Hackettstown High: 2015 Football year

So how's the season looking heard they beat Newton

Billythekid Billythekid
Sep '15

Wow what took so long for this topic to pop up? Guess all the opinionated Parents Graduated? Well they looked awesome Thursday night vs. Newton, I think it was 38 to 0 but not sure if they are that bad or we are that good. Three long td runs from scrimmage, 1 long bomb covering about 70 yards, another short td run and a field goal.
Team is really good and fast at skill positions , think they'll go as far as the lines take them. First test Saturday 9/12/15 at home vs. Whippany Park, come out and support the team should be a little more exciting than previous couple years?

obewankonobe obewankonobe
Sep '15

That was a scrimmage. Season opener is next Saturday, September 12th at 7:00 pm at home. Come out and cheer them on!

Martin Martin
Sep '15

They'll be playing a 3-5 defense, hoping to take advantage of having a bevy of quick athletes, to play a flexible defense. They have a lot of experienced players, a reason for optimism.

Know who looked good in a scrimmage yesterday? Warren Hills shutout North Hunterdon -- impressive. When Warren Hills ran to the left, they made a lot of big plays, says something about their line.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

The Tigers open on S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y ... NIGHT.

(Remember the Bay City Rollers?)

Unusual for high school teams to play a Saturday night game ... that's when football fans watch this week's college "game of the century" on national TV. Well, there will be enough games with national playoff implications to watch as September rolls into October.

Special festive doings in Tigertown this week.

http://www.insidewarren.com/?p=167

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Right now 100% chance of twin t-storms at 7pm.

60% chance of thunderstorm at 7pm, hopefully will end sooner or start later.
100% chance of tiger-storm at 7pm with massive thunder and lightning.

GO TIGERS

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '15

Really surprised there isn't anything on here yet about last night's impressive victory.

It was the most one-sided Tigers' win in football I can remember since the day we got that Halloween snowstorm in 2011 and Brian Wickkiser scored five long touchdowns running in that white stuff while would-be tacklers were slipping and falling all over the place.

At Kittatinny, they remember that game as their "Snowcoming."

Last night, it was rainstorms in Biblical proportions. WATER we gonna do? (-;

The fact that the Tigers have been more of a running team than a passing team, in recent years, probably helps them in bad weather.

Whatever, a great win and encouraging start to the season nonetheless.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Andy,

When was the last time the Hackettstown Football Team has been 3-0 to start the season!

This is exciting stuff good for them and the program well deserved!

Do you still cover the games at all?

tigerfan1
Sep '15

The last time H-town started 3-0 was probably in the previous century/millennium.

Results look great so far. I wanted to see the Morris Catholic game ... got assigned Randolph at Mendham... have to pay bills and go wherever there is a paycheck... you probably don't want me going to any games, because the Tigers have lost the last four or five times I've seen them... fortunately, that "jinx" does not apply to soccer, basketball or baseball.

Next time I make it to a home game, you won't see me in the press box. No hand rails to help me climb the steps ... I'm a senior citizen now and I have some balance issues ... although I walk very confidently on flat surfaces.

I've got October 10 and 30 circled on my calendar ... the Dover and Madison games.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Seems like players are dropping like flies. Hard to maintain success when guys keep getting hurt.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '15

This is great for the program. It's been a long time coming for them. This Friday, apparently is a big time game for the program. Lenape Valley is 3-0 and they face the Tigers who are also 3-0. Lenape has beaten some pretty tough teams, but the tigers are poised for victory this year! These are the games you use to cover in the past.

The past two years the games were decided by a point, the crowd will be electric at Chot Morrison Field.

I heard Hackettstown starting quarterback is out, so that could change the game up a little bit.

GO Tigers!!! Keep it up!

tigerfan1
Sep '15

At one time I was able to choose my games, and I was doing all the Tigers' games on the radio.

Things change, but I'll make sure I get out there and see this team. Coach Robinson sounded pretty excited when I did a preview, and you can't fake that kind of enthusiasm.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

http://www.statelinerfootball.com/Past_Seasons.html

Unfortunately, nobody has put together a website like the one linked above, for the history of Hackettstown football.

