High School Football Games

Am I the only parent in the Warren Hills district that doesn't let their 13 year old child go to a high school football game without parent supervision?

Painkiller Painkiller
Oct '15

There are plenty of responsible adults around, including policemen and school staff.

But, in today's world, I can't blame a parent for being protective.

I used to walk around town all the time when I was 13 ... I even walked around on my own in Baltimore! At night. I got into some pickup basketball games. You really improve your game when you play city kids.

Of course, that was 52 years ago and I was 6-3, 200 pounds when I was 13. I didn't know what fear was in those days.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Probably not. But you might be the only parent whose 13-year old would be caught dead being seen at a high school football game with his/her parents (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

I understand there are people around but they are not looking out for my individual child nor would they know if she or he was missing. I was at a football game at Warren Hills when my older child was in school a couple years back and security found two kids having sex in the woods. Now I don't believe that my child would be that irresponsible but it makes you think. Things we did when we were kids are not necessarily safe in this day and age. IDK I was just trying to get some insight as to why you would just drop your kid off especially at 13. Maybe Im over protective...

Painkiller Painkiller
Oct '15

At 13 I would hope that you would trust your kid enough to go to the football game- It's a gated field with Police, and tons of adults.

I also believe that if they leave they can't come back in. This means that they can't go in and out of the game all night.

To me this is part of growing up. Trust them until they give you a reason not to trust them.

Nosila Nosila
Oct '15

I always think it's funny to look back on my childhood and how I use to roam the streets with my friends, No cell phone, No GPS bracelet held with the promise that I would be home by the time the sun went down. In today's world parent's are so fearful to let their children out of their site for a split second!, And god forbid you let your child play outside on their own you might have Donna down the street texting you to "Make sure everything is okay?" or possibly call CPS before calling you first is even a thought in her mind. Either way I think we are a bit too paranoid as a society when it come's to letting our kids be just that KIDS, I blame a lot of it on the media and how they are constantly filling our home's with negative stories. If you look back on public record from 1960-2015 we have less crime now then we did, So I have to ask what changed in us as a society?

Me10
Oct '15

Alone or with Friends?

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

The new stadium at Warren Hills is great ... puts Hackettstown to shame (I don't mind saying that since I didn't grow up in this area).

It is gated and well lit.

Sooner or later you have to trust your kids to go out on their own.

Back in the day, all the dads would teach their sons how to fight and defend themselves.

I remember taking a karate class, and the teacher said, "Andy, what are YOU doing here."

I said, "I want to learn how to defend myself."

The teacher said, "Who would want to OFFEND you?"

Again, that was like 50 years ago. The world was different.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Painkiller -
There are a lot of parents at the game. Do you know another parent that is going? Ask your child to check in with them. I do let me kids go to the games. They go with a group of friends, and have a great time.

In the end it is your child, your rules and comfort level. Or you could go to the game.
Tonight will be a very emotionally charged game, just a something to keep in mind when you make your decision.

Go Streaks!

A Parent
Oct '15

With friends. Unfortunately I can't make it tonight or I would go if nothing else to see what goes on there for future reference. I guess I will have to attend a game to see for myself the atmosphere.

Painkiller Painkiller
Oct '15

Painkiller - i think you should go- I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Nosila Nosila
Oct '15

I don't understand why you are asking total strangers on a public forum advise on your child going to a FB game or anywhere for that matter. It's your child, if your gut feeling isn't sure, that's the feeling you go with. Your his/her mother not ours. I agree with them and I am sure they will be safe and have a good time. But it really isn't any of our business. Heaven forbid if anything did happen, you and you alone would never forgive yourself for letting total strangers talk you into something you did not feel comfortable with. You are the only one who knows the maturity and how responsible your child is. I know it's hard as a mom to start letting your child go. Your his/her mom "you" do what "you" think is best. You'll feel better about it. Good Luck!

auntiel auntiel
Oct '15

With a group of friends, I don't see the problem. Drop your child off and pick up at a certain time. If your child doesn't respect that rule, then the next game he/she would be sitting home, watching TV.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '15

Auntie lol I wasn't asking advise. I would never let a total stranger convince me on what I should or shouldn't do with my child. It just seemed that all his/her friends parents just drop there kids off and I thought it was strange. I'm a single dad by the way.

Painkiller Painkiller
Oct '15

I am a WH alum, so my opinion is biased but we have a great group of kids which has shown through the last couple of weeks. I was a kid who had my parents drop me off at the football games even in elementary school to hang with my friends (all of us by ourselves to be picked up once the game was over) and I turned out alright (no drugs, college graduate, plans for grad school) so don't worry, your child won't get corrupted or hurt :)

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Oct '15

Ok painkiller, single dad. I'm sorry but your post name is making me laugh now. I get it. Kids will do that to you. I do get your point "parents just drop them off." That's what they do now. I personally are on the same page as you. I find it not only strange but scary. As I said, you know "your" kid. You sound like a great dad with concerns, I can see you will go with your gut. I apologize for my misunderstanding. I am sure you are not the only parent that knows how to say NO. That is not a bad thing. Good job dad!!, and have a good night ;)

auntiel auntiel
Oct '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.