2015-16 NHL Season

What, not even a mention that camps are done and we're in pre-season now??

I don't pay attention now because the season is too long and most of the teams make the playoffs. Talk to me in June about the finals LOL.

Ready to watch, interested to see and hear what MSG talkers have to say about the Blueshirts, they should pick up right where they left off.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '15

Stanley Cup or bust.

Did anybody notice last year that Tampa Bay Lightning uniforms looked like Warren Hills?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Getting ready to watch the Canucks play in my hometown Victoria!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '15

Boy, the NBA gets no love at all on HL and college basketball is non-existent until everybody is playing their March Madness pools.

Is it because the Knicks, Nets, and Rutgers haven't been doing well?

I remember Bill Bradley playing for Princeton in the Final Four --- I copied him when I'd shoot my 100 practice free throws every day: when someone said to me after a game that I shoot free throws like Bill Bradley, I could have just floated home --- I'm certifiably old.

Just saying. There's nothing as suspenseful and exciting as a hockey game that means something, but I also love basketball.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Start a basketball thread and see if anyone posts on it... but keep that CRAP out of our hockey thread, please (-;

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

I tried a basketball thread a couple of years ago.

You do a great job in March, Ian, I commend you for that.

Unfortunately, since so many teams make it, the NBA and NHL have become playoff sports, and I'd much rather see those series be two out of three, rather than four out of seven ... but the owners would never go for it.

The NFL and March Madness are so great because each round is one game ... do or die. The best team does not always win, but that's show business.

Go Rangers ... all in for the CUP this year!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Re: 2015-16 NHL Season

Even I had to laugh at this one...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

miss brodeur

SilKy JaZZ SilKy JaZZ
Oct '15

Hockey New and SI have Ducks winning the cup this year.
I'm going for NYR over Ducks.
Second choice: watch out for Caps (maybe even Isles) vs return of the Kings.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '15

Melrose has a NYR vs TB semi again.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '15

Barry Melrose is also still sporting a mullet. Do you really trust his judgment? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Ducks? - Good team. Not a great team. Defense doesn't look strong enough to be a cup winner, let alone their goal tending. So many other western teams look better than almost anything in the east. So why the Ducks??

Caps and Isles both strong playoff contenders. But they're no Pittsburgh. Neither are the Rangers although the whole picture changes if Lundqvist has a big playoffs.

"Melrose" - Who??? ;-)

To be honest I had mullet.
But I was a teen and it was the 80s.
NYR 1-0. 81 to go.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '15

Didn't watch last night, the baseball game was compelling, a must see.

Anyway, I like the Rangers' chances. Except for Martin St. Louis retiring, not much has changed with the team and I still think Henrik is at the prime of his career, at least for one more year if not more. Carl Hagelin and Cam Talbot got traded off to Western Canada and I wish them well, they have good futures, I liked them as Rangers but now their stars will shine elsewhere --- that's pro sports.

I like Vigneault's coaching style over the long haul, he'll keep the team on a steady course.

Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi (not to be confused with Joe Girardi) will have a big workload.

Elsewhere, Pittsburgh is scary, adding Phil Kessel to the same line with Sidney Crosby. The Washington Capitals added forward depth by getting Oshie, and a big tough-guy team just got bigger with that deal, but for some reason, Washington teams have a way of choking, in all sports.

I know the Kings and Blackhawks have gone back and forth as Cup champions each year since 2012, and lots of people like the Ducks (they may not be what they've been quacked up to be, we'll see).

There's a lot of buzz about the rookies McDavid (with the Oilers) and Eichel (at Buffalo) who may become the Larry Bird and Magic Johnson of the NHL over the next decade. The league can use exciting and marketable rising stars.

Yes, looms as an exciting season. That's enough of my two-cents for now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

fujixt1 - Looks like your team halted the streak. Either the Canucks or the Blue Jackets get last night's not gonna take it Dee Snider Award.

haha YES!

What a sweet victory that was and our rookie's played an important role!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Oct '15

Who cares about the Jest? (Not a typo)

How about those red hot Rangers? Is there such a thing as TOO GOOD a start in the marathon that is the NHL regular season and playoffs?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Instead of an All-Star game this year, each division will form a team consisting of 6 forwards, 3 defensemen and 2 goalies and play a 3-game 3-on-3 tournament, with each game lasting 20 minutes.

I think it will be interesting; I love the action of the 3-on-3 overtime. Although it's not "real hockey", obviously, it's better to end a game that way than in a shootout, IMO.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '15

Well, they get it. All Star games are entertainment and should not decide who gets to play at home in an all-important game 7.