What I can tell you, from the information I have at hand, is that the Tigers' last undefeated regular season was in 1982 -- it was the 14th such football season in school history. Since then, they have had once-beaten seasons in 1992 and 93 and twice-beaten seasons in 1986 and 96. There may have been a 3-0 start among those teams.

I was part of the Tiger football radio broadcasts on WRNJ from 2002 to 2012. If there was a 3-0 start in there, I'd remember it, because we would have been really excited about it.

As a local news guy covering the area I remember 1999 and 2000 as being bad years wins wise (let's just say wins were hard to come by) but 2001 saw them win a division championship --- there was an early season game with Belvidere they lost on the field, but later won by forfeit (use of academically ineligible player who had absolutely no impact on the score). At the time I was disappointed in H-town for even wanting to get a win that way. With the forfeit, there may have been a 3-0 start there, technically.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Andy, no need to mince words about the 1999 team. As captain of that team, I can tell you that we were AWFUL. The 1996 team was the best while I was there, and at 7-2 missed states due to the power point structure at that time.

1997 - 5 wins
1998 - 3 wins
1999 - 1 win (North Warren, week 2)

Jerry Gundry was the head coach in 1999. He took over for Romanczyk after he retired.

Rooting for the Tigers this year. They look good.

I remember that 1999 win against North Warren. Everything was pretty wet after Hurricane Floyd had passed by.

The PA announcer kept saying North Hunterdon, instead of North Warren.

He was a great PA guy for many years (as is Chuck Harvey) but that night, he kept saying North Hunterdon by mistake ... I had my share of bloopers on the radio, too.

I used to sing Turn Out The Lights The Party's Over (apologies to Dandy Don) as night games came to a close ... did it for years ... and then one night I forgot the words.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Andy, did you call P'burg's 24-0 win over Lerch Prep in 1905? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

All the games I've called on radio involved Hackettstown, Warren Hills, or West Morris. Mostly Hackettstown ... it all depends on the wishes of sponsors.

The only Pburg game I called was in 2002, when they beat West Morris in the state playoffs.

As I'm sure you know, Dick Hammer did a fabulous job doing Pburg games on WEST ... that station also carried basketball, wrestling, and baseball with live play-by-play and Dick had daily sports reports and trivia in the mornings.

I put on weight listening to the trivia ... the prize for getting the right answer was a box of a dozen Dunkin Donuts!

I wanted to do what Dick Hammer did, at WRNJ, but never got the opportunity. At least, not for a living wage, anyway. I would have sold ads for them on the side. Norman was incredulous when I suggested doing wrestling. Wrestling ON THE RADIO? ... uh, yeah. I can do it. They'd make a LOT of money around here.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

It could be tough running triple option in the rain! Pretty hard to pitch a wet ball,hope there practicing with a wet ball this week ! Best of Luck Tigers!

Lenape Valley with its Wing-T (which they have been running forever) is less prone to turnovers in bad weather.

However, Hackettstown has a strong group of seniors, who have been through everything.

It may become a field position game, and Hackettstown would have a chance --- it may all come down to one big play. Special teams may make the difference in this one --- the good old kicking game.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Does any one know whats going on for Nov 6th game with them wanting former football and cheerleaders?

The Tigers started the 2003 season 4 - 0 with wins over Belvidere, North Warren, Montgomery and Somerville but finished with a disappointing 5 - 5 Record....The 2015 Tigers are a good team with some unfortunate injuries to key players. The Tigers do have some good depth at some positions and will be playing hard the remainder of the season. GO TIGERS!!!!

TIGER PRIDE FOREVER !!!

maxsky maxsky
Sep '15

besides the qb who else is injured?

Big sports fan Big sports fan
Sep '15

toni,

They are honoring past players and cheerleaders from the 40's to now in celebration of playing Warren Hills for 90 years. There are things being planned. If you go on Facebook and type in Hackettstown Warren Hills you can see past pictures and get updated news on the date.

Magpie Magpie
Sep '15

maxsky, thanks for that info ...beating Somerville in those days was a big win ... your post brought me back a memory.

Belvidere had lost just about all their good players to graduation, and it is hard to replace a great class at a small school.

