Vehicle registration question

My registration expired last week and was renewed online. Is it true my car will be towed if I'm caught driving it? Registration is in my soon to be ex husbands name and I'm afraid he won't send it to me.

Iloveny Iloveny
Oct '15

Registration renews instantly online. Worst you can get is failure to exhibit documents ticket if your pulled over. Just go to MV and get a duplicate.

I think as long as the system shows it was renewed you will be OK since the cop scans your plate to check in the system if you did not renew. My husband failed to renew his by mistake and yes, the Chester cops impounded his car!!! Really sucked!

Ok thank you.

Iloveny Iloveny
Oct '15

Iloveny

Something similar happened to me. I kept my registration renewal form and a copy of the NJMVC online receipt as well as a copy of my email confirmation in the glovebox with my just expired registration. That way, even if the computer hasn't caught up yet due to miscommunication or delay in updating (and yes, it apparently does happen), the officer has proof on hand that you do have your documentation current.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

If the registration is in his name, then you won't be able to get a duplicate at DMV. You would need a notarized authorization letter.
Print a copy of the receipt off the computer with the confirmation number. At ,east you have proof if you do get pulled over, not sure it won't get you a ticket though.

justcurious justcurious
Oct '15

go to DMV and ask for a copy cost you a few dollars

Ralph Ralph
Oct '15

This sounds like something that should be addressed in your divorce settlement. If you are to keep the car, it should be titled and registered in your name. I had to do this and it was like I was buying the car and had to get a new title and new plates as well. I called NJ motor vehicles and they told me what needed to be done. I thought it would have been simpler than that, but unfortunately not.

Lynnada Lynnada
Oct '15

You can not go to dmv and get a copy if the car is not registered in your name!! Period!! i am married and they wouldnt do it. unless i had a specific form from their office that was notarized. It didnt even matter that i had POA for my husband. They insisted it be on their form.

lvresident lvresident
Oct '15

Thank you'll resident....that's what I tried telling them as well. I am a former MV employee and know what you are supposed to do, but I guess no one reads the prior posts.

justcurious justcurious
Oct '15

Thank you for the information. It's been helpful especially since ex husband insist we are all wrong...sigh.

Iloveny Iloveny
Oct '15

So does that mean he will give you the registration? I hope that is the case, so at least you have the documents in case you need them before you can transfer ownership.

Lynnada Lynnada
Oct '15

There's no need to carry any documents today. Cops have laptops and can check if the plates and registration is good and paid.In some states if you don't pay your insurance the co. notifies MV and your registration is suspended so the cop also knows if your insurance is good. And as far as license all you need to do is give him your name and DOB and he can pull up you pic and license and easily see it's you.

Columbus Columbus
Oct '15

My husband failed to renew his by mistake and yes, the Chester cops impounded his car!!!

That's insane.As long as you have a license and insurance not having the registration is trivial and at most the cop should have just reminded you. We live in a money grubbing police state. Did the impoundment cost you anything? And why would we have to register a car more than once?

Columbus Columbus
Oct '15

Sorry Columbus, but your information is incorrect.

Despite the ability of a police officer to access records via computer, New Jersey law requires the driver to have his license and the vehicle registration and insurance card in his possession. There is a fine of over $100 (I don't have the exact amount at hand) for failure to have the required documentation present.

As far as your husband failing to renew his registration, the law is quite clear. All vehicles MUST have current registration in order to be driven. It is the responsibility of every vehicle owner to renew the registration. Period. Why should your husband be exempt from the law?

"Money grubbing police state?" No, it's called following the law and being a responsible vehicle owner.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '15

We're not in a state with insurance notification like that, it's not good advice. Here it has been officially changed where you don't have to have the card but the policy number and phone number to call. As for license and registration it's still part of the law to present documents or get a ticket and potentially get taken off the road. Most cops have no problem with one of either reg or license because they're tied together. But the statute is there and they don't have to let it go.

JerryG is correct in that there is a fine of $187 or so for each document you are missing, which potentially could land you in hot water for up to $550 or so!

In the "old days", you could show up and show the court that you do actually have the proper documents and that they were in effect on the date that you failed to present them. I think the fine at that time used to be about $35.

Where I don't agree with JerryG was to say that it isn't a "money grab/grub". Police state, no, but to have made the fines that high was likely set to keep the police from issuing you a simple "documents" ticket if they felt that you were a normally conscientious motorist who made an error and they caught you slightly over the speed limit or the call was a bit nebulous as to exactly when you entered the intersection, just as it was turning yellow or after it had turned red.

They were taking decision-making out of the hands of the officer who may have given you some leeway in not giving you a "points" ticket, yet still hitting you with enough trouble to pay more attention next time.

The law now states that you MUST have all unexpired documents on hand if they are requested in a traffic stop and the fine applies on each document, hence my $550 or so possibility! If not, then showing up in court showing that they were properly in effect at the time stopped means essentially "zip".

Of course, to make it a "MUST" with no leeway is a bit ludicrous given the computers, etc. in a police cruiser these days, however best of luck if you as a normally conscientious motorist forget your wallet or purse!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.