Those Rangers! Wow, 14-2-2, for 30 standings points, 57 goals for and only 32 allowed in just 18 games. Pretty good start, I'd say.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

the rangers are just tired, they need a nap, ssshhh let them sleep

I've seen bad stretches before, but maybe not from such a previously successful team

roywhite roywhite
Dec '15

They made a three-goal comeback ... still signs of life in them ... been making a lot of mistakes...a lot of them.

Long season yet.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '15

NYR 8-2-1 last 11, 5th overall, not too shabby

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '16

Who cares if Washington finishes first overall?

It's all about the playoffs.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

Rangers pick up Eric Staal.

NYRGUY
Feb '16

Phenomenal pickup. Adds a quality veteran with playoff experience, who knows how to lead and how to win, should help the team offensively.

It's a win-now move, going for it in the playoffs.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

i read somewhere that NYR doesn't have a draft pick until round three now. Is that correct?

I guess it's all in for the cup this year.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Feb '16

Like the move, the team can always stock up on picks with off season moves. Assuming Nash can come back thats a lot of talent to spread out over a few lines. Maybe/hopefully the last we see of Glass.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '16

Roywhite - The Rangers are losing Eric Staal, Moore, Stalberg, Yandle, and Boyle to UFA. There are other RFA's. The two D in particular won't come easy to replace, one through free agency is very possible. But two free agents is going to be tough particularly with salary caps. Last I saw of Brady Skjei, it doesn't look like it's bringing players up either. If they had picks to give it would be a way to go but they've already done that. It leaves them with a tough potential route of trading bigger names. Particularly at their current salary level that's not going to be easy. Those picks are likely to get lost in the shuffle of the rest of the replacements. That's the thing with trading picks for "rent-a-player" types for a few months and then lost to UFA. You don't get those picks back.

OK but its 2016, and playoffs are coming, this how its done now. You dont yet know who is leaving via ufa yet but who would care if we never see Boyle or Stalberg again, Yandels value is in name only, he's been average at best. The missing picks wouldnt help them next year (a couple years they will) but they 2-3 players in Hartford will help.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '16

Come on all. More people talking 'bout wieners than hockey?!
NYR without Hank and the captain. Dont like our chances this yesr anymore.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

Keep the faith.

Washington looks awesome, and the Penguins come in really hot, but the playoffs are a new season, the real season.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Good news fellow Rangers fans, Dan Giradi is out for game 2!

Denis Denis
Apr '16

Hank said right now its just swelling and he can see fine. Game time, bet he plays. We might win one yet.

Like Girardi, but wont miss him.
What have you done for me lately?
Thanks now take a seat

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

Malkin is back! Say goodnight Ranger fans. LOL :)

LETS GO PENS!

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Hanks starting so worries there.

I've seen players, even stars (Malkin), come back and upset the chemistry. NY will win 2 now. No matter, Caps are coming out of the east.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

The only cup the Caps' are going to raise is the President's. ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Duh, my post should say "no" worries.

Sticking with my 2nd pick from Oct., LA over Caps.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

Hope the Rangers didn't give up. It looked like a good hard hitting series. ...until lastnight.

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Nobody showed up to play last night.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

Malkin certainly showed up. 2G, 2A.

Yeah, nobody in blue showed.
Hayes was a healthy scratch, too bad it took this long.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

So much for that season. Henrik was never the same after the eye injury. Hoping AV get fired, no passion in this team. Way to committed to playing veteran stiffs like Boyle and Giradi. Skjei, Diaz, and Mcllrath all should have been playing regularly this year. Mcllrath will no doubt walk as a free agent, and there will be plenty of teams happy to have his presence in the lineup!

Denis Denis
Apr '16

You see Hank get beat 3 times with no screen glove hand high. Today was on him.
I forgive him.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

Wait 'till next year, time to move on. Should be an interesting off-season.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Rangers year was last year. Nothing more nothing less. If Matt's was around I think they would have won. Just speculation but there will be a cleaning of house.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '16

Guys, guys, guys!!!! Where you all going??? Still plenty of hockey to be played!

LETS GO PENS!!!! :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

"Rangers year was last year. Nothing more nothing less. If Matt's was around I think they would have won. Just speculation but there will be a cleaning of house." -CraftBeerBob

I agree with you about their year being last year; they let it slip away. They need to clean house but I don't think they will enough. They'll make some moves but it's not going to be enough.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Apr '16

CraftBeerBob - Clean house? Last year? The Rangers never think that way. If the year was last year, why dump your picks for Eric Staal? Clean out your team caption? Again? A new coach? Again? Cleaning house is too much to do all the time. And that would admit it needs doing. I don't see that happening. Big trades and signings aren't instant things any more with the cap. Look for smaller changes.

