Dog Wash

Just wanted to poll Hackettstown Lifers about possibly opening a Dog Wash in Hackettstown/Mansfield.

It would be a self wash and an option for us to do the washing for you.

Indoor location.

It would offer everything except haircuts.

Would also offer coaching on how to properly bath your dog.

Also some retail but not the same stuff as PetValu, do not want to compete.

I appreciate and respect your feedback.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Dog Wash Dog Wash
Nov '18

Pet valu already has all that. Not sure if the market has enough to support it. May need some further offerings to make a good run at it.

I can't see the need for a third one in the area. Petvalu has it as well as Scrub A Dub Doggie on Main Street.

As far as other items for retail sale that could be a tough road to hoe. With several other retailers in the area selling pet goods and foods, and the fact that Chewy.com blows all others away by far with price and free delivery I don't see a great need or great success.

I think this is a fantastic idea! Giving some more options into it, making homemade dog treats will add just the touch! I think you should go for it. Its unfortunate that people will "downgrade" your idea, so to speak; and state that chewey provides prices cheaper. If we supported mom and pop shops, like we do for online products, so many places wouldn't have to go out of business, I'm all for this idea!!

Isnt that the exact business of Scrub a Dub Doggie?

Seenit
Nov '18

Wasn't there already a business that offered exactly the same in riverside plaza? I forget the name, but I don't believe they lasted very long.

"Its unfortunate that people will "downgrade" your idea, so to speak; and state that chewey provides prices cheaper."

Kate, this person asked for an opinion and Greg gave one- I don't think he was "downgrading", and in fact, I agree with him and think it is good advice. However, my agreement is only an opinion as well, and I believe he has given his opinion to be helpful, not hurtful, same as me.

I could be wrong- if the rent is low enough, the traffic is high enough, employees vs self proprietor- how much invested for construction/plumbing- lots of variables. If you do the math and it works for you, go for it. I really wish for your success...

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

Thanks Dodgebaal that is exactly how I meant it. Not being a Debbie Downer at all. Just my 2 cents as asked for.

I agree I wish all mom and pop stores could compete with the large online retailers but they can't unfortunately. I always try local first. For example my dogs love Jolly Balls. Pet Valu had them for $24.99 I believe it was. Chewy had the same exact item for $10.99 with free shipping. It's a no brainier.

"I agree I wish all mom and pop stores could compete with the large online retailers "

They could, if we did not outsource/ bring in Visa workers/ recruit foreigners, and if all workers received the pay, pensions, and benefits of NJ teachers and police. Let's not forget the fact that younger workers are supporting entitlements they are not going to receive, and that there is an 80 billion dollar debt owed to retirees. Yeah, their pet needs a treat, they can't afford to pay double like grandma and grandpa can.

Notwithstanding, Greg, you gave advice that was asked and you were honest. I admire that in a person. No sugar coating, not meant to be harmful, in fact, meant to be helpful. Better to be like that than to fudge it. The original poster can take your opinion, plus others, plus their own data, and make a conscious decision. Sometimes when asking for other's opinions something that you had never thought about comes into focus. I, as well as you, hope that no matter what decision they make they are successful.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

If I have to get wet and dirty washing my dog, I'll do it at home. But people are willing to pay about $50 to have their dog washed by someone else and have their toenails trimmed as well. Go that route. And if you can come to their houses you'll make a lot more money. But even if you don't, the best dog wash and grooming places in the Hackettstown area have a 2-month booking wait, so I think you'd do well opening up a place that bathes dogs.

Older Mom Older Mom
Nov '18

Honestly, I would go with a mobile dog grooming gig before I'd set up a stationary shop. I live in Columbia and I had a mobile groomer come every six weeks to give my vizsla a bath. She was out of Blairstown, but unfortunately, she retired. We both miss her a lot. Come to think of it, my poor dawg hasn't had a bath since summer. : (

Mammy Mammy
Nov '18

Scrub a dub Doggie on Main St offers a self wash..$17.00 for a dog under 70lbs.and $20.00 for over that n they throw in a nail trim,ear clean,shampoo,towels n they do all the clean up..it's a good idea but you would have to do better than that price wise..maybe Mobil is the way to go..good luck!

Ginger Ginger
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.