I remember picking Hackettstown to beat them in my sports column ... the Tigers were showing a lot of signs that they'd be real good in 2003.

A Belvidere mom complained to me about my pick, said, "but they are working really hard, you're underestimating our boys."

My response was, "what do you think Hackettstown is doing? Lounging around and playing video games?"

Aaaaa... sports parents.... the world's least objective people.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Great game but lost heartbreaker to Lenape Valley 28-20 last night in a rainstorm, only about 100 fans were there

Big sports fan Big sports fan
Oct '15

Too many fumbles and no containment on the outside run spelled doom for the Tigers.
Keep your heads up Boys and regroup for Dover.

KMC77
Oct '15

I covered last night's Hackettstown/Lenape Valley game on photo assignment for NJ Advance Media/The Star-Ledger. Game recap & photos on the following link:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/5874228216661881164/lenape-valley-28-at-hackettstown-20-football/

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Oct '15

Nick, great photos! There is a shot on nj.com former hackettstown coach/player in your pictures Andrew Carbone. We had this young man last year and let him go. What a shame he was a fantastic role model for my sons through tsa and when he played. Great to see him coaching on the sidelines doing what he loves. Not seeing him in orange and black made me and a few parents so disappointed. He was a good role model for the town. Great game last night Tigers will bounce back! Kudos to the coaching staff in lenape and hackettstown job well done!

Tigefan1
Oct '15

Nick, great photos! There is a shot on nj.com former hackettstown coach, Andrew Carbone. We had this young man last year and let him go. What a shame he was a fantastic role model for my sons thought tsa and when he played. Great to see him coach on the sidelines doing what he loves. Great game last night Tigers will bounce back! Kudos to the coaching staff in lenape and hackettstown job well done!

Tigefan1
Oct '15

Thanks Tigefan1 - much appreciated regarding the photos!

I had a nice conversation with Coach Carbone before the game ~ he's a former HMS student of mine & was a very exciting to watch 3-sport athlete at HHS.

It was a challenging game last night due to the weather for both teams but an exciting back-and-forth nonetheless. Gotta love high school football!

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Oct '15

I spoke with Mr Carbone, he looked emotional and I don't blame the young man. He was a dedicated tiger he said it was hard for him to be there against hackettstown. Myself and few parents spoke with him and he said if it was his choice he would be coaching at Hackettstown. I am just curious why he's not. He taught at Hackettstown last year, and now apparently another parent told me he's in allamuchy. How do we let someone like that go?! It was tough. Mr Carbone is a stand up guy and was a role model for my kids and I'm sure others. Best of luck to him. Hackettstown is going to make a big run this year, those boys need to hold there heads up!

Tigefan1
Oct '15

What a shame, why did they let him leave?The good ones always get a way !

People get shuffled around in today's world. Those who are in power today, seem to consider people disposable and easily replaceable.

It was different 50 years ago.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Andy, perfectly stated. I think we live in a world where loyalty is lost. We don't treat our own with the respect they deserve. I don't know any of the reasons why he was coaching there, but I'm sure they were good ones. Lobo, it is such a shame unfortunately like Andy said people make decisions that are in power. Sometimes those people are in a position of power and get tunnel vision. I don't know Mr. Carbone personally but I know what a positive impact he's had on my children! We let a good one get away, it's to bad!

Tigefan1
Oct '15

"The Bone" was a good player at Hackettstown and would certainly be an inspiration for anybody who has been told, "you're too small to play football."

His coaches at Hackettstown certainly admired him, I saw that first hand.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Anybody know the starting time for tomorrow's game with Dover?

Could not find it on Hackettstown.org

And people ask me why I don't go to more Hackettstown games?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

2:00 p.m. Homecoming also

obewankonobe obewankonobe
Oct '15

Thanks.

I predict the Tigers will win LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Tigers win

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '15

which tigers won? my son told me dover by 4 points but wasn't sure.

brown bear2 brown bear2
Oct '15

Dover Tigers won yesterday's game.

Frustrating loss. Tigers need to mix it up, running the same play up the middle doesn't work. This game proved it.

Frustrated Fan Frustrated Fan
Oct '15

Stop the dive , stop the triple option,key on QB,take away the pitch,it happened to Navy yesterday! Wake up ! Good athletes, wrong offense!