The Pens are definitely the hot team carrying over from the regular season. But look out to the west. So is San Jose. Dallas and St Louis have been strong all year long. St Louis looks like they've finally got the confidence, they've always had the talent for several years now.

I'm a Rangers fan, but I'm not optimistic for the near future. Too much salary tied up in Giradi, Marc Staal, and Lunqvist. A coach who won't let young players develop, and draft picks traded away over and over. The fact that Giradi is signed through 2020 and Staal though 2021 should make any Ranger fan nauseous.

Denis Denis
Apr '16

Get your Game 7 on, boys...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

Go Islanders. Nice to see they get all they can out of who ever they have and can beat someone like the Bolts.

The Pens/Caps series may well be as good as the finals. St Louis/Chicago was already quite a power house match up. This one should be even better.

Go Bolts Go

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

Re: 2015-16 NHL Season

Greiss picked a good time to play the best hockey of his career.

Denis Denis
Apr '16

PENS/CAPS game.......wow! Some crazy shots!
Hope this goes 7......going to be a great series to watch.

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Amazing, all those replays of the game winner, all lead to believe no goal, except one. Glad ref's called it right.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

The Stars & Blues series isn't going to be bad either. ;-)

Wow didn't see that coming a month ago.
SJ over Pitt.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '16

Another President's Trophy winner goes down.

Nice comeback though, to force the OT.

Steelers, Pirates, Penguins ... Pittsburgh is a real good sports town.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

Game 7 in Dallas tonight; Game 7 in Saint Joe tomorrow night... it's been a great couple rounds of playoff hockey, unless you're a Rangers fan )=

ianimal ianimal
May '16

"SJ over Pitt"????

The Penguins have some mojo right now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

GC, I believe what he didn't see coming a month ago was the Pens beating the Caps, when he predicted the Caps coming out of the East. I believe that he is now predicting that the Sharks will beat the Pens in the SC Finals.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Let's get past Tampa before SJ, GC. ;)

Pittsburgh will always be the greatest sports city in my opinion Andy.

They have a t.v. show called Friday Night Tykes: Steel Country on the Esquire network.
I played against alot of those towns, where football is king.

Hot corner Hot corner
May '16

ianimal - I understand but there's nothing to indicate a prediction. I wasn't sure whether it's the wrong teams for what just happened, the wrong team for the SJ/Nash series, or something that hasn't even happened yet. (not to mention the series after this)

Sorry to digress into old-timer football, but Pittsburgh gave us old Baltimore Colts fans Johnny Unitas.

Always grateful to Pittsburgh for that.

And then U of Pitt didn't think Joe Flacco had what it takes, and he eventually led the Ravens to a Super Bowl win.

History repeats. Thank you, thank you, Pittsburgh.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

"U of Pitt didn't think Joe Flacco had what it takes"

I don't think that's necessarily an accurate portrayal of what happened. Obviously, they thought enough of him to give him a full ride; he just couldn't beat out Tyler Palko to get on the field and chose to transfer to the FCS so he could get playing time.

That Flacco turned out to be a better NFL QB than Palko is undeniable... Palko is a 6'1 lefty, while Flacco has the 6'6 frame that the NFL game is better suited to.

That he was a better NCAA QB is open to debate, and most of the evidence falls on Palko's side.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

It's a different game in college, for sure.

Johnny U got cut by the Steelers before he came to the Colts.

He played some semi-pro in the Steel City for, I believe it was like six bucks a game.

That might have been "real money" back in 1955, but what a story, considering what his career became.

Well, back to the hockey. GAME ON!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

I assumed (1st mistake) posters have been following the thread and the games. I had NY over Ducks as a prediction along with a few others (Wash) as the series went on but I'm always wrong. Didn't think anybody had Pitt moving on so "didn't see that coming".
Now I got SJ over Pitt, so I'm sure it'll Be StL vs TB

BTW: Im a Steeler fan, been to Pitt, as a sports city its great but can't beat the NY area, more than one team in each sport.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '16

I did say three weeks ago on this thread that the Penguins were coming into the playoffs really hot ... and this is the time to be hot.

About sports cities -- NY does have all those teams, and it is about eight times the size of most major cities -- but you have a lot of animosity among the fan bases -- sports is like some kind of civil war.

Some of my old Baltimore friends have retired to Delaware, now, and they tell me people there root for both the Phillies and O's, Eagles and Ravens (different leagues/conferences)... of course, they are more mature about it because they all are like over 70 years old.

I recall the headline in 1983, when the O's and Phils won the league championships on the same day and were to meet in the World Series ... Wilmington is Torn.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

So much for the drama of a Game 7. Hopefully tomorrows matchup is better, lol

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Go, Pens, go... beat St. Joe.

