Suggestions for a nice restaurant for an after funeral meal

Can anyone suggest a nice in-town restaurant to hold a post-funeral brunch/lunch for family members traveling here for the service? Thank you.

teecee teecee
Jan '15

Sorry for your loss, tecee. Mama's Italian restaurant. Mountain avenue, aka 182,or 517( around here every street has three names). A little expensive, however the best food around. Sorry I don't have a phone number to give you.

terry page terry page
Jan '15

The Pump House in Hackettstown on Rte 46 E. does a beautiful job. Call 908-852-4209 .
We have been to many post funeral events there.

joyful joyful
Jan '15

Tons landmark in nectong

J da J
Jan '15

Very sorry for your loss. I would imagine any restaurant in town would be willing to accommodate you if you called ahead, but Mamas and Pump House come to mind quickly. If you are having a service at a church, some churches can host a luncheon for the family afterwards - it can't hurt to inquire.

MO Htown MO Htown
Jan '15

Sorry for your loss. I have attended funeral lunches at both Pump House and Blackstones, both good and accommodating.

vicnity vicnity
Jan '15

My husband passed away Dec 2 and we went to Redwoods in Chester
They did a great job

SummerNico SummerNico
Jan '15

Pasta Grill on rt. 57, Mamas, Stella G's, Pump House, Bea McNallys, Marleys. Most restaurants do this and I have been to all for small repasses.

Sorry for your loss

Christine Christine
Jan '15

So many thanks for all the restaurant suggestions and condolences. Both are very much appreciated.

teecee teecee
Jan '15

I would suggest Mattars as well on 517.

Mattars has he best food out of any of these suggestions, but they're a bit outside of town.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jan '15

Mattar's. The others are not even close.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '15

Agreed

Gadfly Gadfly
Jan '15

Seriously NOT Blackstones its a bar ,,,,,,,Redwoods, Pumphouse , Mattars,,,,

Blackstone catered an after funeral meal or the repass i had went to. It was great. I would highly recommend it

Bar or not it was great. I like to think of myself as a food Connoisseur.

teecee - where is the funeral? we are all presuming it is in the area.

skippy skippy
Jan '15

"Repass" seems to be overtaking the original term "repast". I've heard other people using it too and I'd wondered what they were talking about at first.

In my Dad's hometown in the Mts. of Central PA there was always a local lady who did all the catering for the repast in the Church Hall which was in the basement of the Church's Elementary School. There was always delicious mounds of traditional Polish food, which helped to comfort people as they caught up on how they were all doing and both grieved and remembered the recently departed. Of course this was at a Polish-Catholic Church that was literally built by the community, including my Great-Grandfather and the community was relatively "tight".

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

For consistently good food I would pick Matar's. They will work with you

Doris Doris
Jan '15

Phil did they have pagach, perogies and halushki?

Phil D - Over at East Stroudsburg Methodist they have a team that does the same. They use food donated to the ministry and don't charge even though most people make a big donation. No guarantee of Polish food, but shoo fly pie or Black Forest cake isn't unheard of.

Repass? Really Phil. I've never heard that until Christine typed it above. Only have ever heard repast and I thought she just mistyped. Maybe the word is morphing. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

I have also heard of it being called the Mercy Meal.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.