The senior loyalty has to go if the want to be successful

Talking to the wall Talking to the wall
Oct '15

Dover needed to successfully run a fake punt and a flea-flicker to win that game.

Hackettstown held its own against a big and good Dover line.

The H-town running backs are hard to bring down, they look like a good football team -- somewhat limited but very respectable.

Until they get a dynamic passer (they don't exactly grow on trees) the triple option seems to be a good offense for this group of players, as does the 3-5 flexible defense, which contained Dover's speed most of the time.

I'm not going to second-guess this coach, he may just lead this group to a winning season. They may have lost, but I saw positives.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Only cupcake left on the board is Jefferson!

waldo waldo
Oct '15

Madison on Oct. 30 -- trick or treat.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

the coach needs to take a good look at himself

Talking to the wall Talking to the wall
Oct '15

I think it would be great if TSA football would be on the same page as the High School,this way the kids would know what to expect in High School. This is the only way to build a good program.Recently watched a junior league game,and these kids really need the basics , blocking , tackling,and the offense is totally different from the High School.Why not try it,it works for other towns? The High School coach really needs support to be a winner!

Coaches can't win.

Over in West Morris, they play the Wing-T at all levels and the varsity plays it as well as anybody.

But, any time they lose a game, you hear people saying, "why don't they open it up more?"

So easy to just blame everything on the coach.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

The fish stinks from the head down !

Hackettstown lost last night to division leader Hanover Park, were losing 36-7 at halftime but fell 43-21 was the final score

big sports fan big sports fan
Oct '15

Was at the game,let"s get a little creative ! If I know where your running,I can stop you,ever hear of play action! Hanover played 9 men in the box!

Having not seen HHS play, I can't give an eye test review. Maybe the reason he is running the ball and not opening up is because the QB is not a good passer, or receivers can't/don't get open or OL does not pass block good. A coach knows and sees these things at practice, which fans do not see.

As for TSA football being on the same page as the High School,this way the kids would know what to expect in High School. Explain the recent and past success of split district schools such as Morris Knolls (Morris Hills), Parsippany Hills(Parsippany), and last night's opponent Hanover Park(Whippany Park), all whose youth programs have kids that play together from 1st grade through 8th then get split up in HS? Or towns that don't have youth football, but have a successful HS team? It's kind of like when a Freshman team goes unbeaten and people think that when those kids get to Varsity its going to be a banner year. Doesn't always work that way.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '15

Good point !

Phillipsburg draws kids from several youth programs, and if you've been paying attention, you know what P'burg has been doing.

Going to the state playoffs at Rutgers has been an annual event.

Navy runs the triple-option and they are great at it ... they are 4-1 so far this year and have been winning and going to bowl games.

When you do it right, teams hate defending it.

I played against Franco Harris in a high school game in South Jersey ... we knew he was going to run, and run, and run again, and again, and again, and again.

Did we stop him?

No.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

They have the second string QB playing and he can't throw. Now you know why they run the ball.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '15

In over 50 years of involvement in high school football, I have not seen many quarterbacks who could throw the ball really well.

Even my mother, who hardly ever commented on the games, asked me one day, why doesn't your team throw the ball?

Well, six years later, a sophomore who had a real talent for it, DID start throwing the ball --- same coaches, same program --- and Lakewood went 7-2. They benched the senior, who just happened to be the mayor's son, to put a kid in who actually could throw --- now THAT is courageous coaching!!

I remember asking the coaches, now as a "mature" adult of 24, "what's with all this throwing the ball all of a sudden?" They had won five in a row for the first time in nine years.

Coach smiled and said, "when the second coming of Unitas shows up, you throw the ball."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Second string QB threw 19 times on Friday and completed 8 passes seems reasonable numbers for a backup QB only playing his third game

Oct '15

Unfortunately just found out that one of their two way starters quit the team after the game Friday, this will really hurt the team over the final 3 games of the season

Oct '15

There is nothing less conclusive than passing numbers for the losing team in a game that was 36-7 at the half.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

There are several boys on the sidelines that have been overlooked, despite their obvious talent/strengths. If the current setup is not working, time and time again, open up your outlook to see full circle, beyond what is 'told' as talented?

