New to town

Hello all
I'm new to Hackettstown. I recently moved from Lyndhurst. I wanted to move from all the congestion and traffic so I'm trying something new. More so because I'm a mom with an 11 year old. Who knew an hour away in the same small state could be so different. I'm enjoying the relaxed atmosphere and unique areas in this town so far. Any suggestions on where to explore around here and get to know?Thanks

Hello and welcome. I think the first question is what are your interests? Without some direction the question of exploring is just a bit too open ended.

you might find this reference helpful:

www.njskylands.com

happiest girl
Dec '17

James on Main
Doggie stylish
Czig Mister
Monchy's
Stella g's
Turning heads salon
Arsituation

Grace Grace
Dec '17

GC-
Thanks. I don't have specific interests only was looking for suggestions. Good restaurants? family oriented areas/activities?

Happiest girl-
Thank you for that link! Read through some of it, looks interesting, and gave me some ideas. Very informative. I appreciate it, thanks again.

If you're interested in restaurants then just do a Forum Search at the top of the page. Or browse through the topics. Restaurants are talked about almost every week, so there's lots of info already listed.

Family activities probably depends on outside or inside. There are a lot of farms that run weekend events mostly from spring to fall. Inside check into any of the sports facilities, the two local libraries, dance studios, and the art places.

A good on line resource for that is www.hackettstownbid.com for both the events and the list of businesses to go through.

Welcome to the area. Here is another good resource.

http://explorewarren.org

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

dragons hoard

Visited only once with my 6 year old boy.
This place sells board games ..not your average checkers..but some really cool artsy games..Magic is one of them. They have tables in the back where the kids or adults can play games as long as they like..no fees. Also you can grab a game from their shelves to play. Very cool place for kids to learn something new and socialize

Stephens State Park- free
Hacklebarney StatecPark- free
Schooley's Mt. Park-free
All within 15-25 minutes- superb public areas-all gratis

Stymie Stymie
Dec '17

Welcome to Hackettstown! You mentioned that you have an 11 year old child. Sign ups for spring recreation sports are coming up. Very reasonably priced and a great way to get out and meet people in the community! Look under the events tab for upcoming sign up info. Hope you like it here-it is a great place to raise kids!

townies townies
Dec '17

Lakota Wolf Preserve - 2 hour tour - check their website for times of tours - and perhaps not on a day that is totally freezing

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '17

On Kings Hwy there is an Alpaca farm and, if you make reservations, you can take one for a walk!

There are great places in the area to go for both adults and children. You should sign up for the emails/posts from Warren County, called Warren County Wanderings, for info on places to go, things to do, events coming up. Here are just a few that come to mind after the winter: Highland Airs Alpaca Ranch; Donaldson's Farm - Farm Market (lots of events, activities, sunflower tours in the late summer/early fall, and Summer Nights on the Farm on Friday evenings in the summer w/petting animals, free music, food (for a price), BYO chairs, etc.; hayrides; strawberry picking; apple and pumpkin picking; corn maze, etc. Also Well-Sweep Herb Farm; Orchard View Lavender Farm; Hacklebarney State Park and other state parks in the area; Hacklebarney Cider Mill; Valley Shepherd Creamery (cheesemaking tours, shop, etc.); Alsede Farm in Chester (expensive and a fee for a lot of things; Tranquility Farm; Ort Farm. There are fabulous restaurants including Stella G's on Main Street for breakfast, brunch or lunch; James on Main farm-to-table restaurant is excellent; TOPO and Pandan Room restaurants both owned by chef Jay Chai. Highly recommend Hometowne Hardware. The Hackettstown Business Improvement Distriict (BID) runs lots of events throughout the year. A schedule is online - May carnival, street fairs, community events often involving Mars Wrigley candy company; Centenary University; and the hospital. Centenary has a wonderful performing arts center on campus with theater, music, dance, etc., performances. For adults and childen. Hackettstown Library and Warren County Library in Independence. There's so much to do depending on your interests, children's ages, etc. Tubing on the Delaware River; the Delaware Water Gap; and hot dogs at Johnny's Hot Dogs on Rt. 46 in nearby Buttzville. Wine tastings at vineyards; events run by the Musconetcong Watershed Associaton; and things at Waterloo Village. See this website and its various resources. http://www.co.warren.nj.us/visitwarren.html Also check out two or three arts/crafts places in Hackettstown. Classes, special events offered. There is info on the Hackettstown BID website. One is Art du Jour. www.hackettstownbid.com or org.com.

Kathy Bird Kathy Bird
Dec '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.