Townhouses at Hastings Square

Is anyone familiar or live in one of the townhouses at Hastings Square. I'm Putting my house up for sale in the spring and would like to downsize to a townhouse. I am looking at Oakhill/Panther Valley or Hastings Square. I know people who live in Oakhill and Panther Valley so am familiar with those locations. Would like to find out some info about Hastings Square - I have heard that the construction is not that good, but only heresay - would like to hear from anyone who lives there - pros and cons. Thanks for any information.

marjon marjon
Nov '18

those townhouses in Hastings Square are beautiful, but a construction guy told me (or I read it online) that the entrance ways into the townhouses leak into the walls.

don't quote me, but is that what you heard about some of the homes there?

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '18

Beware of the “ low” maintenance fee.
Owners responsible for roofs, exterior painting,exterior trim replacement and painting, driveway apron, and decks which leak and cause a major problem and a significant expense.
All owners responsibility.

Stymie Stymie
Nov '18

Didn't hear specifically about leaks at entry way was more that the general overall construction was not very good.

Wasn't aware that the HOA fees didn't include outside maintenance. Oakhill and Panther Valley maintenance fees include all exterior repairs including roof and deck. Thanks Stymie for that info.

marjon marjon
Nov '18

I owned a patio home there. Construction of the units isn’t the best. . The sliders leak, the railroad ties rot which you have to replace , the entry steps concrete crumbles, etc. the maintenance fee is only for lawn care, snow removal and the pool. You are responsible for everything on your unit. They require you to paint the unit every 3 years even if it doesn’t need it. If you can afford the repairs than I will say the complex is very nice, people are friendly, and the pool and tennis are a nice plus. It does take a good 15 mins to drive up 46 to 80 entrance . Keep that in mind.

Bob18 Bob18
Dec '18

Not much energy thought in mind when designing these homes, builders grade materials, especially windows and sliding glass doors. a lot of homeowners have already replaced windows,doors, siding, Sounds like money pit!

Have you checked out the townhouses in Warren Village, over by Donaldson Farm? The HOA covers all outside issues. They have a private pool that has a lifeguard, a walking track, a small playground, and a baseball field. Check out zillow for places for sale on Riva Drive, Cynthia Drive and Marilyn Drive.

Best. Day. Ever. Best. Day. Ever.
Dec '18

I know you asked about Hastings, but I'm in Oak Hill and even though we I think our maintenance fees are a bit on the high side (especially w/ no pool), It is money very well spent IMHO. Our section covers all exterior to the building (roof, deck, siding) plus the lawn/gardens. The only thing they make us do is dryer vent cleaning ever 2 or 3 years. The snow removal is excellent (they shovel right to your door) and they seem to quickly repair any damages.

I've heard from a friend of a friend that Hastings basically nickel and dimes you to death. If it snows too much, here's the bill. Need to stain your deck - here's your bill. I'm glad we moved where we did and would highly recommend Oak Hill.

jnnjr jnnjr
Dec '18

Disagree on Oak Hill. Most of the outsides of the buildings are in serious need of powerwashing. Decks on some of the units were painted carelessly and stain splattered on the side of the townhouses. The two water pools on the hospital side are full of trash and flies and mosquitoes. So sorry to be stuck here. Management is rude on the phone, don't care. Only plus, snow clearing was decent.

Acl76 Acl76
Dec '18

@Acl76, That must be your section, then. (for those that don't know, there are 3 sections of Oak Hill - each run independent of each other, and then you pay to the Oak Hill Master HOA for common areas) Our building was just powerwashed this past spring/summer. Both times our deck was stained since I've lived there had no problems with splatter. When they painted the trim around the doors/windows, I'll admit that some of the trim work was not at tidey as I'd like, but overall, we have had no complaints. I've only called management once or twice in 6 years and they weren't rude, but I had a quick question that was easily answered (ie. it wasn't anything taxing on them). Sorry you have such a bad experience w/ the community

jnnjr jnnjr
Dec '18

Warren Village - there is cinderblock between every *other* unit, which is really unfortunate because that means it's just sheetrock that alternates. This makes for very loud living - you'll hear everything from the sheetrock walled neighbor.

ever look at the peach tree village Townhomes

Thanks everyone for all the feedback - Too much negative about Hastings Square - guess I'll cross that off my list.