Tiger Fan Family
Oct '15

Will be interesting to see who quit. Personally, I'm not a fan of of those who quit
when the going gets tough. If it was for personal family reasons I can understand.

Magpie Magpie
Oct '15

This is not Rec league, best players play,no favorites, high school ball, is not daddy ball,you play where your told to play. It is a growing experience,for players and parents.
If there is talent on the sidelines, the coach will find it !

No one quit actually, the player is getting surgery and has been trying to play with an injury...

Doctor Doctor
Oct '15

If it's who I think it is, he's getting surgery so that he's ready for baseball season.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '15

what do you think the point of football is at hhs? do you think the coach should be "graded" on won/loss record? is it about the number of kids who learned enough skills to play in college? is it about learning discipline and hard work and practicing? is it about building friendships and camaraderie?

it can't be about it all.

so what do you think the primary focus should be?

personally, I think it should be about learning how to manage your time to practice hard and still be able to do schoolwork.

in that regard, is the coach successful?

ken e
Oct '15

I also agree with ken e. The coach has a very high priority on school work,being on time as well as showing up to practice. I applaud all he has done in these areas as well.

Htown onlooker Htown onlooker
Oct '15

They hired an inexperienced young coach and that is exactly what they got. He does bring energy and enthusiasm with him ,but still has a long way to go and alot to learn. He did not benefit from having the last head coach as a mentor other than how to get unsportsmanlike penalties while on the sidelines. You get what you pay for in life.

waldo waldo
Oct '15

When Brian Wickkiser went into his junior year at Hackettstown, I had not heard of him yet -- a couple of games into the season, the whole conference knew about him.

High school coaches don't miss talent in football --- there are so few high school kids who really have it.

Tony Villante used to appreciate that I did not report a lot of things he'd say in the heat of the moment -- but since a few years have passed, I'll share the day when he sat in his office, a picture of frustration, and said, "if only I had someone who can throw the ball."

Kids who can complete passes with the pass rush coming, against smart and quick corners and safeties, who often set you up for an interception by disguising their coverages, are really rare in high school. They don't grow on trees.

Hackettstown just gave up 36 points in a half, and we're talking about offense.

Anybody want to stick his nose in there and play some DEFENSE? Anybody?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Coach V was supposed to be a defensive specialist and look at the points his teams gave up! The heat of the moment is not an excuse for anyone, unless you are in the NFL. Every coach experiences the heat of the moment.

waldo waldo
Oct '15

> Anybody want to stick his nose in there and play some DEFENSE? Anybody?

Oh so true! Now that my daughter is a freshman (and in the band), I've been watching high school football on Friday nights (no, not HHS) and my biggest beef is with the defense. The fundamentals are awful. The kids just hit each other. There's no tackling technique. No wrapping up. No concept of assignments. These are all things Minnie taught us when I was 12!

Then again, I don't see the pros wrapping up and tackling either. :-)

All these coaches want someone who can throw, a passing QB, coaches, coach,teach them,that is why your coaching,to teach skills,to put a team together! Quit blaming the players,they do what they are taught,if there not trained,look inside yourself.Football players like any other sport,do not come with experience,you as a coach give it to them. What happens during football camp? Running backs over here, QB over there, linemen over here,who kicks,receivers over there? Really that is not how it is done,what happen to try outs?Which means trying out for position,these kids are labelled before the season starts.Wake up,you need a whole new approach,get into the here and now,not 3yds and a cloud of dust!

It's a game of blocking and tackling. If nobody does that, then even Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady can't win.

All these posts remind me I made a wise decision not to get into coaching. Let the daddies coach, then everything will be OK.

Villante was a marvelous defensive coordinator at Belvidere in 1999, when they had some real players on that team. They started out with a 30-0 shutout of Hackettstown and ended with a 6-0 shutout of New Providence in the sectional championship game. They went 11-1 and knocked off unbeaten Somerville and Scotch Plains teams .

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Andy - your insight and level headed commentary is much appreciated. Thank you.

brown bear2 brown bear2
Oct '15

Just trying to help.

