Missing Money, Found Money

I've posted similar before and was just able to recover about $3400 in my mom's name (she passed in 2012). In the past I've found things for others. there are two websites to try: https://www.unclaimedproperty.nj.gov. and missing money.com

I hope you find some.

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '21

I tried this a few months ago and found that the state was holding a security deposit from a Utility company for my father-in-law who passed away in 2016. Definitely worth looking into.

Big Al Big Al
Jul '21

I got about $200 from “missing money”. The source of the money was unknown. The site is legit. I’ve looked up people I know and let them know what I found out. Their money is still sitting there. Oh, well. I tried. Anyway, hope this forum can benefit from this information. Good thread, 4catmom!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '21

I was able to get about $3,000 from an old life insurance policy from my grandparents. It took some work but it was worth the effort.

they are asking for your SSN to put in claim I am skeptical about supplying that info did anyone of you above also had to supply your SSN to do a claim. There is something with my Mom's name on this site.

Jimt1058
Jul '21

Jim1058

Here is contact info

Claims Support Team
Unclaimed Property Administration
unclaimedproperty@treas.nj.gov
609-292-9200                  

Bug3
Jul '21

I have done this several times - no issue with answering all questions for me

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '21

My brother was the executor for my mom's will. I called him and a we have another brother already checking into this thanks everyone !!!

Jimt1058
Jul '21

Thanks, I got $314.81 that was sitting there since 2016. I could have sworn I checked about 3 years ago but happy with the find.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '21

ONE MORE TIME: Just found a neighbor's name - again
https://unclaimedfunds.nj.gov/app/claim-search

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '23

How does that conversation go? "hey, I was creepin about the internet...."

Babbit Babbit
Feb '23

when I've found friends on the site - they have been very appreciative -

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '23

I have a friend who searches similar sites using celebrity names. You'd be surprised as to what some folks have out there unclaimed.

I too searched a neighbor's name as a kind gesture. They were very appreciative that I did that for them.

There ya go, Babbit…”as a kind gesture”. That’s why I’m “creepy”, also. We appreciate your compliments, though. For the other readers….

“MissingMoney” is now NJ.Gov. for us. Here’s the link

https://nj.gov/treasury/unclaimed-property/

Probably brings you to the same link 4catmom posted. I did mine several years ago.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Feb '23

Hackettstown is not far from the borders of Pennsylvania and New York. Even if you haven't lived there many of us have dealt with businesses there. Good idea to check the web sites of those other states too.

A couple of years ago this post reminded me to check other states and it turned out New York had a refund waiting for me. It happened in PA and they passed it to NY instead of NJ. Not hard to collect and a nice check to receive out of the blue.

Thank you for this information, waiting for me was $1,111.00!!

Sarah
Feb '23

great, Sarah

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '23

I received 2 letters in the past saying I'm owed money due to my mother's death and another letter for my fathers death

Robert terzano Robert terzano
June 29th

That sounds like a third party soliciting you. Your best bet is to search the state websites usually linked to their treasury department. For example here is the NJ website:

https://www.nj.gov/treasury/unclaimed-property/

Most states will have a similar site. Some will indicate the amount prior to initiating a claim. Fun to do on the California site and pick random public figures, actors etc. There is no need to ever use or have a third party "secure" any assets for you. Search names as well as any business owned at any time by that person. I have had lots of success retrieving personal as well as defunct business assets this way.

Greg- You da man! Just fiddled with that site and my son is getting $60.00 plus interest from somewhere. He got an email confirmation and will get a check and an explanation of the source of the $ in 2-3 weeks.
Thanks bro.

ps PLUS INTEREST !

bubba
June 29th

You're welcome! I forgot to mention the interest portion. That is a bonus. I am actually working on a claim for a business that I was involved in way back that has unclaimed assets. It turns out there is $2200 waiting to be claimed. With interest it should be enough to buy 3-4 bags of groceries... LOL

I encourage everyone to take a look at the site above. You never know...

Can the claims be for money owed?

Kathy
July 1st

No. Someone will find YOU if you owe money! LOL. The monies owed to you or a business is like playing hide and seek by the treasury department... LOL.

Thanks, Greg...

"Thank you for contacting the New Jersey Unclaimed Property Administration. Your claim has been received and is being processed. You will be contacted via email if additional information is needed. Otherwise, a check in the amount of $197.49, plus interest, will be mailed to the address you provided within 2-3 weeks. You will receive a separate letter identifying the funds included in your payment."

Looks like I'll be smoking brisket instead of ribs this holiday weekend.

ianimal ianimal
July 3rd

That's great! You're welcome. I'm glad you scored some of your own money back.

It's a helluva coincidence that you mention smoking a brisket as opposed to ribs this weekend. I just had a conversation with my son last night about ribs or brisket this weekend as well. In fact I was researching Costco prime or choice briskets this morning. It appears many feel the choice may be just as good as prime. It's not a huge difference in cost but one does need a few coldies while waiting for that delicious beefy goodness to smoke.

Brisket *instead of* ribs?? Why have to chose?

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Missing Money, Found Money
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.