$25 off your Verizon bill if you do not upgrade

(Maybe I'm the last person to know about this - I don't know!)

Verizon has recently changed their plans, but if you have been on the Family Share talk & text plan, you are allowed to remain on it, & get your subsidized upgrade if you'd like.

If you have an upgrade availabe and do not use it, and are on the Family Share plan (NOT the Edge plan), Verizon will take $25 off your bill each month. So instead of a $40 line fee for a smartphone, the fee is $15.
I had 2 lines that did not use upgrades, so am getting a $50 credit each month.
VERIZON WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY GIVE YOU THE CREDIT. I found out about this credit when I recently accessed my account online.

Of course, each person will need to figure out which plan will be most beneficial for them. My daughter would like a new phone, so I'm currently trying to figure out if we should use our upgrade, or buy with the new installment plan (if allowed), or simply purchase outright.

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Oct '15

I heard this option will kick you off a unlimited plan though, is that correct?

I have a phone on my plan still hanging onto the unlimited data

Darrin Darrin
Oct '15

It's a slippery slope with one truth, you can't go back. I think there are three plans right now.

Darrin's plan, the original with unlimited data

The More Everything Plan

The new Verizon Plan (with small, medium and supersized data)

Only the Verizon Plan is available for new users. For the rest of us, basically you save about $20 or so a month as you move up the food chain. Basically everything is unlimited voice and text but the data bundles change. So Darrin you are unlimited but if you moved you would choose either 6Gb or 12Gb of data. The More Everything Plan topped out at 10Gb.

The other thing you look at is how you get the phones. The new plans are pushing "phone rentals" where you pay a pretty steep monthly rate. If you break phones, it's a good deal, if you don't, it isn't. Plus you need to check that if you jump to that option, can you go back. They also have a per-line smart phone charge which gigs you for every smart phone you have.

This $25 discount sounds like it's on top for those who buy their phones out of network. Sounds cool since I have one like that. I did have unlimited on one phone, dropped it for the More Everything Plan and basically saved some cash and actually picked up a Gb or so by merging all the lines. My jump to the Verizon Plan saves only about $10 a month and not sure of all the downside yet so since 10Gb is fine, I am waiting.

The cell prices are in competitive mode right now so sometimes waiting might get you a better offer.

Darrin, you can check but if you are not topping 12GBs, you might be able to save by going to the new plan. But do it by phone with a rep and just check how those phone upgrades will happen and any other difference between plans they can mention. I have found them to be honest and if you get confused, say thank you and call back another time with the same questions.

Good luck and thanks Tryingtosave. Oh, one other thing that TTS sort of mentioned. If Verizon has a discount or a better plan, they won't hunt you down. You need to hunt them up. Again, make the call, ask the questions, once you get a human they do seem knowledgeable and honest. Only issue I have is when I can't understand all the variables, options, and payments. So I often call back which is the mode I am in with the new Verizon Plan.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '15

I got the new iPhone 6S. Transferred everything over from my old phone and then called to activate it. Automated message said my new device was active. Great, done. Since the phone was on WiFi, I was getting emails, so it seemed everything was fine. Come the next day, when I was out of the house, I couldn't send text messages or make call. Hmmm. Call Verizon. A very nice older lady tells me that my plan is out of date and I would have to get a new one (old plan: 5GB Data, 700 share min). Great, I figure my bill is going to go up $20. She tells me there's actually a plan for loyal customers, 2GB data, unlimited talk/text, $82 a month for two phones. Each additional GB is $10 (Normally $15). Going by my normal usage, plan will actually cut my bill by about $35 a month. Instead of ~$145 a month, I should be right around $110. We'll see how it goes. I normally use 3-5GB a month.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

I will not loose the unlimited plan for teo reasons. We now watch our dvr with it up at camp oretty much using 2-4 gb per show. I would also sell the plan first. I dont know if it is true but i was told by a verizon agent that people are paying big bucks to buy out those plans.

Darrin Darrin
Oct '15

Darrin - Many people with the old unlimited plans hold on to them any way they can. I've also heard that there are people who sell their unlimited plans, but I don't know how that's done.

MeisterNJ - It's good that you called Verizon because publicly, I don't see any plans offering 2 Gb. I believe now they are all 1G, 3G, 6G, etc. Watch your monthly bill that Verizon doesn't charge you $15 for the Data overages instead of the $10, since you'll most likely go over the 2G. How did you purchase your new phone? Did you buy it outright (pay retail)? Use an upgrade? I'm just curious - trying to figure out my options for daughter's new phone.

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Oct '15

Yeah, the new plan offers 1gb and 3gb so 2gb sounds like a strange one but at 6gbs, the new plan is cheaper.

Darrin, that's what I was saying, it only makes sense to drop unlimited if you can live within one of the package guidelines. FYI, they MAY offer expanded packages as follows. 20GB – $120, 25GB – $175, 30GB – $224, 40GB – $300, 50GB – $375, 60GB – $450, 80GB – $600 and 100GB – $750. Plus $20 a line for access.

Doubtful that will help in your case buy FYI.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '15

All my phones since I have bought outright and added them to my plan myself since getting the unlimited plan.

Darrin Darrin
Oct '15

I ordered the phone directly through Verizon. I was due for an upgrade. Got the phone for the discounted rate with 2 year plan. You bet I'll watch my bill. Should have it in a few days, my cycle ends on the 7th.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

There is an 18 GB plan called the XXL for 100 bucks. We have 4 lines on the plan and that's the sweet spot for us. Basically paying $5.55 per GB.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

Darrin - Get ready to pay more...

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/08/technology/verizon-unlimited-plan-increase/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool&iid=obnetwork

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '15

Now wait, how can they do that??? When I signed my "contract" we agreed on price

"The company said it only applies to less than 1% of its customers" So then why are they so concerned?

Darrin Darrin
Oct '15

I assume you're off the original 2 year contract, and month to month now.

Terms can change at any point once the "contract" has expired.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '15

Guess it's bye bye verizon time!!! That was the only thing holding me to verizon

Darrin Darrin
Oct '15

I'll be somewhat bye-bye Verizon myself soon (at least when I'm paying the bill). My company provided Galaxy S6 with unlimited everything should be here Monday.

Then I'll port my existing number over to Republic Wireless as a backup for cheap...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '15

I wonder how long it will take AT&T to follow suit. I've been grandfathered in on unlimited data for a few years now.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Why do you need unlimited data? How much do you use a month? Just curious.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

About 12GB per month or so between the wife and me. It's $30 per month per phone so I'm not sure it's even a good deal, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

When I am up on my property in PA, (no power or tv) we stream the baseball game from x1 to her phone, uses about 3gb per game *(my wife is the fanatic not me, I could care less about sports)

Darrin Darrin
Oct '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.