I've known some college scouts over the years, and helped the head basketball coach at North Carolina-Charlotte scout NJ for a few years.

The only negative thing I've ever heard one of them say about any high school coach once was, "that team does not have a system."

They hear "local experts" tell them all the time that "the coach is a jerk" and they don't buy it. Just falls on deaf ears.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

This week should go well for the tigers. Jefferson is a cupcake,after that, I guess will see if they have a system!

They have a system and they have some athletes, but football requires a lot of athletes, it is the ultimate team game. Without blocking up front, not only will you be unable to run plays, but guys could get hurt.

From what I've been reading here, it seems Hackettstown has the next Aaron Rodgers right here in their midst and they are not giving the kid a chance?

Pardon my ignorance, but has this kid thrown for 300 yards in any JV games, freshman games?

A good example of a coach adjusting to his players' talents was Matt Parzero, who came to North Warren a few years ago and established a winning culture ... he is a Lenape Valley guy and a true believer in the Wing-T ... and the team started winning in a way North Warren never had before.

Among the kids was a quarterback named Tim Lurz, who really could sling it, and Parzero put the kid's talents to use. Once North Warren established itself as a powerful running team, Lurz started coming up with some astonishing numbers, throwing from the Wing-T.

You can pass from the option system, too, if you have a dependable kid who can take advantage of a defense bringing too much manpower close to the line.

The thing is, you can't have a selfish kid playing quarterback ... it is a team game and you can't be forcing anything.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Mr. Parzero applied for the Head Coaching job at Hackettstown,and was turned down, yes another great move by the A D .I hope the boys finish strong,there JV team is undefeated,so next year they can look at a title shot! Aaron Rodgers,really,LOL

This day and age a JV Team being undefeated really doesn't mean much. With so many schools playing their younger talent at the Varsity level you can't get a feel for how JV success will translate into Varsity success. Many Teams will have their top sophomores and juniors playing varsity which leave the JV squads very weak. You also see a lot of good Freshman these days playing at the JV level to prepare them for Varsity come their sophomore year. Everyone can make all the excuses they want about how the football Team has fallen on bad times the last few weeks but the fact of the matter is the Team was 3-0 with their starting QB, 4-0 if you go back to last year and 0-3 with their backup QB. If you went to a game at the start of the season and saw the starting QB handle the offense from the way he was able to make reads, pass the ball with velocity, run with the ball and make people miss and go to a game now and see the backup QB handle the offense it's night and day. All you hear on WRNJ during the games are the announcers making excuses for the backup QB saying it's only his 3rd game playing varsity. News flash: The starting QB and the backup QB have basically the same number of varsity games under their belt 3-0 vs 0-3 and if you read the season preview article the coach said the QB position was a close race so it wasn't like the backup QB is a freshman being asked to play varsity. Bottom line is no adjustments are made during the course of a game. The coaches go in with a game plan and stick with it no matter what is happening during the course of the game. That is the difference between a good coaching staff and just a head coach. A Good coaching staff makes adjustments! All you needed to do was go to the Dover game and you will know what I'm saying. After all of this they still have an outside chance of getting back in the playoff race if they win this week.

Royals19 Royals19
Oct '15

JV team was undefeated last year too. Really doesn't mean much.

Benn4 Benn4
Oct '15

That's interesting ... Parzero went to North Warren while Villante was still at HHS and Tony did get the Tigers into the playoffs in 2011. Whatever you don't like about him, he did get them to the playoffs a couple of times and beat Warren Hills, too. The job opened up in 2013, so that must be when Parzero applied.

He never told me he applied ... very smart of him to keep it out of the papers.

Parzero beat Warren Hills on the night they opened their new stadium, and North Warren only had 20 kids!!

Yeah, if that's true, I would have hired Parzero without hesitation, ASAP before he has time to change his mind.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

The Dover coach gave me a good quote after that game ...

desperate times call for desperate measures.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Its kind of sad to hear people placing blame on the #2 QB. Remember these are kids playing HS ball doing their best, not paid professionals. Andy, you know your HS sports. Wasn't the first lose played in a down pour? And isn't Hanover Park a pretty strong team? Seems like people should lighten up a little. Would the #1 QB have done that much better?

