Patriots, spy gate, deflate gate, what's next?

How would you handle this ?

Rules are rules, They are made to be broken.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '15

Make sure the balls are properly inflated in the Super Bowl and play the game right.

That's it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Since nobody will take responsibility for it, the organization as a whole has to be punished. Fines and loss of draft picks would be in order. That is, if it's proven that the footballs were tampered with. Too bad Belicheat and Tom Turkey won't get suspended.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Enough with the Patriots hate. Read the link & be enlightened.
http://patskrieg.com/

buffy buffy
Jan '15

If somebody rats them out, you may see a suspension ... next season.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

What gets me is that the NFL is forcing someone to talk, who does not want to talk. ... that's Lynch, the Seahawks' beast running back.

I had the Phillies' beat when Steve Carlton wasn't talking ... and I mean he would say nothing to anybody ... when I said, "I've never written anything negative about you" his reply was "a policy is a policy."

I was so proud of myself that I got a response ... hey, if a guy doesn't want to talk, he doesn't want to talk ... move on, for every silent Carlton there always was a Tim McCarver or Tug McGraw who never shut up.

And the NFL is fining Lynch for wearing a non-NFL sponsored cap ... they are downright anal about all their licensing, etc. etc.

Go back and read about how the NFL went to court to stop Baltimore from naming a Canadian Football League team the Baltimore CFL Colts ... don't get me started on the NFL.... the fans of Baltimore named that franchise that now plays in Indianapolis in a fan poll back in 1947 .... yeesh.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

In 1995 a classic rock radio station in Baltimore named itself Colt 104 and publicly dared the NFL to go to court and stop them from using the name.

They got everybody in Baltimore listening ... to "songs from when the Colts played in Baltimore."

They beat Tagliaboo-boo at his own marketing game.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Fine the coach 500k, the team 2mill. Also take all there draft picks away and have a lottery for the rest of the division teams for them...

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Jan '15

Re: Patriots, spy gate, deflate gate, what's next?

wasn't boston started by the puritans?

i say put bellycheck and brady in stocks in the town square for a couple of days, let the kids come by and make fun of them

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '15

Calico696 - "Since nobody will take responsibility for it, the organization as a whole has to be punished"

The issue here is not whether New England broke a few rules, or took a few liberties. They did.

But you can't hold a whole NFL team responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole NFL system? And if the whole NFL system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our recreational institutions in general? I put it to you, Calico696 - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want with the New England Patriots, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

TU - What the heck are you talking about? When did I badmouth the US of A? I think you need a beer STAT!

Most likely, somebody will eventually go down for this. Probably a ball boy that is paid out the wahzoo for copping to deflating the balls.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

I would suspend Brady and Coach for the SB. Also would suspend Lynch for being an a-hole...

This Superbowl will be all controversy no matetr what happens

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jan '15

Calico, obviously you aren't an Animal House superfan. If you were, you would have recognized TU's reference immediately (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

well since the Equipment manager is Bill's son no one will throw anyone under the bus. HC isn't going to rat out his son or his star QB, Star QB isn't going to rat out his head coach or his Head coach's son, and Head coach's son is not going to rat out his dad or the star QB.

In the end the TEAM will pay a small fne and this will all go away.

darwin darwin
Jan '15

Oh LOL, I've never seen that movie. Sorry TU.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Apologies Calico696. I couldn't resist the reference to one of my favorite movies....

Lynch has a mental illness. Its clear as day he has social anxiety. He is not an A-Hole.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jan '15

No problem TU. I thought you were suffering a mental break due to alcohol withdrawal or something. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

They broke the rules,the head coach is the one throat to choke,good and bad,he runs everything,so he is the one to be fined, draft picks, whatever,he represents the team! This is the second time,how many kids think its ok to cheat now ! The doubt is there,you can not blame the ball boy, the rain, the cold, the snow,the Colts played in the same conditions! The Patriots tainted the Superbowl,really bad for everyone!

Goodell & Kraft are good buddies so don't expect much...

Marshawn is no dummy, he's created a marketable media persona for himself ... the American Way ... make all the $$$$ you can, when you can, any way you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVki5waMXck

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

Have the league supply the balls with no one but league officials seeing them until kickoff. There is no reason why each qb and kicker should have there own balls with pressure tailored to there own desires. These guys get paid a lot of bucks - let them adjust to the balls they get.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Jan '15

calico - you *need* to see this movie !

watch this clip for context -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROxvT8KKdFw

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '15

The Seahawks just need to kick their ass, then none of this matters..... but they should still get fined and lose drafts picks.... AFTER they get their ass kicked! That's as close to "justice" as we're going to get.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '15

What do you tell a kid,when they ask is cheating ok! When the kid asks why do you like the Patriots if they cheat?The Patriots were a team to look up to,now they are a team to look down at,I guess as a parent, you can explain why not to cheer for the Patriots,and use it as a learning tool! I guess being a professional doesn't mean what it use to!

It has been well established that the minor deflation had no effect on the play or outcome of the game.

The Patriots scored more points in the second half with a different set of balls.

The Colts were horrible (as they were much of the season).

This is a non issue and since it can't be proven, it should be dropped. I would be surprised if there is a minor fine.

reynolds
Jan '15

They deliberately cheated in an attempt to gain an unfair competitive advantage. The fact that they didn't NEED to cheat is immaterial. This is just the latest incident by an organization for whom this type of behavior is well documented. Their balls were found to be deflated; the Colts weren't. And then Belichick attempts to pass off a scientific explanation. To continue his My Cousin Vinny reference, are the laws of physics different on the Patriots side of the field?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

ianimal,exactly, they broke the rules with spygate,and now the deflated balls,there is no gray area!

The Onion weighs in...

NEW YORK—Calling the recent scandal nothing more than a witch hunt, famed athletes Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, and Alex Rodriguez issued a joint statement Tuesday vehemently defending the New England Patriots against accusations that the team cheated by using deflated footballs in last week’s AFC Championship Game. “First and foremost, it is irresponsible for anyone to lobby accusations such as these without indisputable proof,” read the statement, which echoed the official stances of Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Marion Jones, Ryan Braun, Luis Suarez, Ben Johnson, Tim Donaghy, and the entire roster of the 1972 U.S.S.R. Olympic basketball team, all of whom have also staunchly come out in support of the Patriots this week. “It could have been the cold weather, or it easily could have been the result of breaking the balls in during warmups. Plus, what advantage could it have possibly provided? They were heavy favorites to win in the first place. Regardless, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady gave us their word that they had no knowledge of any tampering and, quite frankly, that should be enough.” The statement concluded that, should the Patriots be found guilty, one black mark would certainly not invalidate all of their past achievements.

yankeefan yankeefan
Jan '15

Add Raffy Palmeiro to the above list.

Best part of Super Bowl week for me was seeing Mike Golic take the Harbaugh Breakfast Challenge ... and eat Fruit Loops with Gatorade instead of milk ...

on camera.

They should make Brady and Belichick do that, an hour before the game, or else they won't be allowed on the field LOL

Go Legion of Boom.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

I Am The Locker Room Guy----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feuNeJewzDo&x-yt-ts=1422579428&feature=player_embedded&x-yt-cl=85114404

yankeefan yankeefan
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.