State of Emergency 1/26

Gov. Christie just announced it, starting at 1pm

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

I wish my boss would take that seriously. We have to stay....

JB0103 JB0103
Jan '15

most don't JB0103

Jan '15

I'm not sure exactly what that means if you are not a state employee. If it's a "State of Emergency", it should apply to everyone !

Mariann Mariann
Jan '15

Is it starting at 1 pm, or is it early dismissal for state employees at 1pm and state of emergency

"Governor Christie has authorized a staggered dismissal at 1:00 PM today as well as the closing of state offices on Tuesday, January 27th for all non-essential employees."

From http://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/552015/approved/20150126a.html

JB, it is illegal for them to keep you during state of emergency unless you are classified as a essential employee, you can be ticketed for driving on the roads.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

all it is saying is that the govenore authorized a early dismissal for state employees, he cannot autorize early dismissal for individual buisnesses.......it is up to your bosses until it is a state of emergency

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Christie said "state of emergency, starting at 1pm". Watched him say it on Ch 2 news at 12 noon.

Darrin-googled it and says you cant be ticketed. Dismissal is up to each business.

Jan '15

news to me, I always though in state of emergency it was illegal to drive on the roads unless you were a essential employee or you had a personal emergency, but looking into this you are correct

http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/soe_faq.html

I guess I was confused with state of emergency with vehicular limitation, which is still a posibility

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

From NJ.com :
"An emergency declaration doesn't mean motorists will be ticketed for merely being on the roads, and "essential" personnel is not defined in the law.
"The Governor's declaration does not normally restrict citizen movements or activities. The State may limit access to affected areas due to concerns for public safety but will notify the public of these restrictions," according to the Office of Emergency Management's website. The most important goal is to keep roadways clear of unnecessary traffic so emergency vehicles, such as ambulances and fire trucks, are free to travel.
The governor's declaration does not have an impact on private business owners' decisions to open or close, or to pay their employees during a closure.
"Businesses must address hours of operation and compensation on an individual basis," according to the state website. "Once a federal disaster is declared, employees unable to work may be eligible for unemployment assistance."

At my work we don't have paid snow days, you have to come to work if office is open, and if office is closed you can take paid personal time withing allowed amount or not be paid.

Everyone on here should be home or on their way. I just called out of my night job. Be safe!

Jan '15

unfortunately it doesn't mean you have to be off the roads. i am a manager of a wireless phone store for a wireless carrier. we rarely shut down it needs to be worst of the worst. also, it is never done on a proactive basis...only a reactive basis.

JFGr8
Jan '15

Everyone should be home? It is hardly snowing in this part of Warren County. Everyone should still be at work! Except non-essential government employees, of course.

it sure is snowing in Allamuchy

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

Maja-snowing like crazy in Mansfield. Snowing in other areas where people work and have to travel from to get home. Get a head start and get home now BEFORE it gets really bad.

Can see Rt57 from window and its getting covered fast.

Jan '15

"Except non-essential government employees, of course. "

So, who's left? ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jan '15

It's not only snowing down in "the Holler", it's coming down hard enough to be causing visibility issues. I sure hope the Sanico guy is just finishing because he should go home by now. There are definitely conditions that warrant it, even if it's not every where.

Yuppers!

Jan '15

botheredbyu should get her ass back to work, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Wife just left for Hackettstown she is a health care giver at a nursing home she is allowed to be on the road

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jan '15

Lol ianimal. One, I work for myself at my day job, so I make my own hours. And two, my night job isnt worth risking anything to get to. : ) Years ago, (25) went to work, it started to snow, so they let us leave early. Thank goodness I carpooled with another girl, because it took us 12 hrs to get home. Morris cty to Essex cty. Will never let that happen again. Back then, no cell phones, so family was worried sick.

Hope you and maja are working real hard! Lol

Jan '15

Maja-hope you are home now, safe and sound!! Although it is before "quitting" time. :)

Jan '15

Listen to WRNJ

NJ has been declared "a state of emergency" by our governor.

ONLY emergency vehicles are allowed on the roads.

Like everything else: people, employers, and rules are never followed. That is why our country is in a mess.

Float your own boats, folks!!!!

isabella isabella
Jan '15

They did say there is a vehicle restriction?

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

No, it said nothing like that. New York has instituted an emergency personnel only restriction on all roads in 13 counties beginning at 11pm tonight with violations resulting in a misdemeanor charge with a maximum $300 fine, but NJ has no such restrictions in place anywhere that I have heard.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

Isabella, a state of emergency in New Jersey does not automatically equate to a restriction on vehicular travel. Two different things. While NJ is urging people to stay off the roads, the declaration by Christie at 1pm did NOT contain a restriction on travel.

New Jersey has a history of waiting until the roads are littered with stuck vehicles before any restrictions are issued; I expect they'll make the same mistake this time.

JerryG JerryG
Jan '15

Please read Lena's post above. It is a misconception that state of emergency means no one is allowed on the roads. Her post is a quote from the state, clearly stating that it simply means the emergency management dept. can do certain things and the governor can call on the national guard and close state offices. Citizens can work/ move around as they choose. Christie did suggest residents not drive if not necessary simply as a safety suggestion.

I am home now. Roads were not bad (meaning I've driven in much worse, not that they are perfect). Worse part is visibility in the dark on the back roads. A 3 inches on the driveway. Snow plows are lined up waiting to hit the State roads.

The governor is in NJ, not Disney, so we should all feel super safe during this blizzard. Other states have set times for roads to close to all, or so I heard on he radio driving home.

Be well everyone!

The state police put a travel ban as of 11pm. It can be viewed on the oem website. Be safe

Chuck21
Jan '15

There is a travel ban in NJ and in Hackettstown starting at 11pm tonight until further notice! Nixel sent it out.

Christine Christine
Jan '15

This is who is allowed to travel during the ban:

https://readynj.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/january-26-2015-travel-restrictions.pdf

Christine Christine
Jan '15

If there is a state emergency does the company u work for have to pay u?

nik, from what I have read(see Lena's post above, we read the same thing) they do not. If a federal state of emergency is declared you may be able to collect unemployment.

I didn't know if with the Road Ban things changed from a regular state of emergency. Thanks

Christine section 39:4-215 which is what your post link refers to:

https://readynj.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/january-26-2015-travel-restrictions.pdf

About who can travel during a state of emergency is only valid for areas/roads you are not allowed to travel which are clearly posted with signs during an emergency.

As far as everyone else they are FREE to travel on roadways not posted.

An example would be the electronic signs on RT 80 or the NJ Turnpike, which would say "Road Closed due to Weather".

HRMC Patient HRMC Patient
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.