Andy, what do you think?

NYRGUY
Oct '15

JJB4

Thanks for the compliment to Minnie. I've often told him that he should have coached the team years ago.

Magpie Magpie
Oct '15

Royals19 if you only knew what a dummy you sound like bashing kids that try there best . The first 3 teams they played were not the best teams in the Schedule we are in the the toughest part of the season and you put blame on JV quarter back shame on you

Rob spezza Rob spezza
Oct '15

Nobody is blaming the QB, he is doing the best he can with the plays the coaches are calling. The whole problem is the coaches have not adjusted to the different style QB's and are calling the same plays and are expecting the same results.

Royals19 Royals19
Oct '15

Yes, the first loss was to Lenape Valley after a 3-0 start and it was played in nasty, rainy conditions -- and the Tigers hung in there against a very good team that has a winning tradition.

They lost that game because the defense did not make a stop when LV faced a third and 15 late in the game. LV got the first down and then ran the clock out on them --- make a stop and the offense would have had a shot at pulling it out.

Hanover Park? They are 6-0.and they play a real fast tempo -- they were in the North 2 Group 2 playoffs last year and have five returning starters on offense and six returning starters on defense.

I really doubt Hackettstown would have beaten them, no matter who was at quarterback, because the Tigers' problems were on defense. They were down four TDs by halftime.

From my experience, from when I was young and played this highly challenging game, coaches will only call plays the kids have shown they can execute in practices. Some new things will be put into the arsenal as the season goes on, and scouting reports carry a lot of weight --- not many kids master the playbook in the first three weeks --- adjustments are made at practice as the team prepares for the threats the next opponent presents.

Nobody ever makes up new plays at halftime. Most adjustments during a game are defensive, most offensive adjustments involve blocking schemes and trying to make the play-calling less predictable, changing tendencies the opponent may have picked up on. There also may be things the coaches and players have picked up that give away what the opponent will do in certain situations.

Most high school teams do not have really extensive playbooks with series they can run from multiple formations --- I know the NFL looks real easy on TV, but this is high school.

A few years ago, Villante's team, with Chris Souders at quarterback, ran a brilliant NFL-style two-minute drill, to pull out a thrilling game at Hanover Park in the final seconds.

If anyone out there has that drive on videotape, I'd suggest the Hackettstown coaches review it ASAP --- I believe a lot of the coaches were on the staff then, it was just about five years ago.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

This is the same conversation every year! The posts are the same,we all talk about the same thing. The story is the same,the high school needs a system,the system needs to be handed down to the junior program,everyone runs the same offense and defense.
We need a head coach that runs the program, not a program that runs the coach,the complaining about quarterbacks,and blocking, and tackling.Where should they learn these things?Why is there no quarterback coach,why is there no kicking coach,the High School coach has a tough job teaching these kids all new skills.Everyone will be back next year, with the same posts,and nothing will change,Ego gets in the way! Well the good news is Tigers should beat Jefferson, there a cupcake team,and the JV,will get there chance to put there talent to work.This way all the sideline experts will be happy!

I like that, "the sideline experts."

What they want is to see the quarterback drop back, survey the field, and throw 50-yard touchdown passes. Like the world's most talented players do on TV.

Not as easy as it looks when Tom Brady does it --- and how did Brady do when the Giants put a pass rush on him and knocked him around?

The coach at West Morris has said, many times, that controlling the ball on the ground is the great equalizer in high school football. If you sustain long drives you stay in the game, even if the other team has more "fire power."

Not glamorous, but very effective.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Lobo look at some of the youth ball or should I say Daddy ball programs in the area. They are not grooming athletes. They are trying to live out Daddy's dreams.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

So true! Some of them never been in the trenches,its always easy on this side of the fence! Every parent should be given a copy of The Man In The Arena..' written by a great President Theodore Roosevelt,April 23, 1910, still hold true today! Please read and add your comments to this thread!

oh my goodness.

let's accept a few things.

for fans, football is entertainment. yes, it's more fun to watch a win, but it's not a birthright. the players are not there to win for you so you can be proud of "your" accomplishments, it's to build community spirit. if you're not a fan, who will watch win or lose, then find something else.

