car. "She" kept swaying over the double line and wanted to pass me but there was oncoming traffic. Finally in Beattystown, her light blue ford focus passed me over yellow double line. After that stupid move she had to sit in traffic by Walgreen's light. Idiot!

justwondering justwondering
Dec '14

Justwondering-you should have gotten her plate # and called the police.

I was coming UP Schooleys Mt road last week, right where the road curves between Camp Washington Rd and James Trail. There was an a**hole coming DOWN the mountain, passing cars and coming at me head-on. I ended up in the shoulder.
Watch out for the crazies out there!

Dec '14

Fatal accident being reported on rt 519 near Swayze mill rd.

OP on the phone
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.