I had considered Peachtree Village - but I'm up on Realtor.com practically everyday just checking out what's available and I never see any of their townhomes for sale.

Didn't know Oakhill was divided into 3 sections - Not having a pool is not a big issue with me - I'm retired and am more concerned with not having to maintain outside -snow/landscaping/deck -
I love this site - people always willing to give advice and help when needed!!
Thanks Again.

marjon marjon
Dec '18

Six years in Panther Valley - not my first HOA community. We are more than pleased with all outdoor maintenance, response to our maintenance needs, the lack of sound between units -at least in our section - and the general beauty of the area.

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

I recently did a LOT of condo shopping/comparing in the area. (I just went under contract to buy one in Clinton Township.) I'll give you a summary of what I found.

Hastings Square: Attractive, plenty nearby, but too expensive, considering you're responsible for so much of the outside maintenance, and not particularly well built, IMO. Not a great HOA.
Panther Valley: Nice community. Nice HOA (though a bit pricey). But all way too expensive, especially considering there's just not much nearby (particularly shopping)--it can take you 10 minutes, just to get out of the complex. Great if you commute in I-80.
Oak Hill: Kinda of average, in every way--it depends on where you live, in the community. Not great; not bad. I think the cost of units, and the fees and taxes, are all a bit high, but if you really want to live in a condo in H-town, not a bad choice.

I also looked at

Fairway Greens (Washington): Nice places, nice community, well--run HOA. But a bit remote, high HOA fees (and fairly high taxes). But the places are reasonably priced.
Oxford Crossing (Oxford): Decent, basic, low prices. But very remote, and the HOA is lousy and not financially stable.

Every condo I found in Mt. Olive was way overpriced, with high taxes.

Of course, we all have our own experiences, our own preferences, our own needs, and our own finances. But personally, I'd recommend against Hastings Square.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Dec '18

Also, note the difference between a condo & a townhouse. That is often the difference between the maintenance on them. You basically own "the inside" of a condo. That's why the assn maintains more than on a townhouse.

tmb123 tmb123
Dec '18

tmb - not true here - same maintenance on my townhome - roofs, siding, powerwashing, powerwashing and repainting decks, all grounds maintenance including plowing driveways and shoveling front walks -

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

Agree with all the comments regarding the townhouses in Hastings. In addition, there are many home owners neglect there side ie replacement of rotted wood gutters, etc. I have had to replace my neighbors wall due to rotting wood which was causing a leak in my unit. I have spoken to other neighbors who have encountered the similar circumstances.

Jasmin Jasmin
Dec '18

That is a more "traditional" definition of a condo and a townhome. These days, the words are often used interchangeably.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Dec '18

Try the 2 condos or townhouses in Stanhope (Rt. 206, or just off of).

Hackresident Hackresident
Dec '18

I was looking at condos recently and found a couple listed in the Hills of Independence off Rt 46 just outside of Hackettstown. Small community with a pool and children's play area.

usanavy usanavy
Dec '18

Maintenance fee there covers almost everything- exterior painting- roof- decks-even trash removal 2x week at the curb. has a pool and private playground.

Stymie Stymie
Dec '18

Hills of Independence are the worst. Same problems as Hastings and nothing but hills and a million steps to climb as well

Bob18 Bob18
Dec '18

I took a quick look at The Hills. Attractive places, cheaper than living in town but close enough to shopping and such. But I agree--all those steps; ugh. And what really made me give up on them was the driving and parking. If there is ever a snowstorm and they don't completely clear that road immediately, I don't want to have to try driving up that single, steep road, to try to get home.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Dec '18

Err..Bob18.
It is named the HILLS of Independence

Stymie Stymie
Dec '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.