for the parents, most of the athletes are not getting money to play in college nor are they going to parlay their skills to get into a better school. yes, some will, but don't expect it. and almost no one is ever going to make money playing the sport.

for players, understand that you're there to have fun with friends and learn about teamwork.

coaches, teach the kids about life - how to help your teammate, how to achieve by working hard, how to manage your priorities.

anything else is just a blissful bonus.

ken e
Oct '15

One of the best things ever written.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Hackettstown winning tonite 24-0 in the fourth quarter

Oct '15

Go Tigers!

brown bear2 brown bear2
Oct '15

Final Score Hackettstown 24-0

Oct '15

At the HS level, it is all about honing your skill and team spirit. If the coaches base their positions on what is told to them freshmen year, then they're going to miss out on some major talent. The point of all the summer camps/practices is to identify talent, not only in areas where the coaches expect to be, but to scout out more. As the season unrolls and continues, this needs to continue, as there are many an athlete that, 'freeze under pressure' and cannot execute during a game. That is where HHS lacks and other HS are able to get a one-up on HHS. These boys that are committed to the sport,
work extremely hard off season and need to have the chance to show their talents, whether or not they were previously 'slotted' at a particular position. We are a small town with a huge football heart.

Tiger Fan Family
Oct '15

Sounds like you are saying someone should be playing, who is not.

Saw Warren Hills tonight, beat Somerville 14-7. The defensive line was bringing the heat, hope the Tigers work on their blocking, those Blue Streaks were coming hard. A recovered fumble gave WH a short field and touchdown.

WH got a nifty touchdown pass, a one-handed catch worthy of ESPN Sports Center.

They were gentlemen, with first and goal in the final minute they took a knee twice.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Warren Hills is a well coached football team,glad Tigers won, they needed that,now can they close out the season above 500,that would be a plus, going into next year!

Good, positive attitude.

Y'know, thinking back, Hackettstown did get pretty good quarterback play during the Villante years from Chris Souders and Carl Von Glahn.

Souders went on to play at Moravian. Von Glahn became a tight end at Wilkes. They won their fair share of games.

Considering what Warren Hills has been through this year, I was really impressed with their play last night.

Right now both teams are trying to get into the playoffs (which I personally think takes in too many teams -- I've seen Pburg win blowouts year after year against teams that had no business being on the same field with them) ...

The Beater Board game should be good, starting to look forward to it.

Feel bad for these parents whose kids are not as good at football as daddy and mommy they think they are. If they don't stand out at Hackettstown, where are they going to stand out? Pope John? Immaculata? H-town beat Morris Catholic, they could transfer them over there. Then, they could go to Notre Dame and be the next Rudy, maybe.

I'd say, concentrate on academics and get yourself a career, like the rest of us had to.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Is this the Andy Loigu Forum???? For the most part I see on here.....Adults....criticizing young high school student athletes in a small town.....My town for many years. How about supporting our Football Team......win or lose!! Going to practice every day and working hard does not guarantee playing time....you have to be just as good .....or better than the person ahead of you on the Depth Chart. That's how it is.....Its not Recreation anymore ( Although some Rec Teams do not .....and should play everyone who is committed !! ). To build a high school program we must have game experience at the lower Rec Level...of course ability and talent are needed. Our QB at Hackettstown is doing a very good job .....the team has suffered season ending injuries to key players.....other players have stepped up!!!! Big game on Friday Night vs Madison which is Senior Night !! It will be an exciting game with great half time entertainment from our Tiger Band. And the Great support and spirit that our Tiger Cheerleaders provide in rooting our football team onto Victory!!!! Kickoff is at 7pm.....Please come out and support.......

Go Tigers !!!

maxsky maxsky
Oct '15

Even in Rec ... you can't play a kid who doesn't block.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Tigers are playing better the 500 ball now,if they beat Madison, and Warren Hills they can get into the playoffs ! Coach is a hero,no more complaining,and everyone is happy.
If not we have ground hog day,again!

Only the first eight games count for power points toward the playoffs, so the Warren Hills game is just for pride and The Beater Board.

I agree that this is a competitive team, certainly a respectable one. People who complain about coaching decisions need to get a grip.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.