albino deer

I do remember an old thread on this subject, but has anyone seen one recently? If so, where and when?

jane doe jane doe
Apr '12

Saw one a few months ago in Califon. Ran across the road in front of me. Amazing.

Jackie Jackie
Apr '12

My husband and I were walking our dogs last week and saw an albino squirrel...stood out like a sore thumb. No deer though.

Natalie
Apr '12

I have one on my property/vicinity of where I live. Seen him/her a couple times.

FitnessCoach FitnessCoach
Apr '12

I shot one years ago. It was so cold out that day that the blood clotted right up and I lost the trail.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '12

Question @Metsman. Why would you shoot at something so rare?

suzique suzique
Apr '12

Re: albino deer

I saw this part albino fawn, last September, in a development off of Danville Mountain Road, in Great Meadows.

jennymc jennymc
Apr '12

Why not? It was a big bodied buck. Might have mounted him if I got him.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '12

Metsman, you missed your fun mounting him, you would be better off with a doe! Because of your actions this wounded animal most likely suffered for awhile, and then simply rotted away in the woods. What a wonderful thought!

QUINLAN106
Apr '12

Well maybe target practice is in order? Hopefully if you did get him you would have eaten him as well.

suzique suzique
Apr '12

It was a 100 yard shot. I clipped him in the lung, but he still got away. I eat everything I kill. Made some venison stew yesterday with the last of my venison.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '12

The photo is NOT of an albino deer, but a piebald - there is a difference.

An albino lacks natural pigmentation so they will be completely white and have red eyes.

A piebald is a genetic mutation. It will have normal hooves and eyes, but have freckles, spots or patches of white mixed within the normal coat.

Google it for more info....

honey badger honey badger
Apr '12

QUINLAN106,

Hunters do not always recover every deer they shoot at. It's reality. I spent a long time looking for it. Once the blood trail dries up, there's not much you can do.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '12

So, you were a "football" field away from this deer, using I assume a rifle, and you are sure you "clipped" him in the lung, which according to deer anatomy, is a 10 inch diameter circle, and your deer ran, are you SURE you clipped him in the lung? To be honest, I think you hit him in the shoulder!

QUINLAN106
Apr '12

Well you are an honest hunter eating what you kill! BUT I thought the "kill" shot was the heart? That way they drop almost instantly.... LOL @Miller106 wacka wacka!

suzique suzique
Apr '12

Metsman - You should have known better than to post what you did. Quick, take cover. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

It was a frothy kind of blood on the ground that comes from hitting a deer in the lungs. I may have just nicked the lungs. Who knows. I followed it for almost a mile before the blood stopped.

Yeah Calico... What was I thinking. LOL... If I hit one with my car no one would care. The fact that I shot it and it got away makes me a horrible person. LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '12

Metsman - I hit one with my car last Oct. I didn't kill it, it ran off into the woods. I felt badly, but what could I do? The majority of hunters are respectful. Yes, you go for the drop instantly shot, but just like most things in life, it doesn't always work out that way. When that happens, you try your best to track the animal down. It's unfortunate when an animal is not found, because it will suffer. On the other side of the coin, it provides food for other animals in the wild.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

My dad shot one last season that he knocked down with what he thought was a kill shot and the thing ran off and stopped bleeding. It happens.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '12

Plus, a "football field" shot is NOT an excessive distance like QUINLAN is implying. Rifles can be accurate to 1000+ yards. There's a reason shooting ranges have 100 yard benches, sometimes more.

I have literally (during target practice with my brother's rifle) hit a quarter at 100 yards, and I have only taken maybe a dozen shots with that firearm.

Now, just because you can hit a 1" diameter circle at a target range doesn't make it easy to do so in the field. Holding the rifle without a rest, different wind patterns, nicking a stick or two with the bullet can all knock it off course by several inches making even a perfectly aimed shot not hit where you want.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '12

Don't worry Metsman - I chopped up a bunch of perfectly healthy scallions yesterday. They screamed a little bit; feel kind of bad just tossing some of them into the garbage. Luckily, their little bulbs are being used to grow new offspring in a cup of water by the window.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.