Kitchen cabinet refacing?

Has anyone had their kitchen cabinets refaced through Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears or even another company? What was the cost, and was it worth it in retrospect? Any other suggestions or advice. (I have already determined that painting them would not help their appearance.) Thanks.

dr2mom dr2mom
Oct '12

Lowes no longer does cabinet refacing. The conclusion was that for the cost of refacing 15-20k.. you can get a beautiful new kitchen. There are many factors in the decision as to whether you want to reface. I would suggest talking to a refacing company getting a quote then get a free quote for new and make the call after getting some numbers and perspective.
Both Lowes and Depot give free quotes on New.
Sears and Cabinet majic do refacing.

exhuberant! exhuberant!
Oct '12

Mom was satisfied with KitchenMagic. They did a pretty good job, but you need to stay on top of them to avoid any problems/misunderstandings, IMO. Cost was reasonable, and she has an average size kitchen with about 10 cabinets.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '12

Daughter found a company called "All Inclusive" in Easton who went to the house,
showed her samples of everything, tile, granite and cabinet doors. Her job was done in five days. Their # is 1-800-559-1582. I went to Home Depot and rhe Home Remodelers checked
my cabinets and deemed them OK for new doors and drawers and refaced where
necessary. I had a six week wait from the salesman to the carpenter. I had a hard
time finding granite and had to look around several places. Then, in desperation
I chose formica. Called company . They said all countertops must be removed
prior to measurement for the formica. Hired people privately because Home Depot wanted $640.00 to do that job.Now I have no sink or countertops. Date
for installation 2 to 4 weeks. Cancelled order which was prepaid.Go to Stroudsburg to All Granite and find one I
like. Had problems with granite people regarding leveling of cabinets. They
do not do electric, plumbing or carpentry. Called Home Remodelers who said I was on my own since they didn't remove countertops. Hired carpenter who came 3 times to
suit the granite people. Cost $250. Granite people do not come to NJ every day I had to pay extra which was fair because they have 3 - 4 men to pay plus gas for
truck. Ordered sink, faucets, tile backsplash from Home Depot. Some have to be
delivered (special order) My son and friend had experience with tile so they put
that on. All in all, I was washing dishes in the basement for a month. Still waiting for the electrician to install exhaust fan. Redoing your present cabs is about 1/2 the
cost of new cabs. Would I do it my way again? No. I'd follow my daughters
advice and check out her people first. Lots of luck. Do a lot of research first. Price depends on size, countertop, cost of cabinets. Let me know how you decide....

Dolores Dolores
Oct '12

Just wondering MeisterNJ, do you know approximately what the cost was? Thanks.

dr2mom dr2mom
Oct '12

Want to say 6-8k? It's been a few years. They resurface the cabinet boxes and put new doors on. I did a tile backsplash for her. I think the cabinets took 3-4 days. Can't remember if they also did the countertop, which is silestone.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '12

Thanks everyone for the valuable information, appreciate it!

dr2mom dr2mom
Oct '12

We had this done many years ago when we first moved into our home and the kitchen needed work badly. We did the tub refacing and also the kitchen cabinets. The bathroom came out really good but the kitchen wound up being a mess and when we tried to get the company to come back and recitfy the situation they came once and then never showed back up to do the work. Wound up getting a private contractor to fix the problems. I cannot even remember the company name that did it but it was through one of the ads in a magazine. If I had to do it again..I would just get new cabinets installed.

joyful joyful
Oct '12

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare, and something I am definitely trying to avoid, joyful. Thanks for the input!

dr2mom dr2mom
Oct '12

FYI, make sure you check references and get someone reputable. The people who owner our old house before used a cheap group and the "refacing" started pulling off the cabinets soon after we bought. We had to go around a reglue areas.

Trying to Help Trying to Help
Oct '12

Thanks everyone for the great info!

dr2mom dr2mom
Oct '12

I would not recommend using Lowes or Home Depot for anything major. I recently had Lowes do work for me and their subcontractor was awful. A job that should have been 3 to 4 weeks is now on week 9. The kitchen is functional but there are things that are still not done. They also require full payment up front so you have nothing to hold back if there is issue as well.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Oct '12

Thanks, Mommyof3....good to know.

dr2mom dr2mom
Oct '12

Has anyone used Kitchen Magic for refacing? If so, were you happy with the results?

need new kitchen
Jan '14

Read up thread, need new kitchen.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

There was only one comment specific to quality of work for Kitchen Magic. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with them.

need new kitchen
Jan '14

check out painted barn on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ThePaintedBarn.Logsdon

take a look at some of the pictures. Ive had some furniture done and loved it, thinking of doing the cabinets next just need more money :(

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=203290543192970&set=pb.137844079737617.-2207520000.1390404050.&type=3&theater

nutty nutty
Jan '14

There are several companies that do refacing. However, before considering them, you should first consider the type and condition of your cabinets.

If you have good-quality, good-condition SOLID-wood cabinets, and if you're happy with the rest of your kitchen (like the counters), then refacing can be a good idea. Whether or not you plan to stay in your home, for a considerable period of time, is also a consideration.

However, sometimes, it's ultimately cheaper to buy new cabinets than to have the old ones refaced. If you wait for it, both Home Depot and Lowe's regularly have sales with 20% off all in-stock kitchen cabinets. Combine that with coupons and/or special credit-card financing, and you can replace all the cabinets in a modest kitchen for well under $2,000, and you might not have to pay for it all for a year or two. (I recently bought 8 cabinets for about $1,100, including delivery, with 24 months deferred financing!) Of course, you have to figure in labor, and maybe delivery (around $65 or so), but you may find that the total cost is actually far LESS than refacing your old cabinets. And if you're thinking about replacing your counters, sink, etc. anyway, it's convenient to do it all at once. You can also consider installing them yourself, if you're handy, or saving a bit of money by removing the old cabinets yourself (since it doesn't require much skilled labor). I also know that there USED to be local companies that would come and remove all of your existing cabinets, for free (which they would later re-sell), which would save you some money on labor, but you'd have to try to find them.

So, do some serious number-crunching and planning, before you simply decide to go with refacing.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jan '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.