Good to see Hags have a chance to get his name on The Cup. I always liked him.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

March of the Penguins.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

YESSSSSSsssss!!!!! :)

Hot corner Hot corner
May '16

I was really hoping to see St Louis and Pittsburgh, but at least it isn't Tampa. Maybe Tampa would seem more like a contender if they had a healthy Stamkos the whole time. But I just don't think they were a match for any of the other 4 in the conference finals. (even if they did take the Pens to 7) San Jose has had talent for a long time, they're deserving even if I like the Blues better. Thorton's waiting a long time for this.
He's had a great year both regular season, and playoffs.

Pens lead series 3-1 going back to Pitt to raise the Cup! ;)

Not sure what happened to SJ's potent offense, guess they can't shake the butterflies.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

GO PENS!!!!!!!

Phantom Ballplayer Phantom Ballplayer
Jun '16

Hot corner - Defensemen involvement, particularly Burns, seems to be a keep part of SJ offense. From what I saw last night, their defense is way too tied up fighting off Crosby, Kessel, and Malkin.

Pens are getting it done.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

GC- I believe it's the total of shots on goal, that is the table tipper in favor of Pitt.
They are almost doubling any of their playoff opponents.
Good things happen when you put the puck on goal. :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Hot corner, it's the number of shots IN goal that is important (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

Right! I just hope they end it on Thursday.....these late nights are killing me, lol.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

I think the theory is, the more you take, the more you make.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Nice in theory Andy, but in practice great goal tending will negate that.

Two great goalies, team A takes 40 shots team B takes 20. I would put my money on team A every time.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Burns takes himself out of the play too often trying to hit people. I haven't looked at his +/-, but I think that a number of PIT goals have been scored while he is on the ice.

The goal post has been San Jose's best friend, imo.

GO PENS!!!!!

Burns is +1 for the Pit series, and +9 over the whole playoffs. I don't think he's played badly at all defensively, nor has SJ in general. I'm trying to say its more about Pitt's aggressive offensive play. That has made it very difficult to have time for SJ's defensemen to pitch in on offense.

I'll agree with that GC and also agree with gpg, the goal posts have taken a beating in this series.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Theres blood in the water.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '16

Well back to SJ. :(
One of the worst officiated games this year.
I believe the 5 minute major that was blown for
the missed boarding penalty could of put the Sharks to bed. I've seen it called all season, why not now? Protecting players????
Along with interference and roughing????
Congrats NHL you have your extended season.

Still a great game! Those boys were really flying lastnight!

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Brody, Pitt had a bigger boat.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '16

Congratulations, Penguins!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Yes! Champs!

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

If anyone watches the upcoming Hockey World Cup, my company designed the transmitter that gets installed into the referee helmets. So if you see footage on TV from the refs point of view, I helped make that a reality. I designed the mechanical parts for it. If it works out, might even branch out to other sports.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

I wish they would bring back the helmat cam to football. They used it for one season in the world league and it was awesome.

If it becomes a hit with the NHL, then I'm sure other sports will want it too.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

And if it's an epic fail, we'll never let you live it down, Metsman (-;

They should incorporate the "glow puck" technology from the old NHL on Fox days to the NFL so you can tell when the football crosses the goal line even if it's in the middle of a sea of bodies...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

They've had a number of helmet cams in the NHL before. Many players don't to wear the helmet let alone the cam. They'll only do it in things like the All Star Game when they don't hit anyway. A couple of goalies do it here and there depending on the situation. But when you can mount a camera in the goal for a similar perspective, it's not as much of a draw. Other sports will probably be better targets.

GC, he was saying that the "referees" will be wearing them, not the players. It should be interesting to see the refs POV when he sees a penalty occur and makes the call...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

Have not been able to see a full game yet or the new ref cam, sounds cool.

Hated the "glow puck"! Probably neat if you were under the influence of something ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Sep '16

GC only the refs with have the helmet cam.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

So I saw the ref cam in action. Not bad! They had a shot of Ovechican skating towards a ref yapping which I really enjoyed.
would like to see more.

Hot corner Hot corner
Sep '16

I haven't seen any footage yet, but that is cool.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

I understood it was only the refs, I was saying why it would only ever be the refs in any competitive play. It might be a little interesting to see Ovechkin arguing, but it's way more interesting to see his perspective when he has a breakaway goal. That's all I was saying.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/we-can-watch-the-ref-cam-view-of-auston-matthews-goal-on-loop-forever

Here's a shot of the ref-cam. The GIF image after the video shows the refs point of view on a goal.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Should just call it the crosby cam. He spends the whole game crying to the ref

All these engineers on this site ... I'm impressed.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.